News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Not So Secret Society

Started by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz, October 07, 2011, 01:38:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evelyn Adler

It really IS bigger inside than out, isn't it?
I wonder what this red, blinking button does... this one, that says "DO NOT PRESS!"
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

Lady Chrystal

Oh, that one? It just makes a rude noise when you press it.

The one to be worried about is that big lever on the wall. Whatever you do, don't pull that one down.
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Cubinoid

*Takes a step away from the lever guiltily.

"Hmm...that ticking has gone away. Perhaps it wasn't the parcel that was ticking, but the screwdriver?"

*Unwraps the parcel...

"Ah here we are. It is the fabled Lock Ness! Okay, we need key holders! Volunteers?"
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

Evelyn Adler

Ooooh! Kinky locks?
*cough*
I mean... I'm able to hold a key, if the occasion calls for it...
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

Private Weasel

Chaps, Ms Adler? I don't want to concern you, but you but it seems that Mr Wells has been shot, simply by trying to inform you that "The Postman" was the moniker for none other than...

*A shot rings out and Private Weasel falls to the ground neatly next to Mercury Wells*

Lady Chrystal

Happy to help out, Cubinoid.

Here - I'll fix one on my chatelaine.
"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."

Evelyn Adler

OH MY COGS!!!
*runs over to where Private Weasel and Mercury Wells lie on the ground*
He's been shot!! We need a doctor!! HELP!

Private Weasel

It... it's okay. Don't worry.  As luck would have it, I carry upon my person, my lucky cigar case in my breast pocket.  The must have deflected the bullet, the ricochet flew off in... oh wait; I've left it in my overcoat.

*urk*

Evelyn Adler

*prods the prone Private Weasel with her finger*
Hello?
Sir?

*poke*

OH NO!!!
I think he's really dead this time!
But if he's been shot, where's the bullet hole?

*shouts* HEY! I need some help over here, if it is not too much trouble!

walkthebassline

*Hurries over, cigar case in hand*

Here, use this first aid kit. Don't worry, the box is just a disguise. As are the top layer of cigars. Now, what of Mr. Wells?

*Pulls out sonic screwdriver*

Oh dear! It would appear that the late Mr. Wells is actually a clockwork machine! Here, lets see what we can do...

*screwdriver buzzes*

There now Mr. Wells. Do you feel any better?
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Evelyn Adler

*looking doubtfully from the cigar case to Private Weasel and back*

Do you think he might be clockwork too? I don't see any wounds!

walkthebassline

*scans with screwdriver*

By Cthulhu he is! What is going on here?!
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Evelyn Adler

Are you quite sure that thing works right? *points to sonic screwdriver*
He doesn't look like an automaton, not at all!

*bows down to Private Weasel and puts her head on his chest to listen for a heartbeat*

walkthebassline

*smacks screwdriver against the floor twice*

Ah, my mistake. It was still set for Alpha-Centauri. Here, this should be better. Woops, I was wrong about the Private. He appears to be an alien. Looks like the bullet is still inside him but the wound has closed. Any ideas?

~ David St. Hubbins

Private Weasel

With a gentle cough, the Private comes around, his eyes fluttering open, perfectly emulating the actions of a proud British soldier.

"I'm pretty sure I am an automaton Sir" he admits climbing to his feet, somewhat apologietically.

"I am dreadfully sorry, but my punch cards have been misaligned.  Could you open my service hatch pull my factory reset level?"

Thankfully, now it is brought to your attention, the shiny brass buttons on the back of his bright red uniform seem to be the head of screws to open a panel on the back of the Private, revealing a complicated difference engine and a plethora of punch cards that spilled out across the floor.

They're probably important.

Probably

Evelyn Adler

*withdraws from the Private with a surprised shriek and lands rather ungainly on the floor on her posterior*

Oooops!
You REALLY are....? But, but, but.... *stutters*

walkthebassline

*backs away suspiciously*

That is most disconcerting. Something is not quite right about all this.

~ David St. Hubbins

Evelyn Adler

But look! He's lost all his cards!

*crawls on the floor and starts picking up punch cards*

Private Weasel

"Do not be alarmed" says the Private, his robotic innards alarming visible, "I am not the Private, merely a facsimile here to <PUNCH CARD NOT FOUND>"

"It is in my primary programming to <PUNCH CARD NOT FOUND> all humans"

He looks at you expectantly and hopefully glances at the punch cards, still spilling onto the floor.

walkthebassline

*joins in gathering punch cards*

Lets get you working again; I'd imagine there will be some questions about all this.

~ David St. Hubbins

Evelyn Adler

I just hope he's harmless.
*eyes the automaton suspiciously*
He looks harmless...

But then again, he looks exactly like the Private, and he... oh nevermind...
*blushes inexplicably and hectically goes on with gathering cards*

walkthebassline

*looks up from the inner workings of the Private's doppelganger*

My dear lady, are you becoming hysterical? Do try to contain yourself.

~ David St. Hubbins

Cubinoid

*Has been quietly busy with a hole punch whilst sat cross legged on the floor*

"Here, I've got a little experience in this. Try this one. Just insert it into the hole there..."

*Hands over a card that is so full of holes it looks like a doilie.*

Spoiler: ShowHide

*Backs slowly away*
We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:

walkthebassline

*inserts card and backs away as well*

Madam Adler, you may want to retire to a safer distance.

~ David St. Hubbins

Angus A Fitziron

has anybody any idea of what it might do?
Airship Artificer, part-time romantik and amateur Natural Philosopher

"wee all here are much troubled with the loss of poor Thompson & Sutton"