News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The League of Left-Handers

Started by Janus Zarate, September 18, 2009, 01:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowmane

Steamhappi

Hey Mystic!
Righty playing lefty signing in!
I only knew that you'd know that I knew, did you know that?

Janus Zarate

Quote from: shadowmane on October 22, 2009, 12:06:44 AM
I'm in.  Left-hander's rule.

Indeed we do. :D

You're our 25th member.

Quote from: Steamhappi on October 22, 2009, 12:32:55 AM
Hey Mystic!

Whoa.  Basshappi?

I'm being stalked across forums! :o

You're #26 in the slightly steamier version of our organization.  ;D

Tara

Quote from: Bonny Gallows on October 21, 2009, 07:40:44 AM
Finally, a place where no one will insist I "just try writing with [my] right hand" or make me throw a baseball or shoot a rifle right-handed! The only thing I do right-handed is use scissors, since as a child the only available scissors were right-handed scissors, and while I did try to use them in my left hand, it hurt terribly!
My school had left-handed scissors, but they were all 'safety' scissors with rounded tips.  The right-handers got to use proper pointy scissors.  I always felt like we were being sent a message...

Once, when I was in kindergarden, the room mother noticed I was using a pair of left-handed scissors with my right hand (without much success).  She stopped me, took the scissors away, and came back with a right-handed pair.  I had grasped that there were different scissors for different hands, but apparently not which were which, so I dutifully switched hands and began using my new right-handed scissors with my left hand.  When she came by again she was not amused, and brought me back my left handed scissors.  It kind of went on from there.

Steamhappi

Quote from: Janus Zarate on October 22, 2009, 02:00:16 AM

Quote from: Steamhappi on October 22, 2009, 12:32:55 AM
Hey Mystic!

Whoa.  Basshappi?

I'm being stalked across forums! :o

You're #26 in the slightly steamier version of our organization.  ;D

Indeed sir, it is I. Imagine my surprise to discover you are also a Steampunk! It seems we have much in common.
Thank you for the welcome into the "Left Hand of Steam" as it were  ;D, Good to be here!

Cheers!
I only knew that you'd know that I knew, did you know that?

von Corax

I seem to favour my left hand for opening jars and bottles. Is that worth anything around here? (It's merely one more point of perplexity among the rest of the Corax clan...)
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

OswaldBastable

Quote from: von Corax on October 23, 2009, 06:41:40 AM
I seem to favour my left hand for opening jars and bottles. Is that worth anything around here? (It's merely one more point of perplexity among the rest of the Corax clan...)

Its your brain telling you to switch hands  ;D
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

helios

Quote from: von Corax on October 23, 2009, 06:41:40 AM
I do this too, but for just about everything else, it's the right hand that's dominant.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

Herr Klinger

The majority of injuries I sustain at work(excepting the molten metal splashes) are to my right hand. It's as if my body is trying to remove the foul thing once and for all. Although it is useful for manipulating bottles, and menial labor the left hand refuses to do.....
"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan

Lumis

Greetings all! It's good to know there are fellow lefties out there who also desire to make the right-handed set suffer in a left-oriented world
si modo scias quid hoc scribatur...

Josephine Hogwood

Greetings, I'm also left-handed, may I join you?

OswaldBastable

Josephine Hogwood

OswaldBastable

thats 28 members by my count? if we carry on growing we'll need badges, hats, ranks and an anthem :P

"You will be split into pairs, the first man/woman will carry the left handed fountain pen the second the spare ink............"

vela

Pnakotus, you have asked a ponderous question. 

Also:
It would seem that all lefties should have a natural aversion to all pointy-scissory things.
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Drac

Quote from: OswaldBastable on October 26, 2009, 03:30:46 PM
thats 28 members by my count? if we carry on growing we'll need badges, hats, ranks and an anthem :P

"You will be split into pairs, the first man/woman will carry the left handed fountain pen the second the spare ink............"

and we can send the wronghanded liaison out to look for a lefthand pipe wrench! LOL
it iz pozzible... I think... maybe sort of

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Quote from: Drac on October 26, 2009, 11:32:49 PM

and we can send the wronghanded liaison out to look for a lefthand pipe wrench! LOL

For some reason that reminded me of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Races_of_Bas-Lag#Handlingers
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Drac on October 26, 2009, 11:32:49 PM

haha nice one

Countessa Lenora

I like that term - sinistrals. It is quite fetching.
Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk

vela

Quote from: Countessa Lenora on October 27, 2009, 11:05:37 AM
I like that term - sinistrals. It is quite fetching.

Yes, we are quite fetching, aren't we?

-> My cat Marble wishes to join our ranks as the first feline-human liaison.  -He is a southpaw.

If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov

Herr Klinger

Mildly on topic, I once owned a left 'legged' hermit crab. My green basilisk, however, seems to be a righty(agamids use arm waving to communicate authority).
"In what country is there a place for people like me?"
~ Andrew Ryan

OswaldBastable

left legged creatures, thats interesting as I didnt realise they could be left/right dominant

vela

Marble is most certainly left-pawed.  All my other cats are right-paw dominant.  

That's what I get for being the only lefty in the family.  More accurately, I should say, "the only lefty in the parentage".

-Ivan Drugostrov

vela

Have we all gone on holiday at the same time?
                -Ivan Drugostrov

Janus Zarate

Possibly. :)

When I'm not so sleepy, I'll go through the thread and assign some numbers to our newest members.

In the meantime, we lefties need to go forth into the world and give the right-handed a little mayhem.  Dismantle some right-handed scissors for the cause. ;D