News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Pruning policy for Trading

Started by proteus, May 27, 2010, 09:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should old Trading posts be deleted?

Yes, topics over 1 year old
0 (0%)
Yes, topics over 90 days old
5 (83.3%)
Yes, topics over 30 days old
1 (16.7%)
Yes, other timeline (post a comment!)
0 (0%)
No, never
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: June 06, 2010, 09:28:53 PM

proteus

Because we are a large and active forum, we have a lot of topics. The more topics we have, the more work the site software has to do to keep track of them, search them, report new comments in them, etc.

For this reason, we currently prune Off-Topic and Engine Room topics that are not sticky, and in which no one has commented for a number of days (currently 90, will be 30 days shortly).

Trading has been identified as another board where the historical/archival value of the posts is minimal; it is therefore a candidate for similar pruning.  Please indicate whether you'd support pruning the board, and how often.

The proposal is to prune *all* topics in Trading -- not just "inactive" topics some number of days after they are created. Sticky topics will be excluded.

The results of this poll will be shared and considered carefully; however, the poll outcome is only one of several factors that will lead to the final decision.  If a decision must be made that is in conflict with poll results, I will post a detailed explanation of the reasons.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

jringling

Quote from: proteus on May 27, 2010, 09:28:53 PM
The proposal is to prune *all* topics in Trading -- not just "inactive" topics some number of days after they are created. Sticky topics will be excluded.

I think 90 days is fine as long as the mods are liberal with the application of "sticky"... Lists of suppliers, etsy shops, or non-"for sale" topics can have long term value...

proteus

If there's a fair bit of non-sale items for preservation, it might make more sense to create a sub-board into which such topics can be moved; similar to the Off-Topic Historical Society.

Perhaps a "Trading Directory" of some sort?
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

jringling

A sub board does sound like a good idea... I will offer my time to comb through if needed...

Captain Shipton Bellinger

My Dear Proteus,

Quote from: proteus on May 27, 2010, 09:28:53 PM

The results of this poll will be shared and considered carefully; however, the poll outcome is only one of several factors that will lead to the final decision.  If a decision must be made that is in conflict with poll results, I will post a detailed explanation of the reasons.

Was a decision ever reached? IF so, what was it?

Also, may I enquire after the criteria applied for the removal of the trading thread http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24942.0/topicseen.html?

It would not appear to have met either the 90- or 30-day limit, but has vanished into the æther.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

proteus

The policy was not put into place yet. I don't know about the thread in question; it's entirely gone, not just moved or some such. Perhaps a PM to Sprocket and HAC?
--

HAC

Quote from: proteus on July 08, 2010, 05:13:00 PM
The policy was not put into place yet. I don't know about the thread in question; it's entirely gone, not just moved or some such. Perhaps a PM to Sprocket and HAC?
No clue, either... I have nothing in PM or files on anything to do with that thread being reported ..

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

darkshines

Can I make a suggestion for the Trading forum? Sometimes it isn't clear whether someone wants something, is selling something or whatever, thread called "pocket watches" tells me nothing.

How about we code the threads?

FS= For sale
FT= For trade (swaps)
FF= For free
W= Wanted
S= Spotted (adverts for things other than your own)
C= Competition

Does that make sense?
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

architect

yes you can look at the trading on therpf.com. their section is called the junkyard. they actually have a drop down with those things in them. and you can sort the stuff on the board by it too.

proteus

I like the idea. Implementing dropdowns is a bit time-consuming, but if anyone can find an SMF mod that will do it, I will consider it.

In the meanwhile, doing this by convention is a great idea!
--

darkshines

I would quite happily go through every single open thread in Trading and alter the title for you. It would take me a couple of hours, maybe less. I'll even put DONE in trades/sales/events that are no longer valid (the item was sold/the event has taken place).
Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart

Major Willoughby Chase

Indeed, I too would be happy to help, just take any powers away afterwards.  I generally prefix my sales with [FS] for For Sale and alter to [Sold] once they're gone.  Failing that, child boards, one each for Wanted & For Sale Tactile, Wanted/For Sale Aural Occular, Wanted/For Sale Anatomical etc?