News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Single Steampunks?

Started by BaronPablo, September 08, 2008, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielCrimson

I'm single . Despite being a tenacious flirt I'm entirely Asexual which puts people off In thinking either I'm not capable of having sex for the sake of a relationship or that I'm a sociopath without a romantic bone in my body which sucks when you actually like someone. When the fact is I'm one of the few guys that wouldn't spend all night staring at your rack in hopes of a sex (no offense if you're heterosexual or gay and I'm basing my assumptions on presuming that guys thinking about sex every 3 seconds is true. =P.

Oh yeah so anyway i was saying that i was single. ;D

PS I've always wondered is it disconcerting that i wouldn't find you (any girl in general) sexually attractive. And does girls despite protesting they hate staring, like that a guy would ''stare at their rack'', like to be seen as sexy on those terms.  weird thought tis all.  ;D

There should be a wiki on this stuff.

Bezier

Quote from: GabrielCrimson on November 04, 2008, 04:34:14 AM
When the fact is I'm one of the few guys that wouldn't spend all night staring at your rack in hopes of a sex (no offense if you're heterosexual or gay and I'm basing my assumptions on presuming that guys thinking about sex every 3 seconds is true. =P.

I'm a straight guy who also happens to be a BDSM fetishist, and even I don't stare at womens' breasts in hopes of sex. I have only known a few guys who do, in fact. It's cheap, and whorish, and isn't likely to get you laid and even if it did, it would be the kind of sex which isn't any better than...ahem...taking care of it yourself...

And I understand the asexual thing. My sister is like that also but I suppose it is harder for a guy since we are pretty much expected to initiate everything.

helios

I'm single, and have been for the last seventeen years. That would be worse if I weren't seventeen. Not looking for a relationship, this just seemed to be a spiffy place to "hang out" as those young 'uns put it.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Bezier

Quote from: BaronPablo on November 04, 2008, 08:01:00 AM
It seems that all the single women I meet online live nowhere near me and most of the time, are outside the borders of these American States.

Long distance, a problem for steampunk daters or no?

After my last attempt at a distance relationship, I came to the conclusion that they are painful, stressful and annoying, especially for a sentimental chap like myself. Personally I don't ever want to try it again, however there are some circumstances under which it could possibly work.

JingleJoe

My good friend Rowan is looking for a girlfriend ;)
He's really nice and an absolutely smashing young chap, intrepid explorer and mad scientist, he collects antiques and other old curios, old bottles too (like myself!) and he likes anime and hugs :D I have only seen one or two photos of him but I can assure you he's very handsome ;)
I really can't recommend him enough!
So If there are any single steampunk girls, or just steampunk loving girls who are nice and down to earth who live in or near Victoria (Melborne) in Australia, get in touch with my friend Rowan, okay? ;D I think you'll really like him ;)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

qubehead

If I had a dollar for every time i've heard, "You gotta lower your standards, you gotta take what you can get", I'd have just enough money to make bail after being jailed for Aggravated Assault. What a contemptible notion! If the humiliation left any part of my soul unpoisoned, the 'what-ifs' would finish it off. (Not to mention the shame at so insulting a lady) I long ago made up my mind never to 'settle'; dignity is one thing we can take with us.

BrassMonkey

Quote from: qubehead on November 04, 2008, 03:11:53 PM
I long ago made up my mind never to 'settle'; dignity is one thing we can take with us.

Here here!
I whole-heartedly agree with your statement.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play -Heraclitus

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. -Einstein

Jolly Jill Rodgers

Single gal, here!   :-*

Long-time pirate lass, first-time steampunk lady.

Honeythorn

Quote from: helios on November 04, 2008, 07:28:53 AM
I'm single, and have been for the last seventeen years. That would be worse if I weren't seventeen. Not looking for a relationship, this just seemed to be a spiffy place to "hang out" as those young 'uns put it.

It IS worse when you're 26. People start to look at you oddly when they find out you've never so much as been on a date. Still, I'm used to it now so I doubt a few years more will do me any harm haha !  :D
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

BrassMonkey

Quote from: Jolly Jill Rodgers on November 04, 2008, 05:56:06 PM
Single gal, here!   :-*

Long-time pirate lass, first-time steampunk lady.

Well with the stunning picture you just recently posted on the "Post your picture Thread!", I'm sure that you will need the whole crew of your pirate (air)ship to fend off all your suitors.
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play -Heraclitus

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead; his eyes are closed. -Einstein

Jolly Jill Rodgers

Quote from: Honeythorn on November 04, 2008, 06:08:25 PMPeople start to look at you oddly when they find out you've never so much as been on a date.
Better too few than way, WAY too many, trust me.

Quote from: BrassMonkey on November 04, 2008, 06:22:33 PM
Well with the stunning picture you just recently posted on the "Post your picture Thread!", I'm sure that you will need the whole crew of your pirate (air)ship to fend off all your suitors.
You flatter me!
No crew, at the moment, but they aren't needed for that.
Once word got out that I shot off the last hand to go where it was uninvited the offers slowed to a mere trickle.  ;)

Torvald_Faust

A mere trickle? Surely there are some men manly enough to see such a thing as a challenge...

;)

akumabito

...I kinda wish I were single again... :(

KatarinaNavane

Quote from: akumabito on November 04, 2008, 08:23:57 PM
Well, the short version is that I'm sort of stuck in a relationship I'm not happy about, but I can't really leave either..

You can always leave. It might hurt the other person and it might hurt you, and you might have some other hardship for a while (finding somewhere to live if you used to share a place) but you can always leave.   

Torvald_Faust

I am with miss Katarina on this, Akumabito. I can not think of any reason that would absolutely, positively prevent you from leaving. Safe for only-in-fiction shenanigans ;)

akumabito

Quote from: KatarinaNavane on November 04, 2008, 08:38:50 PM
Quote from: akumabito on November 04, 2008, 08:23:57 PM
Well, the short version is that I'm sort of stuck in a relationship I'm not happy about, but I can't really leave either..

You can always leave. It might hurt the other person and it might hurt you, and you might have some other hardship for a while (finding somewhere to live if you used to share a place) but you can always leave.  

Well, I could leave her no problem.. :P

If I did that however, she'd take our son back to Thailand and I'd hardly ever see him again, that's kinda my predicament.. :(

Haizea

Hm...I think the main reason we're all single is because we...well, we're not exactly what you could call normal. We're eccentric, lively, interesting and intellectual. Which usually ends up scaring people off, sadly...
And also due to the courteous and good old-fashioned nature of the people here, we look for more than a mere one-night stand or flimsy affair. We're in it for the long haul - not necessarily marriage and 2.4 children, but for someone you'll stay with for more than...a week, shall we say. This also scares some people off, since commitment is an overwhelming thing.
And because we're looking long term, we're not willing to 'settle', as it were. We want people who are as fascinating as us. But eccentrics are in the minority, so we don't usually find that. But don't despair! Because if you ever do find someone on the same wavelength as you, it'll be well worth the wait.
Get me, talking like an expert...I'm probably one of the least experienced people here.
As for me...of course, I have hundreds of suitors! The queue to my door is a mile long! Why, I must fend them off with a stick whenever I go shopping.
No wait...that's zombies...
I kid, of course (an actual gentleman caller...pfft, that'll be the day). I'm single, but that's pretty much through choice - I've only dated one guy, and I broke it off after a short while because I was just too scared to continue. I'm...well, shy. Painfully so. The wider world has a way of making you feel small, and the concept of actually seeking out a partner has always intimidated me somewhat. I struggle to initiate anything, and I also back off as soon as someone else initiates something. A vicious circle. I suppose I'm a little scared that I could never meet up to their standards; it's not low self-esteem so much as being self-conscious.
However, I'm still young, so finding that special someone doesn't particularly bother me - unlike the rest of my friends, who all seem desperate for a boyfriend, as though it's some sort of status symbol (strange beings...). I don't particularly want a partner, but...well, it'd just be nice to have a kindred spirit, you know? Someone who would walk in the rain with me, and who would happily root through a skip without a care. So that we could walk down a street in costume, and people could ask "are you in a play or something?" and we could both say "yeah...the drama of LIFE!" It'd be wonderful.
But as I said, it's a dream that also frightens me away. I'm like a living paradox.
p.s. there appears to be several conversations going on at once, and I've just added another...my apologies.
Sealed with the kiss of swine,
The heavy fort falls to the flame,
Bone-rattled melodies and worm-laden rains.

Dr. Munro

So, come on, there must be a gay steamer here somewhere?  COME ON!

Pheobsky

Well not as such, but there are a few people who are bi at least -myself included, although I hesitate to mension, as often it gives people an image of overly desperate people; However to the contrary I'm very picky about people; & probably in the long run end up with a much smaller pool of people than most non bi people...  I suppose I'm just reiterateing my previous post, in that I'm not interested in a relationship that I don't want! I'm just enjoying life & being motherly to anyone who needs it & has a bruised heart! As long as I've got comfortable people I can fall asleep against I'm happy!

As to being approached it would seem that the majority of persons who approach me seem to be in the 'lecherous old men' category -which can be rather creepy...  especially with the frequency that it sometimes happens. I think the worst position though is having to reject someone who is a good friend, but you just don't want to be in that sort of relationship with- thankfully I haven't had to do this very often, but on the occasion or two that it has, you feel so bad afterwards :(

Oh well matters of the heart are always complicated & troublesome but someone has to deal with them! ;D
Them/they

Dr. Munro

What is it with those old men?  They won't leave me alone either!

Jolly Jill Rodgers

Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 04, 2008, 10:23:21 PMWhat is it with those old men?  They won't leave me alone either!
That goes with any orientation, I am afraid.

Dr. Munro

Quote from: Jolly Jill Rodgers on November 04, 2008, 10:25:59 PM
Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 04, 2008, 10:23:21 PMWhat is it with those old men?  They won't leave me alone either!

Oh I realise that.  It's just... WHY?

Pheobsky

Quote from: Dr. Munro on November 04, 2008, 10:27:32 PM
Quote from: Jolly Jill Rodgers on November 04, 2008, 10:25:59 PM

Oh I realise that.  It's just... WHY?

I thik it also happens to some people more than others- I've had a few odd encounters, where as most people I know (male at least) have never had it happen, let alone repeatedly!
Them/they

Dr. Munro

I get it all the time!  It's disgusting!

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

I was creepy old man'd once.

As the tabloids say, I made my excuses and left.