News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Tactile / Re: That 'big project' I've be...
Last post by James Harrison - February 14, 2024, 08:28:45 PM
Sitrep. The wash stand has arrived.
The marble base is physically fixed to the back; I cannot see a way of separating the two without causing damage.
It also sits quite happily, and looking very much at home, in my dining room.
Also, a dining room chair offered up to it is of a complementary height.
I think what I've done here is, I've bought myself a new desk.
Last post by James Harrison - February 14, 2024, 07:07:13 PM
Quote from: SeVeNeVeS on February 14, 2024, 08:32:54 AMI have to admit when the first windows were installed I wasn't too keen but now they are all in I must say looks fabulous.

I take it the plumbers had no issue with the waste.....great news and looking forward to seeing progress piccies in a few months.

Yeah, I'm really quite pleased with how the windows turned out.  Not exactly how I had in mind - the kitchen windows are to different proportions than the others, so they look a bit odd - but overall the effect is.... compelling.  If you just compare it with what I originally had (there's a photo right back on page 1 - just about exactly 4 years ago), the difference is really something. 

As for the notching of the joists, I don't think that's going to be possible. 

https://www.labc.co.uk/news/how-get-it-right-notches-holes-solid-timber-joists

Just 'cause the numbers seem to work doesn't mean it will be up to code... so I need an alternative.  One option could be to drop through the kitchen ceiling, run the pipe across the kitchen ceiling (I've got a good 8' or so headroom in there, if you say the pipe is dropping 18mm to the metre that's 18*2.75 + the 40mm pipe itself, calling it 100mm total / 4") and then out the kitchen wall and across to the main bathroom outflow.  Means I lose 4" in ceiling height- or maybe not. 

If you cast your mind back to the house tour video you'll remember there's a big boxed-out beam that spans across the kitchen.  Its a good 330mm deep or so.  As best as I can tell, that is where the wall used to be that split the kitchen into three (scullery, coal bunker and WC).  It's also supporting the bathroom's back wall.  If I can get my outflow pipe to that wall, we can drop it into the kitchen, it would cross the kitchen within the depth of that beam and then out. Then I simply have to box that pipe in with studwork and plasterboard or similar.  Means the box out becomes a bit wider but avoids notching joists, avoids lowering the ceiling, just seems to avoid so many issues. 

Of course I could also avoid them entirely just by keeping the bathroom layout exactly as it is....

Tactile / Re: Victorian Boombox Mark IV
Last post by J. Wilhelm - February 14, 2024, 07:02:37 PM
Quote from: Felscor on February 09, 2024, 09:45:49 PMWell sir, you have made a very fine product, and I am sorry to hear of your misfortune regarding place of residence.

I do find it a shock you're not some sort of engineer in a prosperous role, but what is certain is that you have a brain on your head and profound problem solving skills.

Best of luck in your new endeavours, and hopefully you can complete the very last steps in this project, and that it's not your last project.

Thank you kindly, sir. Actually I am a bona fide engineer (MS) in education, if not by practice. My story and the reason as to why I'm not employed as an engineer, has to do with a choice I made back in 2002, about 7 years before I joined this forum. Basically I accepted the role of head of a family business, in part due to family loyalty, and in part because it paid more than twice the salary of an entry level Masters in Engineering job, noting that at the time, SpaceX wasn't that relevant, and options were very limited in Texas for the aerospace industry.

To escape my fate, I needed to be a monster and abandon my elderly grandfather at the time, in 2002, renouncing all attachments to his family business after graduation and fleeing far away from the effects of his old age.  That would have set me on a very different foot path. Alas, the man raised me as a father, and I'm not a monster, for which I was soundly punished, in a way I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

PS if you're interested, I invite you to peruse my Meta Clubs thread  "The Guild of Icarus" at the Metaphysical section of this forum.
Off Topic / Re: Somewhere between Gaaaaah ...
Last post by J. Wilhelm - February 14, 2024, 01:59:41 PM
I've successfully moved into the new condominium.  The leased room has it's own bathroom and is very large with a walking closet.  It came furnished and was able to incorporate my own furniture, including a dresser and an entertainment system. 

But... the roommate loves to keep the house cold.  He opens the windows when the weather is just above freezing at night, so pretty much I rely on a small electric heater that's working most of the night.

I think the complex used to be 1960s or earlier mid century college dorm rooms that were renovated more recently to become privately owned condominiums.  The bathroom interiors look like they were built in the 1950s or 1940s, but the lavatory and commodes were renovated recently.  There's an electric heater built into the bathroom wall!!  The floors are stamped cement on the lower floor (dark brown finish).

I'm starting to see this as an old luxury hotel bedroom, and a temporary stay between 6 months and 1 year...  A "luxury bungalow," I like to call it.
Off Topic / Re: GAAAAAHHHHHH Mk.VI: The Re...
Last post by J. Wilhelm - February 14, 2024, 01:43:57 PM
Quote from: von Corax on February 12, 2024, 07:52:26 PMThe apartment I just moved out of had bedbugs and cockroaches. I've just learned that they followed me to the new place and I must get the entire house treated. Bleh! On the other hand, the rep said it would make treatment easier if I start unpacking my stuff now.

Sorry to hear that.  Cockroaches you can manage, but bedbugs are a plague of biblical proportions to deal with.  I've fought and won a war with bedbugs, but it took me 3 months,$300 worth of chemicals and performing a study to determine what would kill the adult bugs so they'd stop laying new eggs.  At the end, anything plastic or rubber would stick or downright melt into my carpet for about a year (the active ingredient was DEET, which is a plasticizer).

PS. The only other alternative is to stay away from the house for a few months, assuming they don't adopt another host nearby. If you lived in warmer (hot) weather, leaving the house with no artificial climate would kill them, as they're sensitive to heat.
Photography / Re: Contemporary Photography
Last post by Tomas29 - February 14, 2024, 09:25:59 AM
Photography / Re: Rusted relics
Last post by Tomas29 - February 14, 2024, 09:23:22 AM
Last post by SeVeNeVeS - February 14, 2024, 08:32:54 AM
I have to admit when the first windows were installed I wasn't too keen but now they are all in I must say looks fabulous.

I take it the plumbers had no issue with the waste.....great news and looking forward to seeing progress piccies in a few months.
Metaphysical / Re: What Was Your Gateway To ...
Last post by CrazedFandango - February 14, 2024, 08:08:48 AM
I've many influences in the era, but didn't really know it was Steampunk until recently.
Last post by James Harrison - February 13, 2024, 03:37:46 PM
So that bit done and out the way I've now had a chat with the plumber as to how exactly to get the bathroom remodelling sorted out.  They've suggested that I buy the fixtures and fittings myself, and they'll come and fit it.

That's one thing I was a bit unsure about, when you strip out a bathroom who actually orders the replacement bits, the client or the contractor...  so now at least I know I've got a green light to go out and start stockpiling the more run-of-the-mill bits without putting anybody's nose out of joint.

Then they've advised that they run on a 3-week lead time for booking in planned work, so it will probably be late Spring/ early Summer when we're good to go.