News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

How to decide if it's a how-to suitible for the How To childboard

Started by JingleJoe, December 31, 2008, 02:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JingleJoe

I noticed that Pheobsky was pondering placing the "Where can I get a human skull?" topic in the How To childboard, so I thought some guidance was in order.

Quote from: Rowan of Rin on December 30, 2008, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: Pheobsky on December 30, 2008, 11:53:43 AM
-slighty off the topic of the thread-
Do you think this should be moved to the how to board as it is "how to get a human skull"

The 'How To' board generally is about topics of a tactile nature, so I don't think it fits too well.

As Rowan said, this place is for tactile things.
Putting it very simply;

How to make things.

is this a how-to for How To?: ShowHide

A way how you can decide whether or not a how-to is suitable for this board is to change from how-to, to a completed version.

For example; Using one of the first popular threads in this board with the sentiment of "How to make a hamster powered device" changes to the completed version; "I've made a hamster powered device" If it sounds like it would be suitable for the Tactile board in that form, then it's certainly a how-to for the How To childboard!

An example of an unsuitable how-to discovered using the previous method and the "Where can I get a human skull?" thread, would be; "How to get a human skull" to "I've got a human skull", nothing was made, nothing tactile, so a post consisting almost completely of "I have a human skull" wouldn't last very long in the Tactile section and so is not suitable for the How To childboard.
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

Zwack

What if the how-to is how-to-make-something that would end up in anatomical?

How to make a steamuda?  Is that a How-To thread or an Anatomical thread?

Z.
"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.

JingleJoe

Quote from: Zwack on January 01, 2009, 01:15:44 AM

Z.
Well you ... just ... er ... SILENCE! I was half asleep when I wrote that, I'm still half asleep, don't make me do things now :'( I'll figure something out later.

Rowan of Rin

Quote from: Zwack on January 01, 2009, 01:15:44 AM

Z.
If the topic is showing or asking how an item of clothing &c. is made, it ends up in the how to child-board, and the finished article will end up in anatomical for presentation. There has always been some cross over between Tactile and Anatomical in these matters, I understand it is quite complicated!
I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!

Zwack

Hmmm... You might want to move the "Leather Belt WIP" thread from anatomical then. 

I put it there as it is how to make a Victorian style women's leather belt.  Obviously the finished belt should be in Anatomical, but I had a hard time deciding if the thread should be in how-to or Anatomical.

Thanks,

Z.

Rowan of Rin

Thanks for the heads up Zwack, topic has been moved (and I must say, the belt looks fantastic!).

JingleJoe

Because Zwack's thread was showing many of the techniques and a step by step process for making a belt, it is suitable for How To, however other WIP project posts probably will not be suitable for here as they are more than likely one off builds by some creative clever-clogs :)

I just wanted to make that clear, that most WIP's are not suitable for the How To childbard.

Zwack

Just for my personal edification...

Are posts asking how to do something suitable for this board?

There seems to be a lot of posts along the lines of "I'm thinking of doing X please give me advice".

Z. 

JingleJoe

Sorry I missed your question Zwack, yes, they are what the how to board was made for!

Come here to ask how to do things ;D

Gaspard de Coligny

Dichotomy... that's what i'm thinking when I read these posts.

Where to get a human skull is perfectly fit for the How To, whatever the phrasing of the topic is.

Meanwhile the way too long survivance of the thread http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=13309.60 "Poltics, Religion and sex" even if some will argue that everything is staying polite, clearly bug me to no ends.

Rowan of Rin

Gaspard de Coligny , thank you for your input.

Regarding the purchasing of the skull, while that is 'how to', it is not related to anything tactile, and therefore unsuitable for this board. It is in it's appropriate board in Off Topic,  Anatomical (as this deals with medical/vivisection as well), or Trading.

JingleJoe

How to get a human skull, without rendering a living human cranially impared;

1 Contact someone who as a human skull- a biological scientist, somone who works in a morgue, a grave robber, someone who collects morbid things, etc.

2 Buy it off them if you can't get one for free.

:-\

It's just not really ... How to board material. As rowan says; nothing tactile was involved.

von Corax

Unless, of course, you're asking how to get a human skull out of its original mounting...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

JingleJoe

Quote from: von Corax on February 14, 2009, 06:57:11 AM
Unless, of course, you're asking how to get a human skull out of its original mounting...
I'll let you start that thread ;)

The Reverend Catmandoo

To avoid the inevitable hassles, not to mention the ensuing mess, You can get a real human skull here.
http://skullsunlimited.com/
CMD  ;D
Don't be afraid to try new things;
Remember,
The Titanic was built by professionals
The Ark was built by amateurs !
         EVIL. GENIUS.
http://www.evilgenius.net.nz/
     We're expecting you !

JingleJoe

Quote from: The Reverend Catmandoo on June 02, 2009, 04:22:53 PM
To avoid the inevitable hassles, not to mention the ensuing mess, You can get a real human skull here.
http://skullsunlimited.com/
CMD  ;D
Awesome!
Originally people were looking for a human skull, but I dont think you can get them, I can't spot any but replicas on that web site.

The Reverend Catmandoo

I found them by using the link and using the search box with keyword human. The search returned several results, # 3 is "humanskullsnb.htm " . This is the real deal, I grew up with Jay, the owner. Jay always has been interested in skulls of all types, seeing a glass display full of real human skulls is eerie, but He loves it. Very serious about the business and a straight up guy, no worries about what you are getting with him.
CMD
;D
Don't be afraid to try new things;
Remember,
The Titanic was built by professionals
The Ark was built by amateurs !
         EVIL. GENIUS.
http://www.evilgenius.net.nz/
     We're expecting you !

JingleJoe

I must inform my allies of this discovery as soon as I can! ;D