News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Aid for those not so dexterous with the æther (how to post links and images)

Started by Pheobsky, August 05, 2007, 11:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheobsky

A couple of technical querys:

1) how does one go about creating a link that is simply displayed as a word ie: a link ?

2) how does one put an image as a signature?

3) How does one use image as a signature and then turn that into a link?
Them/they

Tinkergirl

Much of this formatting is done using BBCode - tags with square brackets around them.

1) To create a link that is merely a word, you use the [ url ]Your Word/s Here[ /url ] tags as per usual, however in the first, opening tag, you put [ url=http://www.yourlinkaddress.here ].

Example:  If I wanted to create "Brass Goggles" as a link to the blog, I'd write:
[url=http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/]Brass Goggles[/url]

2) You may use BBCode (such as [ url ] or [ img ] tags) in your signature.  You just need to remember them, as there's no button to add them for you.  So, simply put in your signature entry something like:
[img]http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg_theme/forumtheme/forumbannerbig.jpg[/img]

3) To add an image that is also a link, you just add the extra tags, in this case, where you have your img and /img tags, surround them with url and /url tags.
[url=http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/][img]http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg_theme/forumtheme/forumbannerbig.jpg[/img][/url]
At least, I believe that should work.

PS - You've done better than many in finding the correct symbol for "æ" ;)

Pheobsky

Them/they

little-spoon

Thank you on behalf of the other members who flounder at the use of code to spruce up our posts.  This helps tremendously!

Dr von Zarkov

Examples 2 and 3 assume that the image is located on the brass goggles forum, to which we peons have no graphic upload access. I would add that the image must first be uploaded to Flickr or a similar image-hosting site.

Quote from: Tinkergirl on August 05, 2007, 01:29:33 PM
2) You may use BBCode (such as [ url ] or [ img ] tags) in your signature.  You just need to remember them, as there's no button to add them for you.  So, simply put in your signature entry something like:
[img]http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg_theme/forumtheme/forumbannerbig.jpg[/img]

3) To add an image that is also a link, you just add the extra tags, in this case, where you have your img and /img tags, surround them with url and /url tags.
[url=http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/brassgoggles/][img]http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg_theme/forumtheme/forumbannerbig.jpg[/img][/url]
At least, I believe that should work.

PS - You've done better than many in finding the correct symbol for "æ" ;)
"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley

Mister Griffiths

Can you use something like the Facebook photo albums to host an image for this board? I'm a little reluctant to start yet another internet account!
"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"

Pheobsky

If this works you can:
Spoiler: ShowHide

-You have to right click on the image, then on view image & then take the address & put it between the appropriate tags here
-hope that was of help

-Pheobsky ^^
Them/they

Mister Griffiths

Hyren von Henry

Est. 1990

Tiny5th

i have never been one for the use of symbols, so dont know the alt** codes for placing them, how exactly do you get the AE?

Inventing is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing.

Mister Griffiths

alt-0198 gives you Æ, don't know about the lower case version i'm afraid!

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

Try this link.  When you use the alt-XXXX you're entering an ASCII code. these are universally standard numerical values assocaited with the characters we see. It is always 4 digits, so if the ascii code is 198, you press alt-0198.

At least, I believe that's how it works.
"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

Pheobsky

Also just to add- if you have a mac, hold down the 'alt' button, & press ' (the apostroph key) to get 'æ'
Them/they

Horse Brass

If you can't remember the various alt tricks...

On a Mac, open TextEdit, go to Edit > Special Characters, then search through the font for what you want, highlight it and click Insert when you've selected it.

Under XP, run  Accessories > System Tools > Character Map, find the character you want, highlight it, then click Select, then Copy, then paste it into your text. Character Map shows you the alt-code so you can remember it for next time.

These are slow ways to do it, but I sometimes find it faster than spending 5 minutes failing to remember the alt-code, then 5 minutes googling for a list. Just remember that the more obscure the character, the more likely someone else's machine won't be able to display it.
"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded

Master Aaron

I just want to take a pic of my computer and place it on the forum, how do I do that?????????

Lady Penelope

Quote from: Master Aaron on April 15, 2008, 08:36:24 PM
I just want to take a pic of my computer and place it on the forum, how do I do that?????????

What I usually do is upload my picture to a site that does free photo hosting, like ImageShack or Flickr.  Then,  to insert the picture in my post, I copy the picture's web address, click on the little button with the framed picture (on the far left in the second row of buttons above the text window of my post), and then paste the address between the two brackets that appear in the text box.

If you need the explanation unpacked even more than that, or if you need me to talk you through how or where to upload your pictures, feel free to send me a private message. (I nearly typed "private massage"...gotta love typoes!  :D )  I'll be glad to tailor my instructions to your level of computer knowledge or lack thereof.

Mister Griffiths

Now here's a puzzler, at least to me:

Can you host videos on facebook? The image hosting works wonderfully for me, and if I could do videos too it would make life so much easier!

Pheobsky

Quote from: Mister Griffiths on April 22, 2008, 01:34:31 PM
Now here's a puzzler, at least to me:

Can you host videos on facebook? The image hosting works wonderfully for me, and if I could do videos too it would make life so much easier!

Yes you can, although I believe, that you have to right click on the picture & go to 'view picture' before copying the address -however I have no idea about the movies-I think its up to you to try it out!  ;D
Them/they

Tiny5th

photobucket is alot easier to host videos, and people can view them without having to register

Mich

So which icon is it here, and how are people doing the spoiler malarky?

Tiny5th

when you are typing, just above the text box is all the tools you need, theres one called spoiler, or just type:

[spoiler]text / image here[/spoiler]

Mich

Thanks Tiny. I'll have to use your code, because for the life of me I can't see the spoiler icon* checks through: Bold,Italic,Underlined etc.,Is thick!*

Pheobsky

That's odd the icon's disappeared for me too- its probably something to do with the updating & chopping & changing of the formatte of brassgoggles...
Them/they

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."