News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Tactile / Re: That 'big project' I've be...
Last post by James Harrison - Today at 03:19:03 PM
It's Edwardian / immediate pre-WWI.  Pretty standard British Stockbroker's Tudor / Arts and Crafts style really.
United Kingdom / Re: UK Steampunks
Last post by Sorontar - Today at 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: Cheshire Cat on Yesterday at 01:43:13 PM<personally-identifying information deleted at OP's request>
From an Oldie Newbie, I'd just like to say hello to all from the past future

Looks like I'm the only one on this forum even though Cottonopolis is a mere 2 leagues north
Welcome back. Old dogs and cats are always welcome.
Last post by Sorontar - Today at 12:25:59 PM
Now you have me interested in your neighbour's place across the road (not sure why I didn't notice it before). That seems to be fake Tudor above and Art Deco-ish below. How would you describe it?

Sorontar
Last post by James Harrison - Yesterday at 05:03:14 PM
Quote from: James Harrison on December 03, 2023, 03:29:34 PMAnd onto the 2024 programme. 

The first thing on the list is to finish off the window renewal programme.  There are two windows still to be replaced - in the back bedroom, and the bathroom.

Ah, yes, the bathroom.  I really, really don't like the existing bathroom suite, or bathroom layout.  It's perfectly serviceable, but it's really not compatible with the rest of the house.  The problem is that bathroom suites weren't really a thing in the Edwardian era.  And the Victorian/ Edwardian 'style' ones available just strike me as variously still too modern, too twee, or just plain unconvincing. 

This obviously is a part of the project that is not DIY-friendly.  I don't have a timeframe for when this bit will get underway. 

I'm also going to have to have part of the sitting room replastered. (Wasn't neededThe radiator has started to pull away from the wall, and whilst I've shored it up with some pieces of wood, clearly that's not a long term solution.  No, what is needed is for the radiator to be taken down and the crushed and crumbling plaster behind to be replaced.  Perhaps that's a Summer job. Fixed without ripping the whole thing down and out.

Then I want the flashing around the chimneys to be renewed, and I also want flashing to be installed around the bay window roof

Well, the bay window turned out needing a bit more than just some lead flashing.

The concrete/ cement joint detail around all of the roof edges - where it met the wall, where the roof hips met, under the bedroom window - all of that proved to be completely life expired.  To the point in some places it had fallen away completely and the wonder wasn't that it was leaking, but that it wasn't leaking worse.

I wanted to keep the original tiles but lost that argument, for the sake of longevity that was probably for the best. 

So this morning two guys turned up and I think we were all expecting it would be the work of a few hours to take the old tiles down and put the new battens/ tiles/ flashing on.  Good joke, it was an all-day event with a lot of hammering, cussing and talk of 'I don't know how we're to get this bit in'.  Nothing was square.  Nothing was symmetrical.  One side of the roof had a completely different geometry to the other.  It took about eight hours to finish the thing. 

That's how it was.

Much better.
Off Topic / Re: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Re...
Last post by LukeHogbin - Yesterday at 03:47:43 PM
Had a seizure on the night between Thursday and Friday and I'm still trying to recover from it. Blah.
United Kingdom / Re: UK Steampunks
Last post by Cheshire Cat - Yesterday at 01:43:13 PM
<personally-identifying information deleted at OP's request>
From an Oldie Newbie, I'd just like to say hello to all from the past future

Looks like I'm the only one on this forum even though Cottonopolis is a mere 2 leagues north
The Engine Room / Re: Delete request
Last post by von Corax - April 26, 2024, 08:23:41 PM
Generally speaking, we have a policy of not deleting posts or threads except under unusual circumstances, such as wildly inappropriate content. We (and I believe I am not alone in this belief) consider this forum to be an historical document describing the development of the Steampunk community, and that this history is worth preserving. By the same token I beg that you not attempt to expunge your own contributions to the community, although I have no way of preventing you from doing so.

I will, as you request, keep your account alive in the hope that you will eventually return to us. In the mean time, fair winds and following seas.
The Engine Room / Delete request
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - April 26, 2024, 01:41:02 PM
https://brassgoggles.net/forum/index.php/topic,51858.0.html

OK Iv'e had enough. Lack of replies and no show of interest, so I request the above thread be deleted.

Please delete my existance on the forum but keep the accont open and alive.`

Iv'e just closed my upload photo account so nothing shows anyway.

I plan to remain a member but basically I give up and just lurk like every other fucker here.

It's been an enjoyable ride over the last few decades.
Geographical / Re: Yeovil Railway Centre - St...
Last post by Sorontar - April 25, 2024, 11:58:07 AM
I think you are half a year too late.

Sorontar
Metaphysical / Re: Steampunk desktop themes: ...
Last post by yereverluvinunclebert - April 24, 2024, 04:41:08 PM

This shows my VB6/RC6 Panzer Storage desktop widget doing its stuff. Hoping the animation shows.

Finishing them off.