News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Official Pen-Pal Place

Started by vela, September 25, 2009, 10:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleio.Leander

Hello there,
I'm still a little lost on these forums and will probably be keel-hauled for ignorance sooner or later, but I wouldn't mind a pen pal. Probably for IC writing as well as OOC. I'm seventeen, female and in the UK, taking some Alevel courses (loathing these) and learning sign language (not loathing this!).
This forum hasn't been posted on for a while but I still hope to be included!
Kleio

Edit: I have had a couple of pen-pal responses, so I've got my ink a little tied up, but I don't mind more if you wish to contact me!

Joozey

I too would like to snail-mail one fellow Steampunker.

I am 21, male and residing in the cold, wet, barren and flat regions of the northern lowlands, often referred to as The Netherlands.
My interests go to medieval times, DIY, travelling to even further north and true romance of nature. Like rain or so. You know.

Preferably female and within my age range (let's say a maximum deviation of 8 years) and hundreds of miles away (Belgium feels like hundreds of miles away). No need to attach any specific meaning behind my preference. Chatting with women of my own age gives me much more mental comfort than a fellow gendered man or a considerably older lady. I can't measure myself to them properly.

But I shouldn't make too much limits, knowing these kind of actions the PM's will be all but overwhelming :D. If you're outside my preferences and dying to contact me for whatever creepy reasons you have, by all means do not let doubts inflame yourself, and send a PM.
Engineer J. Fairbeard, Civil Engineer
Designer of the H.M.S. Mercuria

anno

As I have not heard back from my previous partner, due to what I can only assume are shockingly adventurous circumstances, please consider this my request for a new one. I would vastly prefer to put pen to paper, and am in no way picky as to the statistics of the other; age, sex, and nationality be dammed. I shall amend this post once correspondence contracts have been exchanged by means of private message.

Amended!

Timothy Kew

(I'll go fire off a couple PMs in a moment, but I may as well put this up here)

I'm also looking for a penpal. No particular requirements, except actual letterwriting, although UK or nearby would be slightly preferred to save on postage. I'm a mathematics student at a well known university, and spend spare time on a variety of hobbies, primarily theatre teching, fire spinning, and reading SF. Any penpal would have to remember that regular changes of address are required, as I'll be spending my years split between a couple locations for the forseeable future.

T
To call SteamPunk NeoVictorianism is to mistake the book for its dust jacket.

vela

Letters in from Steamchick and Cremorne. 

To my penpals: forgive my profound delinquency.  I shall be replying to everyone's letters in the next few days!
If you spend your life as a parasite, then it is likely your offspring will follow suit.  Beware, they might turn on you. 
                -Ivan Drugostrov
           (The Parasite's Manifesto)

Powerslave60

I haven't had a pen-pal since I was in the 4th Grade!  How fun!  I guess I should give some details, then!

I hate writing bios, I never know what to say.

I'm 27, male, and live in Michigan, USA.  I've been a fan of everything Steampunk since I was a kid, but didn't know it actually had a name until maybe about 6 months ago (I'm a bit daft).  I'm a huge History Geek, and always willing to learn about new things.  I'm not really wanting to do e-mailing as I get enough of it anyway, and I only check it once a month.
"But if we don't cut down the trees, how will we make our houses?"

Aetheria

Hello,

I'm in the market for a penpal, either sex any location. Traditional preferably. I am not particularly loquacious so my letters will be only a few pages at best but I try to add drawings so you don't feel gypped. Also interested in doing a one page comic exchange (either traditional or email)

Send me a pm and we can work out details

For those interested:
I'm 26 year old female graphic designer and artist living in Canada. I'm getting married in august, I have one cat and 14 bookshelves.

Nefthys

Quote from: Aetheria on December 30, 2009, 07:36:24 PM
Hello,

I'm in the market for a penpal, either sex any location. Traditional preferably. I am not particularly loquacious so my letters will be only a few pages at best but I try to add drawings so you don't feel gypped. Also interested in doing a one page comic exchange (either traditional or email)

Send me a pm and we can work out details

For those interested:
I'm 26 year old female graphic designer and artist living in Canada. I'm getting married in august, I have one cat and 14 bookshelves.

I'll be your pen-pal! >.<

Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!

Aetheria

Nef: Saddest mailman ever "I'll just deliver this...Is this post marked one block from it's return address? ....... WTFBBQ?"

Nefthys

Oohh.. but we could make a secret code and leave messages in special places around the neighbourhood to find!

Or you know, you could find a real pen-pall too. Hehe.
Are you thinking what I'm thinking? Good, you bring the hot oil, I'll get the gears!

LukeHogbin

Or, you could use the Enigma simulator -> http://users.telenet.be/d.rijmenants/

;D Me and my cousin used it a while ago when he was all hyped about cryptology. It was fun.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

anagramforink

I'm kind of new around here (well, long time reader, but only just signed up). I tend to write very long letters at very long intervals, to the point where any penpal might think I'm dead, but then suddenly a thick wad of not-entirely-readable scribbling will show up.

Some things about me: female, late 30s, living in the boonies of Nova Scotia Canada. I write (fiction and non; currently working on a steampunk serial novel). I draw (comics and other things). I make my living writing about video games and doing traditional letterpress printing by hand, and also bookbinding. I like books. A lot. I'm a printer, printmaker and photographer. Did I mention I like books? I live in the woods, so I might write about birds and trees and things. I love old things, but I'm also a technophile.

I'd like a traditional, hand-written sort of penpal; maybe someone who likes to add little doodles and drawings to the text. Sex and age not important. Nor is location, though someone from far away would be cool. Multiple penpals are ok, though the more I have, the shorter and/or more infrequent the letters are likely to be, so maybe I should just stick with one or two.

Niko

Edit: I've got two pen pals now, so I'd better step out and see if I can keep up with these two.

LukeHogbin

@anagramforink: Woo, a fellow printer! Care for a printer pen-pal from Slovenia, Europe? ;D
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

anagramforink

Quote from: LukeHogbin on January 01, 2010, 10:25:38 PM
@anagramforink: Woo, a fellow printer! Care for a printer pen-pal from Slovenia, Europe? ;D

Absolutely! Send me a PM with your address and I'll start working on a letter. ;D

phang

You mean I can get actually letters in the black box on my house and not just bills and catalogs? Amazing.

Like others been poking around for a while and recently added my username to the list.

Me:

Gentleman (at least I try, sometimes) late 30's (if my math is right). part-time writer (novel unfinished), reader( books still in boxes from move), woodworker (when I get my garage back), and home repair and re-modeler (bought fixer-upper).
Currently residing in Central PA.

Warning: handwriting is illegible. decryption kit to be supplied with first letter.

Send PM for address
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Nefthys

While I have a pen-pal I am still open to having another.

I am a female living in Canada but originally from Wales, and 25 years of age. I'm intersted in history (of course!) video games, anime, comic books, horses, books (most fantasy and sci-fi) and mountain outdoor activities like skiing and hiking. I'm an artist and teacher currently working on contract work, so I have quite a bit of free time and love to put a lot of effort into my letters. I also have far too many wax seals and need a good excuse to use them all!

PM me if you are interested. I'll write to anywhere in the world.

Ceallach Curley

I would definitely like a pen pal, but I'm quite new here, so I don't really feel comfortable just PMing someone with the same interests quite yet.

I'm a female in the US, eighteen years old, and a college student. I love historical fashion and costume design, and even work in my Uni's theatre's costume shop. I'm studying German, on top of theatre, and I wouldn't doubt if I went for a minor in art, as well, because I love to make and design just about anything. I bake a lot, so there would be baked goods in the mail for any pen pal. I love comics and manga, video games, playing Quidditch, fencing, playing violin, thrift/antique shopping, and working in the theatre.

PM me if you're interested - I'd love to trade letters with just about anyone.

Joozey

Received the letter of Miss Leander, thanks!
Now I'll need to go through the trouble of getting seal wax and a seal stamp *somewhere* :)

LukeHogbin

Quote from: Joozey on January 07, 2010, 02:28:25 PM
Received the letter of Miss Leander, thanks!
Now I'll need to go through the trouble of getting seal wax and a seal stamp *somewhere* :)

Dunno how it is in the Netherlands, but here in Slovenia you can get those in pretty much all arts shops.

Joozey

I asked in some shops, no one sold so far. Will be off to another soon, they say they have a few. I hope they are decent prints. I don't need some dolphin mark. :D

Ceallach Curley

Joozey, if you poke about the internet and ebay for a bit, I'm sure you can find a wax seal for cheap. : )
I managed to find one at my local dollar store for just a dollar.
(Maybe I should buy a ton of those, and offer them to people here. No profit, just the cost of the seal and the shipping. They can be hard to find for cheap.)

SirValdemar

Wax seal kits can be purchased at some of your finer book stores such as barnes and nobles.

Ok I will throw my card into the hat.

I'm a gentleman in my late 30's currently residing in one of the original colonies in the America's called Virginia.  I'm somewhat new to steampunk only in the sense that I have jumped into the culture but have been a long time watcher as it were.  I have a persona that I am currently putting together in my head who will be an honest hard working man of the middle class whom makes his living through a small farm and a workshop where he repairs machinery and other items for customers and works on his projects in his spare time delving into metallurgy and clockwork as well as alchemy and steam engines to combine them together, really he will be a jack of all trades and self sufficient.  Sir Valdemar will also be a family man and possibly other things but for now I need to build up the core parts of his character before I get crazy.

Myself as a flesh and blood person I work full time and attend a local technical school where I'm actually learning about metallurgy as a welder and have a good chance of actually working on sea going ships.  My interests are broad in all respects but I find that as of late I'm being drawn towards working with my hands on various things such as wood and metal and the soil so I will be returning to horticulture and agriculture as well as crafting things for the house.  I care for my father as of the last 8 months or so and have been slowly repairing his / our house and have a great deal more to do.

Due to my hectic work/school/ect schedule I'm best suited to aether mail for the time being but can on occasion send off paper script through the pony express though I warn you now that I write like a doctor on an epileptic seizure.

I'm open to anyone anywhere though with anyone under the age of 18 you must first clear it with your guardian(s).  I tend to be more comfortable chatting with the softer finer side of the human race but as I said I am open to anyone anywhere its just that I may be a better conversator with ladies than the gentlemen most likely due to my growing up in a house full of women but I am also equally comfortable with my hands covered in grease taking apart a 413 out of a 1965 chrysler new yorker. haha!

I must also add that I have fully rediscovered my love of books and have added some rare Rudyard Kipling to my collection as well as HG Wells and some Plato with more on the way.
Discovering the mysteries of brass copper and hard wood is only half the thrill, combining them together in a useful bit or bauble is the real treasure.

HarleyQuinnKT

Hello All!

I am new to the steampunk community, but what I make up for in practice I make up for in passion! I am a 24 year old lady from Washington, DC. Currently I am living in Northern New Jersey, near NYC. I love traveling, creating, learning and playing.

I am interested in a pen pal from another country. I have no preference for gender, but I prefer someone my age or older than I am. I would love traditional writing, but I would be open to the occasional email as well.

Fascinating fun facts: 1) This year me and my sister are going to South Africa to see Germany in the World Cup!!! 2) I'm excited to decorate my apartment in steampunk style. 3) I'm creating a steampunk comic, and would love to play around with characters every once in a while.

Nicodemus Kingsford

I'm up for it!

I'm male, I'm 17 years old, and I live in British Columbia. I'm looking for a penpal I can exchange regular,  solid mail,  letters with.  I'm new to steampunk and I'm interested in constructing a persona.
I don't really care who I'm matched with, but I would prefer someone who lives at least out of province, and who can spell. 

Let me know!
"Cricket is basically baseball on Valium."

JoyBoe VonHeldinberry

Good afternoon, everyone!

I myself am an seventeen year old from Portland, OR, and would be quite interested in a pen pal.  Unfortunately, due to financial restraints, I won't be able to ship internationally.  Other than that, age & gender are of no concern   :]  If you're interested, let me know~
"It is certain because it is impossible."  - Tertullian