News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Calls for submissions

Started by Jemima Annabelle Clough, February 05, 2010, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jemima Annabelle Clough

And markets for steampunk writing.

If you have, or are aware of, an opportunity, please post it in this thread. Include all relevant information, but try to keep it brief! If there is a submission date, please mark that clearly
Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

Thalesia Turnblood

Carina Press:
Science fiction, fantasy, futuristic
Carina Press is keen to acquire manuscripts in this genre, both those that fall within the romance category and those that have only romantic elements or little to no romance. Under this genre, we are also very interested in space opera, steampunk, cyberpunk and other similar genres and subgenres.

Mundania Press:
Presently, we are actively looking for unpublished quality manuscripts in the genres of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, horror, and steampunk only.

Samhain Publishing:
Call for submissions -- Steampunk Romance Anthology
The novellas must range between 25,000 to 30,000 words in length, no more, no less.
Also, please be aware that, as a primarily romance publisher, we require all stories for this anthology to fit into the romance genre, complete with "happy ever after" or "happy for now" ending.
Submissions are open until April 30, 2010.

Lyrical Press:
Doesn't currently have a specific call for submissions, but they're releasing a Steampunk Erotic Romance anthology, which suggests they're open to Steampunk submissions.
Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write

Thalesia Turnblood

Agented markets, i.e. no unsolicited manuscripts:
TOR
Simon Pulse is looking for YA Steampunk.
Have Coffee, Will Write

dansedesirable

Quote from: Thalesia Turnblood on February 05, 2010, 01:58:40 PM
Lyrical Press:
Doesn't currently have a specific call for submissions, but they're releasing a Steampunk Erotic Romance anthology, which suggests they're open to Steampunk submissions.

Actually, a while back they posted a call for steampunk submissions on their Facebook page -- the call never appeared on the website, however. ^_^

Phaze has a call out for male-male and male-male-female steampunk romance/erotica. Deadline? "Open indefinitely until the spots are filled." (Originally, I mistyped it as "until all the slots are filled." Woops! Teehee.)

Thalesia Turnblood

Loose Id is looking for "uber hot Steampunk romance" according to an editor I know there. Submission guidelines here.
Have Coffee, Will Write

whistlelock

Just a word of caution here- if  you are new to sending out your written work to publishers, do some research. 

While 98% of publishers can be trusted, there are a few out there that cannot be.  There are some great resources that make researching a publisher very easy. 

Preditors & Editors  and Absolute Write's Bewares and Background .  Both great resources.  And, AW has a rather large writing forum for feedback, advice on writing, etc.
You can also find me on Twitter and Facebook.

dansedesirable

Hi there! I'm adding a magazine market to the list:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies is a free, professional e-zine that pays its writers a pro-rate ($0.05 US per word). Here is what they have to say about themselves:

Beneath Ceaseless Skies publishes "literary adventure fantasy": stories with a secondary-world setting and some traditional or classic fantasy feel, but written with a literary flair.

In addition to fantasy secondary-world settings, they consider steampunk and any other setting that does not have modern technology. (They also do not publish science-fiction, so I'm sure they mean no futuristic technology, either.)

Check out http://www.beneath-ceaseless-skies.com/page.php?p=submissions for more submission guidelines. It's a long, but thorough, page!

anno

Structo magazine currently have a call open for their forth issue (submission deadline 31st of March). The magazine publishes short fiction and poetry, and has a slight lean to the fantastic. At least two previously published authors have come from this very forum.

Thalesia Turnblood

LIMITED TIME FOR OPEN SUBMISSIONS

Juno Books is open to full submissions for a limited time! Read their blog and submissions page carefully! They're looking for Urban Fantasy and Steampunk.

Edit: The time for full submissions has passed, but Juno is always looking for great manuscripts, anyway. No agent representation needed as they have always been open to unsolicited ms's. Please read their submission guidelines for more information.
Have Coffee, Will Write

Thalesia Turnblood

Would like to reiterate that Carina Press is still looking for great Steampunk and Steampunk romance. I know the editor personally (she was my editor at a different house) and she is not kidding when she says she can't find enough good Steampunk, cyberpunk, space opera, and she's "Dying for space cowboy a la Firefly. And an action adventure. You know, cross between Tomb Raider, National Treasure and Allan Quartermain. Oh oh oh, and how could I forget a good technogeek spy romance!"

Straight from the managing editor's fingertips, y'all! Get writing!
Have Coffee, Will Write

neon_suntan

Yowsah!

Got to flex those writing muscles a.s.a.p!!

Thalesia Turnblood

Cross posted in the "Steampunk Erotica" thread. This call is For Adults Only.

Carnal Machines: Erotic Steampunk
Edited by D. L. King
To be published by Cleis Press
Deadline: June 1, 2010
Payment: $50 and 2 copies of the anthology

D. L. King is looking for your most erotic steampunk stories.

According to Wikipedia, "Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction and speculative fiction, frequently featuring elements of fantasy... The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy..." (Please see the Wikipedia entry, wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk for much more on the subject.)

But, in the mean time, think about what sort of fantastical inventions Jules Verne and H. G. Wells might have come up with if they were wholly consumed with thoughts of carnal pleasure—if they were like you—and wrote erotica. Transport yourself to an era, or alternate world, where corsets and lace-up ankle boots are in fashion, where clockwork toys are made for discerning adults and it's easy to fall down rabbit holes into other worlds. But remember the standard caveat: no underage, no incest, no animals and no violence for the sake of violence. As always, I'm relying on you to make me wet!

This anthology is primarily heterosexual, but I'll happily consider GLBT stories. Stories should be between 1,500 and 4,500 words, double-spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman or Courier New. Please indent the first line of each paragraph one-half inch and do not include extra lines between paragraphs. Story a little too long or too short? Query me. You may submit up to two stories.

Send your submission as a .doc or .rtf attachment (ABSOLUTELY NO .docx) and include the title, pseudonym (if applicable) and your legal name and mailing address to steamantho@gmail.com. Subject line should read: Submission: TITLE. Original stories only. If your story has been previously published, please include the title, date and publisher. You must own all rights to any reprints. Please include a 50-word bio and direct any questions to the above address.
Have Coffee, Will Write

Arlen

O.K. I'll see what I can knock up in the next few days as far as erotica and get in touch in a couple of moths when I have something more substantial as far as the book I've been working on.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't had anything published since a book of poetry a few years ago.
I need to get my writing gear in gear!

theMadTinker

Library of Science Fiction & Fantasy Press: Clockwork Chaos: A Steampunk Anthology

Also, Duotrope's Digest has steampunk listed as a subgenre of science fiction, meaning that you can search specifically for steampunk-friendly markets.
It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog

Thalesia Turnblood

Redstone Science Fiction
is looking for all kinds of science fiction stories, from space opera to cyber punk. Editors Michael Ray and Paul Clemons will consider stories from 750 to 4000 words. Payment is 5 cents a word. Check the guidelines for more information. 

They say they like 'near future' or space opera, but those can both fit into the SP wheelhouse from what I understand. Get submitting!
Have Coffee, Will Write

William Ichabod Dachary

In the "Just for fun" category, a chum of mine has set up an interactive fiction site - one of those "choose your own adventure" type things. Post your story background and first chapter, and see how other users take your writing. Also, a lovely forum. It's at www.unknowntales.net

Deus Ex Mortis

Quote from: William Ichabod Dachary on May 14, 2010, 11:25:11 AM
In the "Just for fun" category, a chum of mine has set up an interactive fiction site - one of those "choose your own adventure" type things. Post your story background and first chapter, and see how other users take your writing. Also, a lovely forum. It's at www.unknowntales.net

Hi. I am the chum to which William here is referring. Unknown Tales is a labor of love for me, one which I've been working on, in it's various forms, for the last 6 or so years. It's only now that I have something that I'm proud of to show for it.

I still need to do a lot of work on the site, including a major revamp of a lot of the interface and various usability aspects, but the core functionality is there, and waiting for submissions :)

If there is enough interest, I'd also love to add a Steampunk genre, one of the first stories in which, I hope, would be The Sinking of Dalysium.

Maj. Clive Hathaway

Hello all...

Haven't seen any news here in a bit... can i ask how much of the previously posted channels for submissions are still looking for SP submissions? I've completed a 4200 word short story i'd like to shop around. Really more interested in getting published and read than in getting paid, but getting paid always helps! Its a Steampunk tragic- romance story.
"Death is the last Great adventure."

Lurk the Good Lurk.

MechanicalMouse

Rather miffed I missed this thread the first time around. I had a few ideas bouncing around my head for a while. Time to get typing.

anno

Structo magazine will be reopening submissions in a couple of weeks it that's of any interest.

aliagee

Thank you for the short story submission options posted previously. I wanted to post the fruits of my own research-- literary agents interested in full-length steampunk manuscripts.

(All info from AgentQuery.com-- please go to their site or the agent's site directly for more info)

Evan Goldfried evan@grinbergliterary.com "Likes Steampunk, and women kicking butt..."

Sandy Lu submissions@lperkinsagency.com, lperkinsagency@yahoo.com "recently fallen in love with steampunk"

Amy Boggs aboggs@maassagency.com "She is looking for fantasy and science fiction, especially urban fantasy, paranormal romance, steampunk, YA/children's, and alternate history."

Good luck to all of us!

visit www.alia-gee.com if you want to see a little of what i've been working on.

Jemima Annabelle Clough

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire

BaronPablo

The Lovelace Collective, a collaborative media group founded by the San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, is now accepting anyone that would be interested in being involved with the creation and production of our upcoming e-magazine (The Lovelace Reader), podcasts, video blogs, short story compendiums, and the like dealing with Neo-Victoriana, with an emphasis on the Steampunk subculture. Send us an email at saneovic@gmail.com if you would like to get involved. Submissions for material and the like will also be accepted at this time!

Also, if you happen to have the skills to make us a webpage, do get in touch with us!
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

BaronPablo

Quote from: BaronPablo on September 28, 2010, 08:20:58 AM
The Lovelace Collective, a collaborative media group founded by the San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, is now accepting anyone that would be interested in being involved with the creation and production of our upcoming e-magazine (The Lovelace Reader), podcasts, video blogs, short story compendiums, and the like dealing with Neo-Victoriana, with an emphasis on the Steampunk subculture. Send us an email at saneovic@gmail.com if you would like to get involved. Submissions for material and the like will also be accepted at this time!

Also, if you happen to have the skills to make us a webpage, do get in touch with us!

The website of the Lovelace Reader is now up and running!

The Lovelace Reader

Also, we've received some submissions and conducted an interview, but we're still looking for more! The deadline is November 24th, so don't be afraid to submit today!
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

Ottens

The Gatehouse Gazette is always looking for new contributors. Our magazine is available for download free so we can't afford to pay authors. If you're interested nonetheless, have a look at our website which include links to previous editions or contact me at n [dot] ottens [at] gmail [dot] com.
NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Steampunk, dieselpunk, retro-futurism and alternate history.