News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

A Collective Thread for All Them Guns Pt. II

Started by Herr Döktor, April 25, 2011, 05:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ginny Blundy

Quote from: professor rubbertoe on July 19, 2011, 06:25:00 AM
Alas, there are no fluids in my rayguns. There was an experiment involving the BBBB raygun and fluids, but it kept leaving, um sticky messes everywhere. Ahem. The tubes are made of hand-cast resin with green LED's in them. There is a full spec of each gun describing all the materials used if you click on the individual pictures on the 'rayguns' heading on the website, check it out;

www.rubbertoerayguns.com

Thanks for the link! Very good stuff! Always nice to get a little insight into what's going on, especially for those of us who are new to crazy things like soldering and resistors and such.  ;)
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

Otto Von Pifka

I made some progress on my nerf lewis gun. about halfway there.

its going to need a bracket to hold it together at the drum, the extra weight at the front is murder on the hinge.

Engineer

Quote from: Astalo on July 14, 2011, 09:49:18 PM
This in my new set of miniature rayguns from brass, copper and silver.

You get the real scale from this picture:

More info from that original thread.. http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,30530.0.html

Great idea and nicely done. The only word I can think of to describe them is "cute" - which feels somehow wrong for a raygun!

Engineer

Quote from: professor rubbertoe on July 18, 2011, 06:07:14 PM

Nice work Professor Rubbertoe. I really do like the use of LEDs with coloured resin (its got me thinking for future projects ...). In addition to the guns, the set of ion equipment on your website is particularly nice.

D.Oakes

What can I say, I like my antiques:  Belgian 1889 Mauser...some genius in the fairly distant past had already converted it over to being a hunting rifle.  
"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler

barb dwyer

I was browsing through the first edition of this thread...

...ok.
I wasn't exactly browsing
as much as I was studying
the first edition of this thread.

Herr Doktor,
could you at some time
post a link to other works?
That '57 chevy - looking ray gun of yours
stole my heart
and fired my imagination!

I can't remember your name for it,
and now cannot find the link to the page
but I loved it the moment I saw it.
Perhaps I'm the only one here who hasn't seen
your creations?
I'd love to view more, at your convenience.
*Relentless Optimystic *

Rushing's Rarities

Hey all, I'd like to introduce "The Goldfinch" She's a raygun (OOAK) built from brass and wood lamp parts as well as the rewired internal workings of a cheap LED raygun toy. She's a bit quiet due to the casing blocking a lot of the sound from the speaker but all in all I'm quite proud of her. Finished a couple months back I'm just now getting to posting her (due to sheer laziness).

Spoiler: ShowHide

The Goldfinch (steampunk raygun)

Herr Döktor

Quote from: barb dwyer on July 22, 2011, 12:30:21 AM
I was browsing through the first edition of this thread...

...ok.
I wasn't exactly browsing
as much as I was studying
the first edition of this thread.

Herr Doktor,
could you at some time
post a link to other works?
That '57 chevy - looking ray gun of yours
stole my heart
and fired my imagination!

I can't remember your name for it,
and now cannot find the link to the page
but I loved it the moment I saw it.
Perhaps I'm the only one here who hasn't seen
your creations?
I'd love to view more, at your convenience.

This one?

More here: http://mmg.photobucket.com/albums/the_DOCTOR/SV%20gun/?pbauth=1_uLEBonVPfaLdh1h3YMYz2QtwWHOTuosIFx728y9QW9BOBYFDlNs1mUoJ%2FSS9d5EsDgQi8cK%2Fxl72A%2FrbtnqybiwQJmvKDu007oztP4PzTtwV7HweaBmnr6%2FJQVFl8JNVNb6G05t%2F9Uc2bXPFl%2F8e6eHIspj9UmiDyT90KvInKmg%3D if the link works from mobile...

It was so nearly an actual 'product' too...

maduncle

Well there's a couple of stunning guns (pun intended).

H.D. - when did you knock the Flashy Gordonish gun up? I don't recall seeing that little finned Eames inspired beauty before. Very 'Westinghouse' in style.

And Superbill22, well done sir! That is a true genius gun, made in my all time favourite found brass and wood style - love it!

As for my contribution - well I am knee deep in modifying a Weta Workshop Righteous Bison for the RPF competition. I have decided to do internal additions - as opposed to external additions, so I am adding an engine under the hood.

I need to have this all finished and photographed by August 30, and with an imminent departure for Kenya and some weeks work in a distant refugee camp looming over me - I probably need to finish it this weekend!
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

Herr Döktor

The art deco raygun was made, ooh, five years ago, for a figure and collectible range called 'Space Vixens', but it didn't go any further then one statue and some prototypes.

:(

Nice work on the Bison, no idea what I'll do with mine, or when I'll find the time to do it!

Bloody deadlines!

;)

markf

Just a cautionary note to nerfers (not a Star Wars reference) - don't do drive by shootings with your nerf assault rifle, at least not at construction workers in Quincy, Massachusetts.  markf

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/21/nerf-gun-assault-leads-to-man-being-run-over-by-car/
US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

barb dwyer

Markf - that's terrible!
Irresponsible weapons behavior is a particular peeve of mine.

Herr Doktor -
I happen to LOVE the line in that piece.

I'll have you know I spent well over two HOURS
searching for that photo yesterday
(yes, a bit obsessive but alas it is my burden)

However, having had my share of projects
that didn't make their fruition;
I'll not dwell on it.

My compliments on your work, and my thanks for the link.

*Relentless Optimystic *

Engineer

I finally finished my first raygun.

Presenting the Arioch Industries V500 'Vulcan' :

and a WIP shot of the original £1 water pistol before final detailing and painting:

Puck

Hi everyone. I'm working on a gun right now, although truth be told it's not have as quality as some of the things I've seen on here.

The gun was originally given to me as a gift by someone I no longer associate with, having already been spray painted bronze and cog pieces glued on. There was this stupid looking rope tied around it as well, so I tore that off.

I painted on the gold and silver as well as antiqued it with bits of black and brown.

It's not much, and not an inch as amazing as most of the stuff here, but it's my first go.

I feel like it's not finished, though.

Would someone with more experience suggest to me what I could add on to make it steamier, and feel as though I've actually done something?

Thanks. :)
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
~ Oscar Wilde

Rushing's Rarities

Quote from: maduncle on July 22, 2011, 10:31:17 AM
And Superbill22, well done sir! That is a true genius gun, made in my all time favourite found brass and wood style - love it!

Thank you so much, what an incredible compliment!

Drew P

Holy Snappin' expletives, Engineer! That's one helluva fantastic paintjob :o :o Sooo cleanly done.
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Rushing's Rarities

Quote from: Puck on July 22, 2011, 09:26:02 PM
suggest to me what I could add on to make it steamier, and feel as though I've actually done something?

It's looking pretty fantastic to me thus far, you should be quite proud of it. I don't know that it needs to look much "steamier" though I can offer my humble suggestions; if it were my gun, and this is just personal preference, I might doctor up the larger gear on the side a bit as it seems somewhat plain. Otherwise, I wouldn't do much. You may consider adding the smallest bit of matte turquoise colored paint in seams and things to give it an oxidized copper look as it appears to be a copper color and seems to look a bit antiqued in the color scheme.

As I said. It's looking quite good, and could be considered finished if you feel like it is.

barb dwyer

Hi, Puck -

Might I suggest something in that large gear thingy?
Like ... a pressure gauge or something?
That's quite steamy.

And a dabbing with some darker color paint
(or continuing with the copper color
on the hose part of the gun?
I'm thinking it'd match up the continuity of the piece.

You also might consider
wrapping part of the barrel
with copper wire or (if you can) tubing.

Just playing around with shapes, mind you.
*Relentless Optimystic *

barb dwyer

PS-

MadUncle - I love yours so far!

Engineer - lovely job!

Now I'm really sketching on mine....

I've got an idea along the lines of one I found on YouTube....

Deep 6 Vaporator

well, it's an idea for a combination type piece

INSPIRED BY this,
and by the Good Doktor's lovely work.

*Relentless Optimystic *

C20710

So...I'm not the kind of person that builds stuff. Or knows how to build stuff. Or knows the names of the tools people use to build stuff.

I figured I might try modding a Nerf Maverick, since I'm a sucker for the overdone. My parents are on vacation and I agreed to house-sit while they're away (yay free rent), and that gave me access to dad's garage, which contains more materials and tools then I will ever know what to do with in my whole life. So I wandered in and started making friends with whatever I could find within...

I did have a starting point though. I work for the city water department and we're scrapping lots of Neptune water meters...the register heads are full of steampunk candy, and using just one of them gave me all the gears you can see, plus all the wrapped wire "plugs" and the bracket which makes up the gear assembly in front of the trigger.

After hours of guess work, experimentation, and reworking parts, I came up with what you see below. I think it's not bad considering almost every part was created by a guy who started with absolutely no experience whatsoever painting or using tools. It's still got some issues...I learned a bit about what doesn't work when painting and gluing (especially in combination). I already bought my next one...I can't resist the urge to try to do a better job (and I've already relieved our meter room inventory of it's surplus registers).

(are the pictures too big? I can spoiler them if need be...)

Puck

Quote from: superbill22 on July 22, 2011, 10:01:36 PM
Quote from: Puck on July 22, 2011, 09:26:02 PM
suggest to me what I could add on to make it steamier, and feel as though I've actually done something?

It's looking pretty fantastic to me thus far, you should be quite proud of it. I don't know that it needs to look much "steamier" though I can offer my humble suggestions; if it were my gun, and this is just personal preference, I might doctor up the larger gear on the side a bit as it seems somewhat plain. Otherwise, I wouldn't do much. You may consider adding the smallest bit of matte turquoise colored paint in seams and things to give it an oxidized copper look as it appears to be a copper color and seems to look a bit antiqued in the color scheme.

As I said. It's looking quite good, and could be considered finished if you feel like it is.

Quote from: barb dwyer on July 22, 2011, 10:50:53 PM
Hi, Puck -

Might I suggest something in that large gear thingy?
Like ... a pressure gauge or something?
That's quite steamy.

And a dabbing with some darker color paint
(or continuing with the copper color
on the hose part of the gun?
I'm thinking it'd match up the continuity of the piece.

You also might consider
wrapping part of the barrel
with copper wire or (if you can) tubing.

Just playing around with shapes, mind you.
Thanks, everyone.

I agree that the larger gear is missing something, but I'm not sure what to put there. I agree with barb, that a pressure gauge would look great... if I can find one, that is.

And yes, I probably should make the hose look a bit more beaten. Didn't consider that... how nifty an extra set of eyes can be!

The turquoise sounds like it would look really cool, but I don't have any paintbrushes small enough not to smudge everything. :(
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."
~ Oscar Wilde

barb dwyer

C20710 -

Congratulations! Excellent and amazing first try.
*Relentless Optimystic *

Pheerless

Not very big on words, here is my first Steamy/Ray Gun build attempt. I'm considering calling it a Pin Point Ionized Gas Projectorator or something to that effect, lol...first post FTW I suppose.

From this...

To this...

Questions and comments welcome.

modelmanjohn

Nice use of the plasma ball there! Well done.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.