News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off Topic / Re: The Brassgoggles Model Mak...
Last post by Madasasteamfish - July 15, 2024, 08:49:08 AM
As far as my own knowledge goes, Sacre's locomotives did have a tendency to be somewhat *distinctive*.

Then again 19th Century Gorton did have a habit of producing "unique" designs (like their double track turntable).
Tactile / Re: That 'big project' I've be...
Last post by James Harrison - July 15, 2024, 07:40:23 AM
Day 7.  This was actually yesterday but it was a long day (we didn't finish until after 8, and had started at 9 in the morning).

Tiling is done, ready for the plumber. 
The Engine Room / Re: Two-Factor Authentication ...
Last post by RJBowman - July 15, 2024, 03:58:14 AM
As long as it isn't mandatory.
Off Topic / Re: Departed Cultural Icons 20...
Last post by rovingjack - July 14, 2024, 07:48:06 PM
Shannen Doherty of Charmed, 90210, and Heathers dead at 53 from cancer.

Richard Simmons on his 76th birthday from supposedly natural causes.

Anatomical / Re: Victorian food brands stil...
Last post by von Corax - July 14, 2024, 05:05:17 PM
Just a note: there are now links in the wiki which will create the US and UK lists. Go to Main->Food.
Off Topic / Re: YET *EVEN* MORE things tha...
Last post by von Corax - July 14, 2024, 04:38:12 PM
I just figured out how to edit the Wiki sidebar, and have added a link to the main Forum.
Last post by James Harrison - July 14, 2024, 12:16:59 PM
Quote from: The Bullet on July 14, 2024, 09:58:52 AMWow, that´s a cab design I have necer seen before.
Wondering about the reasons.....

There's a driving wheel coming back into the cab, with other locos you see a combined cab sheet and wheel splasher, like this:

So my guess is it's an attempt to fair the splasher into the cab sheet.  It's certainly unusual. 
Last post by James Harrison - July 14, 2024, 11:11:12 AM
To say I'm grateful to the guy doesn't even begin to scratch the surface; we had to call the plumber yesterday to ask him something and we were told the room has to be ready for tomorrow for the install or it will be held up for three weeks, because of other work booked in.  So it really was that close to going completely wrong. 

I did originally want a herringbone pattern but after thinking it over a little while I decided it was going to jar when viewed against the splashback.  Naturally I'm glad I made that decision now, after what's happened. 

Last post by The Bullet - July 14, 2024, 09:58:52 AM
Wow, that´s a cab design I have necer seen before.
Wondering about the reasons.....

Work continuess in "My Way".
New frame is installed, new chimney made and installed. Working on the drivetrain (wrong reduction, several different types of chain), cylinder and steamchest are being worked on by a friend.
We need a bigger steamchest. The old one is so flat that the slide valve almost blocks the steam inlet pipe when moving past it.
New blower and blastpipe to be made. Pumps have been overhauled. 1001 "little" jobs are waiting.

The renovation has taken the shape of a "down to the last bits" dissassembly. Some improvements will be made but I will try to keep most of the original looks.
The plan is to have it running under her own steam before December, sort out teething troubles and then give her a repaint.
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - July 14, 2024, 08:17:04 AM
Looking good but I would have gone herringbone or brickwork to break up the lines a bit. I know you want to match the washstand though.

Anyway grand job being done and bless the man for stepping in to save the day!