News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Prometheus Club - a gentlemen´s club for mad scientists

Started by Atterton, July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JingleJoe

Quote from: Mr. Consciousflesh on August 09, 2008, 07:16:51 PM
Nice phial ! But its contents looks familiar ... Is it a mixture of copper chloride and iron chloride commonly known as used etchant ?
Bo it isn't ;) Does that turn green? Because my fluid when a tad more diluted is more often translucent purple :D only the flash of the camera (the angle of the light in this instance) made it green. Furthermore; Yes, it changes between opaque and translucent as well as colour ;)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Mr. Consciousflesh

Quote from: JingleJoe on August 09, 2008, 09:29:35 PM
Bo it isn't ;) Does that turn green? Because my fluid when a tad more diluted is more often translucent purple :D only the flash of the camera (the angle of the light in this instance) made it green. Furthermore; Yes, it changes between opaque and translucent as well as colour ;)

This changes everything . My second guess is that your phial contains some kind of fluorescein compound. Probably a fluorescein salt in alkaline solution . Am I right ?

The reason we chase is lost in romance.
And still we try to justify the waste for a taste of man's greatest adventure.

T.Taylor the Third

have any of you fine gentlemen look at this thread and the link in it?

it has many interesting things.
-"I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge."

JingleJoe

Ah yes U.N. ;) it truly is a mad scientist's dream come true! I've known about it for some time, but it's owner- Bob Lazar, for much much longer :D

cyberjacques

Quote from: Atterton on July 18, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
Let´s get back to experiments. Regarding a brain in a jar, I was thinking about how it would control things. You have probably heard about the blind fellow who had a camera hooked into his brain and was able to see. Perhaps the same could be used here. The parts of the brain responsible for locomotion, could have something plugged in, connected to perhaps a robotic body or vehicle. Hopefully the brain would then be able to learn how to control it.

This particular bit of mad science has now been tried, with startlingly good results:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/personal_tech/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=205801020

A monkey trained to deliberately control robotic legs with its brain...  Now that's mad science at its best!
"To mewl and blabber about a treasure map, in front of this particular crew, demonstrates a level of ineptitude that borders on the imbecilic.  And I mean that in a very caring way."
                                                     ~Captain Amelia of the RLS Legacy, Treasure Planet

Ambie

That be 'neuro-prosthetics' and here be a link to a Scirus seach result page

It be sorted by date so sort by relevance and the monkey papers be on top.

I dunno much about it.  But it be a secondary interest of the Doc's.  Couple o' the assistants more so. 

Ambie

(strolls into the place, empties an ashtray, restocks the bar a bit....)

The Doc asked me to if anyone here is familiar with this Darpa project about building an artificial kitty' cortex?    Other sources (I am a bit lazy so far today to do a real search)?  Seems a bit like an expansion of the monkey brain controlling a robotic arm. 

From the brief 'Wired' article, ""The follow-on phases of the project will create a technology that functions like the brain of a cat, which comprises 108 neurons and 1012 synapses," Dr. Narayan Srinivasa, SyNAPSE Program Manager and Senior Scientist, said. "The human brain has roughly 1011 neurons and 1015 synapses."

link under spoiler

Any thoughts?

One that occurs to me is that shuld be a snap to install fake brain chips instead of the real ones in the Doc's minions. 

Though I just want one so I can put it on my (gas-powered) lawn mower to chase away the snake oil salesfolk.

Robert Sandler

A new army of cybercats shall give AIBO what for!  I would much love to see a follow up on that artificial brain article.

Atterton

I thought new members with an interest in mad science might want to come on in and have a brandy by our thermonuclear fireplace.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

JingleJoe

I wonder what happens if you electrocute brandy *rubs chin*

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: JingleJoe on December 27, 2008, 06:56:16 PM
I wonder what happens if you electrocute brandy *rubs chin*

It can artificially 'age' a cheap and nasty brandy into something more paletable.  Works for wines at least.  ;)

....Or it will cause a very large blue flamed explosion, if you use a little too much power...  ;D

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Dr von Zarkov

Quote from: Atterton on December 27, 2008, 06:51:41 PM
I thought new members with an interest in mad science might want to come on in and have a brandy by our thermonuclear fireplace.

Why, thank you for the invitation. The insalubrious climate in these parts makes a drop of Holiday Cheer most welcome. Glad to see you are keeping this thread alive.
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

rovingjack

hm all this talk about reanimating the dead has me thinking that once upon a time they removed a head from a monkey and kept it alive with machines while they reatched it to another monkey body. Well seeing all the artificial hearts and brain controled electronic devices coming out it got me wondering if it might not be possable to

make a viable system for a living brain in a jar to have it's involutary reactions hooked to the artificial heart and maybe a glucose drip system, with a few other organs like pancreas and liver and kidnies also included. Then all the motion done through elcrtonic devices hooked up to the brain.

This might actually be testable with bugs or someboies mentioned poultry. I'd be ever so curious about the results.

And as a side note, as far as ladies in the group I figure we are mad scientists eventually some bloke is either going to have a miscalculation in his Jeckle and hide formulae or one there rivals might take things into his own hands so might as well make it clear that some gentlemen are ladies and vice versa. It will eliminate a bit of confusion later.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Spectre

I am quite fond of human experimentation, but only on consenting adults.
www.cowfordsteampunk.yuku.com

Father of the Steamkini.

Founder of the Trans-Oceanic Benthic Exploration and Preservation League

JingleJoe

Quote from: Spectre on December 27, 2008, 09:48:15 PM
I am quite fond of human experimentation, but only on consenting adults.
OR the recently deceased :)

Spectre

Grin.... Considered it, but there is that whole consent angle I shoot for.

Father of the Steamkini.

JingleJoe

Oh don't worry about that, the deceased are very agreeable. No objections, very easy going with disection and things :)

Esmerelda

I am greatly enjoying this conversation. I have very little to add as I mostly limit my experimentation to the fabric and stitching (with thread, not catgut) variety. My dear husband does some work with electricity, etc, but, still  --- fascinating stuff here.
Carry on.
Reality seems valueless by comparison with the dreams of fevered imaginations; reality is therefore abandoned."
Emile Durkheim

Atterton

RovingJack: The functions of organs such as kidneys and heart should be easy to replicate with machines, if you want a brain in a jar. I think getting nutrients and keeping infections away might be large problems. Anyone know of some animal experiments in this direction?
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Spectre

Quote from: JingleJoe on December 28, 2008, 04:31:40 AM
Oh don't worry about that, the deceased are very agreeable. No objections, very easy going with disection and things :)

I could go on with this but I think the fainter of heart would be quite repulsed! This is a gentlemens club and I shall behave in a manner germane to our institution. (I learned the word germane watching The House Bunny last night...)

Father of the Steamkini.

Siliconous Skumins

Quote from: Atterton on December 28, 2008, 12:31:20 PM
I think getting nutrients and keeping infections away might be large problems. Anyone know of some animal experiments in this direction?

Well, they are currently growing large numbers of rat neurons on glass "chips" as the brains of small robots, these require the same level of care as any brain - correct temperature, PH, nutrients, etc.  Seems they also have to be very carefull to avoid contamination from bacteria / viri, I think I read the pink nutrient 'soup' (Blood serum + growth factors, nutrients etc) that the cells live in, is dosed with an antibiotic too.

Whole brains have been kept alive in-vitro, but usually for only a few hours (though some invertebrate brain require less oxygen and can last for up to a few days). I believe most in-vitro mammalian brain tests have been on rats and guinea pigs. The bigger the brain, the more energy and oxygen is required, so small brains are somewhat easier to work with.

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

JingleJoe

After following your discussions on keeping brains alive outside a body I now truly beleive this to be possible! Having previously not considered it and when considered; Thought it probably impossible. I think within the lifetime of many of the members of this forum, the line between machine and lifeform will blur!

Anyone seen Ghost in the Shell? ;D

von Corax

Quote from: Spectre on December 28, 2008, 01:52:06 PM

I could go on with this but I think the fainter of heart would be quite repulsed! This is a gentlemens club and I shall behave in a manner germane to our institution. (I learned the word germane watching The House Bunny last night...)

On the contary, sir, this is a gentlemen's club for mad scientists. For the most part, the fainter of heart do not set foot within these precincts; those few who do are usually tric— persuaded! Persuaded! to assist the members in their experiments...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Spectre

Quote from: von Corax on December 29, 2008, 02:49:36 AM
Quote from: Spectre on December 28, 2008, 01:52:06 PM

On the contary, sir, this is a gentlemen's club for mad scientists. For the most part, the fainter of heart do not set foot within these precincts; those few who do are usually tric— persuaded! Persuaded! to assist the members in their experiments...

Ah HAH! Well then... aquireing the recently deceased is such a chore. If you aren't digging them up, then you are skulking funeral parlors and trust me that comes with it's own host of problems. There is just a certain thrill, some would call it the cackling twisted variety but a thrill none the less, of having the vict- subject walk in and....erg... volunteer.

Father of the Steamkini.

groomporter

The problem comes in when the reanimated ones start objecting to being woken...
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson