News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Steampunk Day at Dickens Fair in SF

Started by Sophia, December 02, 2008, 04:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophia

So who IS going on Steampunk Day at Dickens Fair (Dec. 13th)?  Joe, Leigh and I will be there?  Anyone want to all catch the same show at Mad Sals or have tea together in the tea room?  We could have a parade of Steampunks through the streets of London..... You know you want to.

Fair Info under the cut (and in other topics on this forum)

madjeweler

How fortunate that I should read this forum today! I most certainly will attend on the 13th. Afternoon tea is a necessity, not a luxury, as you well know. Our friend Karen from the wilds of the southwest shall be there as well.

Sneath

I certainly hope I can... although I probably won't be wearing the armor since
1: I havent added any padding to it yet and
2: a day at the fair is a whole lot longer than an evening at a ball. yes there's a lot less jumping and prancing, but there's a lot more standing.

I've never actually been to a dicken's fair yet, so whatever shows and events you want us to gather at, I'm game. Except dancing >_>

Naravus

I was planning on attending on the 14th, but I may be able to change my plans on the 13th and go then.
-One of the No-names

Mundus vult decipi

Learn about my insanity at http://naravus-mundusvultdecipi.blogspot.com/

Sophia

If you are in Fezziwigs there is exactly the same amount of jumping and prancing!

I say tea at 2 pm at the Tea room.  Anyone who wants to meet up with us should join us there!

Capt Arabella Cox

I won't be there that Sat because I'll be there THIS Sat, but I wanted to mention if any of you plan to go to tea, to purchase your ticket ahead of time, as they sell out quickly. I'd hate to see you all show up and nowhere to sit.
Capt. Arabella Cox, Ret.  Cartographer & Time Travel Agent.  Anywhere, anytime. Navigator on the Time Traveling Airship, the HMS Gryphon.

Naravus

Sadly it seems that I cannot reschedule my Saturday meetings.. If anyone wishes to meet up I shall be there till roughly 5pm.

-Nara
-One of the No-names

Mundus vult decipi

Mr. Salmagundi

If anyone wishes to meet at La Legion Fantastique, they are quite welcome to do so.
Our scheduled daily events are "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Live" at 1:00 p.m. & 5:00 p.m. and "Return to the Center of the Earth" Magic Lantern Show at 2:00 p.m. & 4:00 p.m.

All sorts of madness the rest of the time.

Zorch

Sadly we will not be going the the Fair.  As we already have party plans that day.  Also I need to watch the ol' wallet at right now.  Bah!  Curse you monetary constraints!!
To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering - Aldo Leopold

Sneath

well... it looks like we wont be going (AS Wanderlust crew) because were all involved in a christmas play for most of this week and the whole weekend.
I just totally didn't realize that the dates overlap
maybe next year.
:edit: and go figure, its our church's version of Dickens "a christmas carol" :P

Capt Arabella Cox

I was there! I have photographic proof.
Well, I only saw three people in Steampunk at the Faire, but I did
have a wonderful time at the Legion's booth, watching the Magic Lantern
show of the Legion's "Journey to the Center of the Earth". It was wonderful!
The photos start here in the middle row on this page of my album.
http://tinyurl.com/6hvlv5

My friend is going again this Sat, when they're having a SP costume
contest and I'm begging her to take photos. She and her son will be
steaming up.
Val (my photo is the very first one in this album, but in an 1860s
costume)
Capt. Arabella Cox, Ret.  Cartographer & Time Travel Agent.  Anywhere, anytime. Navigator on the Time Traveling Airship, the HMS Gryphon.

Nemo

Alright for those of you visiting The Dickens Fair tomorrow, here's the official word on the contest:

Steampunk Costume Contest This Saturday
La Legion Fantastique presents...

The 2nd Annual
Steam Explorers' Consortium
aka
The Steampunk Costume Contest

The members of Legion Fantastique are looking for a few good members, and will be judging any brave adventurers who would like to submit themselves to the rigorous scrutiny of our trained officials!

Entries will be judged on originality, inventiveness, creativity, historical plausibility, and general Steam-punky goodness! We're looking for more than just a cool pair of goggles this year, folks...We're looking for adventurers who are willing to take on the virtues of Science, Exploration and Imagination and amaze us with their skills!!

Grand Prize! - Dark Garden Corsets gift certificate ($400 value!)...Courtesy of Autumn Adamme

Other prizes also available (TBA). Every entrant will also receive an honorary Legion Fantastique membership!

Applicants may submit themselves anytime between 12pm-4:30pm at La Legion Fantastique. Official judging time (aka "Tea Time") will be from 4-4:45pm! All entries will be paraded on stage, and a winner will be announced at 5pm (applicants who would like a shot at prizes MUST attend - no exceptions)!

Mr. Salmagundi

Ah, thank you very much for posting this, captain.

I attempted to, earlier, but was foiled in my endeavors by a flaw in the Aether. I suspect that the magnate of Steeltown, Von Schultz, is somehow behind it. Perhaps he fears such a gathering of Adventurers and Mad Scientists bolstering the ranks of La Legion Fantastique and is attempting to quell it by shutting down lines of communication.

At any rate, we shall find out on the morrow. My Heat Gun stands at the ready.

Your colleague and fellow Legionnaire,
--Capt. Robur, M.o.W.

Genevieve Ozuna

Curse my poor immune system, curse it to Hades' realm and back! I intended to attend Dickens this weekend, but due to a rather draining and irritating headcold, I will be quarantined in my bedroom instead. I will attend next weekend though, even upon risk of death. I missed last year's fair completely and refuse to do so again when I live in such close proximity. The indignity of it all is downright insulting. Curse this cold! Bah humbug.

Sophia

Here are photos of Steampunk Day at Dickens Fair.  It was really wonderful to see everyone that I read and reply to in the forums and to renew acquaintances from the Steam Con.  My students had a terrific time and the car ride home was filled with delighted cries of "It was fantastic!"  "NO!  It was Fan-Tas-Tique!".  I am sure this joke is going to live on in my 3rd period for quite some time.

Kuddos go to La Legion Fantastique for making everyone feel like a winner.  The certificates made the perfect memento.  (How DID you know to have so many on hand?) and the prizes were classy and meaningful (and there were so many!) and well disposed (tickets to the new Academy of Sciences for the mother and son team.  Perfect!).  It was a great show all around.

Photos Found here:

And here are (some of) the many winners of the SteamPunk Adventurers Costume Contest:

Naravus

Fantastic! I wish I could have gone yesterday but plans sadly prohibited me.

I did go today and the costumes of my friends' and I were relatively well received.

-Naravus of the No-names
-One of the No-names

Mundus vult decipi

Thunderbird127

Indeed, we were well so. 

~ Thunderbird127

Naravus

Ah welcome to Brass-goggles, Thunderbird.

You should post some pictures of our adventures, I'm too lazy to copy them over from facebook >.<

-Nara
-One of the No-names

Mundus vult decipi

Zorch

Those are some smashing photos Sophia!  I was hoping someone would take a picture or two and you did not let me down  ;D
To keep every cog and wheel is the first precaution of intelligent tinkering - Aldo Leopold

Thunderbird127

I will do so once I get back to the etherwebs this evening.

KatarinaNavane

gah! and I missed it!  I'm from ohio but I'll be in california for christmas to see relatives and I'll be at the fair on the 21st--my grandparents will be in the morris dancing group, and/or playing instruments for it.
If anyone else roundabout these parts will be there then, let me know, I'd love to meet up. 

Genevieve Ozuna

Well I was either going to attend on the 20th or the 21st to celebrate my birthday, so there is a slight possibility that I'll see you there. Must confer with the ladies who will be accompanying me though, to see which day would be of more convenience for the majority of them. I'll keep you posted!