News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Prometheus Club - a gentlemen´s club for mad scientists

Started by Atterton, July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JingleJoe

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 15, 2008, 09:05:45 PM
Bones contain compounds of phosphorous...
A jar of bones! Perfect! Thankyou :D (I acctually have a good source of 80 year old bones!)

Any more ideas for phosphorous compounds will be apreciated too :)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Atterton

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

Think_Long

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 15, 2008, 09:07:17 PM

A jar of bones! Perfect! Thankyou :D (I acctually have a good source of 80 year old bones!)

not your grandmother i hope . . .

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 15, 2008, 09:05:45 PM
Bones contain compounds of phosphorous...

I think it's calcium phosphate that's in bones. Sadly, my vaguely-remembered AS-level chemistry runs out before I remember how to get rid of the calcium...

I'm not sure whether pink-tipped matches contain phosphorous. Then again, i guess pigmentaton is arbitrary...

Edit! START BY ROASTIN' THEM!

Mr. Consciousflesh

You can produce elemental Phosphorus from urine ... You have to evaporate it and reduce the precipitate with charcoal . It was how the Phosphorus was discovered by Henning Brandt during his search for Philosopher's Stone.

Do you plan to finish your project using large amounts of electricity or use a more traditional approach - The Aemeth Sign ?
The reason we chase is lost in romance.
And still we try to justify the waste for a taste of man's greatest adventure.

I know it's possible to extrace DNA using cold, salty water, soap, gin and spit, which might help.

Also.

The PPM of phosphorous in urine must be minute...bones, man! bones!

JingleJoe

Okay a bottle of roasted bone sounds good to me :)
I'll do it at the same time as the limestone ;)

Quote from: Think_Long on July 15, 2008, 09:10:09 PM
not your grandmother i hope . . .
No, an archæological dig- 1920's dump! They threw away alot of bones :)

Does no one care about my poor spider  ???

I'd advise against that, on hte grounds of cross-contamination.

No I wouldn't. it's all going to be used for the same abominable process, after all. Just grind the resultant powders up well when they've baked enough. It's hard enough to create hideous monstrosities when the pwoders involved are finely ground, nevermind when they're chunky and hot from the fire..

Ella Kremper

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 15, 2008, 09:40:42 PM
Does no one care about my poor spider  ???

Perhaps your spider has plans on the world, and has seen fit to remove one of its legs because it makes it easier to complete its heinous activities. I know I would.

Remove someone else's leg, that is.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Certainly not. It's still got five more legs than I have.

JingleJoe

Good point Sir Nik :D
It does seem to be doing okay, although if I didn't know better, exhibiting symptoms of phantom limb syndrome.
It appears that it got the missing leg caught in it's own web, although it doesn't even look like it tried to pull it out so I'm guessing; It was stuck, then the spider lurched after a fly/woodlouse which happened onto it's web and this sudden movement dislocated and disconnected it's leg :(

I think the general idea is: If a limb comes off and the creature doesn't immediately die, coming-off was probably intended, at some level.

Atterton

I´d like to try and breed spiders in an oxygenated tank. See how big I can get them.

Ella Kremper

Is it the type where the leg will grow back?

Which brings me on to the wonders of spray-on skin, and growing ears on the backs of mice. Does anybody think that some bodyparts were in really stupid areas to start with and would much prefer them to be placed in other areas of their body?

JingleJoe

Quote from: Ella Kremper on July 15, 2008, 10:07:02 PM
Is it the type where the leg will grow back?

Which brings me on to the wonders of spray-on skin, and growing ears on the backs of mice. Does anybody think that some bodyparts were in really stupid areas to start with and would much prefer them to be placed in other areas of their body?
No spider's legs don't grow back :(

I don't want to move my body parts but I do want 4 arms. I often find myself holding masses of delicate electronics in place only to find that now I can't pick my soldering iron up to solder them in place...
I do have one of these helping hand tools but sometimes it just doesn't do the job extra arms could!

von Corax

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 15, 2008, 10:13:17 PM
Quote from: Ella Kremper on July 15, 2008, 10:07:02 PM
... Does anybody think that some bodyparts were in really stupid areas to start with and would much prefer them to be placed in other areas of their body?
...I don't want to move my body parts but I do want 4 arms. I often find myself holding masses of delicate electronics in place only to find that now I can't pick my soldering iron up to solder them in place...

I've been saying for thirty years that only two arms was a really bad engineering decision.

I still haven't figured out how to articulate the lower set of shoulder blades, though...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

JingleJoe

I got bored and made this;

And an old-timey colour scheme version:

:)

Ella Kremper

I do like the font you've used for that! The colour scheme in the first is very similar to Vernian Process' logo though (not necessarily a bad thing, but just pointing that out) :)

Herr Döktor

I know I've arrived a bit late to the party, but I hope I'll be welcome all the same...

JingleJoe

Quote from: Herr Döktor on July 16, 2008, 06:41:35 PM
I know I've arrived a bit late to the party, but I hope I'll be welcome all the same...
In order to amend your lateness you must bring us all something mad sciencey to gawk at ;)

Quote from: Ella Kremper on July 16, 2008, 06:00:02 PM
I do like the font you've used for that! The colour scheme in the first is very similar to Vernian Process' logo though (not necessarily a bad thing, but just pointing that out) :)
Thankyou, I do like green and black :3 especially that shade,  slightly dark yet vibrant green.

Robert Sandler

I was about to suggest replacing the black with brass, but then it would look too much like John Deere's color scheme...

Lady Anne

Quote from: Robert Sandler on July 16, 2008, 09:05:02 PM
I was about to suggest replacing the black with brass, but then it would look too much like John Deere's color scheme...
Suddenly I have visions of robotic deer.  They are very, very fast, and much cooler than robotic tractors.
Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we live.

Atterton

Let´s get back to experiments. Regarding a brain in a jar, I was thinking about how it would control things. You have probably heard about the blind fellow who had a camera hooked into his brain and was able to see. Perhaps the same could be used here. The parts of the brain responsible for locomotion, could have something plugged in, connected to perhaps a robotic body or vehicle. Hopefully the brain would then be able to learn how to control it.

Ella Kremper

Quote from: Atterton on July 18, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
Let´s get back to experiments. Regarding a brain in a jar, I was thinking about how it would control things. You have probably heard about the blind fellow who had a camera hooked into his brain and was able to see. Perhaps the same could be used here. The parts of the brain responsible for locomotion, could have something plugged in, connected to perhaps a robotic body or vehicle. Hopefully the brain would then be able to learn how to control it.

Wasn't there something they did recently that was similar, regarding monkeys? They had a robotic arm rigged up to a monkey, and the monkey was able to control via thought the arm, so it would pick up food and put it in front of them.

Atterton

Oh yes that is true. I guess we have proof of principle then. A monkey brain would probably also be best for the first experiments.