News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

the dark casual steampunks.

Started by nicromanov, July 21, 2010, 02:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nicromanov

for those of us who want to do away with the false titles and names ,yet wish to add steampunk into there lives .
all are welcome ,esspecially if you like long black coats ,dark wood rooms and have a natural tilt to the darker side of things :)
"curse this infernal machine of the devil!!"

JingleJoe

Sounds like my kind of place :) I've got two long dark coats - one is a full length leather trench coat and the other comes down to about my knees and is made from the lesser substance than leather, known as "fabric" but it's in an excellent old-fashioned style :)
Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.

NazT

This is for me. My long coats have long gone though. My last, a black leather one with my own stitching up the back (closed the flippin thing in a car door and being so thin it tore), I eventually gave away to someone who had taken up falconry. As soon as funds permit I shall have another one.

As for the darker side of things well that's me 100%.

nicromanov

then all is well ,i own a thick wool black coat and a long leather coat ,and my black goggles just came through the ppost today .

Picaroon

My room is painted dark silver and has posters of black metal bands clutching onto the walls. Yet, I still sit there in my waistcoat and trousers, quietly sipping tea. I have a large, dark, wooden cabinet that houses music for the depraved and books for the suicidal. People walk into my room and feel unwelcome and depressed. I keep my thick, woven damask curtains closed at all times. I may appear goth or Luciferian to the ignorant, but I'm really just me, me being someone who appreciates the comfort of darkness as well as steampunk of course.
"'But he was unmoved, and cried: "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous end!"'

nicromanov

well i do belive weve all found some like oursleves .:) personal i dont prefer black metal ,more hard metal and classic metal ,but i cant appreciate some black and death metal bands .:)

CorneliaCarton

I do believe there may be a term for us, my fellow darksiders.
Steamgoth. I could be wrong, of course, but that is what I have heard.
I own a leather trench coat and a pair of black and green welding goggles, hehe.
Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.

greensteam

Hm ,there is always room for everyone in SP, even me, as def not a goth. BUT. I love long coats, have two - brown dryzabone and beige duster. Also long gendarme's cape in heavy dark blue wool with massive hood, a particular favourite. For lighter weather I have two floorlength waistcoats, surplus stock from an opera of the merchant of venice.

I am gathering items for the living room I hanker after, all I have to do now is persuade the family we need to move to a house where the changes I want might be easier done.
So it's every hand to his rope or gun, quick's the word and sharp's the action. After all... Surprise is on our side.

Picaroon

Quote from: nicromanov on July 22, 2010, 08:46:24 PM
well i do belive weve all found some like oursleves .:) personal i dont prefer black metal ,more hard metal and classic metal ,but i cant appreciate some black and death metal bands .:)

Black metal is ultimate overall for me. However, I listen to Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ram... and King Diamond is, well, the metal king and my favorite band.
"'But he was unmoved, and cried: "If I am mad, it is mercy! May the gods pity the man who in his callousness can remain sane to the hideous end!"'

NazT

Quote from: Picaroon on July 23, 2010, 06:36:27 AM

Black metal is ultimate overall for me. However, I listen to Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Ram... and King Diamond is, well, the metal king and my favorite band.
Black metal is the only music that really does anything for me. I can listen to other music but only BM really triggers something incredible in my brain.

Also I think I am more Darksteamer (hopefully I just made that up and it doesnt already have another different meaning) than steamgoth however. I like the goth culture but it just doesnt ring true for me.

Also greensteam just reminded me that I too have a dryzabone (from Oz no less) but that it is sadly too short in the sleeve. I have thought about cutting the sleeves off but not sure that would work either. :)

nicromanov

oh god ,iv created a sub genre! :) haha ,well ,i was a goth for a while ,but deep down ,i feel very very out of place in this time period ,it just isnt me ,o iv been alot darker in the way i think ,and i suppose with my attraction to the past ,i was born steampunk :)

Picaroon

Quote from: NazT on July 23, 2010, 11:03:34 AM
Quote from: Picaroon on July 23, 2010, 06:36:27 AM

Black metal is the only music that really does anything for me. I can listen to other music but only BM really triggers something incredible in my brain.

Also I think I am more Darksteamer (hopefully I just made that up and it doesnt already have another different meaning) than steamgoth however. I like the goth culture but it just doesnt ring true for me.

Also greensteam just reminded me that I too have a dryzabone (from Oz no less) but that it is sadly too short in the sleeve. I have thought about cutting the sleeves off but not sure that would work either. :)

I know what you mean. I can listen to other genres and liven up or get a jolt of energy from it, but black metal takes me into an alternate dimension.

"Darksteamer?" I've not seen nor heard of that phrase before. I'd giggle if you found it on urbandictionary.com as the nickname of some coprophile sexual act.

JingleJoe

This thread has made me realize, I really miss my old trench coat, I don't wear it much anymore you see but I really should, especially with a hat because it makes you look like a secret agent or some sort of assassin >:D

P.S. Battle metal!
Rasputin - Turisas Live

Picaroon

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 29, 2010, 12:12:02 PM
This thread has made me realize, I really miss my old trench coat, I don't wear it much anymore you see but I really should, especially with a hat because it makes you look like a secret agent or some sort of assassin >:D

P.S. Battle metal!
Rasputin - Turisas Live

You should have actually posted "Battle Metal!"

JingleJoe

Yeah, but Rasputin is more fun :D
I went on the hunt for my trench coat yesterday but I can't find it :o I think my grandma has it (my family is a long line of artists and mad people) I went to her house but forgot to look for it. ::)

Picaroon

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 31, 2010, 02:08:26 PM
Yeah, but Rasputin is more fun :D
I went on the hunt for my trench coat yesterday but I can't find it :o I think my grandma has it (my family is a long line of artists and mad people) I went to her house but forgot to look for it. ::)

"Rasputin" does have a more lively beat but either way, you'll get a group of people shouting out something fervently be it "Ra ra Rasputin" or "Battle, battle, metal, battle!" I have an old 70's leather trenchcoat I bought in an antique shop. I haven't worn it since I was 15. What I want now is a highwayman's coat.

JingleJoe

I had to google highwayman's coat and I must say it's a spiffing variety of long dark coat indeed! They seem to have a built in cowl :D

xenomagnet

I just wish I could wear a Morning Jacket in public
Yar - har - fiddle-dee-dee, being a pirate is all right to be!
Do what you want 'cause a pirate is free, you are a pirate!

neon_suntan

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 29, 2010, 12:12:02 PM

P.S. Battle metal!

And from the album Battle magic

Bal-Sagoth - Naked Steel (The Warrior's Saga)

Picaroon

Quote from: JingleJoe on July 31, 2010, 06:59:10 PM
I had to google highwayman's coat and I must say it's a spiffing variety of long dark coat indeed! They seem to have a built in cowl :D

It's like a trench coat, but more of a step out of the ordinary. The cowl also adds more badassedness!

To xenomagnet: you can wear a morning jacket in public! It's not like you're trying to pull of a mankini while skimming through "Stalky and Co." in the library...
Steampunk is anachronistic with people pulling out a pocket-watch to tell the time, tipping tophats to a complete a greeting, and making sure their waistcoat isn't covered in dog/cat hair before walking out of the door all while thinking up how one would go about building zeppelin docks as they admire the landscape of a city. I mean, people are 1980's crazy nowadays, why not be 1880's crazy?

Argus Fairbrass

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd share this little anecdote with you, as it has some relevance to the subject of liking long black coats.

At the turn of the century (the last one) I was walking home on New Years day. Over my black suit I was wearing my very long black double-breasted coat. Which I had brought from the local American Airbase, and had owned for some time. Even by today's standards it is quite unique, being made of a slightly shiny polyester gabardine type material. I was also wearing my grey tweed Newsboy style cap, so I looked quite Dickensian (or so I thought).
This was one of the rare times when I was wearing my hair quite short (it's just above waist length at the mo)
Anyway while walking along the road past a set of traffic lights, a young woman (I won't call her lady) leant out of her car window and started screaming

Spoiler: ShowHide
Go home you weird bastard go home!

Now I've had what could be described as a fairly alternative appearance since the late 70's. So I've encountered just about every form of verbal abuse known to man (and woman). And as a result became fairly good at ignoring such behaviour, although in recent years my tolerance for this kind of attitude has pretty much hit zero! Particularly after the Sophie Lancaster tragedy.

Anyway I found myself pondering that this was, by the normal standards of abuse I'd previously encountered, a fairly unusual thing to say (the go home part at least).
I am a pasty white English person, and obviously idiotic racist xenophobic morons like that would, normally, reserve such outbursts for people they consider to be foreigners.
She actually sounded genuinely quite upset, and I mean verging on hysterical by my appearance.

It wasn't till a little while later that it struck me. To the casual observer at least, my coat looks very much like one of these.

A Jewish Rekel

She must have assumed I was Jewish. Yes there are some charming characters in my town, just like everywhere sadly. It has become a lot more multi racial in recent years. But there is still not a particularly visible presence of what I'd describe as the more hardcore Hassidic (amongst others) type Jews. I've never seen one here basically.

From what I gather, Jews actually wear three different types of black coat. The Rekel, the Bekeshe and a type of Frock Coat called a Kapoteh. All have variations in spelling. Black (so I read) illustrates a lack of distraction as to ones appearance, allowing greater concentration on worship I assume. And apparently long garments (in Jewish terms) are worn as a sign of respect. It's a shame they don't always elicit a respectful reaction from others.

Personally I've just always liked long coats, and have owned a great many!

The current picture in my Avatar (if that's the right word) is of a Punch Magazine cartoon from the 1800's. It's a satire depicting an anti Garrotte coat. This was a common technique of attack used by muggers, and a big issue back in those days.
I've seen some really crazy inventions both satirised and real to combat the problem. I'm thinking of knocking one up, Kevlar lined of course!

I like Dark Steamer a lot btw. I think that's what I'm rolling with hehe.

I'd like to underline the fact that I am in no way anti Semitic or I would hope bigoted at all, except towards bigots that is. I'm aware that there may well be people of Jewish faith on this forum. Not being in any way religious myself, it isn't something I know too much about. But that incident certainly gave me a personal insight in to a particular kind of prejudice I hadn't encountered before.

Of course these days I just get things like "Oy Matrix" shouted at me a lot  ::)

Cheers.
Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

NazT

Ah well I started wearing a long black trench coat waaaaaaaaaaaaay back when Rutger Hauer was doing the Guinness ads (sad day when they changed them I can tell you :'() anyhoo I dont wear one anymore as I cant find one that I like. Ideally I want one like the ones worn in that film Brotherhood of the wolf.

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: NazT on October 11, 2010, 11:14:46 AM
I want one like the ones worn in that film Brotherhood of the wolf.

You mean one of these?
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

NazT

Quote from: Capt. Dirigible on October 11, 2010, 11:28:05 AM
Quote from: NazT on October 11, 2010, 11:14:46 AM
I want one like the ones worn in that film Brotherhood of the wolf.

You mean one of these?

Thats it!!!  Not so sure about the hat (just not my style) but the coat is wonderful!!! :D

Utini420

I could so mac that coat.  I might sub in a different hat, but I like that "looking through my cloths is like seeing the world through a tank driver's slit" look.

Edit: it's worth noting that the only reason I don't have a leather kilt is because I can't find one stout enough.  They all seem to be made of soft leather, like a leather skirt.  And there's nothing wrong with that, bu I want one made of sterner stuff, like motorcycle leathers.
If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com