News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Prometheus Club - a gentlemen´s club for mad scientists

Started by Atterton, July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prof. George of Chaos

Quote from: groomporter on December 29, 2008, 01:49:40 PM
The problem comes in when the reanimated ones start objecting to being woken...

Oh? But that's easy to solve!

Quote from: Spectre on December 28, 2008, 04:01:55 AM
Grin.... Considered it, but there is that whole consent angle I shoot for.

Now there I may be able to help you, assuming you outlive me, that is.
Provided my skin and bones are left in usable condition for bookbinding and sculpture making respectively when they are done with I would be thouroughly amenable to the idea of my remains being experimented upon, or even providing a feed, if I were cooked well enough and there were abssolutely no prospect of consious-life extension.
Waste not, want not!
Quote from: -The Hyphen- on March 12, 2009, 02:45:29 AM
The possibilities each day holds are infinite, mindboggling. The right person, with the right idea, at the right place, the right time, can change history. There are no more excuses.

It's all up to you.
https://www.instagram.com/carnivalseb/

Spectre

Then again you get the undead who look and feel dead intil you stir them and the lure you into their thrall and bite you. Bloody messy business that is!
www.cowfordsteampunk.yuku.com

Father of the Steamkini.

Founder of the Trans-Oceanic Benthic Exploration and Preservation League

Clockwerk Wolf

Quote from: Atterton on July 20, 2008, 10:19:52 PM
Well I´m afraid club rules state that the occult or magic is not allowed here.

Then I submit that all those who wish pursue such a vein to redirect their inquires/ravings here:

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=13039.0

DrTom

As a neuroscientist in my former career, now a practicing psychologist who continues to do research as part of my academic appointment, I've been referred to as a "Mad Social Scientist."  I've altered that somewhat to "Psyentist."  Right now, much of my regular research (the stuff that pays the bills) is somewhat pedestrian:  Survey research, supervising dissertations, and whatnot.  Once more established in the clinic, I hope to expand that to research in hypnosis (my other area of practice).

On the other end of the fringe, however, I've developed an interest in the effects of brainwave manipulation via sound (e.g., drumming, binaural beats, etc). 

Now, if I can only get a handful or so willing subjects...  ;D
"We are the music makers.
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,"
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy

Dusza Beben

Quote from: DrTom on January 02, 2009, 04:51:41 AM

On the other end of the fringe, however, I've developed an interest in the effects of brainwave manipulation via sound (e.g., drumming, binaural beats, etc). 

I'm no Dr., but I have often wondered if the rythmic electrical discharge within the brain caused by the mechanical to electrical transfer functions taking place in the vestibular set up sympathetic cerebral resonances allowing one to adjust to different vibrational realities. Perception is reality so they say.  As the Father of a Son with C.A.P.D. (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) I have seen first hand the physical effects of not being able to process/filter auditory input. This topic interests me greatly.

DB

Brought to you by, Muahahahah INC, we add the "muaha" to your "hahah"

von Corax

Quote from: Dusza Beben on January 02, 2009, 05:30:42 AM
Quote from: DrTom on January 02, 2009, 04:51:41 AM

I'm no Dr., but I have often wondered if the rythmic electrical discharge within the brain caused by the mechanical to electrical transfer functions taking place in the vestibular set up sympathetic cerebral resonances allowing one to adjust to different vibrational realities. Perception is reality so they say.  As the Father of a Son with C.A.P.D. (Central Auditory Processing Disorder) I have seen first hand the physical effects of not being able to process/filter auditory input. This topic interests me greatly.

DB

Are either of you familiar with Mitch Altman's Brain Machine?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

von Corax

DrTom

Quote from: von Corax on January 06, 2009, 01:31:52 AM

Are either of you familiar with Mitch Altman's Brain Machine?

A student introduced me to the mind machine that was commercially made a few years ago...that's what got me interested.  Currently, I'm experimenting with binaural beats provided auditorily combined with images and suggestions that are presented via LCD goggles.
"We are the music makers.
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,"
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy

rovingjack

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

von Corax

If I can ever get organized, I plan to start development on the von Corax Chronomometer before the snow melts.

JingleJoe

Quote from: rovingjack on January 20, 2009, 02:54:57 AM
soooo, wacha workin on? (all inoscent like)
Oh, you'll see soon enough ... sooooon ... you'll see ...
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

OldProfessorBear

Another Entirely Reasonable Opinion from
Bill P_______, Nul.D. (Unseen U.), F.R.S.*, Restorer of Old Photographs,
Sexagenarian Boy Genius and SUPREME NERD GOD!!! (score=98)
Down in the Belly of Brooklyn, NY, US
* http://forum.retrofuturist.org

Dr von Zarkov

To help you gentlemen scientists avoid infringement upon the prior art of others, please consider these letters patent. Note that most of these are described as novel, useful, and improved. Thank Goodness!

Device for perfusing an animal head

Animal Decapitation Apparatus

Animal Decapitation Device

Electrocution Apparatus

Electrode for Applying Electric Currents
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

Clockwerk Wolf

In order to rectify my ignorance, I've been looking to begin dabbling in elementry chemistry. Any of you chaps have some tips for getting started from a practical standpoint?

Atterton

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

JingleJoe

Quote from: OldProfessorBear on January 20, 2009, 09:54:22 PM
Quote from: JingleJoe on January 20, 2009, 05:31:29 PM
Quote from: rovingjack on January 20, 2009, 02:54:57 AM
soooo, wacha workin on? (all inoscent like)
Oh, you'll see soon enough ... sooooon ... you'll see ...

Promises, promises ...
It's only other people's fault that I can't finish my devices, they're holding me back damnit!
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

von Corax

Quote from: Clockwerk Wolf on January 21, 2009, 06:20:46 AM
In order to rectify my ignorance, I've been looking to begin dabbling in elementry chemistry. Any of you chaps have some tips for getting started from a practical standpoint?

Quote from: Atterton on January 21, 2009, 12:39:21 PM
Get one of those children´s chemistry sets?

There are very few of those available any more, and thanks to the lawyers, those few probably aren't worth the trouble.

On the other hand, I recently bought a copy of O'Reilly/Make: Publishing's Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Bruce Thompson. Very interesting – I've already learned stuff, and I haven't even done any of the experiments yet! The book is, as the cover states, "All lab, no lecture" but Thompson does suggest one or two introductory theory texts. (When I get back to school in September, I think I'll see what the first-year Chem students there are using.)

Dr von Zarkov

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

Ambie

Quote from: Dusza Beben on January 02, 2009, 05:30:42 AM

I'm no Dr., but I have often wondered if the rythmic electrical discharge within the brain caused by the mechanical to electrical transfer functions taking place in the vestibular set up sympathetic cerebral resonances allowing one to adjust to different vibrational realities. Perception is reality so they say. 

DB

Hmmm, based on me own limited know-how, any type of stimulation (if that is what you mean by 'different vibrational realities') that ends up changin' da permability enough to hit threshold in any part of the CNS theoretically can be intergrated with any/all other sensory firings (if that is what you mean by 'sympathetic cerebral resonances') so as to interpret da outside world.

We can manipulate nervous systems inputs that affect perception (e.g., people who wear prism glasses that turn visual image upside down, quickly have their perception to of an upside down world flipped back to normal...until they take them off and the CNS has to perceptually re-flip the visual input once again) so, if I understand your question, I would say yes.

Quote from: Dr von Zarkov on January 20, 2009, 11:03:08 PM
To help you gentlemen scientists avoid infringement upon the prior art of others, please consider these letters patent. Note that most of these are described as novel, useful, and improved. Thank Goodness!

Always adding to me card files....Thanks!

kw

I'm working on a new light source for photography in the dark, take a battery run 2 wires from it to a cylinder of blue clay infused with nitro glycerine. Touch wires to battery and pooo........

Herr Döktor

Quote from: kw on January 28, 2009, 03:27:09 PM
I'm working on a new light source for photography in the dark, take a battery run 2 wires from it to a cylinder of blue clay infused with nitro glycerine. Touch wires to battery and pooo........

That idea sounds like DYNAMITE!

It also probably IS dymamite...

:)

rovingjack

as far as I remember no it's not dynamite actually it's closer to nitro pills for heart problems (only it's likely that a dose big enough to go piff would kill you if injested), I'd really suggest you not play with NG, amonium nitrate is nearly as powerful, similar in consistancey and infinately more stable.

infact ammonium nitrate would require you to put a small cap in to get it to go off. Unlike NG which can go off due to static charges, bumps, and in some cases heavy breathing (catches fire with matches too).

If it will help we can start calling you lefty now.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Dr von Zarkov

Quote from: rovingjack on January 29, 2009, 03:25:25 AM
... I'd really suggest you not play with NG, amonium nitrate is nearly as powerful, similar in consistancey and infinately more stable.

Ammonium nitrate is so unstable, that it can not be used as a military explosive or demolition agent. See these links for more information:

Texas City Disaster
Ammonium Nitrate Disasters
– Loren Eiseley

von Corax

Quote from: Dr von Zarkov on January 30, 2009, 01:34:42 AM
Quote from: rovingjack on January 29, 2009, 03:25:25 AM
... I'd really suggest you not play with NG, amonium nitrate is nearly as powerful, similar in consistancey and infinately more stable.

Ammonium nitrate is so unstable, that it can not be used as a military explosive or demolition agent. See these links for more information:

Texas City Disaster
Ammonium Nitrate Disasters

Apparently, Ducks Unlimited used to publish instructions on digging a duck pond with three coffee-cans of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, a half-gallon of diesel fuel and three half-sticks of dynamite...

rovingjack

"...decomposes in temperatures above 210 °C. Pure AN is stable and will stop decomposing once the heat source is removed..."

Ammonium nitrate is very heavy duty powerful but is fairly stable. Like all nitrates fairly stable is still more dangerous then the standard run of the mill household chemical.

It was kept on farms in quantity for fertalisers. and it was used as such for a good long time, I'd think if the stuff went off williy nilly it would quickly fall out of favor for that purpose.