News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Fifty-Plus Club for SteamGeezers

Started by OldProfessorBear, May 29, 2009, 12:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miss Genevieve Gale

Applying for "Junior Geezer" status. I have three years to go before I'll qualify for full membership (though I do have my AARP card since my dear husband is over 50! LOL)

von Corax

Quote from: Angus A Fitziron on August 09, 2009, 08:39:15 PM
Here I am ~ applying for SteamGeyser membership. To be 50 again ~

Wait — what are you spouting off about now?
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Angus A Fitziron

Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"

steampunkfae

Applying as a Junior Geezer, tho' next year I'll be fully qualified for Geezerhood... ;D

bijounoir

What would you call a lady geezer? A geezette?

Just joined BG last night. Is there a waiting period to be able to join the 50+ club? I'm 57, can't wait for TOO long! haha...

Sir A Poiselamppe

I too am a proto-geezer with a three year run in period...can I sign up for the juniorgeezer section...

Rockula

Quote from: bijounoir on September 14, 2009, 07:11:18 AM
What would you call a lady geezer? A geezette?

Just joined BG last night. Is there a waiting period to be able to join the 50+ club? I'm 57, can't wait for TOO long! haha...

I believe the correct term is Geezer Bird. Unfortunately it has recently acquired an alternative meaning following a 'Tipping The Velvet' programme on the BBC.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

greensteam

I am well through the initial probationary decade already.
Lady geezers? That would be Modom to you.... and raise your hat when you are speaking to me young man.

I recently went to a charity bash which was all for ladies over 50 and was all themed around crazy handbags of all sorts. Natch, we were the Bag Ladies! As I love bags other than handbags, I was rather taken with this.
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Arceye

Count me in please, I'm 53, lost my hair when I were 19 and well on my way to losing my patience with the Modern World.
There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper

Palmyrin Rosette

Well I guess I qualify for this club as well. I'm a good  bit over fifty now but at least I do not (yet) actually look as old as my avatar!

Cheers...

:)
Have you ever been alive?
Curious sensation isn't it..

Capt. Dirigible

Would a female 'geezer' be a 'biddy'?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Rockula

Urban Dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=geezer

I particularly like number 11....

''Different form of middle English word - guiser (gysar), masquerader. It means to dress in disguise.''
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Capt. Dirigible

Another couple of variations not listed there are:

'tasty geezer' ie expensive clothes..ostentatious jewellry..big ego..probably a bit of a criminal...normally an East end/cockney (Think Ray Winstone meets Fifty Cent)

'Diamond Geezer' ie 'a good egg'...'thoroughly decent chap'...as in "He's a Diamond Geezer! He'd give you the shirt off his back if it would help!"
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Dr. von Trenker

Of course in Roman days, geezer was exemplified by Julius Caesar who, it was said, rode around on a lemon squeezer. Not that I was around at the time, of course, but I've been here long enough to regret the demise of steam trains and their engines' exciting numbers, and such. May I come in, please? Ve haf vays of making ourselves velcome!

Absinthe Dreamer

As I am chronologically of an age to become a member, I wish to join.
I find it quite satisfying to converse with my contemporaries, it makes the historical references more readily recognized.
However, does one need to be geezer in nature as well, I have been characterized by many as of a much younger temperment?

A geezer need not be a negative, it merely means you have more experience and have had, hopefully, more  adventures.  :) ::)

quantumcat

Count me in.

To borrow from those of the crimson chapeau persuasion:

Geezers: Old enough to know better,young enough to do it anyway.

;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;) ;D ;)

Miles (a sailor)Martin

Might I have a membership pending as I' ll be 50 on the 18th of the month.
                                                         Miles (a sailor)Martin
ps now 50+ and woundering did i kill it or it 5the tread in need of some Tully to give it a jumpstart?
Who you calling old, Sonny boy? Just because my birth certificate is on birch bark there isn't any reason to be calling names.
machinist for hire/ mechanic at large
Warning : minstrel with a five string banjo

Mr Addams

I shall be officially entering Geezerhood in 1 Year and 22 Days.
So I herewith tend my application for junior membership on the assumption that the paperwork will probably take at least one year and 23 Days.

Angus A Fitziron

OK, so we are all signing up - when are we going to actually do something??

I became a member of the senior section of the Steam Geysers Club just before Christmas and one of the perks is the bus pass. This has limited amusement value at the moment, although the inclement weather recently opened up the possibilities of "Extreme BusPassing". This does not require reckless driving. What you do is wait for extreme weather warnings with likely disruption to travel, pack a survival kit and head for the bus stop. The objective is to travel to a challenging destination, take pictures ...

and then get back before hypothermia sets in!

What should I pack in a survival kit as well as a tin of toffees and a credit card?  ;)

JosephR

Quote from: Angus A Fitziron on January 25, 2010, 05:41:11 PM
OK, so we are all signing up - when are we going to actually do something??

Do?  If you're a true geezer, you've already DONE it!  Time for your laurels to get all flabby from being rested upon...

QuoteI became a member of the senior section of the Steam Geysers Club just before Christmas and one of the perks is the bus pass. This has limited amusement value at the moment, although the inclement weather recently opened up the possibilities of "Extreme BusPassing". This does not require reckless driving. What you do is wait for extreme weather warnings with likely disruption to travel, pack a survival kit and head for the bus stop. The objective is to travel to a challenging destination, take pictures ...

and then get back before hypothermia sets in!

In my case I'd have to drive thirty or so miles to Kansas City where there's actually bus service. :)
QuoteWhat should I pack in a survival kit as well as a tin of toffees and a credit card?  ;)

Can't help you there.  My survival kit consists largely of the good sense to stay home when the weather gets that nasty...
"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain

Angus A Fitziron

JosephR, I have discovered that whenever I think of all the things I have done I automatically consider all the things I have yet to do ...

I have yet to fly in an 80 year old bi-plane (due this year)
I have yet to complete an ocean crossing in a sail boat
I haven't driven a steam engine (I have driven a steam roller)
I haven't written a book
etc.,

and the rest of me getting flabby is bad enough, I want to keep my laurels nice and lean!

I am sure there is a massive difference between England and Missouri - in fact there are parts of England where I wouldn't try this, let alone Scotland or Wales. However, having survived in Essex for 60 years I think I know when it's being serious. The last time it was really nasty was the '53 floods - and the buses still ran.

This bus is driving up a river. It looks like a road because the Victorians put the river in an underground tunnel and built a road over it. Oh, those Victorians ...

JosephR

Quote from: Angus A Fitziron on January 25, 2010, 07:26:45 PM
JosephR, I have discovered that whenever I think of all the things I have done I automatically consider all the things I have yet to do ...

Angus, I hope you realize I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I wrote that!  (There's probably an equivalent metaphor for fingers and keyboard but I have no idea what it is. :) )  I will say that while I have much left that I wish to do, I can honestly say I have nothing whatsoever left to prove.

"...having seen everything there is to see, including the botanical gardens, which seem to me likely to confer a great benefit on the country, and the new Houses of Parliament, which I expect will do nothing of the sort..." -Allan Quatermain

Angus A Fitziron

Oh yes, I enjoyed your wry comment!
Quote from: JosephR on January 25, 2010, 07:45:13 PM
I will say that while I have much left that I wish to do, I can honestly say I have nothing whatsoever left to prove.

A sentiment I absolutely second. I take on these things either because they please me or please those I choose to please. To my sadness I had never heard of Anne Herbert 'til the other day. I was particularly moved and motivated by the final words of her article "Handy tips on how to behave at the death of the world".

QuoteEschew blandness. Eschew causing other's pain. We are all the target so wear bright colors and dance with those you love. Falling in love has always been a bit too much to apply to one person. Falling in love is appropriate for now, to love all these things which are about to leave. The rocks are watching, and the squirrels and the stars and the tired people in the street. If you love them, let them know, with grace and non-invasive extravagance. Care about the beings you care about in gorgeous and surprising ways. Color outside the lines. Practice random kindness and senseless acts of beauty. This is your last chance.

These beautiful ideas make complete sense to me.

The Squire

Over 50? Ah yes, I qualify, and am prepared and delighted to be dubbed a 'steamgeezer.' I was mocked today by an old friend for my interest in steampunkery...well, chided, anyway. I told him that I will not turn into an old curmudgeon just because my beard is gray.
"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."

tombanwell

This club is feeling way too crowded for my taste, but if we can have a nice quiet room set aside for the sixty-plus contingency I would eagerly drop by for a bit of tea and crumpets.
Full steam ahead,
Tom