News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off Topic / Re: Things that make you go WT...
Last post by Rockula - Today at 06:05:38 PM
I lurk. I appreciate. I Moderate. I've been here a long time.

I rarely offer comments as I often do not have the information or the skills to make an informed comment on Steampunk constructions. I'm more a reader of Steampunk and a watcher of Steampunk and a social gathering with Steampunks kind of person.

But I also notice an increase in aggressive posting and I really don't like it.

It's like politics; something that is not tolerated.
Aural-Ocular / Re: The Fourth Doctor Who Thre...
Last post by Justin Time - Today at 01:56:36 PM
I've said it before elsewhere on BG; The character of the Doctor should always have remained asexual, then viewers could speculate or project their own sexuality onto him.

The recent garbage they did to retcon Davros into, simply, an evil, white male because he was offensive to the handicapped infuriated me.  I don't imagine the BBC was flooded with complaints from people in wheelchairs who felt that a mutated megalomaniac was clearly intended as an offensive anti-disabled people character. ::)

I liked the aspect that NuWho brought to the Doctor as 'the man who makes people better', but that's about as far as positive contributions to DW "lore" the new show has made, IMO.

The show has always had a spotty record on quality of writing (and acting) but the days of great stories/concepts beyond the wonky sets & FX seem to have given way to mediocre-at-best writing and flashy CGI.  It was also always intended as a family show that would appeal on different levels for the varied ages of the viewers.  That requires clever writers, not just farting aliens or monsters made of boogers.

Rather like most new reboots of other old IP, the attitude of "This ain't your father's....", "If you don't love what we're doing now, then you were never a true fan" just speaks to the dismissive ageism rampant in Whollyodd Hollywood these days.  You don't care about my old fan opinion, then you don't get my old fan viewership or any of my old fan disposable income for merchandise.

Now get off my lawn, ya hippies! ;)

JIT
Trading / Where to Get Video Game Jacket...
Last post by sethhoover112 - Today at 11:13:43 AM
Here you can shop the best ever items you had the opportunity to have a look at for a split second on a tv screen, and we bring it to you delightfully. video game jackets and outerwear throughout the year are offered at amazing deals and prices to make our customer feel best while they shop for their favourites.
United Kingdom / Re: UK Steampunks
Last post by Cora Courcelle - Yesterday at 09:53:22 PM
A Splendid Day Out is back at Morecambe in a few weeks, a welcome return. Again, details are on facebook.
We're planning to be there.
Last post by Cora Courcelle - Yesterday at 09:45:20 PM
I've been trying to formulate my thoughts, to be fair to everyone involved in the production, but you know what, I can't be bothered.
I doubt if I will watch any more because I don't want to give the BBC and Disney the satisfaction of increasing their viewing figures. Doctor Who used to be something you could watch on many levels and the Doctor was a character who made you think about the difficult questions and the importance of everyone's opinions. No longer I'm afraid; now if you disagree you're just wrong. If you don't like something in the past it doesn't matter, you can just wipe it out and start again.
Welcome to Doctor Who season 1!

Aural-Ocular / Re: What Are You Listening To?...
Last post by Justin Time - Yesterday at 06:34:10 PM
Today I'm listening to:
and

JIT
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 03:25:51 PM
Quote from: Justin Time on Yesterday at 02:18:44 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on May 12, 2024, 06:23:28 AMI just found out that Disney is now involved and Russell now has a reported budget of 10 million per episode.

"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
― Orson Welles

The lack of funds is what made the Classic DW team (and other shows) come up with clever and innovative ideas. No more; just throw some CGI at it.

I'm not bothering with the RTD-led Disney reboot.  Partly since the three Tennant specials were, IMO, a waste of time, money and potential.  But mostly because, since I am an older, white, straight, CIS male, I have already been told that I "don't matter" to NuWho, fandom or society in general these days.  Any criticism I'd make (minor, constructive or otherwise) will be dismissed as me being a "fossil who resists change" or that I'm "just a hater".  Intelligent, rational debate and differing opinions are dead in the current climate.

Thankfully, BG is still a civil place.

JIT

As one fossil to another...... ANY opinion you have does matter, liked or not, in this day and age of political correctness and woke attitudes gone bonkers to the point of being on the borders of rediculous...... Umm as long as it's within forum rules, no racism or politics..... I think you have a right to air your thoughts on any subject and contribute to a discussion of your choice. It's a rather large forum, dig around a bit...... Just my opinion.
Last post by Justin Time - Yesterday at 02:18:44 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on May 12, 2024, 06:23:28 AMI just found out that Disney is now involved and Russell now has a reported budget of 10 million per episode.

"The absence of limitations is the enemy of art."
― Orson Welles

The lack of funds is what made the Classic DW team (and other shows) come up with clever and innovative ideas. No more; just throw some CGI at it.

I'm not bothering with the RTD-led Disney reboot.  Partly since the three Tennant specials were, IMO, a waste of time, money and potential.  But mostly because, since I am an older, white, straight, CIS male, I have already been told that I "don't matter" to NuWho, fandom or society in general these days.  Any criticism I'd make (minor, constructive or otherwise) will be dismissed as me being a "fossil who resists change" or that I'm "just a hater".  Intelligent, rational debate and differing opinions are dead in the current climate.

Thankfully, BG is still a civil place.

JIT
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - Yesterday at 12:07:46 PM
Quote from: Rockula on May 12, 2024, 03:58:28 PMI watched them. I enjoyed them. I'm not 'precious' about a TV show.

Neither am I really, could this just be yet another effort to get some kind of response longer than one sentence or a push of the like button?.......Hmmm...kinda makes you wonder, eh?

A forum should reciprocate........
Off Topic / Re: Things that make you go WT...
Last post by Ceir - May 12, 2024, 08:36:59 PM
A curiosity, perhaps a WhyTF. I've been binging a lot of let's-plays recently, and I was reminded of Consumable Syndrome. What is it about limited-use items in games - video or analog - that makes so many players adamantly prefer to lose rather than spend a resource. "But what if I need it later!" is a common cry, and then there is no later!