News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Master Wristwatch Thread

Started by Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD, June 27, 2008, 08:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

Ok guys, here it is. The thread dedicated to the non-steampunk watches that we all love so much.

I'll start:
My work bench @ the shop. It's a horrible mess.

Old Illinois that needs some hands and a case (I think I have both, just need to find them)

Longines from the '40's that I desperately want some hands and a case for.

The Zodiac automatic I'm wearing today (I'd like some info on this one if anyone knows anything) This thing ticks faster than any of the other watches I have making for a very smooth sweep.
the scratches are less apparent in person

And finally an Omega Seamaster DeVille in a 14K case (lugs are a bit mangled and it needs a new stem)

So... Post 'em if you've got 'em and like 'em.

I'll post more of the ones I actually wear when I get a chance, I'm at work so I've only got one of the daily wearers with me.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

HAC

On the Zodiac.. Just below the balance wheel in the pic, I can see a bit of the makers mark. there should be a number there as well.  Its most likely an ETA of some sort. The beat will be 28,800 bph, which gives you a pretty smooth sweep..

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

HAC

Ok.. Here's a few of my favorites from the collection.. We'll start with the purely mechanical ones (I''ll do the Accutrons later)

First off, two Omegas:
1940's Omega 30T2
Before:

After:

Another 1940's Omega:

Classic 1950's Elgin BW Raymond railroad watch, one of the first wristwatches to be  actually approved for railroad service.

and the Elgin 730A movement inside:

and a macro of the freesprung balance, which was unique in American watches at the time:

A 1968 Hamilton Chronograph, Landeron 248 movement:

And my two current favorites, both getting a lot of wrist time:

Oris BC3:

and my Rolex ref 114270 Explorer I

Cheers
Harold

2790 is the number, and it does ook like the ETA stamp, but it's directly under the wheel, so I can't be sure.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

Atterton

I guess I shouldn´t post pictures of digital Casios in here then.  :D
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

HAC

Quote from: Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD on June 27, 2008, 08:45:35 PM
2790 is the number, and it does ook like the ETA stamp, but it's directly under the wheel, so I can't be sure.
ETA 2790
Features
automatic
sweep second
day: quickset
date: quickset
optional hack feature

Data
11.5''', Dm= 25.6mm, H= 5.9mm
17/25 jewels
f = 28800 A/h
power reserve 46h

Cheers
Harold

Awesome Harold, thanks! I had a feeling it was 28800 beats. I never noticed how fast it was until I heard it on my wrist while working on another. I saw the balance of my Movado beating and heard the Zodiac, then I looked and yeah, that thing sweeps smooth. Not as smooth as my acccutron, obviously, but smoother than my other mechanical ones.

Mercury Wells

Mr. Fhud*

Have you, yet sent letters with photographs to the manufacturers, to help you with your quests?

*Please refer to "The Yellow Submarine" a moving pictograph staring that popular 4 beat combination group, known as "The Beatles" . :)
Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

HAC

Quote from: Mercury Wells on June 27, 2008, 09:30:51 PM
Mr. Fhud*

Have you, yet sent letters with photographs to the manufacturers, to help you with your quests?

*Please refer to "The Yellow Submarine" a moving pictograph staring that popular 4 beat combination group, known as "The Beatles" . :)
VERY few watch manufacturers will even bother with vintage stuff, and even at best they MAY give you inof based on the serial number, if they still have it.  Rolex, Omega and Longines will give info, but both will suggest you send the watch to them for restoration. That Omega (the black dialed one) would have cost me an estimated $500 for the treatment by Omega. Doing t myself, it cost me a grand total of $80.00 - $20.00 for new gaskets and a crwon, and $60.00 for having the dial refinished..
Cheers
Harold

Mr. Fhud*

I can only assume you're referring to me, though I don't get the reference (I'm familiar with the movie, but it's been a while). I have not contacted the manufacturers, though I am sure they don't have parts for almost 70 year old watches on hand. As it goes with this stuff, usually you have to purchase a broken one to use for parts, or, in my case, purchase an estate from an old watchmaker who has many NOS parts, then take about a year and a half to go through all the boxes and find everything.

Hey Harold, I had another question for you. I want to have the hands on my Movado (and possibly my Seeland) re-lumed. Do you know a trustworthy company/watchmaker who provides such a service? I've tried to find one locally with no luck, and I'm hesitant to just mail my watches off to someone with whom I've no experience.

Mercury Wells

Quote from: Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD on June 27, 2008, 09:44:16 PM
Mr. Fhud*

I can only assume you're referring to me, though I don't get the reference (I'm familiar with the movie, but it's been a while). I have not contacted the manufacturers, though I am sure they don't have parts for almost 70 year old watches on hand. As it goes with this stuff, usually you have to purchase a broken one to use for parts, or, in my case, purchase an estate from an old watchmaker who has many NOS parts, then take about a year and a half to go through all the boxes and find everything.

Major oops time here  :-[ :-[ (Its just after Hilary "the nowhere man" hands his cards out and Ringo? says "Fhud").

So therefore I appologise to both Messrs. Vonhart & HAC for the undue and uncalled miss up.  :-[

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

HAC

Quote from: Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD on June 27, 2008, 09:46:42 PM
Hey Harold, I had another question for you. I want to have the hands on my Movado (and possibly my Seeland) re-lumed. Do you know a trustworthy company/watchmaker who provides such a service? I've tried to find one locally with no luck, and I'm hesitant to just mail my watches off to someone with whom I've no experience.
Kent Parks does top notch lume work...
http://www.everestwatchworks.com/

Cheers
Harold

HAC

One more... Modded Seiko "Monster" (for all the non-Seikoholics out there, changed the dial and hands, and painted the second hand tip red)

Cheers
Harold

DonQuijote

Gentlemen, i love your watches. i wish i could have such beauties to show of with... but then again , i am still young....
does clockwork dream of wind-up sheep?

Ben Hudson, Esq.

Posting for updates. I don't have anything good to show as of yet but I've decided I need to get a nice wristwatch.
Quod me non necat me confirmat

QuoteCappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society

Here's some more. These are my daily wearers.

Bulova Automatic in fancy steel case

1945 Seeland

My Accutron

Belforte w/ subseconds

Bulova Tank Dress Watch (gold filled case)

And my Movado Bumper. This is my favorite every day watch.

HAC

THose are some decent watchs in there.. little bit of TLC and they'd be real  gems..
Ok... Another restoration...
1940's Bertmar...

Before:

After:

Cheers
Harold

Here's a pic of the inside of that Movado. I <i>love</i> bumper winds. You can feel the weight bouncing off the springs as you move your arm and wrist.

On a side note: I found the hands for that longines, now I just need a case.

HAC

Quote from: Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD on June 28, 2008, 04:16:21 PM
Here's a pic of the inside of that Movado. I <i>love</i> bumper winds. You can feel the weight bouncing off the springs as you move your arm and wrist.
On a side note: I found the hands for that longines, now I just need a case.

Yeah, bumper autos are really neat that way, I only have one...again its a redial...

Cheers
Harold

HAC

Last one for today - vintage Swiss Hoverta manual wind. Got this one, restored it, then traded, it, and then missed it enopugh to actually have to trade back for it..

Cheers
Harold

Ok Harold, Another question for you. I hope you're not tiring of me!

Do you refinish/ restore the dials yourself or just replace them? Replacing I can handle, but if you've got any tips on cleaning and restoring, I'd like to pretty up this guy:

Also, my last fot the day,

Marvin Hermetic. I have no info on this guy, if you know anything, I'd love to hear it.

HAC

Tired? Good heavens, no... askig quesions is how one learns..
On dials.. Most of the damage is due to the lacquer coat over the dial finish deteriorating. I have had good luck cleaning on occasion, using a camel hair brush to get rid of loose dust and flakes of lacquer, and a cotton swab lightly moistened with eyeglass cleaner diluted 50% with distilled water.
Most dials, if I want to keep the watch , I'll have refinished, as dials are a sticking point with me. Occasionally, I'll gte lukcy and find a NOS replacement dial.

As for the Marvin. Marvin was a small Swiss company, made their own (or in some cases used and refinished,  ebauches) movements. Nice reliable, everyday watches..

Cheers
Harold

Michael Bend Esq.

Right, I was wondering wether i could see wether any of you have information on a watch we had lying around the house.

[Heartfelt apologies for the blurry images, i will endeavour to get better ones soon, if you desire]
Its a Sekonda, with 23 jewels.
On the caseback, there is the number "186744".
As for the movement there is "2209"
                                        "23 KAMHR"[except the R is the other way 'round- 'cause it's Russian(?)]
                                        "SU"
Oddly enough, in relation to the face, the writing on the movement is the other way 'round (up-side down)
i have recently replaced the strap (from black to brown Leather, as it was broken)

Pictures:
Spoiler: ShowHide

Thanks,
        Mike
If you're not scared or angry at the thought of a human brain being controlled remotely, then it could be this prototype of mine is finally starting to work.
  - John Alejandro King

Those are indeed russian watches. They use the Poljot movements, decent everyday wear watches. I've got a poljot Chrono which uses a valjoux style movement.

Apparently (from a sale ad I found from someone selling that same watch):
from the 1960's or 70's
the super-thin 23-jewel Poljot 2209 caliber mechanical movement that won a Diploma and Gold Medal at the 1963 International Fair in Leipzig, Germany housed in Poljot's Pennon (Vympel) model.

Poljots are nice watches, sometimes underrated, especially for the price.