News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

The Society of Air Travellers

Started by theairman, April 13, 2010, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theairman

My dear Flying fellows and Ladies,
                                             If you adore the thrill of soaring high above the clouds, journeying into the unknown with nothing but the sun and stars for guidance, then this is the club for you! We admit all sorts, be they Air Pirates, Privateers, Merchants or Adventurers! Take a seat at the bar, or sit in the library- filled with the latest flying journals and publications- or simply sit and converse with fellow Sky Wanderers. Whatever your profession, whatever your background, the Society of Air Travellers will accept you graciously and with joy!
mostserindipitous.tumblr.com

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection finish him."
John Locke (1632-1704)

Sebastian Greyfield

While the arrival of a second sky-roamer seems rather late at this point, I feel compelled to reply to your call anyway.

Presenting myself, Sebastian Greyfield - air nomad, cloud chaser and general rover of the blue yonder at your service.

I do hope you don't mind my presence.

CorneliaCarton

Captain Cornelia Carton of the H.M.S Isabella, at your service good sir. *bows*
Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.

Sebastian Greyfield

And may I add a nice round of huzzah as another joins our ranks!

DreamHazard

Sir Alexander Davenport, Captain of the airship The Wandering Scotsman, glad to join the elite!

Carving a wake across the clouds of the world, we need not sea nor land, simply a ship and a steeled heart!

Gentlemen! Ladies! WE ARE THE CAPTAINS OF THE SKY!

BronzeGiant

As fond of airships and the like as I am I feel compelled to join this illustrious group.
It's better to be Savage than Super.

CorneliaCarton

Quote from: DreamHazard on May 09, 2010, 11:06:16 PM
Sir Alexander Davenport, Captain of the airship The Wandering Scotsman, glad to join the elite!

Carving a wake across the clouds of the world, we need not sea nor land, simply a ship and a steeled heart!

Gentlemen! Ladies! WE ARE THE CAPTAINS OF THE SKY!

Hip! Hip! Huzzah!
Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.

theairman

Ah jolly good, some company at last! Has anyone any stories they wish to tell of their travels in the air perhaps?

*Passes out gin* This should help!

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection finish him."
John Locke (1632-1704)

theairman

However, having just read the "Meta-Club" rules, perhaps we should avoid roleplay? I'll pass the decision onto you fine fellows and lasses!

John Locke (1632-1704)

Sebastian Greyfield

Well the lonely gear seems to survive ok with a little roleplay

theairman

What say you we mix a little bit of roleplay with discussion about air travel then?

John Locke (1632-1704)

DreamHazard

It seems that this club would not really exist without something of a little roleplay...

What I'd like to know is, what's everyone flying these days?

theairman

Well personally I'm flying a fairly small airship. All it is is my cabin and a small balloon attached. Very simple and cosy, the only problem is, there's very little space to cook. I'm thinking of purchasing a *at this point he smiles dreamily* nice big zeppelin. The kind the Germans are making! What about you DreamHazard?

John Locke (1632-1704)

DreamHazard

Unfortunately my ship is being repaired at this present moment, but I do have the blueprints, and have attached a copy of the most revealing image from them for your scrutiny

Spoiler: ShowHide

And yes, the figurehead is Nessie.

it has 2 engines, one for the elevatory rotors, and one for the propulsion rotors, the fin on the bottom is for stability, and the wings on the side provide steering. Cabins and such are not present on this diagram as it was drawn up during the design phase of her creation, so I didn't know where they would be placed

Sebastian Greyfield

I fly a sloop that, rather than sails, is carried by a huge balloon.  Propulsion is provided by a twin steam engine.  I have the designs for it somewhere . . . or did i leave them in the hold . . . I'll get back to you on the designs.

SolarCenturion

I've simply attached a whole lot of helium balloons to my house and freed the bottom level from the foundation.  You see, my wife and I had this dream of traveling to this far away land and well, since she passed on...

oh wait...

that's Ed Asner...

nevermind
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

theairman

Quote from: SolarCenturion on August 03, 2010, 12:47:13 AM

oh wait...

that's Ed Asner...

nevermind

Haha!

Does anyone else have blueprints/sketches of their airships?

John Locke (1632-1704)

sadishappyfordeeppeople

permission to come aboard?

i sketched an airship (my first airship sketch ever) and would like to fly it someday.  i'll scan and post it.
(salutes)
Sad is happy for deep people - Sally Sparrow (somewhat abbreviated) from Doctor Who

Sebastian Greyfield

I am currently working on a sketch of my vessel, and once completed it shall be posted here for you all to wonder why I bothered picking up a pencil xD

SolarCenturion

well, I have done a quick computational graphic sketch of my vessel.  Forgive the raw nature of the lines, I encountered some turbulance as I was drawing

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

sadishappyfordeeppeople

rock on
nice.
i still have to post mine.  sorry I'm a lazy a-- but working some stuff for acting class...
Sad is happy for deep people - Sally Sparrow (somewhat abbreviated) from Doctor Who

sadishappyfordeeppeople

okay let's see if these work... i just sketch for fun, but there is something way cooler when looking at the actual sheet of paper and the digitized version. 

theairman

Great drawings SIHFDP (do you mind if I abbreviate?!), really like the middle one.

John Locke (1632-1704)

Little_Red

Requesting permission to join the Society!

Miss Coral "Little Red" Morgan at your service.  Mercenary, scallywag and ex-RNAS airship woman (don't ask.)

I currently don't actually have an airship, but I'm thinking of investing in one of those sweet little pedal-powered french things - hydrogen ballon over an open gondola.  Plans to follow as soon as I've finalised them.

Sadishappyfordeeppeople, I love your work!  Especially the top one, that is an aiship to be envied :)

sadishappyfordeeppeople

thanks ya'all. 
and ya you can abbreviate my name.  lol.