News:

We're back online! If you encounter any issues using the forum, please file a report in the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Steve Jobs is Dead

Started by Lazaras, October 06, 2011, 12:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazaras

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/10/06/steve_jobs_is_dead/

While I knew he had cancer it's still a surprise. I'd always figured the man too stubborn to die.

He helped to craft the world we live in and changed things time and again first with the Apple ][ then with the Mac, then again and again when he took control of Apple again.

He did not do these things alone, and I have issue with his managment style and some of his rhetoric over the years. However I will not begrudge the man his success.

Leave ye your partisanism aside please, for decency's sake.

Has anyone anything they wish to say?
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

HAC

far too early.. May not have always agreed with him, but he was a world changer..

"Requiem æternam dona ei, et lux perpetua luceat ei Domine"

Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

lilibat

My husband is an iOS dev, my dad died of a different cancer, so it's hitting this house pretty hard.

TVC15

Thank you Steve for what you gave us and may you rest in peace.
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...

ForestB

RIP Steve Jobs... He changed the world...
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

psn1der

The Corsair

Quote from: psn1der on October 06, 2011, 02:53:45 AM
Just so sad...56.

That's the part that gets me too. He could have offered a lot more to the world.

Still, what he did give us is amazing and has now solidly revolutionised the information age once more.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Fairley B. Strange

The new Apple tombstone:

the iDied

(Yes, it's probably too early to be completely tasteful, but what else will the company invent now without his vision?)
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Xenos

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on October 06, 2011, 03:53:17 AM
The new Apple tombstone:

the iDied

(Yes, it's probably too early to be completely tasteful, but what else will the company invent now without his vision?)

More importantly, what will Microsoft do without him to rip off?
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

The Corsair

Quote from: Xenos on October 06, 2011, 04:01:07 AM
The new Apple tombstone:

the iDied

Copy Linux
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

aligov

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary." Steve Jobs.

words to live your life by.

R.I.P

rovingjack

most of my family and extended family have been Mac supporters for a very long time (technically we came to mac, from apple 2gs) admittedly he had somethings that we may prefer to ignore about him but cripes Tesla loved a bird of the feathered variety as a wife.

He created things with the mind of a visionary, and the things he didn't create were often things whose original creators thought were useless, he gave them not only use but used them to change the world (graphic interface OS and the mouse were created by xerox, who pretty much saw it as a novelty and never developed it any farther than a demo model).

so I respect the man and feel that this was a horrible time for him to go (i'm sorry, so so sorry... puns are sort of defense for me a gifts I give to others). The Country needs Jobs right now.  :-[
I'll leave.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

steampunkrusski

Quote from: The Corsair on October 06, 2011, 04:40:02 AM
Quote from: Xenos on October 06, 2011, 04:01:07 AM
The new Apple tombstone:

the iDied

Copy Linux

- too late
- linux is open sourced >,>

still RIP Jobs.
menya zovut Dominik Xavier Tagiov. :) Pleasure to meet you.

bicyclebuilder

The new Apple tombstone:

the iDied

It is too soon, but that doesn't make it less funny. ;D
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

Captain Reech

Very sad, an inventor, an innovator and a pioneer has left us.
"I didn't 'Blow it up' I 'Modified the way it works' OK?"

The Sammy

Whilst I didn't agree with a lot of what he did, he certainly left behind a legacy... and in the end, what more can a man ask for?
~Longeye~

Lettie

It was Apple that taught me that functional can also be beautiful.

I'll echo other people's thoughts in saying that the world has lost a visionary. RIP.

markf

It also shows Steve and the Woz, just a couple of bright inventors, can start a company in a classic tinkerer's garage with this ....

.... then build a working but not ready for prime time prototype for a future leading edge product ...

... which finally gets them to the point of creating a commercial product ...

... which leads them to change the IT world. markf
US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd

Dorian Ambrose

Not a moment to soon. Most likely OD'ed on smugness.

All he has ever really done, is steal ideas from various linux systems, remove all the things that worked and wrap them in cheap white plastic.

I must admit, however, that I have always had great respect for his ability to continuously sell outdated technology, at 3-4 times the price of state of the art technology.He was truly a marketing genius.

bicyclebuilder

He seems to have been the modern day Edison.
Buying, borrowing, stealing from others, make it more eccesable and sell it by the dozen. Although both have done their share of research, brain work and hands on work, they both will be remembered by their dark side.

RIP Steve Jobs.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

elShoggotho

To whom it may concern: If you wish to troll, go to 4chan. Keep it respectful.

Lazaras

The modern Edison. Apt comparison really and as most have echoed, not an entirely kind label. However even Edison had his genuinely favorable qualities. Sure Steve didn't invent (I think that was Woz's department) but he did market, he demanded polish. He made sure the products he sold would appeal and hit the 'I WANT THAT' button in the brain.

See it isn't all about making the best or most capible of systems since if you could have that and it still look like something sitting on a hobby bench nobody will want to buy it but the tinkerers. His push to see Apple ][ in schools was a stroke of genius really. Have many kids first exposure to computers be on an Apple.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Capt. Dirigible

I know very little about Steve Jobs (and what he achieved and how he did it) except that he founded Apple.

I do know this though..my brother died of cancer three years ago aged 53...Steve jobs was 56. It doesn't matter  how big a bastard some people think he was as a business man...56 is no age to die. My sympathies go out to his family.
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Jusuchin

He was a visionary that changed how people thought of technology. His products were 'meh' and I've never had a mac I didn't want to toss into a wall. But he helped change things.

Sad to see such a man go at an early age. I'll keep using his competitor's products because I get better support instead of "go to apple store -> wait 4 hours -> buy a new system".

Professor Ross

I didn't really care for Apple products, but Steve Jobs was a genius and his death is a great loss.
Homo sum humani nihil a me alienum puto.