News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

Portrayal Artwork Thread

Started by MWBailey, January 11, 2012, 09:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MWBailey

Stella suggested a map of things on board the ship, so here's a portrait of her first, from which I'll work up a sort of 3d -ish map in a little while (pardon the teensy pic, I'll try to make the map larger than that):

The bridge with its outside obs deck, the forward maxims, port forward rocket tube, and the portside  2-pounder (or was it 4-pounder?) gun deck in casemated half-turrets (both the forward rocket tubes and the gun deck have starboard counterparts; a stern rocket tube exists but is not shown) are shown, as well as the 'landing deck' aft, and the topside obs deck that Pvt. Weasel mentioned. Historically, the RL British admiralty were still obsessed with masts and flying the Jack from them in the 1880s, so I included one here on the Marigold.

Smoke and excess vapors are expelled via a stack built into the dorsal tailfin. That's not a jet engine, but rather a 'ducted' fan powered by the steam plant within the envelope; I imagine at least two, if not three such devices, all powered by the same engine(s), each with variable rpm control afforded by special gearing (thus making it possible to steer and maneuver both by control surface and by variable thrust, in addition to ballasting and cell pressure). I have a thing for deck guns, so the topside obs deck has two small ones; I would imagine that there would be a centralized ammo elevator somewhere toward the middle of the deck.

I just now realized, this bears a slight resemblance to the St. Elmo, from Realms of Aether...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Stella Gaslight

That looks so neat.  I wish I could draw more than just cartoon squids well.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

MWBailey

Thanks, it's just a quick-n-dirty pen over pencil rough; I was thinking I might also use it as master for a graphite transfer for an undersketch (*counts on fingers*) for a painting.

Evelyn Adler

Any chance of a larger copy of that? If you don't have webspace of your own, send it to me via e-mail and I'll put in on my Flickr.  :)
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

The Corsair

Anyone reckon they could add some colour? I wouldn't mind printing myself a poster of this...
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

MWBailey

First let me post the map and see if I can get it into a big format...

clicking on the thumbnail should result in a GIGANTIC pic ;)

Evelyn Adler

Oh WOW!!! This is beautiful! I love it!  :)
Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)

MWBailey

I'll see about coloring the portrait like a coloring page over the next couple of days, see if I can make it  presentable; the painting'll take a bit longer, as I need to replenish a couple of colors in my paint kit, get a new tub of acrylic medium, etc.

The Corsair

Still here, just quieter

walkthebassline

I love it! So great to actually see it!
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

MWBailey

MWBailey

OK, here goes with a 'coloring-page' rendition. hopefully it makes a big pic as well...

Hmmm...

Ick. Need to redo some inking on that, looks like...

MWBailey

Ahhh... Much better...

amazing what a little ink'll do...

Evelyn Adler

I think I must find someone with a plotter, then I can print it and hang it on my wall! :)
(This house needs more pictures of airships anyway! And air kraken!)

MWBailey

Quote from: Evelyn Adler on January 14, 2012, 09:17:31 PM
I think I must find someone with a plotter, then I can print it and hang it on my wall! :)
(This house needs more pictures of airships anyway! And air kraken!)

Fine by me... ;)

Evelyn Adler

MWBailey

Post Your Roleplay Artwork in this Thread.

Cutaway Map of HMAS Marigold

Colored Portrait of HMAS Marigold

There're bound to be other folks with their own artwork to contribute. ;)

MWBailey

A latter-day rendition of the RTAF St. Elmo from the Sequel to Steam London, entitled Realms of Aether.

Acrylics on 8 x 10 el cheapo canvassed and gessoed cardboard (standard art supply stuff).

The St. Elmo in the Tropics

MWBailey

The Russian Ship of the line
RAS Fyodor Apraksin, run aground and destroyed in the foothills
of the Caucasus Mountains along with the frigate RAS Potemkin

MWBailey

From Steam & Sand, An Earlier RP on this Forum:

My somewhat inaccurate depiction of the 7-7,
on its mad dash to Brizzle from White Island.

The Corsair

I was about to say 'Hot damn! Is that from Steam and Sand?'
Then I read the first bit...

I'm now really tempted to resurrect Steam and Sand somehow...
Still here, just quieter

MWBailey

Quote from: The Corsair on June 23, 2012, 03:46:05 AM
I was about to say 'Hot damn! Is that from Steam and Sand?'
Then I read the first bit...

I'm now really tempted to resurrect Steam and Sand somehow...

It was one heck of a good RP while it was going. The pic above is OK, I like how it came out and all, but in actuality the 7-7 was supposed to be a steam-converted and heavily-modified Bandvagn (two-or-more-segmented tracked exploration vehicle).

I'm not actually sure what was referred to originally, but what came to be described in the RP may have looked something like the device in the link below,

http://www.army-technology.com/projects/viking/viking2.html

Which is in fact not a bandvagn (so far as I know, at any rate) but something called a 'Viking.' Not that it really matters, of course. Add a boiler , sandplow (cowcatcher) and all the important plumbings and bobs and the end result might have turned out like my drawing, so I guess it's all good...

MWBailey

The Privateer Aethership, AS Sabertooth, from The Stars Await!

Alexis Voltaire

The pirate-turned-rogue trader airship Cloud Shark from Wind in the Sails.

((hit this Image link for full size readable veiw.))

The Cloud Shark and similar ships in the skies of her world are powered entirely by sail.

The gondola, outer deck, masts, and some internal framework are constructed of thin light wood. The construction method uses laminates and plywood-type reinforcing to make the framework strong and light wherever possible.

Water is used for ballast (stored in skin bags under the gondola) as it's heavy, easy to obtain (even in the sky by flying through storms if needed.) and also functions as the ship's water stores.

Because traditional cannons or large guns would be too heavy, the ship is armed with four ballistas (huge crossbows) which are capable of shooting flaming or explosive bolts. The ballistas are stored along with their bolts in compartments alongside the gondola hull to protect them from the weather. When in use they are fixed to mounting posts that give a wide range of motion both horizontally and vertically.
~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

MWBailey