News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The rocket pack collective thread

Started by maduncle, March 24, 2011, 11:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Addams

Following the outstanding examples set by Herr Doktor and Maets, I too am eager to join the Brass Goggles Rocket Pack.
As we speak I am scouring ebay, And various Car Boot sales for somthing to use as the main body of this personal transportation device.

Maets

Here are the first pictures of my second rocket pack.  It borrows some design elements from my first unit and a design element from Herr Dokter.  I will be adding leather straps tonight, but the best is yet to come.  I built this one so it actually will shoot out "steam" from all four nozzles.  Stay tuned for a video. 

The unit is made entirely from steel, brass and copper.  No paint, no glue, no foam.

The Sammy

... :o
I've got nothing else to add... it looks beautiful...
~Longeye~

Maets

Forgot to mention.  This one is a little lighter, only 12.6 lbs.  It is 16 inches wide, 19" high and 6" deep.

maduncle

Excellent work Maets,

You have given me one or two ideas for the controls (I do have a flexible brass gooseneck with a pressure gauge on the end).

More photos of other rocket pack adventures please!
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

maduncle

And here are more photos!

This evening I bolted the various components to the red combustion tank.

Bits attached.

Testing location for frame mounting.

I hope to have this on my back in time for the unveiling on the 9th April.

Maets

Looking good.  I really like the tank color and the use of the horn.  Gives me more ideas.  Thanks!

helios

Looks great maduncle. Now all it needs are some stabilisers, and maybe some directional thrusters. Oh, and a nice racing number. Might I suggest 6?
In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!

bicyclebuilder

Wonderfull work, both Maets and Maduncle.
@Helios: numbers 6 and 9 might be confusing when flying upside down.
Number 8 might be confused with infinity when flying sideways.
A nice solid number like 7 is my suggestion, but only written with a horizontal line in the middle.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

helios

7 is overdone. In a recent study, results suggest that the majority of people choose either 4 or 7 when asked to state a number between 1 and 10. Of course, that's just personal preference.
And the trouble differentiating 6 and 9? Easily solved. 6 and 9. Tada!

mehall

Quote from: helios on March 28, 2011, 01:42:40 PM
7 is overdone. In a recent study, results suggest that the majority of people choose either 4 or 7 when asked to state a number between 1 and 10. Of course, that's just personal preference.
And the trouble differentiating 6 and 9? Easily solved. 6 and 9. Tada!

That's actually a lot less disproportionate than I was expecting. I chose 7, but it's my favourite number and I picked it knowing fine well I'd almost certainly be agreeing with the majority.

maduncle

Helios my friend you are on the money.

The rocket pack does in fact have directional thrusters fitted to each side, and I do plan to put a white oval with a racing number on the tank - probably '3' as I defer 1 to Maets and 2 to Herr Doktor.

helios

3 you say? If I hurry, I might be able to snatch 6!
It's going to look very good, if I'm not mistaken. Good work, that man.

Mr Addams

Perhaps we should use this thread as an unofficial "Regestry" of SP Roketeers.
I am in the process of assembling the components, but due to pressure on both my finances and my time, I anticipate a registration somwhere in the low teens.

Perhaps we should plan for a gathering of the Brass Goggles Rocket Rangers at the Asylum.

++++EDIT++++

Ok, I may have let my enthusiam carry me away there. With No1 in the USA, No2 in the UK, and No3 in Australia, I dont think that a gathering is on the cards just yet.

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

What do you think Rocketpacks are for. Mr Maets and Maduncle we expect to see you at The Asylum, technical difficulties pending.

You know perhaps we ought to start doing what SF fans do and start fan funds to send fans to and from the New World and The Antipodes. Basically they are a £5.00 a head subscription, and you have up to half a dozen people canvassing at major conventions and meetings, with the one who wins the most subscriptions winning everything collected for tickets, spending money etc. The big conventions donate a membership and involve the winner in their festivities, it is expected for other fans to put them up and entertain them whilst in the host country, where they spend a couple of weeks doing fannish things. I hosted the GUFF (Going Up Fan Fund) fans husband and wife Trevor and Sue, the week before Eastercon in 2009. I took them to Little Shop of Horrors with Sylvester McCoy, and they hadameal with the Sheffield SF Group, explored the Countryside etc.

You need a convention around the 700+ mark to make this effective, so whilst The Asylum is plenty big enough, not sure there are big enough SP Conventions yet in the New World I'd Antipodes to provide reciprocity.

The whole point is that the person chosen is an Ambassador and someone whose presence will enliven proceedings rather than chosen on 'buggins' turn, some worthy but dull fan. That's why I have never run! That and the fact the plane ticket might be one way!
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Maets

Not sure if I am ready for a trans Atlantic flight using my rocket pack.   Will have to work on its range.

Mr Addams

I just found this, and it just looked right.

A trailer for the roketeer envisiged as a 1030's movie.

Rocketeer trailer from 1938

The question is, is it Maets? Is it Herr Doktor? or is it Maduncle?

Maets

So now we've got to make a finned helmet.   Any helmet makers out there?

r_is_for_rachel

My other half made this for the Asylum - The Dornberger Aetherian rocket-pack. Inspired by the work of Professor T Frost in the Didcot System and powered by the revolutionary new fuel of tea!

Spoiler: ShowHide

maduncle

Quote from: r_is_for_rachel on March 29, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
My other half made this for the Asylum - The Dornberger Aetherian rocket-pack. Inspired by the work of Professor T Frost in the Didcot System and powered by the revolutionary new fuel of tea!

Spoiler: ShowHide

That is brilliant!

Consider yourself a full member of the rocketeers guild.

As for me flying over to Asylum, I hope to get there one of these days - just not this year.

And the Rocketeers Guild registration can begin here -

#1 - Maets.
#2 - Herr Doktor.
#3 - Mad Uncle.

A posted photograph of your rocket pack on this thread will register you, I am considering getting a set of numbers on small white ovals cut from vinyl, and I will mail one to each rocketeer as they register, and if they PM me their mailing address.

Do we like this concept?

Maets

Quote from: r_is_for_rachel on March 29, 2011, 09:47:27 PM
Lovely!! Welcome to the Rocketeers Guild!

Quote from: maduncle on March 29, 2011, 11:03:11 PM

And the Rocketeers Guild registration can begin here -

#1 - Maets.
#2 - Herr Doktor.
#3 - Mad Uncle.

A posted photograph of your rocket pack on this thread will register you, I am considering getting a set of numbers on small white ovals cut from vinyl, and I will mail one to each rocketeer as they register, and if they PM me their mailing address.

Do we like this concept?

Thanks for giving me number 1 for my first rocket pack! Having posted two different rocket packs, do I get another number?  If so can I have 13 (lucking number in the family) or does that throw things off?
May I suggest that it may be appropriate to have each member specify the type of rocket pack, ie racing, cruising, ??

mehall

I think it makes more sense to have the racer, rather than the rocket, determine the reg. number for the series.

Maets

Quote from: mehall on March 30, 2011, 12:18:20 AM
I think it makes more sense to have the racer, rather than the rocket, determine the reg. number for the series.

I guess I would agree.  Never mind my previous.
Thanks!

Xenos

Damn!

Now I have to start building a rocket pack...  I wanna get in on either 21 or 12 (yes, yes, I AM a Rush fan!)...
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

maduncle

Quote from: mehall on March 30, 2011, 12:18:20 AM

Correct!

The 'racer' will be assigned their number upon posting the photo of their rocket pack.

I already have one address for a number set, so I will be organising the vinyl cut letters soon. I figure a small oval 10cm x 7cm will be enough, so if you are building a rocket pack - allow that much space somewhere for the number, or attach a panel for the number if you want to add it to an existing rocket pack (or stick it to your costume)!