News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The "How Was Your Day" Thread II

Started by The Kernel, May 26, 2010, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kernel

Sir Nikolas Vendigroth
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Caffienated Moderator and Thread Shredder

Re: The "How Was Your Day" Thread
« Reply #5120 on: Today at 09:24:35 PM »

Please read and understand all of this post:

This thread has been locked on the basis of its size and will be deleted automatically after 90 days.

This applies to all threads over 100 pages.

I'd like to make it clear that you are welcome to open a new thread on the same topic in order to continue discussion. We suggest naming the new thread in a similar manner in order to prevent unnecessary confusion.

Thank-you for taking the time to read this.

Bearing in mind the storage/bandwidth issues, this is a very sensible and pragmatic response.

Therefore (and with all due respect to Clockwerkman who started the original) may I politely continue the thread in a new guise?

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

You certainly may  ;D

As for my day, I closed 3 threads and banned 2 spammers before they had the chance to make a mess of the place.  :)

Edit: Make that 3 threads closed, 2 spammers banned before they could do anything, another banned, his single post deleted and a thread moved.

Dorian Ambrose

Today was pretty good. Mostly just work. But with a nice surprise.

The temp agency had told me that I had to work on monday, but since that was a holiday, I arrived at an empty building. Today I learned that since they had send me there by mistake, they have to pay me for 4 hours of work. So that is £100 for doing nothing  ;D

The Kernel

Today has been good, finished early after a successful day at work, and returned home to discover SWMBO had bought me the pair of 24" bolt croppers I had been dreaming about as a gift (I suspect she may have a guilt conscience about something) :) :)

helios

Woke up on time for the first time in two or so weeks. Went to a tutorial for Anthropology. Now considering whether or not to go to my Philosophy tutorial in an hour.

Really, I just want to go back to bed.
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

phang

Got to work late. Makes the third time this week in as many days. Sometimes It's good to be the boss. :)

Afternoon spent back in the yard fighting with the mess I made taking on a project much larger than I anticipated.
Anyone in the Central PA area have a truck? I'll trade branch hauling services for a burger. Grill/party is this weekend.

Got the A/C unit in the bedroom just in time for the temperature to plummet. And I'll be getting a second for the girls room this Monday to guarantee that we will be on the verge of the next ice age.

Logged into BG only to find that half of the threads I follow are now locked. Not a real shock since I've been following the discussion in the Engine Room but it was late and now I have to hunt down all the new versions.

IS IT THE WEEKEND YET?!
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

phang

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on May 26, 2010, 09:36:09 PM
Today was pretty good. Mostly just work. But with a nice surprise.

The temp agency had told me that I had to work on monday, but since that was a holiday, I arrived at an empty building. Today I learned that since they had send me there by mistake, they have to pay me for 4 hours of work. So that is £100 for doing nothing  ;D

Wait... 100 pounds for 4 hours = 25 pounds/hour. Rough translation is $50/hour. Approx $100K year!!

What temp agency pays that kind of money? I must really be in the wrong line of work. I know doctors that don't have that kind of income.

So? Where is everyone?

Wilhelmina Frame

Got some progress done on my latest sewing project. Met up with a university friend of the man's. He's always entertaining if a little manic.
Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society

Dorian Ambrose

Quote from: phang on May 27, 2010, 04:41:41 AM

Wait... 100 pounds for 4 hours = 25 pounds/hour. Rough translation is $50/hour. Approx $100K year!!

What temp agency pays that kind of money? I must really be in the wrong line of work. I know doctors that don't have that kind of income.

£100 was a rough conversion. It was more like £103.
On a normal day, I make about £19/hour, but due to the fact that it was a holiday, there was extra compensation. Had I actually done any work that day the rate would have been more like £30/hour, but since it was a mistake, they only have to pay me the bare minimum.

The law is pretty simple here. As a temp I get the same pay as any employee in the company, doing the same work. In Denmark, temps are not cheap labour.

Llrael

Well, it's almost 11am and I haven't done anything productive yet. But I'm not overly concerned. I have, however, bought delicious baked goods and discovered a Python script for making any song swung. It's awesome. Now I just need to work out how to run it and I will be swingifying my library!
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

phang

Quote from: Dorian Ambrose on May 27, 2010, 09:01:15 AM
Quote from: phang on May 27, 2010, 04:41:41 AM

£100 was a rough conversion. It was more like £103.
On a normal day, I make about £19/hour, but due to the fact that it was a holiday, there was extra compensation. Had I actually done any work that day the rate would have been more like £30/hour, but since it was a mistake, they only have to pay me the bare minimum.

The law is pretty simple here. As a temp I get the same pay as any employee in the company, doing the same work. In Denmark, temps are not cheap labour.

I guess it is time to pack my bags and head to Denmark...

I am up and functional which is a huge surprise considering I'm working on maybe 3 hours of sleep.

Last day before my 4 day weekend.

So? Where is everyone?

RoseOak

Quite good.

Went into town with my sister to the local antiques/collector market and if I'd had the spare money I coud have got all my vintage lace for my circus doll skirt for under £20 but I need to save up so its gonna be a scrap project. I did however get a pencil sharpener in the shape of a vctorian telephone (I couldn't resist), and a harp brooch and two harp mil'try brass buttons for Abbie.

I also stopped in the only alt store in town that mostly caters for goths and got chatting to the manager and he's going to try and start stocking steampunk stuff like  real size top hats and small lace parasols. They did however have a small cabinet full of steampunk ray gun ornaments which wasn't there last time I went. I came out with a grin and some hair dye in a sort of gold/brass that was on sale for £1.00

James Harrison

I spent the day as I spend every other day- trying to take over the world beavering away in an architect's office.  But as I have all next week off and tomorrow too I broke up for a holiday  :)
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

The Governess

finished a very long day at the end of a very long week...

I work compressed hours,so I work five days worth of hours over four days; but this week I'd finished my conditioned hours before lunch time today, although I didn't leave until 5.30. We're incredibly busy at present (and in fact all this year so far...)

So now I'm enjoying the start of a four day weekend with wine, Supernatural, V, and Farscape.

CRIMSON CLOCKS
Crimson in tooth and claw, we disdain (pah!) all attempts to neatly categorise us.
Lugubrious lyrics sung sadistically over trouser trembling bass beats and relentless drums in the deep, all washed down with lashings of vivacious violin and orpheic oboe...
The Crimson Hour is close at hand
www.facebook.com/CrimsonClocks
www.CrimsonClocks.com
http://crimsonclocks.blogspot.co.uk

RoseOak

Oh and I found a corset that I forgot I had bought
Spoiler: ShowHide

Sir A Poiselamppe

Packing.... Camping is supposed to be a lightweight...... no?

In my case No.....

Dorian Ambrose

Today was good.

Went to the marked this morning, to hunt for brass bits. Unfortunately half of it was closed for restoration, so I didn't get all the things I needed.
After that, I was of to a 50th birthday party. In Denmark parties work like this:
#1: Arrive. #2: Meet'n'greet. #3: Sit. #4-#88: Eat.
In other words, I have spend the last 5 hours with a fork in my hand.

I just got in the door, checked my email and now it's time for a cup of tea and a sandwich  :)

RoseOak

Woke up to find friends delivering a bbq  ??? had tea and toast whilst glowering at the weather (perambulating it down) and did some embroidery. Decided I didn't like the design so threw it out and decded ot sort my clothes out instead. My new system is as follows

3 chests of drawers- sorted into following system
------------------------------------------------
Catagory 1:- 1 CoD -House/casual

Sub cat1:- 2 drawers h/c
Sub cat2:- 1 drawer nightwear and lingerie
-------------------------------------------
Catagory2:-2 CoD - Steampunk

Cat 1: bottoms
sub cat1: - 1 drawer:  trousers
sub cat2: -2 drawer: skirts and dresses

Cat 2: tops
sub cat1:-1 drawer: cream and white tops
sub cat2 :-1drawers: black and grey tops
Sub cat3:- 3 drawers: coloured tops.
This system will remain in place for approx 3-5 days untill I have a mad rush to find something and end up tipping it all out onto the floor only to find what I was looking for in the linen basket.

tomahawk275

Pretty Good though I accidentally cut myself while filleting a fish ;D

Capt. Morion

Last night/ this morning attended a party at a club that's decorated like a spaceship, complete with massive touchscreen gaming table, circuit boards on the walls, and stripped airline seats. Got to see a bunch of cybergoths and rivetheads bellydancing to an interesting (but awesome) mix of traditional Indian music and industrial techno. Good fun.

Got up late today only to find that it's raining, putting a big damper on my plans to go check out two Sunday fleamarkets that supposedly have a strong showing of local designers. I'm still gonna go but I can't say I have high hopes for the turnout. If they turn out to be not good due to weather I'll go find a museum to hide in for the rest of the afternoon.

Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow, it would be sad for it to be cold and rainy on my birthday :(
The bad guys always have the best tailors

Llrael

Quote from: RoseOak on May 29, 2010, 10:32:00 PM
Woke up to find friends delivering a bbq  ??? had tea and toast whilst glowering at the weather (perambulating it down) and did some embroidery. Decided I didn't like the design so threw it out and decded ot sort my clothes out instead. My new system is as follows

3 chests of drawers- sorted into following system
Catagory 1:- 1 CoD -House/casual

Sub cat1:- 2 drawers h/c
Sub cat2:- 1 drawer nightwear and lingerie
-------------------------------------------
Catagory2:-2 CoD - Steampunk

Cat 1: bottoms
sub cat1: - 1 drawer:  trousers
sub cat2: -2 drawer: skirts and dresses

Cat 2: tops
sub cat1:-1 drawer: cream and white tops
sub cat2 :-1drawers: black and grey tops
Sub cat3:- 3 drawers: coloured tops.
This system will remain in place for approx 3-5 days untill I have a mad rush to find something and end up tipping it all out onto the floor only to find what I was looking for in the linen basket.

I wholeheartedly approve of this system, and wish I had enough clothes storage space to implement something similar. Alas.

On Saturday my friend and I trolled off to London Expo. Excellent show all round, spent lots of money (including purchasing two My Little Ponies and a clone trooper at the same time, which garnered a few odd looks), and returned home to find that my college had done splendidly in rowing, with at least one new set of blades to hang on the boathouse walls.
Yesterday was less fun - struggled with calculus for most of it.
It is now 10:50am and I have yet to do anything useful. Today's task is Probability revision, which is desperately uninteresting.
"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."

The Kernel

Yesterday was satisfying (after Saturday's washout when I had a list out dry-weather outdoor jobs to do)
Started with a bacon sandwich, followed by pressure washing the paths etc around my house, fitting cargo nets inside the security cubby box in my Land-Rover (required drilling through 2mm sheet steel to fit the mountings), re-locating the fire extinguisher in the above vehicle followed by a barbeque with my exam stressing eldest.
Today (bank-holiday) - successful so far - tested the "waterproof" claim on my new binoculars and the effectiveness of the "floatation strap" by dropping them in a sink full of water - fortunately a pass on both accounts :)
Barbeque later (but I will need to be wrapped up warm, currently 10 oC)

RoseOak

QuoteI wholeheartedly approve of this system, and wish I had enough clothes storage space to implement something similar. Alas.

Well my room is 10x 12 and considering I downsized from 20 x 15 it can be done.

James Harrison

Yesterday was a good day.  I climbed 3561 feet of Welsh mountain.
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Mechanic

Quote from: James Harrison on May 31, 2010, 04:28:09 PM
Yesterday was a good day.  I climbed 3561 feet of Welsh mountain.

How much is it per foot and do they ship to the colonies?

We had a great weekend in our new trailer http://victorianboler.blogspot.com/ but now I'm sitting at work waiting to get home and do more work on her.
Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.