News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Snowdon Day Trip

Started by Gin-Soaked, January 14, 2010, 10:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gin-Soaked

Welcome! Please don't get too comfortable because we're going for a walk... Behold!

I'm here to propose a steampunk themed attempt at the [in]famous Three Peaks Challenge*. I have been meaning to attempt the Three Peaks for a while and I thought being dressed in steampunk explorer outfits would make it even better. So I did a quick search on the ol' forum, and nothing came up. Before you run away, the first event is a day trip to Snowdon, which is suitable for everyone due to the mountain train that travels to the summit and back.

The Snowdon Day Trip is suitable for everyone. There is a train that travels to the summit and back.

P.O.A. (Plan of Action)

Current Event - Snowdon Day Trip
Date TBA
This event is suitable for everyone, there is a train that travels to the summit and back.
Attending:
Please go to this message to leave your RSVP .

2nd Event - Three Day Three Peaks Doings
Spoiler: ShowHide
TBA

3rd Event - 24 Hour Challenge
TBA

I.A.Q.s (Infrequently Asked Questions)

What the dickens is the Three Peaks Challenge Doings? - N. Tesla

Good question Mr. Tesla,
Here is an extract from a useful website:
The Three Peaks Challenge involves climbing the three highest peaks, respectively, in England, Wales and Scotland, within 24 hours. The Peaks are:
Snowdon (Wales - 1085m)
Scafell Pike (England - 978m)
Ben Nevis (Scotland - 1344m)

- thethreepeakschallenge.co.uk

Is it going to cost much? - Dr. Livingstone (I presume?)

Also a good question,
The only cost is food, water tea, and the hydrocarbons for the internal combustion engine of our auto mobile(s). So yes it costs something.

When do you plan to do this? - I. K. Brunel

Yet another fine question, what a brilliantly inquisitive bunch we are!
Sometime in the week beginning 15th February OR the week beginning 5th April OR the week beginning 12th April. Whichever suits people the best.

*[note:]The "Challenge" will now be referred to as the "Doings", anyone who doesn't will be fed to the lion.

Thanks much,

Gin-Soaked.

The Governess

i'd love to, but think I may need a bit more training before attempting all of the doings before May! Maybe some other time...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

Gazongola

I think it sounds like a brilliant idea. And we need a flag for each one! Or at least a flag to pose with.

Gin-Soaked

Aha! People are interested!

Mr. Duffill, the flag idea is brilliant! Perhaps we designate a flag carrier?

Quote from: The Governess on January 15, 2010, 10:16:22 PM
i'd love to, but think I may need a bit more training before attempting all of the doings before May! Maybe some other time...

I see what you mean, I'm sure most people will find it too be a bit strenuous (myself included, I would have to start a training regime), so perhaps we all could attempt one of them to start with? With steamy-explorer attire and a flag. Snowdon will be the busiest, therefore the most entertaining.

*imagining charging the last few metres up to the summit. And the look on peoples' faces*

Gin.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Does getting the train to the top of Snowdon count? ;)

I'd love to try but I'm no climber (currently aiming to get fit enough to walk up Helvellyn later this year, though)
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

The Governess

snowden you may tempt me with, if the date is conducive...

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
www.CrimsonClocks.com

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Jemima Annabelle Clough on January 15, 2010, 10:53:24 PM
Does getting teh train to the top of Snowdon count? ;)

Of course! (If you buy the T-shirt that says "I climbed Snowdon the hard way!" :D)

Quote from: The Governess on January 15, 2010, 10:55:20 PM
snowden you may tempt me with, if the date is conducive...

Goodo  ;)

Gin.

Sir A Poiselamppe

You also need a driver and a spacious car, given you are going to be in it for the 10 hours it takes to go between Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike (7) and Snowden (3), Plus getting back home.....however I wouldn't mind giving it a go I quite like driving.

We could all agree a weekend and have 3 sets of victims enthusiasts climb each peak simultaneously, complete with photos (and picnic) at the top naturally.

Gazongola

I personally shun training! I am fit enough to do them all! (Even if I am horribly out of shape). Give me some kendal mint cake and alot of tea and by jingo it shall be done!

The Governess

just for info, my only other attempt to walk up Snowdon was in a Feb half term... We walked into a blizzard within 30 mins and had to turn back... But there was a very nice man who lives in a house near the bottom who sells got chocolate made with real hot chocolate, gave us scones, and told up where the best places to stay were... Worth returning for the chocolate alone! 

CRIMSON CLOCKS
www.CrimsonClocks.com

stockton_joans

i would most interested in joining you, once my physical fitness was up to it. I'd hate to get half way up peak 2 only to have to turn back or hold the rest of you up.

if this were to become an annual event I'd be Glad to join you next year.

p.s i love the idea of flags and on that note, has any one designed an official Brass Goggles flag, and if not, why not, we cant be a propper county, or invade others,  without a flag!
Stockton Joans:
Gentleman
Tinkerer
Part time Illithid hunter

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Sir A Poiselamppe on January 15, 2010, 11:49:14 PM
You also need a driver and a spacious car, given you are going to be in it for the 10 hours it takes to go between Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike (7) and Snowden (3), Plus getting back home.....however I wouldn't mind giving it a go I quite like driving.
Thanks for offering Sir. A!  :D But no really, it would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

Quote from: Gazongola on January 16, 2010, 02:11:46 AM
I personally shun training! I am fit enough to do them all! (Even if I am horribly out of shape). Give me some kendal mint cake and alot of tea and by jingo it shall be done!
I second that  ;)

Quote from: stockton_joans on January 16, 2010, 10:20:09 AM
p.s i love the idea of flags and on that note, has any one designed an official Brass Goggles flag, and if not, why not, we cant be a propper county, or invade others,  without a flag!
I shall test my GIMP skills by making a flag later tonight. (after seeing Sherlock Holmes at the cinema, if I go)

Gin.

ladyelsie

May I offer our (the Major and I) services to set up a period base camp, to offer hot tea and scones at the final peak. This way our intrepid explorers can rest and be fortified while the support team can celebrate their achievements, (party). This undertaking will need carefull planning and If I were a lot younger and fitter would grasp the opportunity with both hands. I am willing to do my bit . I shall attempt to knit cap comforters for the brave explorers! We on the home front support you. and brew tea!
Yours,
Lady Elsie.

zpyder

Bah humbug, I've just put a deposit down for a week in the lake district starting on the 17th of April, otherwise I could have joined you for that stint.

Did Scafell last year and it pretty much crippled me for a couple of days haha. Not sure whether it was the height, but rather the route we took was the one from Wasdale (I think thats right) up large stone steps. It seems that the steps really do a number on your knees both on the way up and even more so on the way down!

Part of me wants to advertise the fact that I am currently going to the lakes solo, and it's a 2 bedroom cottage I'm staying at and am looking for a walking partner(s) to share the cottage with and possibly fuel depending on location, though I guess spending a week with an absolute stranger isn't the best of ideas!

Honeythorn

Snowdon is the only one I would be able to get to....except I can't get there as I am unable to drive and know no one round here who would be willing to do so.

I presume this would involve various groups of steampunks in all three areas climbing their respective peak simutaneously ? As I see no way for one single group to actually do all three in 24 hours including travellling to and from each one. Espescially Ben Nevis. :o ???
<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·

Gin-Soaked

Quote from: Honeythorn on January 17, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
I see no way for one single group to actually do all three in 24 hours including travellling to and from each one. Espescially Ben Nevis. :o ???

Ahh well you see, that is all part of the challenge.

Quote from: Honeythorn on January 17, 2010, 07:46:53 PM
Snowdon is the only one I would be able to get to....except I can't get there as I am unable to drive and know no one round here who would be willing to do so.

Where are you based? I'm hoping we can all car share, and therefore allow those who can't drive to come along, and also split the cost of fuel.

Gin.

Honeythorn

No seriously it takes over 4-6 hours+ approximately to drive to Scotland ( unless you are in or very near Scotland of course ) , there is no concievable way you'd do that, and climb to the peak of Ben Nevis ( which many experienced climbers never manage to do let alone random steampunks with flasks of tea ) and then drive back again to do another peak, and then drive to wales to do another one. Not in any order, and not in 24 hours. Over a weekend yes it could work maybe.

That's not a challenge that's just impossible  ??? 

Three groups doing their respective peaks on the same day would work however, and be far more manageable for people to get to and carshare ect, depending on where they live. Each group could take pictures and/or film on the day, perhaps give a message to BG from the summit with their flags. Each group could also have their own flag with which to conquer a peak.

I'm near Brimingham by the way.

TimeTinker

I have done all three peaks in the past but never all three as a unit.  I do know people who have managed the full challenge though and the Armed Services have an annual race to do it and go by boat between country (and vehicle from coast to mountain).  It does actually require people to be prepared to run to the top of each peak not just walk/climb.

It is most definitely something I would not recommend without training.  I used to volunteer on a mountain rescue team and we spent more time pulling overconfident climbers off the hills than we did unprepared idiots.

As Lady Elsie said though we would be happy to be part of a support crew and have a large van in which three or so "climbers" could actually sleep between peaks.  

A word of advice - this is best done when daylight hours are long and weather likely to be good.  I would advise against trying in February and April may be a little keen.
[move]BE SPLENDID![/move]

zpyder

Surely without training you're looking at doing one peak and then maybe making it to the 2nd in the 24 hours? :D

When we did scafell it took us 6 hours on a route that was marked "easy" on the map. Mind you our excuse was my friend had badly sprained or strained his ankle a few weeks prior when jumping a river, and so we spent 2 hours getting up and 4 hours with him hopping down each individual step/stone!

Happy days haha!

Von Gast

What I will say is that if one core group wants to do all three (and be joined by others for individual peaks) then they will need to be organised.

You will need fast, comfortable vehicles as you need to complete the road sections in the shortest safe/legal time. Each vehicle should have two drivers whose sole purpose is to drive - while the climbers are aiming for the summit they will be sleeping and recharging for the next leg.

These mountains will quite cheerfully kill you, I would not recommend beginners try to do all three as tiredness could tip the balance. I know experienced hill walkers and I've done a fair bit of greenlaning so I'm not saying this without any understanding.

So, how about having a core group who do all three, but are accompanied by wellwishers on individual climbs? That way those who can reach Snowdon would be able to meet the climbers there, and so on.

TimeTinker

There are actually eleven road hours between the three peaks.  This leaves thirteen hours for the peak attempts.  At just over four hours per peak it is serious going and not an undertaking for the faint hearted.  We would be happy to help with organising the logistics etc.  Having a team at each peak to accompany the "challengers" is sensible and social but the challengers do need to be fit and healthy.

Honeythorn

If anyone willing to carshare is going from Birmingham to Snowdon just for the day, and not doing all three then I can go, and will happily contribute to tea/hot choc supplies and pay towards fuel.

Von Gast

Another suggestion (which may be obvious) - it needs to happen around the longest day of the year in order to do the greatest amount of climbing in daylight. The weather is also likely to be more co-operative then.

Bear in mind that the climbs are likely to be at unsociable hours - I should have considered that before suggesting that people could meet the core group for individual climbs.

TimeTinker

The longer road section is Fort William to Seathwaite at around 6 hours.  Attempting Ben Nevis on the evening of one night means that the night is taken up largely with driving and the walkers maximise daylight.  Starting around 4pm on a Saturday would make for a finish by 4pm on Sunday with the majority of walking in daylight.

This would mean that one group could be ready to go up Nevis on the Saturday evening, a second ready to attempt Sca Fell at dawn the following day and the last group at Snowdon for late morning on Sunday.  Not too unsociable that way.

You don't have to do the challenge in 24hours by the way.  Many do it in a weekend to make it easier.

Von Gast

Ahh - I thought the 24hr part was required in order for it to be a proper challenge attempt!