News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Unofficial Brass Goggles Minecraft Server!

Started by The Sammy, April 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sammy

Yes the give command still works with other people.
~Longeye~

Sorontar

Bioshock Rapture for Minecraft: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31889
Part 2: http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/31890

Please can you show those of us who aren't on the server what has been made. I am enjoying the conversations here on BG but I have lost context a little. Have you got a map yet?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

CPT. Dansko

just one qeury (However you spell it ::))) just how many buildings are gonna be made once Longeye cleared a space (talking about the under-water city) and also what is the sacle gonna be because looking at the picture that thing is friggin' huge... i don't think it can be a 1:1 scale as some one told me whilst i was playing on the server yesterday...
get back to me please

-CPT. Dansko-

Manix

Im not sure if the city was going to be 1:1 scale but if longeye was able to clear the space I suggested (impossible to due the technical difficulties) then it easily could have been.

We now need suggestions from people as to how big the city wants to be so that longeye can clear a space just large enough.

The act of removing the space is going to be difficult.

Sorontar:

Ill get you some screen shots if Longeye approves.

CPT. Dansko

I think it should be maybe a 1:2 or 1:3 scale of the real thing... but the problem will be building it... i am willing to help when ever i am online on 1 condition... is it possible for me to have and apartment or a house in it when done...
please reply soon

-CPT. Dansko-

The Sammy

Okay folks, firstly Sorontar; there area few screen-shots on the website (in the OP) but they are mostly advertising ones, I must admit.... There is a slight map, but it's more a picture of the world in isometric if you care to know) that you can zoom in quite a way and see the state of things. Manix, if you want to take some shots then by all means do. I asked and nobody disapproves of having their work displayed, and if you email them to me (augustus.longeye@gmail.com) I'll put them on the site as well (as opposed to you uploading them yourself and putting them somewhere, though I don't mind if you want to do that).

Right... the underwater thing... I cannot be 1:1 as the space it requires would be bigger than I care to dig. Using WorldEdit I can theoretically vanish the entire thing, but the server can't handle it (it crashes) and I don't think it can even do a chunk at a time (bear in  mind just how many blocks make a chunk). I'm thinking what with the latest TnT revelation that it might be easier to blow the damned thing sky high, but I'm also somewhat hesitant about having such a big hole in the landscape if I'm honest. I know it will probably be turned into something, but if the project dies it looks a little silly.
If you guys want to go ahead and do it, when an mod/op is online they can give you TnT and you can do it that way if you want. It will take a lto longer than WorldEdit, but from my testing WorldEdit is only really designed for smaller scale things, or buildings (where most of it is air anyway). Chunks, it seems, are just to busy for it to cope with.

What are everyone's thoughts?
~Longeye~

Sorontar

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on April 29, 2011, 01:13:57 PM
Okay folks, firstly Sorontar; there area few screen-shots on the website (in the OP) but they are mostly advertising ones, I must admit.... There is a slight map, but it's more a picture of the world in isometric if you care to know) that you can zoom in quite a way and see the state of things.

I found the three pics on the donation page. Are they the ones you meant? And I found the map by looking through the recent activity log (and on this thread's OP). It looks like you are off to a good start. I particularly like the submarine. I am in the midst of building my own version of the Nautilas underwater (and drowning regularly whilst trying to build a dry dock around it)..

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

The Sammy

Ah yes... drowning is a problem with the underwater builds... and yes I must admit I have neglected pictures somewhat so they're all (and they're not brilliant) so I'll try and add a 'builds' page with a little piece on the larger things (and the smaller ones when I get time)!
~Longeye~

Manix

Makebot, im sure you have noticed, has started work taking out bits of the map using world edit(when I said chucks I meant a collection of blocks not an actual map chuck) it wont take long at this rate to clear a good big section. TNT may be used around the edge to make it more land-scapey.
Construction can start before the water is added to make it easier to build and to avoid drowning.

I will get on making a few screen shots later tonight and upload them here. Im not sure who owns what so Ill edit my post as we go along when people claim stuff.

Manix

The Sammy

Right folks, I'm sorry to sound like an ass, but I have to make some things clear and they have to be followed.
Up to now I've been lenient on damn near everything, but this is starting to cause a few problems as more people join and it get's a little crowded.
The rules have been posted so there is no ambiguity at all, they are on the website and will be echo'd on the OP in just a few moments. Please familiarise yourself with them as leniency won't be given for ignorance of them.
Secondly; I have installed a complete log mod. This logs EVERYTHING, conversations, whispered messages and commands used. This is so that when trouble arises again, there will be no doubt what has happened, and I will act. I don't want there to be arguments on the server, and I certainly don't want to have to act but if it comes to it I will wade right in with the ban hammer.
Lastly; I don't know what's happened but I've had more problems in the past week than I have since I started it. I don't know what's to blame, and to be honest I don't care. If you think you do know and you can do something about it, please do. Let's try and not have anybody banned, or anything nasty happen.

On a positive note, I'm reinstating the /giveme command with the knowledge that TnT is not to be spawned at all by anybody unless they have permission from me directly.
Thanks guys, and sorry to do this,
~Longeye~

The Sammy

Hey guys... for... some vague reason the server is down :/ I'm not sure why but it looks like their servers have al crashed. I'll let you know when I can get it back, but not much I can do right now I'm afraid!
Sorry,
~Longeye~

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on April 30, 2011, 10:53:54 AM
Hey guys... for... some vague reason the server is down :/ I'm not sure why but it looks like their servers have al crashed. I'll let you know when I can get it back, but not much I can do right now I'm afraid!
Sorry,
~Longeye~

No worries, just gives us another reason to get out in the sun!
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

Manix

You are joking right? You...sun? Oh no you will just end up round mine badgering me for tht spare copy of ace combat 5  ;D

The Corsair

A few things I have to add.

I am in the process of sorting out the minecraft problem on my present PC and should soon be able to get on more regularly again

Could a more up-to-date map be attained?

What exactly has caused you to add the logging program and be so infuriated? (I haven't been on lately)

I'm not entirely comfortable with any world editing programs being used for the sake of construction. I think that things, no matter how large, should be constructed by us playing the game, otherwise we're destroying a lot of the experience.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Quote from: The Corsair on May 01, 2011, 04:51:29 AM
What exactly has caused you to add the logging program and be so infuriated? (I haven't been on lately)

I do believe that I am the one to blame for this one i'm afraid...

The Corsair

What exactly did you do? PM it if you want
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Screaming Lord Pea Green

let's just say that with a hole that big, the vaseline won't be necessary...

Manix

Quote from: The Corsair on May 01, 2011, 04:51:29 AM

I'm not entirely comfortable with any world editing programs being used for the sake of construction. I think that things, no matter how large, should be constructed by us playing the game, otherwise we're destroying a lot of the experience.

Im not sure you are familiar with the scope of the project in question.

The only other way to do it would be with TNT and considering recent events and the general nature of TNT im not sure thats wise.

The Sammy

Quotelet's just say with a hole that big, the vaseline won't be necessary
Oh! Nasty O.o
... and yet I laughed none-the-less...
Well everything is sorted out now, the server is back up and running (no word yet on why it was down but it being the weekend they might all be out of office) without major problem, except our old friend Mr. Lag.
I know it's been done, but I'm going to suggest it again; if I get financial support for it we can upgrade to a faster/bigger server and whilst I'm not guaranteeing it'll solve every problem it should dramatically reduce lag (a server 2x as big = lag /2 I assume). It's up to you guys though.
As for map, I was going to update it yesterday but couldn't so I'm doing it right now (after typing this).
Lastly Corsair the problem is that CraftBook (amazing by the way, thanks for the heads-up) NEEDS WorldEdit to work. They suggest if you don't want WorldEdit to put it in your root directory, but using MMA there is no root directory, so we have to have WorldEdit.
I do agree that with projects (especially huge ones; just look at the huge things made by hand already) give you a much better feeling of completion when built by hand, but I also acknowledge that if you want to use it to dig a hole (and lose all minerals etc. inside it) then it's your claimed land and your loss. If the majority do have a problem with using WorldEdit then I will ban the commands though.
Hope this all helps!
~Longeye~

Gunner Gregson

Thank you very much Longeye for uploading the most current map.
it has allowed me to look at the castle from a distance, i have now figured out the corner, and how it will be built.
its been bugging me for a while, and i can only do so much on squared paper.
now i gotta go mining and get ALOT of cobbblestone again.

i still stand by the 'hand built' approach, pretty much everything i have built has been done so. (with the exception of items from the nether TNT and the diamond blocks)
like Corsair said "I think that things, no matter how large, should be constructed by us playing the game, otherwise we're destroying a lot of the experience." that sums it up entirely

i have never used Worldedit and more than likely never will.

GG
Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.

Gunner Gregson

can i ask once again please stay out of the castle.

i have logged on today to get some more building done and im spending my time on repairs, the whole area is infested with mobs at night and is extremely dangerous, i understand that a creeper blew up the front gate (thanks for the sign)
i also have to repair the lava towers, the whole area is off limits and the ONLY player i have given access is Longeye (if it was you Longeye it is rather unusual you didnt drop me a message.)
please can everyone stay away for the time being until its made safe.

well off to finish the repairs.

GG

The Sammy

No indeed Gregson 'twasn't I. I haven't been over there in a while (I've been too busy to do any serious building) so I didn't know what state it was in. Please remember everyone that things marked with a DO NOT ENTER are not challenges, they are serious. I seem to remember the castle had a gate that's address was DO NOT ENTER so I am perplexed as to how someone did.
Please respect signs like that guys, there isn't a whole lot on the server that is out of bounds (to my knowledge there are only 2 out of bounds areas and a single limited area) so it shouldn't cause too much trouble.
Thanks!
~Longeye~

Manix

On the topic of destroyed builds Im close to a conclusion to what happened to my boat (bar ghosts of notches brother).
From whats missing and the damage done inside it looks like either someone has mined away at, or (with a creeper or tnt) has made a hole in the side of the boiler (which was filled with lava) this has then started a rather large fire and set fire to the wood and the wool.

Repairs are under way but Id' just like to know if anyone was in there or knows what happened.

-As for the use of world edit

I think people are under the impression that building work will be done with world edit, where as in fact it is just the massive scale hole digging that will be using those tools. The city and other building works will indeed be done by hand.

Regards Manix

Gunner Gregson

i unfortunately cannot get back from where i am (stargates are iffy)
a creeper will only explode if 'toyed' with, and an area 'off limits' it shouldnt have happened.

im sorry to hear about the loss of your boat, lava is always a pain which is why the castle is mostly made from non-flammable blocks.

i think the issue with such a large build is not the 'landscaping' but the gathering of materials, to gather enough materials to finish the build is going to be large, more than likely resulting in a lack of interest to finish.

the galleon took me a week of casual playing to finish, gathering all the wood, and mining coal was the hardest part. the second part of flooding the area also took a good few hours. (i stole the wool from the Wool House ;D )

GG

The Sammy

Manix, I know what's happened here and it was nobodies fault. Fire didn't spread on the server because I turned that function off, normally it can spread to any flammable block within 4 squares, so unless your boiler was 4 thick the fire would have 'jumped' to the wool outside and then it was only an unfortunate matter of time before it took the whole thing out. I'm sorry that happened, it's always a shame when a building gets destroyed but so soon after building it is even worse.
~Longeye~