News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Unofficial Brass Goggles Minecraft Server!

Started by The Sammy, April 10, 2011, 02:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Sammy

As the server is shut down, no new players are being accepted!

Introduction:
This is a topic dedicated solely to the minecraft server that is being run. There is another topic that is for more general minecraft chit chat, but this is relating to things only server based. This post will also update with any useful commands you might need to know, and is also a good place for people to post what their minecraft names are so that we know who is who on the server. For example, I'm Karenthian.

The server is hosted by OwnageHosting, and is you want to join you must first send me a PM asking to (with your username) so that I can white list you. This is to cut out griefers. The server itself is a communal free build place, so you can build nearly anything anywhere as long as it abides by the rules. 

To Join:
You can no longer join the server.

Points of Interest:

• If you see something wrong either on the site or on the topic please let me know so I can fix it!
  • If you need help not just with the server but in general let me know, I'll do my best to assist!
  • If you want any tutorials made for Minecraft let me know and I'll give it a go.
  • If you want something made clearer let me know and I'll be happy to fix it!

Complaints:
If you have a complaint that is server related, please email Complaints.dorksanddorkettes.com
The complaint can be anything relating to the server, players, mods, gameplay, even about myself. Complaints will be taken as anonymous unless identity is required (just in case) and no user will be punished for making any complaint as long as it is relevant and not trolling.
You can also use this address for suggestions if you have them, which will be treated the same.

Donations are always welcome, and help to keep the server running:
To learn more about this just visit the Donations page.
Even $2 a month would be a huge help (I use dollars as that's what I pay in so it's a rounder number, but you can obviously donate in any currency).

Links:

Current Community City Suggestions:

• Undeground city

• Dwarven (I'll include it)
    • Advanced civilisations underground
    • Dystopian underground (fallout)
  • Floating city

• Flying rocks with city

• Roman/Greek Style
      • Medieval Style
    • Mechanical flying city
  • Roman/Greek style
  • Steampunk city
  • Disney Castle
  • Tree city
  • Archipelago city

• Venitian Style
    • Venetian/Roman “collision of cultures”
  • Futuristic style city (Coruscant style)
Please do keep them coming! I'll update this list as we go. This will be turned into a poll at later dates for open voting.

That's it for now, Happy building and may your pickaxe stay sharp.
~Longeye~

LukeHogbin

I think that PvP would work nicely limited to said arena only. Btw, what about creepers, do they cause structural damage?
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

The Sammy

Creepers WILL damage players, but will NOT damage blocks. When they blow up the land will vanish, but after a few seconds it will all reappear (faster depending on serverside lag). I'm not sure if I can limit PvP using the mods I have, and I'd rather avoid adding more mods unless necessary as it eats into player memory (meaning less players at a time, or lower speed for the players who are on). If there is no other way and that's the ruling vote then I'll find one quite quickly though :)
~Longeye~

LukeHogbin

As far as I can recall, World Guard allows defining zones with different rules. I wouldn't bet my life on it though.
I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.

Sorontar

The PvP Control Bukkit mod (http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/mech-pvp-control-v1-5-allows-players-to-control-if-they-can-be-attacked-627.1137/) allows players to turn their personal PvP setting on and off. You can't attack a player unless both of you have pvp on. By default, it is turned off. I have run various PvP gladatorial scenarios using this on my server. This is a simple way to get around not having PvP-defined areas, but also not having PvP everywhere.

Sorontar

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

The Sammy

Oooh, Sorontar that is perfect! Thanks so much for this, a few well placed signs by the coliseum and it'll be great :D
~Longeye~

Gunner Gregson

i would say avoid the mods, after all the group is friendly enough, and im sure we wont be going around swinging swords.
turn PVP on, a server that needs PVP mods is obviously not a friendly server.
i have not once thought about killing another player, although i was going to push Longeye off that tower for a laugh, but he did a good enough job doing that on his own.
the stargate mod is useful, but as for other mods i think it should be on a case by case basis, some will make the server better, others will just use memory for nothing.
does the permission system use memory? if yes then disable it completely, i think its linked too signs but i cant be sure, like Longeye says it doesnt appear to be doing anything except tell us who "owns" the area.
lava/TNT logging isnt a bad one, it beats having to write a warning each time.

GG
Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.

The Sammy

Quote from: Gunner Gregson on April 11, 2011, 12:39:41 PM
i have not once thought about killing another player, although i was going to push Longeye off that tower for a laugh, but he did a good enough job doing that on his own.
I knew I didn't fall on my own! Damn you ;)
Yeah the permissions system uses some memory, but only about 20mb, and it's a core part of bukkit so you either have it or nothing at all (and bukkit is doing a lot of work at the moment). If everyone thinks we'll be okay with PvP on then I'll be quite happy to give it a go?
~Longeye~

The Sammy

The Spawn 'Temple' is finished, if anyone has any ideas please do suggest them... Corsair, I did 'liberate' some dye of yours unfortunately, but I replaced it with the same amount but in a different colour... I hop you don't mind!
~Longeye~

The Sammy

Okay ladies and gentlemen, PvP is now turned on so watch where you swing those picks!
In other news I've had a request to install CraftBook on the server. The link (http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=62621) will tell you what it can do (thought you might have to go to the wiki and explore a bit). What do people think of this?
~Longeye~

Dr. makebot

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on April 15, 2011, 01:29:11 PM
In other news I've had a request to install CraftBook on the server. The link (http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=62621) will tell you what it can do (thought you might have to go to the wiki and explore a bit). What do people think of this?
~Longeye~

Looks Great to me.

Just another quick thing, I am planning a new submarine, this one will be my largest yet and will possibly become my new house. I am just posting this hear to check that on one has any complaints. the red circle is where the submarine will go (inside the low stone wall that is all ready there), the black circles are areas of sand that will be removed.
Spoiler: ShowHide
this to Longeye, I would like to use explosives to clear to sand banks as the area is quite large, Would this be all right? (if it is not I am more thank happy to clear the area by hand).

yes I am a mad scientist, now live with it.

walternator

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on April 15, 2011, 01:29:11 PM
Okay ladies and gentlemen, PvP is now turned on so watch where you swing those picks!
~Longeye~

looks good to me so you've got my vote
Technically it didn't blow up...

The Sammy

Well Dr. Makebot I see two small problems with your plan. I think that Corsair claimed that beach a while back for a big build, and I'm not sure if he is finished with it. If he is then to my own knowledge it's up for grabs. As far as TnT goes it won't work underwater, but if you use one block at a time (to prevent projectile TnT) then I see no serious reason against it's use on the land section. You just need to give a notice that you're about to detonate, and not do it when there are people near.
~Longeye~

Dr. makebot

Thanks for that Longeye, I have now modified the plan so neither the removal of the Land or TNT are needed. thank you anyway, I didn't know TNT couldn't explode in water.

The Sammy

Gentlemen the crafting mod is installed, see the OP for the information on it.
~Longeye~

The Corsair

Makebot, that submarine will end up in my beach (I haven't extended the walls to the whole thing yet) so can you make it somewhere else please?
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Gunner Gregson

i was out exploring today and stumbled across an abandoned Galleon, looking around it appears deserted, a teleportation gate has been built to mark its location.

after continued searching i found a couple locations, one that caught my eye was 'Pirate Stash', on further inspection i found vast amounts of treasure, but as i began to loot the area, a ghostly voice whispered something about curses and Captain Brassbeard, i quickly replaced the items and the whispering stopped, i beg you please do not attempt to remove these items.

seeing as the boat looks unused and abandoned, i see no reason we cant use it for our own means.

GG
Ananias S. Wildwire at your service, for a price of course.

The Corsair

Still here, just quieter

Dr. makebot

Quote from: The Corsair on April 16, 2011, 12:02:16 AM
Makebot, that submarine will end up in my beach (I haven't extended the walls to the whole thing yet) so can you make it somewhere else please?

My apologies, I shall remove it forthwith.

The Sammy

Quote from: The Corsair on April 16, 2011, 07:02:25 AM
http://www.modsforminecraft.com/

It adds planes...
I can build a hangar!
Love it, and the portal mod, but it's not bukkit compatible. If they get badgered into making a bukkit version I'll add it in no time, but for now I can't. Sorry!
~Longeye~

Screaming Lord Pea Green

Quote from: Augustus Longeye on April 16, 2011, 06:18:58 PM
Love it, and the portal mod, but it's not bukkit compatible. If they get badgered into making a bukkit version I'll add it in no time, but for now I can't. Sorry!
~Longeye~

Shame that, would love to have seen the biplanes zipping around that huge Dirigible. :)

Also, I'd like to put my vote forward for the craftbook thingy-ma-jig. looks useful...
While I'm here...anyone object to me building the following projects:
1) Area 51
2) An underwater lair
3) Floaty Island of Death
4) Galleon/Pirate ship
All above projects would have to be outside current city walls with the exception of the Floaty Island of Death, which could just float above, casting disdainful looks upon the mere ground dwellers below.
The Moral High Gound - A great place to position Artillery.

The Sammy

As would I my good man, as would I! I'll pester them and see what I can do. On another note though the OP has been updated with a few cool things!
~Longeye~

walternator

Quote from: Screaming Lord Pea Green on April 16, 2011, 08:56:32 PM
While I'm here...anyone object to me building the following projects:
1) Area 51
2) An underwater lair
4) Galleon/Pirate ship
All above projects would have to be outside current city walls with the exception of the Floaty Island of Death, which could just float above, casting disdainful looks upon the mere ground dwellers below.

I've not got any objections to any of these...
...i think someone may have beat you to it though with the Pirate Ship
Technically it didn't blow up...

The Sammy

Quote from: Screaming Lord Pea Green on April 16, 2011, 08:56:32 PM
1) Area 51
2) An underwater lair
4) Galleon/Pirate ship
1) How do you mean? I don't have any problem per say, but UFO's and things might look a bit odd if they're in the air or what-have-you.
2) No problem with this, we could do with one...
3) This might be a problem, having it squatting over the city blocks a lot of light (we have mob trouble as it is) but if you did it 'technically correct' with something keeping it up then I don't see anything wrong with it outside the walls (or over a forest or something)
4) Thanks to the efforts of Gregson we already have a rather amazing galleon sitting in the ocean, you can gate to it.
~Longeye~

The Corsair

So long as the floaty island isn't over the city or any other structure then go for it. Why not build it over the desert behind the temple?
Still here, just quieter