News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Prometheus Club - a gentlemen´s club for mad scientists

Started by Atterton, July 13, 2008, 01:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

femonky

Quote from: Ella Kremper on July 15, 2008, 10:07:02 PM
Does anybody think that some bodyparts were in really stupid areas to start with and would much prefer them to be placed in other areas of their body?
In general, you'll find Mr Darwin's evolutionary process on the human body to be a hodge podge of contraption!
Our main sensory organs being located in the head, merely because it happened to be where our brains were!
Just think! what would we or all other cephalopods look like if the mass of nerves around our digestive tract (often called the gut-brain) had evolved into our main motor control center?!
The Amazing Gut brained man?!!
With ears on his ribs and eyeballs where his nipples should?
Brig. Daedalus Collins
North Columbian Expeditionary Force
103rd Div. Royal Aerines

EvilHippyEmperor

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 13, 2008, 09:58:07 PM
The level of "Mo-ral-i-ty" in this thread disturbs me. We're mad scientists. Mad in that we're stark raving sane.

Surely a few lives sacrificed in the sake of discovery are worth a great leap forwards in the well-being of the whole human race? It's only logical, after all.
Was it not the great Dr. Necessitor who said "If the murder of twelve innocent people can help save one human life, it will have been worth it! "?
"Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time before he puts it on his head"

"Sometimes I forget. Sometimes I forgive. You would be unwise to rely on either eventuality"

EvilHippyEmperor

Quote from: Atterton on July 18, 2008, 01:20:48 PM
You have probably heard about the blind fellow who had a camera hooked into his brain and was able to see.
I would be intrigued to have seen what would happen if the camera had not been fixed in the position of the chap's eye. One wonders how well he would have been able to make sense of his environment had the camera been placed in a less fixed part of the anatomy, such as the palm of the hand.
"Put a sane man alone in a room with a teacosy, and it is only a matter of time before he puts it on his head"

"Sometimes I forget. Sometimes I forgive. You would be unwise to rely on either eventuality"

Atterton

Well there have been experiments done on normal sighted people, who have worn glasses with mirrors in them to change their vision. For example turning everything upside down. It seems they adapt rather quickly.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

von Corax

Indeed. If the chap had been blind for some time, he might very well have become accustomed to "looking" with his fingers.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Derranged-Gadgeteer

alright, a question.  If I take a tablet of granulated, high-concentration sodium hypochlorite,(pool chlorine tablet) and add a volatile hydrocarbon, (gasoline, kerosene)  will the resulting soggy tablet auto-ignite, or will it become a low order explosive in need of ignition?  I've been getting conflicting answers from everyone I ask.

Updated as often as practical.  Worth a visit.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I doubt it.

ProTip: Pool bleach is mustrad gas, however it's harmless in the concentrations it's found at in swimming pools.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 15, 2008, 09:03:33 PM
I do mean elemental phosphorous, Damn my last items to acquire are insanely unstable ... thats mad science for you, eh? ;D
I must acquire them in stable compound form though...
Any suggestions as to a phosporous compound? And no acids or coke please, it's got to be a little less dangerous/contain more phosphorous.

I can think of an incredibly simple, readily-available source of everything you need, but I suppose that would be defeating the purpose, hey?

Quote from: Derranged-Gadgeteer on July 20, 2008, 04:25:46 AM
alright, a question.  If I take a tablet of granulated, high-concentration sodium hypochlorite,(pool chlorine tablet) and add a volatile hydrocarbon, (gasoline, kerosene)  will the resulting soggy tablet auto-ignite, or will it become a low order explosive in need of ignition?  I've been getting conflicting answers from everyone I ask.

Hm. I honestly don't know. Quite possibly; the whole point of NaClO is that it is an excellent oxidant. But I have heard that when you put in in small concentrations in something with small concentrations of organics, what you end up with is a whiff of chlorinated organics... Then there is the problem that, for safety, the pool chlorine is stabilsed, fairly typically with sodium hydroxide. For this reason, I don't think it would work using the materials you describe, but I really can't say that with a very high degree of confidence.

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 20, 2008, 09:57:51 AM
ProTip: Pool bleach is mustrad gas, however it's harmless in the concentrations it's found at in swimming pools.

Mustard gas is bis(2-chloroethyl) sulfide, and I don't think it's going to oxidise anything well enough to act as a bleach of any description. (If I recall right, you can use an oxidising agent to treat exposure to it...) I think you might be getting confused with something else.

JingleJoe

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on July 20, 2008, 11:19:19 AM
I do mean elemental phosphorous, Damn my last items to acquire are insanely unstable ... thats mad science for you, eh? ;D
Any suggestions as to a phosporous compound? And no acids or coke please, it's got to be a little less dangerous/contain more phosphorous.

I can think of an incredibly simple, readily-available source of everything you need, but I suppose that would be defeating the purpose, hey?
No! please tell me! I need it for science!
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Intarnets, Joe, Intarnets.

Edit: Whoops! got rid of this bit! :D

Also: I think I might be getting it confused with something else...

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 20, 2008, 12:15:36 PM

Think about it. >_o

JingleJoe

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 20, 2008, 12:16:17 PM
Intarnets, Joe, Intarnets.

United Nuclear, perhaps?
I searched quite a bit on the interwebs for my desired un-attainables a week or so ago, or however long ago it was that I posted first about finding phosphorous and fluorine.

I'll check out United Nuclear, but I thought Bob specialized in more radioactive substances? :D

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on July 20, 2008, 12:18:05 PM

Think about it. >_o
Nooooo don't taunt my thinkylessness! Please tell me  :'(

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 20, 2008, 12:21:43 PM

Think about it. >_o

Well, here's a hint: I never suggested it was legal or ethical, and if your purposes are what I'm quite confident they are, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose.

JingleJoe

Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on July 20, 2008, 12:24:59 PM

Think about it. >_o

Well, here's a hint: I never suggested it was legal or ethical, and if your purposes are what I'm quite confident they are, it would kind of defeat the whole purpose.
Oh blast it all I know now! :D Haha! But yes it does defeat the point ;)

Albert Bagstock

All this talk has given me an idea for a new source of water...

JingleJoe

Bah! I wish I wasn't so tired, I can't wait to get to work on my latest creations, I'm certain you'll love them ;)

What mad endeavours have you fellows undertaken recently or plan to undertake soon?

Dr. Zedrich Heretic

Why how could I have missed this!  Ah at last people who understand my twisted and brilliant soul!

My philosophy is thus:  The organic, no mater what systems we create to prolong its existence, will whither away and die.  Immortality and the Occult is my obsession, more specifically, combining our fantastic technology and the Occult to achieve immortality.  The final goal is shedding the mortal form entirely and transferring the sum of my knowledge and soul into a more permanent container.  I think using what is called a "Soul Stone" is the best way to pull this off.  This stone would be the control center of a new body, a body of metal and machinery, what I call a Magic Machine.

Once this immortality is mine, I'll be free to make long term investments, free to undertake dangerous endeavours without fear and free to wreak havoc on the world for nothing more than my own amusement.

Is this Mad enough for you?
"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names.

But the bard songs will remain..."

Atterton

Well, we don´t really want any magic in this club but the rest sounds good.

I was reading a comic where a kid was raised in an enviroment with 5 times normal gravity, making him exceptionally strong and durable. Apparently this has been done with chickens, by raising them in centrifuges. That sounds like it might be worth looking into, for creating a proper superhero.

Ella Kremper

Quote from: Atterton on July 20, 2008, 08:33:05 PM
Apparently this has been done with chickens, by raising them in centrifuges. That sounds like it might be worth looking into, for creating a proper superhero.

Or creating minced chicken, if you shove a couple of blades in there ;)

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Herr Döktor

I was reading a comic where a kid was raised in an enviroment with 5 times normal gravity, making him exceptionally strong and durable. Apparently this has been done with chickens, by raising them in centrifuges. That sounds like it might be worth looking into, for creating a proper superhero.

Tom Strong? Alan Moore's answer to Superman, not that it was a question...

It might be possible to raise chikkins in an ever-hotifying environment, so that when they reach maturity they're cooked to perfection...

Ella Kremper

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on July 20, 2008, 08:58:25 PM
It might be possible to raise chikkins in an ever-hotifying environment, so that when they reach maturity they're cooked to perfection...

You could put that as an optional bit of kit on incubators, so you get the choice of cute, fluffy chick, or perfect, hard-boiled egg.

I know which one I'd prefer.

Somebody get me some egg soldiers, it's time for breakfast! :D

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.

Flynn MacCallister

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 20, 2008, 12:26:33 PM
Quote from: Flynn MacCallister on July 20, 2008, 12:24:59 PM

Think about it. >_o

Oh blast it all I know now! :D Haha! But yes it does defeat the point ;)

And thus do I submit my membership application.

Atterton

Yes it was Tom Strong I was thinking of. Also changing the muscles must be possible. The arrangement of muscles that apes have make them much stronger than us humans. Gene modification must have some potential for that.

Dr. Zedrich Heretic

I don't see why not, Alchemy is acceptable and it is merely an Occult form of science.  What I propose is little different.  A merging of Occult and Science.  "There are more things in heaven and earth..." This is practically my mantra.  Science is wondrous, yet it cannot explain everything.  So in my quest for understanding-- and personal gain-- I've expanded my parameters beyond those of science.

As for the rest, why make a Superhero..?
"Tomorrow will take us away, far from home, no one will ever know our names.

But the bard songs will remain..."