News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Brass Goggles Occult Society...The Esoteric Order of the Brazen Dawn...

Started by Clockwerk Wolf, December 31, 2008, 11:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clockwerk Wolf

In goodwilled response to the formation of the Prometheus Club, I felt it fitting to implement a similar haven for all of BG's resident dabblers in the occult and paranormal, see as the Prometheus Club holds a moratorium on the subject.  ;)

So come one come all, ye beholders of things that should not be. Let me know how the seance goes, I have to finish stalking that shoggoth in my attic...

Toji Chiba

Count me in, I'm still in the middle of my research on Alchemy and magic circles, so count me as a novice t the inner circles of the steampunk-arcanum.

regards

Toji

"Well I'll be buggered by a monochrome chipmunk!!!" -CinnamonAndSpite-

elShoggotho

teucer

That would be "Brazen" dawn. Which, thanks to its double meaning, is a lovely idea.

I'm in. I don't believe in the supernatural, but I sure as hell find it fascinating.
Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash, and I am delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever!

Toji Chiba

Quote from: teucer on December 31, 2008, 02:42:43 PM
That would be "Brazen" dawn. Which, thanks to its double meaning, is a lovely idea.

I'm in. I don't believe in the supernatural, but I sure as hell find it fascinating.

the same goes for me :)

groomporter

Count me in, and let me throw out what it think is a fun quote.

"Anyone picking up a book on witchcraft is bound to have some questions about the author's attitude toward his subject. Many authors prolong the uncertainty by allowing their prejudices and attitudes to emerge gradually in the course of the text. Such a technique has certain dramatic advantages, but it can lead to suspicion or confusion concerning the author's purposes. I shall accordingly state at the outset that I do not "believe" in witchcraft... Such a warning would not be necessary if scholars in the field of witchcraft were more adroit in averting the pitfalls of sensationalism or the charms of darkest Africa."
-H. C. Erik Midelfort, Witchhunting in Southwestern Germany, (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1972)

That being said... bring on the arcane and eldritch signs, abominable tomes, and unaussprechlichen kulten!
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

Maverynthia

I'm interested. I certainly love the paranormal (and was even thinking about having a Steampunk ghost hunt in the places haunted by Victorian ghosts. However my state of current residency is not forthcoming on the paranormal.) and have been into the occult for a few decades now. Though I will say I do not believe in the Lovecraftian horrors I do have a soft spot in my heart for Cthulhu and his friends as a cultural icon, and if other gain results from him, so be it. (A few of my acquaintances have said they have tried the various incantations to those listed in the Necronomicon, with results that always see to have some form of small printed tag attached.)

CaptainFynnOMalleyEsq.

Well, as a pagan [oooh, getting a bit close to religion there] the occult is something that I can't help but take an interest in.

Consider me in.
"Steam engines don't answer back. You can belt them with a hammer and they say nowt."
- The great Fred Dibnah

James Harrison

As an avid follower of the preternatural and occult, count me a member of this august Order. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Clockwerk Wolf

Quote from: teucer on December 31, 2008, 02:42:43 PM

Ah, thank you. Had a vocabulary failure for a moment there. Fixed.  ;D

Gibbs Marlowe

"If it doesn't work, well... Well, everyone loves explosions, right?" -Self

rovingjack

well I may have to include myself in both groups. Though I have to admit a bit of a dislike of the referance to the golden dawn. Their history is less then... well stellar, and some of the memebers were notorious for reasons of conduct, and there particular brand of the occult while setting the foundations for later developments by others are not my style.

The clockwork dagon actually appeals to me a bit more, but it's not really my place to decide.

I work a bit in the alchemical, and sacred geometry, and forgotten and lesser known pantheons and entities. Elemental forms and much more.

But I do have to wonder if there is a risk of religious trouble to be had from this. I will share a bit of wisdom from someone close to me, that one can be spiritual (and magical as well) without being religious. So as long as we stick to information rather then argueing about the right way we should be fine.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Clockwerk Wolf

Well the Golden Dawn reference is intended more as a parody than a tribute. I have no love for them either. But the name can be changed if it is wished...

PostScript:

As for religous reference, I'm sure we're all mature and gentlmanly enough here to avoid getting in a sticky wicket about such things. Occultism is not really considered a religion as such anyway, so I'm sure if everyone stays reasonable, it'll be fine. I'll take personal responsibily if it goes otherwise.

Ben Hudson, Esq.

Not especially my kind of thing, but I'll keep an eye on this thread because it seems interesting.
Quod me non necat me confirmat

QuoteCappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society

hereaftermouse

Count me in - there have been some occult related questions on my mind actually, so if anyone is interested....

Has anyone here read the Malleus Maleficarum, and if so how many of the questions could you actually figure out the answer to?

Who is your favorite historical alchemist, and if you answer is not Sir George Ripley, why ever not??

I'm thinking of trying to procure a copy of the Grand Grimoire/Red Dragon (it's even the right era for steampunk, if I'm not mistaken), and I was wondering if anyone has read it and can give me some insight into its quality. I love the Lesser Key, but I've not been quite so impressed with other grimiores I've picked up (*cough* the Grimoire of Armadel *cough*)

Lastly, does anyone know where I can find a decent translation of Little Albert? The best I've come across was done by google.

Professor Veritas

Count me in.  I'm a 20+ year student of the occult - both the philosophy and the practice. 

Looking forward to some stimulating conversation...

Regards,

Prof. Veritas

Mrs. Sullivan

I\\\'m in Darkshines\\\' Sewing Swap!

groomporter

Quote from: Clockwerk Wolf on December 31, 2008, 06:12:18 PM
PostScript:
As for religious reference, I'm sure we're all mature and gentlmanly enough here to avoid getting in a sticky wicket about such things. Occultism is not really considered a religion as such anyway, so I'm sure if everyone stays reasonable, it'll be fine. I'll take personal responsibily if it goes otherwise.

I have to agree, with the growth of the spiritualism movement in the Victorian era I would think we can discuss how to fit such occult bits into a steampunk world without discussing religion/dogma. (There was a related "SteamPagan" thread previously that might be might be worth referencing. I believe it fell by the wayside before the forum crash http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=7261.0 )

There was the example of a neat Steampunk Hand of Glory that came out earlier this year http://jakeofalltrades.wordpress.com/2007/08/24/the-torch-of-saint-dismus/

-not to mention the various vampire/werewolf hunting kits that have been assembled and display here.
If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson

lavenderfae

I have a keen interest, as well as a wealth of strange and unusual experiences. I humbly request acceptance into the (first rung?) of this society.

Toji Chiba

As we have the Prometheus Society and the van helsing Society as well as our humble little Order, I guess some society pins are in order?

lady sakara

As someone who grew up with Sir Arthur C Clarkes programmes on the supernatural i feel the call the join here.
Also someone who has always had an interest in all things vampire...including a steampunk era vampire warrior character ive envisioned...i think this sounds ....spiffing!
ABANDON HOPE, ALL YE WHO ENTER HERE!!!!!...... if you have already abandoned hope, please disregard this notice.

Capt. Barley Wilkerson

this appeals to me on several levels...

i sometimes feel as though i am part of a large, irresistible machine... this machine SEEMS to be unstoppable, but that's impossible i think, and i often get a vision of parts failing and flying off, or the machine seizing and tearing up everything around it as explodes to a halt...

it's probably just my subconscious mind making analogies for everyday life, but isn't that a huge part of the occult? in my studies, there are have been only a few MAJOR themes that come up in various practices, and the top two have always been symbolism and visualization...

it would be interesting to see how a victorian class society would have been impacted by an occult faction... looking at other "societies" in history, there are precedents...

so, anyway, does our little group have a purpose? anything other than pure discussion? will we share techniques or try to discover new ways to practice old ways?

as i said, this appeals to me on several levels, so count me in...
Welcome to the Lovegood & Savage Museum of Fine Artistry and Exotic Artifacts

Lets upgrade this conversation to realtime, join me in the chatroom - #brassgoggles

vt13013

You need a Stark Realist, calling poppycock and balderdash, to balance out the group, include me as such.

Cheers.

rovingjack

Quote from: Capt. Barley Wilkerson on December 31, 2008, 10:00:26 PM
this appeals to me on several levels...

i sometimes feel as though i am part of a large, irresistible machine... this machine SEEMS to be unstoppable, but that's impossible i think, and i often get a vision of parts failing and flying off, or the machine seizing and tearing up everything around it as explodes to a halt...

it's probably just my subconscious mind making analogies for everyday life, but isn't that a huge part of the occult? in my studies, there are have been only a few MAJOR themes that come up in various practices, and the top two have always been symbolism and visualization...

my good sir have you heard about the Lady of the Mechanism? She's non denominational, by the way. Check it out and offer some thought on the topic. http://rovingjack.livejournal.com/2008/11/12/
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Offlogic

HST: Gonzo but not forgotten