News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The League of Left-Handers

Started by Janus Zarate, September 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janus Zarate

Continuing a tradition that I sparked on another forum, I am establishing a unique organization here exclusively for the sinistral.

If you are a lefty, you are compelled to join forces with your southpaw brethren for the betterment of the left-handed community!  For too long we have endured criticism, stereotypes, associations with evil (although in my case, they're quite accurate  ;)), and the horrors of tools and equipment designed for our right-handed oppressors.  For too long we have relegated ourselves to the background merely because we are vastly outnumbered by the opposite-handed.  For too long, we have treated our left-handedness as merely an oddity, when it is actually the mark of a genius!

Lefties of the world: UNITE!

Our Members as of February 1, 2010:

1   Janus Zarate
2   OswaldBastable
3   Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
4   Herr Klinger
5   Countessa Lenora
6   Vienna Fahrmann
7   Pnakotus
8   Jemima Annabelle Clough
9   Tara
10   vela
11   Merlin Augustus
12   Cpt. Tobias Warde
13   Airship Cyborg
14   diamantequeen
15   sebastian Inkerman
16   Genevieve Ozuna
17    S.Sprocket
18   TheBladeRoden
19   Choreocrat
20   Johannes von Koenigsbach
21   Drac
22   Himself
23   Bonny Gallows
24   Prometheus Culier
25   shadowmane
26   Steamhappi
27   Lumis
28   Josephine Hogwood
29   Marble (feline liaison)
30   Ms. Elisabeth Collins
31   Lady Corsair
32   elShoggotho
33   techgnosi
34   blackdragon
35   Thor
36   Thorinis
37   Cyrillia Davenport
38   Isabella Stormrift
39   Ainsly Woodsworth
40   AirshipGreaseMonkey
41   MWBailey
42   Blacksheep
43   PockyNightmare

OswaldBastable

I'm the first recruit, do I get a badge?

The reason the right handed oppress us is FEAR; the left handed have a far higher percentage chance of being a genius (and coincidentally being insane)
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Quote from: OswaldBastable on September 18, 2009, 09:43:29 AM
I'm the first recruit, do I get a badge?

The reason the right handed oppress us is FEAR; the left handed have a far higher percentage chance of being a genius (and coincidentally being insane)

Is that a fact, or a function of our low numbers?

There're fewer of us, see? Left-handers may well have the same chance of madness and genuis as the population on the whole. However, since there aren't as many of us, it'd be more notable, since a proportionately greater number of left handers have those traits.

Bottom line: It's an artifact of statistics, if you will. You're not more likely to be mad or a genius just because you use your left hand.

OswaldBastable

to be fair I am quoting half remembered details; however statistics of that nature should always be judged on a percentage basis otherwise it would as you have said be rather silly.

In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand,Chris McManus of University College London argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centres of the brain.

McManus also says that the increase in the 20th century of people identifying as left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses.

Anyone disagreeing is of course the victim of right handed propaganda!  ;)

Capt. Dirigible

QuoteLefties of the world: UNITE!

Right on !!! ;D

You need a symbol...maybe a clenched fist (a left fist of course!)

Spoiler: ShowHide
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Herr Klinger

Left-handed people are in their right mind, right-handed people have to use what's left.

Count me in! Right handed tools, doors in shops, even cigarette lighters and corkscrews! We shall rise and crush!!!!!

Or just talk about things, it's really up to you.
"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan

Countessa Lenora

My goodness am I the first lady member - how wonderful!

I am the only left-handed member of my family.  Even my own children are right-handed.  I have always enjoyed being unique...and a genius....why thank you  ;)
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

helios

As a member of the right handers, I commend you on your efforts. I extend my left hand, hoping to extend the hand of friendship between us. A hand that is neither left, nor right, but simply metaphorical. Also, I brought a cake, if anyone's interested.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

OswaldBastable

Quote from: helios on September 19, 2009, 12:40:39 PM
As a member of the right handers, I commend you on your efforts. I extend my left hand, hoping to extend the hand of friendship between us. A hand that is neither left, nor right, but simply metaphorical. Also, I brought a cake, if anyone's interested.

well if you brought cake...........

Vienna Fahrmann

I'm a leftie also.

Vienna

Pnakotus

Ahoy thar mateys! I be a south paw, at least when it comes to writing.
Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on September 18, 2009, 10:07:15 AM
Bottom line: It's an artifact of statistics, if you will. You're not more likely to be mad or a genius just because you use your left hand.
I will not, for there are "Lies, damned lies, and statistics". Like beauty to the eye of the beholder, truth is to the heart of the believer. Left handers are all mad and geniuses, even if they nor anyone else around them notices. ;)
"Tie two birds together,
and although they have four wings,
they cannot fly."

Jemima Annabelle Clough

I'm ambi, so I'm just half popping in ;)
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Janus Zarate

Quote from: helios on September 19, 2009, 12:40:39 PM

While I appreciate your frosted gesture, I must inquire: is the accompanying cake server set right-handed?  :P

Anyhow... if any of you happen to take pride in numbers, here is the list of members so far:

#1 – Janus Zarate
#2 – OswaldBastable
#3 – Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
#4 – Capt. Dirigible
#5 – Herr Klinger
#6 – Aspen
#7 – Vienna Fahrmann
#8 – Pnakotus
#8.5 – Jemima Annabelle Clough

Okay, I'm kidding on the last one.  That should be #9. :D

Jemima, if you're willing to side with the sinistral in every battle between the left-handed and the right-handed, you are welcome to stay aboard.  Otherwise, you are merely a double-agent. :P

Tara

I'm a leftie, more or less; I only learned to write with my left hand, but everything else I do with my left or right hand as the mood takes me.

Janus Zarate

Good enough for me, Tara. You're our 10th member. ;)

randomjedi_1138

Not a member of your brotherhood myself, however my other-half and our bat-winged cogling are both of the left-handed persuasion
"Why Ambassador, with these lime and orange tic-tacs you are really spoiling us!"
Baron Redmond Asmodeus Maycock - Ship's Ambassadoer, HMAS Discombobulus
Freelance Investigator of the Eldritch, Otherworldly and Unusual / *Purveyor of fine Teas*

vela

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Janus Zarate

Quote from: randomjedi_1138 on September 19, 2009, 06:35:33 PM
Not a member of your brotherhood myself, however my other-half and our bat-winged cogling are both of the left-handed persuasion

I thank you, good sir, for contributing a new genius to the world. :)

Vela, you're our 11th member.

Vienna Fahrmann

According to my mother, she made every effort possible to make my right handed when I was a very young child, but I remained stubbornly a leftie.  My father was a natural leftie whose parents had coerced him into using his right hand by stabbing his left hand with a fork or other pointy implement every time he used it.

Vienna

Janus Zarate

Your resistance makes you perfectly qualified to join our ranks.  Welcome to the revolution, Vienna! :D

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Vienna Fahrmann on September 20, 2009, 07:40:43 PM

According to my mother, she made every effort possible to make my right handed when I was a very young child, but I remained stubbornly a leftie.  My father was a natural leftie whose parents had coerced him into using his right hand by stabbing his left hand with a fork or other pointy implement every time he used it.

Vienna

The left is strong in this one........

Cpt. Tobias Warde

<punches a Kalashnikov into the air, gripping in his left hand> For the REVOLUTION!

...wha'? Oh. We're a League, not a Revolution. Excuse me <tosses the AK into the corner>

So! Whats our strategy for dominating the world with our genius?

(on another note, left handers tend to have slightly faster reflexes than right handers, due to how the brain is wired up. Don't ask me for details as I don't have any ::))

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"

Janus Zarate

It's rather complicated and still a work in progress, but here is the gist of it so far:

First, we begin introducing prominent left-handed individuals into political offices.  America is ahead of you on that one. ;)

Next, we begin subtly dismantling right-handed appliances and tools, forcing the uneducated right-handed to purchase and learn to operate left-handed products.

Then, we gather up gorgeous left-handed women and use them as poster models for our civil rights campaign material...

von Corax

I should think the League's first order of business should be to draw up a Charter, and a Bill of Lefts.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

OswaldBastable

Quote from: von Corax on September 21, 2009, 02:54:06 AM
I should think the League's first order of business should be to draw up a Charter, and a Bill of Lefts.
;D
Quality idea old chap