News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (mk. II)

Started by proteus, May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

proteus

If you're new to Brass Goggles, introduce yourself here!

The old introduce yourself thread got rather unweildy -- it's been moved to the Historical Society for preservation, so feel free to look through previous introductions there.
--
"Politics and religion are just like software and hardware. They all suck, the documentation is provably incorrect, and all the vendors tell lies." — Andrew Dalgleish

How To Financially Support Brass Goggles — now with a subscription option!

themaninwhite

Hello all Steampunk fans!

I'm Alex, I'm 20, and I come from the town of Chesterfield, Derbyshire, in the UK. I have been looking around this forum for a while, and I've noticed that some of the UK members of this forum were planning a meet there.

But anyway, on to other news.

I'm not a steampunk myself, but I quietly approve of the idea of 'going back in time' to an age where chivalry and technology worked hand in hand. I mainly registered here to carry out research on the steampunk lifestyle, so I'm saying sorry in advance if I appear to be skeptical.

If I could wear Steampunk stuff (if I wasn't scared enough), I would dress as a proper gentleman, with short shoes or boots, brown trousers, an Indiana Jones style hat, a white linen shirt (linen's been used as clothing for a long time, I think) and either a brown cloak or a rugged brown coat - concealing twin holsters with pistols - or a rifle holster over my back.

As for weapons, I have a few water pistols, a water rifle (that I bought during a holiday in Spain) and other bits and pieces in my garden shed - but I lack confidence in trying to modify them, especially as I'm worried that if my sister or other young people found out, I would become a laughing stock.

Anyway, I like Steampunk weapons a lot, especially some of the insane projectile weapons, like the revolvers, pistols and rifles.

Some of my other interests:

Formula One and Le Mans

Classic cars from the 1960s and beyond

World Rally Championship and IRC

Anything with high technology (including alternative power systems like hydrogen)

Racing and shooting computer games

Story writing

Top Gear (notice 'The Man In White - i.e. The Stig' reference  :))

Anyway, hopefully I haven't scared anyone, and if anyone wants to talk to me via MSN, just ask for my e-mail address, and I'll send it to you via a PM.

Platinum Sky

My names Jonathan, age 22. I live in Medford Oregon. I've always thought clockwork looked interesting and I appreciate steam punk style novels and anime.

I'm planning on making a casual steampunk outfit and a dressy, dapper, gentlemanly outfit(complete with top hat and a possibly a monocle -_Q ) and i would like to incorporate parts of these into my everyday wear

I love the Clockwork Quartet and The Cog is Dead as steam-punky bands.

jesuisbienseule

Greetings! I'm Mary. I'm 21 and I live in south London.

I've only started to become aware of steampunk as a movement and community in the past year or so, but I've always loved historical clothing and am well known among my friends for showing up in a corset at anything that could be construed as a formal event. I was properly introduced to it by a friend of mine in California, and was delighted to find so active a community in the UK. I was at MCM Expo in London this weekend and got to go to a wonderful panel and see some incredible costumes!

I really enjoy the elements of design involved in steampunk, as I'm a huge fan of crafting. I also love steampunk literature of any kind. If I could afford to (and it wouldn't get me fired!) I would probably spend my entire life in some kind of historical or vintage clothing.

In general terms, I am definitely a geek. I'm a huge sci-fi fan - the X-Files being my favourite show - and I read as much fantasy and sci-fi as I can get my hands on. The Lord of the Rings is the reason I will one day visit New Zealand, and probably never come back. I have recently discovered the world of comic books; much to the detriment of my bank balance.

I'm really interested in astronomy (my practice of which has been strongly curtailed by a move to the big city) and really love science and math. XKCD is one of my favourite things on the internet.

My outdoorsiness has also taken a hit since I moved to London, but I love hiking and walking and adore camping. I go climbing as often as I can; lots of great climbing centres here! I will be going to Wimbledon this year because I am a tennis nerd.

I worked as a stage manager and event manager for almost 3 years and am trying to get back into theatre in London.

Hmmm... slightly confusing trying to put oneself in a nutshell!

AetherExplorer

Hello,

I am new here, been lurking for about a month. I look forward meeting you.
I go by Geoffrey Mandragora, sometimes refered to as "dino-goth" (I was very goth in the 1980's).  I am a recovering medievel re-enactor, has-been sword fighter, and incorrigible tinkerer.
Professor Mandragora, Gentleman Adventurer

ZaanKabal

Hello, let me introduce myself.

My name is Stuart and I'm 24, currently residing in a small village between Stirling and Glasgow. I have been lurking on this forum on and off for longer than should be considered sane. I have been interested in steampunk for a good while but have finaly kicked myself into saying hello. I'm particulary fond of the the crafting and modding element of steampunk, which is something I enjoy doing given I studied modelmaking at college a few years ago. I'm basicly a big geek, into sci-fi shows and progressive rock, and smashing stuff to bits with hammers, among other things... I can't think of much else to say save I look forward to being a member of brassgoggles.

Kiltar

Hello everyone,

My name is Kiltar (though I'll also answer to Kathy in more mundane situations).

I am a wife of 9 years to a long-suffering husband, mother to a rambunctious 6-year old son and recent immigrant from sunny Sydney, Australia to North Wales. I work full time in the Fire & Security sector and have a passion for history (especially the 18th & 19th centuries).

I've been a romantic/Victorian goth for more years that I care to divulge (quite a challenge in the humid summers of Sydney let me tell you!) and have been drawn to the asthetic and social aspects of the Steampunk sub-culture in recent times. I found this delightful site via a chance meeting with one of the members (Ezra Hogbin - thank you again for the suggestion I come and have a look-see!) at a work-related training session today.

I plan to sit down over the coming weekend (if I get a chance) and read through all the interesting looking posts on here. I am not a prolific poster on forums generally but I can already tell that I'll be in here lurking quite a bit in the near future!

Anyway I'll finish here and I look forward to getting to know you all!

K

Ezra Hogbin

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Josh

Hello. My name is Josh. I do not know much about Steam-punk. Truthfully I have developed a curiosity about it only within the last month and have decided to see if I could find a forum and learn more from real people.

Alceste

HI, I'm Alceste, and I joined honestly to try to break into this amazing group of people. Nice to know ya all.
Vini, vidi, terebri et laevi

TheLastGreyMask

Howdy, I'm Grey
I've been kinda lurkin for awhile made this account, then never really posted, then got a new computer and kinda forgot about the site for awhile, but then I got back into steam punk, cause I felt like drawing something different from my usual stuff.
I hail from the Americas, up in New York, not the city.
Now to really describe me, well I am Artistic, Geeky, Stoner, Metal Head.
Right now, I am barely getting through my last year of high school, Curse my none art related classes.
and I don't really know what else to say for now. 

Tonch

Hiya, I'm Tonch. I come from the New England area of the US.

I like the style of steampunk in film/animation and things like that-- it's just plain cool-- but I don't actually know a whole lot about the particulars. I've wanted to use a steampunk-like setting in an idea for an animated cartoon of mine, so I decided  I should do some research first-hand and go on a steampunk kick. So hopefully I'll learn things I can use.

I've looked around the main blog here briefly on a number of occasions and liked what I saw, so I'm sure this will be a fun old time if I have time to stick around much.

steamtastic

What type of animation do you do? From the style of your drawings I assume you use Flash?
Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake

Tonch

Quote from: steamtastic on June 10, 2010, 06:25:05 PM
What type of animation do you do? From the style of your drawings I assume you use Flash?
Right you are-- I love using Flash (and seem to be in the minority at my school, where I probably know Flash better than most of the instructors there).
If anyone's curious, my avatar and signature combo are drawings of a cartoon version of me in the style of Miles Edgeworth from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney.
(I figure avatars are supposed to represent yourself, but drawing only myself is boring.) It was originally for fun, a part of a matching set I also made for a friend of mine, who posed as Phoenix Wright in their avatar.

Ziff

Well, I'm new to steampunk. It started with my love of goggles, and that led to the finding of steampunk, and that led to me realizing my favorite form of time period per say is the steampunk time. So here I am, getting a suit all up and ready soon, will try and improve it frequently, and I hope I get to learn some cool stuff here.

GrimInventor

Hey everyone, I usually go by Grim so you can call me that ^_^. I am wanting to really get into the growing steampunk environment. I'm going to go to school so I can create steampunk things that deal with metal and possible jewels. So I thought I would join a forum to be around other fans of steampunk and possibly other inventors. Hopefully we can work together to spread out steampunk knowledge!

-Grim Inventor
Future Inventor

*Wearing a top hat, dark suit and slacks and trimmed chops. 6'0 and a burly voice and a kind hearted smile.*

PROFIC

Hello ladies and gentlemen.

P.R.O.F.I.C (The Professors' Rayguns and Other Finest Items) is a Spanish based Steampunk Workshop run and owned by Professor Torsten Von Brokenheimer and Professor Frederick Klauss. We are very happy and excited in joining this excellent community. We hope our creations rise to the standard of all we have seen up to now.

See you soon!

XroroX

Hello Everyone..My names Róisín..19 years old..I am new to all of this and dont quite understand it yet but im still really interested and would love to learn more :) Registered on this site to learn more about Steampunk and to also make a few friends along the way.. Well i guess thats all i have to say for now..Im not great at introductions..kept it short and sweet..

Roisin
x

CorneliaCarton

Quote from: XroroX on June 11, 2010, 11:01:29 PM
Hello Everyone..My names Róisín..19 years old..I am new to all of this and dont quite understand it yet but im still really interested and would love to learn more :) Registered on this site to learn more about Steampunk and to also make a few friends along the way.. Well i guess thats all i have to say for now..Im not great at introductions..kept it short and sweet..

Roisin
x

Hey Roisin!
Glad to see you finally figured out how this place works, hehe.
Let me be the first to welcome you to The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles.
The ladies and gentlemen here are usually willing to help out (more than I ever could, hehe) with your queries about Steampunk.
Enjoy your stay here, and if you need any help, give me a bell on MSN ^^

-Cornelia
Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.

Drouillard

Eureka!  Found it!

Good evening all,

I have followed a natural progression from Ren Fairs and kilts over to the home (as my wife calls it) of fantastic hats.

Thought just finding Steampunk I have been a fan of the lighter forms of the genre.  Love Jules Verne, Poe, and (major) HP Lovecraft among others.  Biggest intro has been through the Ren forums and the book Steamed. 

I am a techie, a hobbyist knife maker, and dedicated home cook specializing in pastry and confections.  The more exotic the flavor the more I am willing to try it.  Right now the most popular lines are cocktail, chilli (steam power?), tea and coffee cocktails.

My wife (Amy) and I will start creating our outfits slowly around our ren gear.  She already has two hats one finished and one raw that she will build around.

Jim
I cook with a flair for the dramatic,
and depraved indifference to calories

Ruth Belle

Took me a while to find this thread, haha.

Hellooo! I'm from Arizona but was raised by a bunch of Texans, so I'm partial to a Southern Belle character. And my name is Ruth Bell(e), so there's that. I'm 15 years old but sooo very interested in steampunk. I always have been in a way but found out last year about the whole culture. I've mostly just read articles, listened to music, drowned myself in Verne and such, and goggled the petticoats and laced boots. Recently, I found out about the Wild Wild West Con in Tucson am I am ECSTATIC. This is something I've unknowingly been waiting for my whole life. ;) Because of this, I decided to pursue my love of steampunk.

But, I am such a beginner. I don't know names of pieces of clothing, I'm not sure of the dos and don'ts, and gadgets just CONFUSE THE HECK OUTTA ME. Steampunk makes me warm inside and makes me feel SO creative and expressive, but I do have a few concerns, such as if my age will affect how well I can get along with others here. I'd appreciate help, so I guess I'll have to go find where I can just bother everyone with my constant curiousity, haha. I want to experience every nook of steampunk and communities like this are so helpful with things like that, youknow?

Babble, babble, blah, blah, blah. Please pardon me and direct me correctly if I make mistakes. Obviously I'm new to this AND I haven't participated in an online community in a while. (Hopefully I'll be able to be part of the community next year too.) I'm so excited, not going to lie. C:

~ Ruth Belle

jesuisbienseule

Woah, I go away for a week and there's a sudden influx of new members... what are you trying to tell me? :p

Hello everyone!

Ada Eva Packer

Hello all~

The (real) name is Rachel but please don't call me that.
I live in Texas, USA. I'm 17 and in Aug. I'll be 18.
I've always had an interest in Victorian/neo-Victorian styles since I was young but only more recently did I find out about Steampunk.

That being said, I'm jobless, my parents are strict... and it took them forever for me to convince them to let my Nanny (moms mom) to make me a costume for a few Anime Conventions.
So really, I don't get to dress up like I want too... not even in my corset anymore because now it's too big.
However one day I vow to get a costume.

I'm mostly a loner, I really take after my Dad, I love the color Gray, I have a fairly conservative nature, I'm an Anime-addict, I've been declared mentally insane by most people I meet.
I enjoy messing with people either just to do it, just because I can, or because I wanna see how they react.
I consider myself more an observer than anything.
I'm actually quite good at giving advice to people because of my observing and problem-solving skills.

I also have a tenancy to reiterate and ramble a lot, so I apologize in advance. I'm stubborn, strong willed, and basically that really smart and intelligent lazy person who keeps to herself most of the time.

I also write and draw. Though I'm a horrible writer and really only do it for fun. And I can really only draw women... *limited*
History and Science are my two favorite subjects and I happen to excel in both (at least when I feel like it).

And that's it.

AlegrahEredschtadt

I suppose I'll introduce myself properly.

I'll answer to Sara, the real name, or Alegrah just fine. :D
I'm a highschool junior this fall, but young for my grade. Let y'all figure out. :P I'm from Florida.
I've been interested in steampunk for probably six months or so but just recently decided to venture into it myself, so, here I am. :P
I'm rather odd and practically insane most of the time, and am addicted to all things Victorian and anything to do with it, hence my liking of steampunk. I'm also quite big on scandal of Victorian proportions, so that explains quite a bit. xD I'm here to make friends and get advice!

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

Steam Librarian

Hi everybody  :)

I am a 27 year old librarian student from Norway, and new to steampunk. I got interested in it after reading a lot of Jules Verne and Di Filippo`s steampunk trilogy. On my sparetime from study and work I use on my girlfriend the degu's and, movie, books, gaming and friends.

I hope I will get to know you all better, find s friends and get some needed help to navigate the "steampunk jungle" :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers.-Charles W. Eliot