News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Temporal Anomaly Hunters

Started by augur, September 14, 2011, 12:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

augur

Greetings fellow hunters. I am an agent of the Home Office, seeking factual information about the temporal anomalies that abound throughout the world, and in particular those that occur within my local vicinity.

Temporal Anomaly Hunters are tasked with locating eddies in the time-space continuum at given co-ordinates, as advised by the Home Office. We then report our finds back to the Home Office, where the scientists compile the data on their Difference Engines in the hope of isolating the cause of these earthquakes in time.

Occasionally, objects may pass through an anomaly and enter our plane of existence. When this happens it is our responsibility to deal with the object prudently and inconspicuously, so as to not alarm the general public.

The role of the Temporal Anomaly Hunters is vital to the security of our planet. This metaphysical group is a place for hunters all over the world to discuss their operations, to suggest ideas for hunting for these tears in the fabric of time-space in steampunk costume without panicing the public, and to discuss objects found and sent through anomalies. Feel free to post links to your agent profile and to your individual logs as you locate anomalies.
Post licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand. Please quote this post with proper attribution.

Kasim Kemal

Just passing through.
Can you please tell me what the correct time is?
دولت ابد مدت

augur

Quote from: Kasim Kemal on September 14, 2011, 12:47:40 AMCan you please tell me what the correct time is?
Certainly, I can tell you the correct time. But in order to do so I would first need to know where exactly you are and what your current state is, as time is relative, and it depends on an observational reference frame tied to the state of motion of the observer. Thus I would also need to locate myself precisely and account for the geometric differential between your fixed position and my own, and then factor in for each of us our velocity and acceleration. Of course, by the time we have completed all these calculations, the resultant data set would be obsolete anyway.
Post licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 New Zealand. Please quote this post with proper attribution.

MWBailey

I believe that if one could find the eminent Professor Bear(the Nullologist), one might be able to solve this particular conundrum relatively quickly...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Cubinoid

Ah, sorry. Wrong door.
I occasionally shoot foxes and mistook this for the Temporary Animal-y Hunters.

They usually start at eight, but it's half past and no-one has materialised yet.
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Arabella Periscope

Sir,

I believe I may have located a temporal anomaly, but it is not spatial -- that is to say, what are the criteria?  This present-time incongruity is located on the second floor of a small and shabby building dated 1906.  The first floor being a modern mercantile outlet.  Yet looking up at the windows from the pavement outside . . . It is difficult to determine, the dust, and the reflections, but . . . Is it always the case that such an anomaly is connected to the earth?

Yours,

An Earnest Amateur
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Arabella Periscope

PS

There is now a small terrier at the window, of the type kept by the soldiers in British India.  Can a live creature enter through a spatial/temporal anomaly?  How should it be dealt with? It is barking soundlessly...
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

There is a temporal anomaly somewhere in North London near the Northern Line Underground track. Trains announced as being only 1 Minute away take in fact several minutes to reach the station, if they reach it at all.

Clearly there is a temporal anomaly causing a time dilation effect, what is a minute to the train driver is in fact 10 minutes to the objective observer.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

Cubinoid

It appears to be affecting the bus stop at Worcester Park as well.
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Camellia Wingnut

Dear Sir,
I perused your Temporal anomaly post with a modest flutter of excitement beneath a certain structure of whalebone.
Having entered the present through such an anomalous portal I have taken up the profession of historian in order to more fully investigate the mysteries of time. As all scholars know, world history can be made sense of only with the help of a theory such as yours.
In the course of my rather prolonged lifetime, I have acquired a collection of objects which have in common their temporally anomalous origins. I should like to ask your correspondents whether they can identify some of these, i.e.;
      a) A camel saddle, with a cruciform pommel, woodworm, and what appears to be either a bloodstain or a teastain on the leather - and it is hard to say which would be more sinister;
      b) A candlestick telephone which operates without being plugged in, and which appears to transmit messages in an unknown language - Indo-european root? - from Beyond?
      c) A parasol of tattered lace which makes any lady who stands beneath it enchantingly (and alas! temporarily) pretty;
      d) A wooden statue of a Lama, with one arm sawn off and a small house sparrow sitting on its pointed hat.
Daguerrotypes of each available upon request.
C. W.

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .

Oneiros

Quote from: augur on September 14, 2011, 12:34:31 AM

Greetings fellow hunters. I am an agent of the Home Office, seeking factual information about the temporal anomalies that abound throughout the world, and in particular those that occur within my local vicinity.

Temporal Anomaly Hunters are tasked with locating eddies in the time-space continuum at given co-ordinates, as advised by the Home Office. We then report our finds back to the Home Office, where the scientists compile the data on their Difference Engines in the hope of isolating the cause of these earthquakes in time.

Occasionally, objects may pass through an anomaly and enter our plane of existence. When this happens it is our responsibility to deal with the object prudently and inconspicuously, so as to not alarm the general public.

The role of the Temporal Anomaly Hunters is vital to the security of our planet. This metaphysical group is a place for hunters all over the world to discuss their operations, to suggest ideas for hunting for these tears in the fabric of time-space in steampunk costume without panicing the public, and to discuss objects found and sent through anomalies. Feel free to post links to your agent profile and to your individual logs as you locate anomalies.

So far, under the auspics of my Parrot, Paxo. I have discovered and catalogued 143 such anomalies.
What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells

Camellia Wingnut

Dear Sir,
Regarding my earlier remarks in re temporally transported objects. I find upon reviewing your post that I had overlooked the prospect of DANGER emanating from those in my possession. I have had to resort to sal volatile in order to feel equal to confronting them.
Have you any advice upon methods of containment? Perhaps there are other objects which could be juxtaposed and neutralize a threat?
Please consult the relevant Home Office files.
The camel saddle is particularly menacing. Oh, dear. It moved! Ugh! It spat!
How does one treat bombazine marred by camel spit?
I must consult Inquire Within About Everything (Google Free E-book).
Excuse me, gentlemen.
CW
Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .

Tiberius Montgomery Pratt

I found this vortex inside a bus terminal locker at Union Station, in Arkham, Massachusetts

Dose that count as a Temporal Anomaly ?

MWBailey

was the locker installed by a technician named David Jones?

greatestescaper

ANOMALY REPORT [stop] DAVIS MOUNTAIN RANGE [stop] ON THIS NIGHT FEB 15 1872 [stop] THIS MORNING WAS FEB 15 2012 [stop] CARS VANISH ROUTE 118 N [stop] APACHES SEEN ON ROUTE 118 [stop] REQUEST ORDERS OF RESPONSE=  GREATESTESCAPER [end]
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Arabella Periscope

STAND BY - STOP - SUGGEST HANG ON TO HAT - STOP - AWAIT FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS HEAD OFFICE!

greatestescaper

NO CAR [stop] AFRAID TO DRIVE [stop] WALKED THROUGH 3 CENTURIES [stop] DATE NOW FEB 16 1923 = GREATESTESCAPER [end]
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

Oneiros

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells

BB BlackDog

Dam blast and Bugger.
Thought I'd still be here.
I'll come back earlier.
Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU

MWBailey

Do as you like, I'll never be here, every tuesday at eleven in the afternoon. With spats on. 

Crescat Scientia

Tremendous pity about the king, what?  Still, the news from Churchill about the Bomb is quite frightfully exciting.  But poor little Elizabeth, what sort of a queen d'you think she'll be?  And tea, oh thank goodness it's not rationed any more.  But, er, do stay out of London this holiday shopping season.  Word to the wise.

I say, is this not, er ... (consults newsmagazine) 1952? 

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying

Lucius Baxter

1952? I thought it was 1926... Drat... But I do believe that there may be an anomaly somewhere along the 58 bus route.  The buses sometimes don't turn up until 20 minutes after they were meant to come... and sometimes they all come together at once.
2nd lieutenant in his majesty's Royal Flying Corps

Kittybriton

Quote from: Mr Peter Harrow, Esq on January 23, 2012, 03:00:47 PM
There is a temporal anomaly somewhere in North London near the Northern Line Underground track. Trains announced as being only 1 Minute away take in fact several minutes to reach the station, if they reach it at all.

Clearly there is a temporal anomaly causing a time dilation effect, what is a minute to the train driver is in fact 10 minutes to the objective observer.

Has anyone else experienced this phenomena?

What you describe  is so common in  households  shared by the sexes that  the phenomenon is often overlooked, the typical instance being  the lady who  spends five minutes in the bathroom  while her gentleman companion observes the passage of an hour as he waits without.

Of  particular interest to me are the "out-of-place" artefacts  that pose perplexing problems for  the archaeologist, for example,  a gold chain embedded in  a piece  of otherwise unremarkable coal.

And I should also like to draw attention of the members to the following fragment, which I collected during my travels:
Join me in exploring the music of time!
(http://kittybriton.multiply.com/journal

MWBailey

Yes, well, that Bede was always a wily fellow...

Nikola Tesla

Maybe I shouldn't come in here, now that I think about it...

*checks dates on his own last two posts*

Yep, it seems to have happened again.  Should I be here or shouldn't I be?
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.