News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Was Vern Right?

Started by Baron Kolskegg Xothan, June 05, 2007, 07:37:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What _Will_ they find through the entrance?

Axel's _Dino Island_
3 (11.5%)
Nugat, but no chocolate.... mmmm Nugat!
4 (15.4%)
A white rabbit rushing off to join a tea party
12 (46.2%)
Burnt effigies of Sir Conan A. Doyle
2 (7.7%)
It's empty, the gremlins mined it all out!
5 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Baron Kolskegg Xothan

So it rather appears that a band of Americans are planning on visiting the Arctic to find an opening to the _CENTER OF THE EARTH_. Some one call Rick Wakeman and Vernian Process so we can have them compete for the honours producing the  musical score and soundtrack to this epic journey.

What, fellow BGers are your thoughts on this?

Best regards, Your humble servant (for now), Baron Kolskegg Xothan Provisional Lord Governor of New Jersey (Southern Territories) of the Eastern Coast of the Northern Hemisphere of the New American Continent.

akumabito

Yes, I've heard of this yesterday. Seems like a nice waste of time and money. Yet naturally I can not suppress the hope that they do actually find something and prove the rest of the world wrong :D

Gearworks

There is a place for us out there, we need only pick the spot.  Rise up out of mediocrity and let us bring about our own Golden Age.

chicar

this what happen when you read too much steampunk Lol.

But i also have the guilty hope they find something. In some way, this expedition have probably the same impact today in steampunker than the apollo program has probably has in the sci fi fan in the 60's.
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

zenmondo

I am pretty sure I heard these guys interviewed on Coast to Coast AM.
-=[KING of the Wyoming Steampunks]=-

Zen & The Art Of Steampunk

Jake of All Trades

I am devoting all wishing resources to the hope that they find domesticated dinosaurs and beautiful elf-women. 

A guy can dream, right?  Please?  I'll settle for bipedal lizards and human girls with pointy ears...
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

rollerboi

They will hear an eerie sound, like the lilt of faraway pipes on the wind... horror will befall the whole expedition. only one survivor will be found, babbling incoherently, before finally lapsing into catatonic madness.

in all seriousness, I do believe there could very well be something established in the arctic, although I do think the expedition will be thwarted from finding it.
"Release the penguins."

Jake of All Trades

Quote from: rollerboi on June 06, 2007, 02:16:19 AM
in all seriousness, I do believe there could very well be something established in the arctic, although I do think the expedition will be thwarted from finding it.
Yes, in all probability the she-elves are well aware of the mission and have gone into hiding.  Drat!  Seriously though, I do agree with you. 

If anyone is interested in a more light-hearted tale of what may live Below the Crust, I highly recomend the Artemis Fowl books.  I thought they were going to be mere Harry Potter-copying drivel, but I gave 'em a chance and read the first book.  It was great!  More cyber than steam, I suppose, but there is both.  They're young-adult books so they go fast--give 'em a try!
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

Baron Kolskegg Xothan

Quote from: akumabito on June 05, 2007, 08:26:43 AM
...Seems like a nice waste of time and money. Yet naturally I can not suppress the hope that they do actually find something and prove the rest of the world wrong :D

It seems you have gimlet vision and have almost hit upon what this really is. It's advertising copy, plain and simple it's like Buffalo Bill, but without any of the positives of championing the dissenfranchised (e.g. distortions, lies and a lot of showmanship). This man Brooks Agnew, propose to merge creationism with science and sell it to scientifically illiterate people.
No matter how the expedition ends it will be spun faster, harder, and with more panache than Bill O'Riley could hope to ever muster. If it fails his group will make up several stories (some involving suppression by the Gub'mint!, some by how a sacred pact was made with the 'Nephilim' and they were forced to leave behind all tangible evidence to save The World As We Know It!, and even if they do find anything they would not actually portray their findings accurately, it would end up being made sexy.)  And like I said no matter how the wheel of fate spins it will sell books, dvds, lectures and seminars.

Now should there be beautiful elf women .... here's my $29.95 now where's my DVD?

Best regards, Your humble servant (for now), Baron Kolskegg Xothan Provisional Lord Governor of New Jersey (Southern Territories) of the Eastern Coast of the Northern Hemisphere of the New American Continent - Surface Dweller.

Elwood

I read this while lurking on the Hollow Earth Expedition board and couldn't help but laugh. It sounds out there, but I sincerely hoping they find something worthwhile. We need one more frontier to explore on Earth, and the Hollow Earth would be just the place! So god speed gentlemen!
I think Alan Alda put it best when he said,
"If I can't get the girl, at least give me more money."

Obadiah Askew

Quote from: Elwood on June 06, 2007, 11:57:09 PM
I read this while lurking on the Hollow Earth Expedition board and couldn't help but laugh. It sounds out there, but I sincerely hoping they find something worthwhile. We need one more frontier to explore on Earth, and the Hollow Earth would be just the place! So god speed gentlemen!

there is still much of our seas that is unknown. i mean, about every time that there is an expedition to the ocean's floor, something new is found. and i must say that many of the species in the twilight zone and lower are INCREDIBLY interesting.