News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Introduce yourself (mk. II)

Started by proteus, May 28, 2010, 02:37:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Lilith Engel

I'm Lilith, 16. I've always been very into steam technology, as I find it simply fascinating. I've been into the steampunk look for about a year or so, though I haven't been able to get the money for anything.
My name here was decided upon because of the contradictory nature of it. Lilith was Adam's first wife, and the mother of all evil spirits. Engel is German for angel.
I am a beginning artist, and sometimes designer.

Truthfully though, I'm a captain of an airship who, upon getting into a fight with a mysterious creature, was thrown through a portal into this world.  :D
Man the cannons! We've got company!

Greaser350

My name is Rob and I'm from New Jersey, here in the United States.  Originally from Brooklyn, New York.  My friends describe me as a "Time Traveller" as I can often be seen dressed in clothing reminiscent of anywhere between 1860 and 1959.  I'm way into rockabilly music (hence my name here) and can often be seen sporting a pompadour and biker jacket.  I've only recently gotten into steampunk as I love the concept and style of it (and have already been known to dress in victorian garb on occasion) and have a steamy aviator outfit in the works.  I am also into dieselpunk and am working on a sci-fi greaser style outfit (dieselpunk circa 1955 I guess).  I am a budding writer and actor and in about a month, I'll be headed to Chicago for college.

HG

Hello,

;D

Still new to all this - looking forward to having a looksee through your forum.
Found this site through a link from a Steampunk style motorcycle.

HG = Harmonic Generator - Its what I called my 1st real motorcycle. - was kinda loud.

Nathan

synaptyx

Nice place you have here. :)

A friend from the UKG prompted a Steampunk thread over there. Since I've always appreciated the Steampunk aesthetic, I thought it was about time I signed up here and started on my slow road to building an outfit. Currently, I have a name, an unmodified Nerf gun and a few grand ideas. :D

Mr Bellows

Quote from: synaptyx on July 18, 2010, 03:30:52 PM
Nice place you have here. :)

A friend from the UKG prompted a Steampunk thread over there. Since I've always appreciated the Steampunk aesthetic, I thought it was about time I signed up here and started on my slow road to building an outfit. Currently, I have a name, an unmodified Nerf gun and a few grand ideas. :D
Sounds like a grand place to start, although in my humble opinion
Spoiler: ShowHide
Lose  the nerf gun
;D ;D
Welcome to our humble & eccentric forum, may you enjoy your time here always.
In my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters

synaptyx

Quote from: Mr Bellows on July 18, 2010, 03:40:14 PMLose  the nerf gun ;D ;D
I'll take that under advisement, sir.
QuoteIn my opinion it ain't the weapon that counts, its the man that wields it that matters
;)
QuoteWelcome to our humble & eccentric forum, may you enjoy your time here always.
Thank you for the welcome! :)

CarnivalRogue

Welcome to brassgoggles synaptyx....by the way, would you care to explain your avatar?

Sir Ninian Marsh

Welcome , I thought I recognised the name :)  (This is Idej from the UKG)

Impressionist

Greeting: Salutations!
Name: Micheal
Interests: History, Theology, Acting, Etymology, Aviation, Impressionism, etc.
Comments: I've been interested in Steampunk for a little while now. It has a strong appeal to my unique tastes. I've loved the little SP literature I've read, the art I've seen, the fashion I've observed, and the projects I've sighted. The more of this the better! I do have a great interest in Steampunk as a culture and lifestyle. How does one live Steampunk? I want to find out.

Signature: (the) Impressionist
Post No. 001

If man has no tea in him, he is incapable of understanding truth and beauty.  ~Japanese Proverb

PrincessRiyu

Hello everyone! I'm a new member here, joined just 30 minutes ago :)
I'm Riyu, 17 years old (18 next month), from Sweden. This autumn I'll start my third and last year at the Technological programme at the swedish "highschool".
I've been a fan of steampunk in a few years time, but it wasn't until reacently I became kind of obsessed by it. Well, I'm not a proper steampunk... I'm more into the japanese Lolita-style (Classic lolita) but the influence of steampunk is growing stronger and stronger. I'm designing and sewing most of my clothes my self, so I's mixing the styles a bit and creating a personal one. I'm also painting/drawing a lot and got some other projects in my spare time. Projects running at this present time: re-designing my room and renovating/designing an old postman bicycle.

Steampunk inspires me a lot, and I hope all this awsome people at this forum I can give some more insperations in the near furure :)

Swissdictator

Hello, I'm Robert from the USA. Specifically the state of Wisconsin.

I'm using this screen name, simply because I'm known by this on any site I am on, which is mostly Warhammer forums (more fantasy than 40k).

I've always liked Victorian Science Fiction, I played a little bit of the computer game Space 1889 when I was younger, and I've been getting into more and more of steampunk kick lately, especially in terms of making stuff for Warhammer fantasy (Skaven and Chaos Dwarfs, maybe adding to my Empire eventually for those who are familiar with it).

I just find the aesthetics to be very cool, and it is just offers some fascinating stories to be quite honest. The Industrial era has always fascinated me, so this is perhaps a natural outlet for it.

I have a history degree, please suppress any chuckes, and I'm going back for a Computer Science degree. I've tried American Civil War re-enacting, but the group that I tried this with was foul, vulgar, and otherwise distasteful to the extreme... so I stopped.

So you'll probably see me coming up with crazy steam punk inspired conversions for the various warhammer stuff for a while, or see me looking to find some cool literature or movies. Perhaps hoping to find something of the scene in my area is something I'll be looking into as well.
"Scientific Progress goes boink?!" - Hobbes

Captain Quinlin Hopkins

Welcome everyone who's joined recently.  Glad to have each and everyone of you aboard.  I got a particular kick out of the comment that someone will "take the weekend" and catch up on the posts.  You'll no doubt find out that after you've been here a year, that you'll inadvertently stumble upon a post from several years back that are still quite pertinent. We've quite a fascinating place here.  I hope you enjoy your stay.  We do have our little tiffs now and again, but that is simply part of being human.  Feel free to disagree with anything anyone has to say as long as you do so in a polite manner.  And if you don't like the direction something is going, feel free to join in and give your thoughts.  I promise we will be most receptive. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society

Zara

Hello,

I'm Zara... I'm new to this forum, but have been reading posts here and there for a while. It seems to come up a lot in my posts. I'm from the Chicago area and seem to be a bit older than a lot of other people here, I'm in my 30's. Sometimes it seems harder to like these alternative lifestyles when you're older. People expect you to grow up and get over it. Oh well, I've gotten quite good at ignoring that. *grin*

Anyways, I look forward to spending a lot of time here, everyone seems to be having a ball and learning lots.

OswaldBastable

theres plenty of us 'older' people so you'rr in good company; well company anyway :P reminds me that I'm 35 in about two weeks
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre

Synth

Hello, I'm Syn. Things about me: I live in the UK, and have always had an interest in areas like Victorian literature/history/clothing, as well as in building things and occasionally blowing things up (in a purely accidental sense). I was aware of the concept of Steampunk for a while, but only recently discovered that there was a whole... group/movement/subculture (I'm sure I'll offend at least some people by using the wrong term, I apologise in advance, hopefully someone will correct me) around it. I am a musician and artist, and fund my hunting around antiques shops with jewellery making. I've only been on the forum a couple of days, but have been enjoying going back through threads, and hope that I will be able to contribute something useful.

Esme Moore

Quote from: Zara on July 24, 2010, 06:58:14 PM
Hello,

I'm Zara... I'm new to this forum, but have been reading posts here and there for a while. It seems to come up a lot in my posts. I'm from the Chicago area and seem to be a bit older than a lot of other people here, I'm in my 30's. Sometimes it seems harder to like these alternative lifestyles when you're older. People expect you to grow up and get over it. Oh well, I've gotten quite good at ignoring that. *grin*

Anyways, I look forward to spending a lot of time here, everyone seems to be having a ball and learning lots.

Older than many, perhaps, but there are quite a few older than you here, too - myself included (I'm in my 50's).   Grab a drink, take a seat, and welcome - same to all the other newcomers here, too!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Zara on July 24, 2010, 06:58:14 PM
Hello,

Quote from: Esme Moore on July 25, 2010, 08:09:18 AM
Grab a drink, take a seat, and welcome - same to all the other newcomers here, too!

Hear, hear!  Welcome to the group! *Lights up a pipe with ambers from the fireplace*  I'm 41 (don't fit the age neither mentally nor physically-but that's another matter  ;D );  I think if you're relatively new to Steampunk, you will find there is an unusual property to this art/lifestyle:  the average age is generally higher (I'd say substantially higher) than other "alternative lifestyles."  We are a very diverse group as well.  Both aspects lend a tremendous strength to this movement, as it threatens offers to appeal to "the entire family" age-wise so to speak.  ;)

The Entomologist

Waheey,
I've been lurking in the undergrowth for a while, and decided to take the plunge and sign up :D
im Dan 22, just finished university, and was looking for some way to decorate my room, looking for a way to incorperate my other interests (old things, bugs and making stuff)
steampunk appeared, and it was exactly what i was looking for :)
ive kept exotic inverts for years (but has to downsize for uni) hence my username, everthing from silk moths to tarantulas :D

im totally new to all of this tho dispite
loving  steam trains for years, and having the eyes of magpie

i think ill settle in here just fine :D

AlegrahEredschtadt

Welcome all! I'm too lazy to do individual welcomes, so considering yourself given a hearty welcome and hug. Good? Good. Glad we're all in agreement.

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/

Mr. Anthony Droid

Hello fellow Steampunk enthusiests and of course mad scientists.... I am Mr Anthony Droid or Mr Android if you prefer.  I am from the West in the USA and I am an aspiring Mad scientist/mad inventor/steampunk!
anyway.... just saying hi! and please don't chase me with pitchforks and torches  ;D
Cast In The Name Of God... Ye Not Guilty!...

Eusebius Herepath

Hello, I'm ancient, hairy and fat. And I've only just discovered that the stuff I like - locomotives, airships, Bryan Talbot graphic novels, Rankin Pratchett and Fforde, absurd ray-guns etc actually had a genre. My, this is going to be fun.

Eusebius Herepath, son of Christmas Herepath, died in 1774 in Woodnewton, Northamptonshire at the age of 43. Seemed like too good a name to die out, frankly...

Wesley Ryan

Hello everyone,
Although it is not my real name I actually do answer to Wes. I was a jock all though high school and now that I am in college I thought I'd explore my artistic side a bit more.  I am currently a second year bio-chem major with a Russian minor (super artistic right?). I grew up in Michigan and now call Ohio home, so I was glad to see that the Midwest was well represented.
I have a fairly strong artistic background, my dad and older brother both having MFA degrees. It was actually my brother who introduced me to steampunk a while back and I have been thinking of it on and off since.  I've had some free time this summer and came across this site while doing research for my first SP project. After lurking around for a few days, I though it was high time for me to step out of the shadows. I've been a closet geek/nerd and sci-fi fan for as long as I can remember, but never let it show.
I love rock climbing, mountain biking and really anything to do with the outdoors. So far this summer, I have read several books by Verne and Wells, in addition to many re-reads (Neverwhere and Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly just to name a few). When I am not nose down in a book, I spend my time working at a local hardware store, which has helped feed my interest in SP.
I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and sharing in the many interesting discussions that are already started. I am also looking forward to developing my SP persona (I've never been a part of role play before, but it sounds like a lot of fun).
W.R.

J. Wilhelm

Ha ha ha ha! Welcome to the Forum Mr. Ryan.  This is the first time I ever heard of someone say he was a closet geek/nerd (! ? ! !!)  Although as I have been told there is a difference between the two terms, geek and nerd!  You may want to sort that out first! Take your time, not all of us are role players, some just make, others write, and some live the lifestyle 24/7.  I'm more of the maker kind, not even dress-up, although that may change if my local group convinces me. You need to find yourself so to speak, but have fun doing so.

So come forth and fly your Geek Pride colors!   :P  ::)

sadishappyfordeeppeople

Hi there!
I discovered steam punk through the band Abney Park and found them by accident. 
Now I'm hooked and have been for a while, but new to the forum.

I'm an actor, writer, love sci-fi, astronomy, nature, exercising, art, and totally dig anything steam punk.
The Drigible on Caprica was pretty darn awesome!

Looking forward to chatting with ya'all...
Sad is happy for deep people - Sally Sparrow (somewhat abbreviated) from Doctor Who

Jane_Faye

Greetings, all!

I've been kind of afraid to join up here lest I develop the 'tiny fish, large pond' sensation that does tend to happen on the World Wide Waste of Time, but what the hey, I'm sure you're all jolly pleasant *hurriedly tucks self esteem issues away in the broom closet for the time being*.

I'm basically yet another one of these pseudo-alternative females (and there are many of us ladies about), who thinks they can multi-task between various artsy disciplines with vague amounts of skill in each - I dressmake, knit, make dreadlocks, draw, study history, bake, model (yes, that IS me on Zivity.com not wearing very much. I'm not really into the modelling much anymore, but the pictures still stand!), muck about in the chorus at Victorian-themed and burlesque shows, and perform juggling in public (mostly to Abney Park songs, actually, which seem to be very popular with my audience).

I'm an active member of GUESS (Glasgow University E. Steampunk Society), which is somewhat unavoidable since I live with one of its founding members (goes by the Steamy alias Halcyon Atherton).

So yes, salutations (and I hope I just got that signature picture to work...if not, there will be an embarrassing lump of incomplete code where a pretty signature should be!)