News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

UK Steampunks

Started by Kitten Brigadier, January 05, 2010, 10:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TribalWren

Quote from: Captain Marmaduke Elias on February 02, 2010, 07:01:55 PM
Hello all,
   This may be a rather silly question, or my inability to use the search engine, but is there a regular meeting of those who love all things steam in London? as I am now in a poisition where I could attend, mind you my attire would have to be a fine suit as the rest of my clothing is annoyingly uniform.

Hi Captain! And also to The Little Pixie Tailor and any other London dwellers! I was hoping to rally a band of people together to ocassionally meet for social purposes...not necessarily being directly linked to steampunk but just an opportunity for like-minded people to hang out and make new friends etc.

I did set up a thread on this part of the board called The Guild of London Town but didn't get much of a response so I figured people weren't interested. If any of you ARE, however, how about you throw your ideas for meeting places at us and see if we can get a social together?! I wasn't thinking of anything 'official' as such. The VSS is a great band which set up proper steampunk gatherings, so you might wanna look them up- I was just thinking 'casual like'!!  ;D

I suggested going to see a burlesque show sometime cause they're awesome and I enjoy them...but I may be the only one...*cough*! So any other suggestions are welcome!  ;D

Hopefully I will actually get to meet some of you some time... ::) Wren xx

Galina

Quote from: Cabletwitch on February 16, 2010, 05:49:54 PM
Engineer, reporting in!

Currently located in the strange anomaly known as Guildford

I am so sorry... I spent 18 years there before I made my way up to Lancashire. I would say 'the better part of', but I was packed off to school at 11, and so nine months out of twelve found me in Rickmansworth. (Now I wait and see if any fellows come out of the woodwork. Hmm).

Lancaster, here. Not quite by choice, more by inertia. Can't get up the momentum to leave. (My resident physicist appears to be doing his best to shift matters, however...  :-X)

SteamPunkHarper

Good morrow, good people! Oxford here.
The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us!

Madame Jules

Reside in Guisborough now but originally from Merseyside - I know which I prefer! Just wondering if there are many Steampunks in the North East?  ???

Fee

Waves from Northumberland, not too far North of Newcastle Upon Tyne.  Not many of us up here it seems  :'(

Major Dan Badger

Here from good ol' Islingtonia, not far from Hackney, either.
Here's a funny fact, I have never met another Steampunk. Ever.
Maybe I shall come along to this meet-up that Wren proposes. However being 14 and with no other older Steamers I know, I shall maybe wait a while.

Major Dan
Major Dan Badger
Inventor, Explorer, Extrodinaire
Recipient of the Golden Cog for Outstanding Bravery and Valour

Mister Griffiths

Everyone I seem to know lives on the line between Leeds, where I live, and Birmingham, where I am from, so I can generally be found somewhere along that line :)
"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"

Angel

Quote from: Thor on January 07, 2010, 10:21:49 AM
When I'm actually in the UK, home is Grimsby.  Second home is Kingston-upon-Thames, I try to visit as often as possible.

Another from Grimsby, spending a considerable amount of my time in Hull.
"With a rifle, you can kill one man; but with a machine gun, you can make a whole army keep its head down." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote from: Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth on April 13, 2008, 09:04:17 PM
Buns are obviously not designed for their aerodynamic properties.

Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge

Quote from: Fee on February 20, 2010, 08:15:51 PM
Waves from Northumberland, not too far North of Newcastle Upon Tyne.  Not many of us up here it seems  :'(

Two?  ;D

elysium64

Reporting in for duty..... based in Midhurst, West Sussex halfway between Chichester and Guildford. With regular visits to London, so would be happy to join in with Wren's meet's.

Aurelius 12

Contact reported!
Message coming in from Norwich, far across the fens, and miles from any other steamers by the looks of things.
Beware philosophers bearing cocktail sausages.

Mr Addams

Hello Aurelius,
I would refer you to the League of Essextrodinary Gentlemen thread in the United Kingdom Section of Geographical. This is a thread for Steampunks in the East Anglia region.
Whilst Steampunks are a bit thin on the ground in the South East, there are a few of us to be found.

Kevin C Cooper Esq

Residing in the borough of Dudley unfortunately, Quarry Bank to be precise.

James Harrison

Chalk up a third member from Staffordshire  :)

Cannock Chase, in this instance.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Lady Effy

here miss.

I reside in Cambridgeshire but, I originate from the Northern parts of London. :)
Try everything once, like they say don't mock till you've tried it-except mullets..mock away!

Dr_Gonzo_Esq

Nottingham, I'm afraid...

(If anyone knows of a Notts-based SP group, let me know please!)
Never lick a van de graaf generator; the rest of the band'll get jealous...

Lady Effy

Quote from: TribalWren on February 16, 2010, 10:05:09 PM
Hello all,
   This may be a rather silly question, or my inability to use the search engine, but is there a regular meeting of those who love all things steam in London? as I am now in a poisition where I could attend, mind you my attire would have to be a fine suit as the rest of my clothing is annoyingly uniform.

Hi Captain! And also to The Little Pixie Tailor and any other London dwellers! I was hoping to rally a band of people together to ocassionally meet for social purposes...not necessarily being directly linked to steampunk but just an opportunity for like-minded people to hang out and make new friends etc.

I did set up a thread on this part of the board called The Guild of London Town but didn't get much of a response so I figured people weren't interested. If any of you ARE, however, how about you throw your ideas for meeting places at us and see if we can get a social together?! I wasn't thinking of anything 'official' as such. The VSS is a great band which set up proper steampunk gatherings, so you might wanna look them up- I was just thinking 'casual like'!!  ;D

I suggested going to see a burlesque show sometime cause they're awesome and I enjoy them...but I may be the only one...*cough*! So any other suggestions are welcome!  ;D

i would love to meet up as I'm pretty new to the steam punk scene. I study in Cambridge but, visit North London weekly to see the 'rents n for work.  Could you point in the direction of any authentic looking costume shops? I'm an absolute newbe but, im very keen to explore the sp world n meet like minded people. P.s. I like burlesque too.  I'm a member of the burlesque society at my uni, so i'd be up for goin to a show. sounds like fun.  :) Lady Effy x
Try everything once, like they say don't mock till you've tried it-except mullets..mock away!

OswaldBastable

Quote from: Dr_Gonzo_Esq on March 14, 2010, 05:52:10 PM

I believe there are several SPs in the area though due to my own tardiness I havnt met any yet either  ::)
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

letto

here from blyth northumberland

TimeTinker

Quote from: Dr_Gonzo_Esq on March 14, 2010, 05:52:10 PM

We don't tend to organise as groups I'm afraid but there are a number of us in Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Chesterfield, Rotherham and Sheffield and get together fairly regularly.  Keep an eye here on geographical.  There is talk of a get together over easter at Papplewick Pumping Station. (Just north of Nottingham).
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

Tenlo

Hello all,

Hmm We have a small group of us who meet up just down the Thames from you city dwellers in Southend who meet up regularlyish. If you do organise a meeting I'll see if we can join you

Danbury Shakes

Hello all,

I have to apologise as I seem to have completely missed this post.  Living at the end of the Victoria Line I would like to be involved or possible asked to be involved in future events.  I have to state I don't think I would be a "regular" as I do have other pulls on my time, but I would LOVE to meet up with others who feel that wearing a top hat and tail coat isn't a reason to shun me (although it does tend to get me seats on the tube - notice plural, sometimes almost a whole carriage)

As for burlesque, well out of decency I may have to carry two spare top hats - any indication of the hat size  ::)

Miss Romwell

Good day!

I reside in Bristol, a city which manages to be both fair, and of dubious merit, at the same time. Just like myself.

macloud

greetings from stoke on trent - land of canals, potbanks and [hopefully] saxon loot - stuff you birmingham museum, our saxon loot now  ;D

Rockula

Quote from: macloud on March 25, 2010, 12:26:37 AM
greetings from stoke on trent - land of canals,

I'm so sorry. I just woke up and have dirty glasses. I could swear that when I read that it said 'Land of Cannibals'. ;D
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...