News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Victorian food brands still extant

Started by yereverluvinunclebert, March 30, 2012, 12:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yereverluvinunclebert

Time for a Victorian steampunk feast! - I'm just drawing up a list of Victorian food brands that are still available in the UK. If you can think of any then please add them to the list.

oxo
Quaker oats porridge
Carrs water biscuits
Cadbury's cocoa
Tate & lyle sugar

Birds custard
Jacobs cream crackers
Bovril
golden shred marmalade
garabaldi biscuits
Patum Peperium
Fray Bentos corned beef
nestles condensed milk
typhoo tea
camp coffee
huntley and palmers nice biscuits
Shippams meat pastes
rowntrees pastilles
heinz beans
HP sauce
Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute

Wormster

Tread softly and carry a GBFO stick!

LadyAsprin

Barr's Irn Bru is just in the Victorian period, it was first sold in 1901 under the name Strachan's Brew.
Only girls fight with swords these days.(Wellington - Duel and Duality - Blackadder III)

Unsubtle Pete

Taylor's of Harrogate tea and coffee (1886).

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

yereverluvinunclebert

I don't plan on eating the liver salts, until after the banquet perhaps?

Arabella Periscope

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

yereverluvinunclebert

Weetabix? modern upstart of a food, 1920s, totally unsuitable for the Victorian era, unless I take it back by time machine of course... oh yes -  I hadn't thought of that.

yereverluvinunclebert

Callard & Bowser Creamline toffees? still made up until recently
Altoids
Nigroids
Worcester sauce (pronounced wooster)

von Corax

Connors Bros. of Blacks Harbour, NB, have been fishing the Bay of Fundy since 1885, and since their incorporation in 1893 have shipped Brunswick sardines around the world, including tonnes and tonnes of the little buggers to the troops during the Great War.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Professor Ross

Homo sum humani nihil a me alienum puto.

josecou

Mr. Boltneck

This isn't directly relevant to the UK, but I recently read that in San Francisco, there is a sourdough culture that's been kept in continuous use for something like 150 years.
I can't help wondering if something similar exists in the UK. Perhaps a distillers' yeast in Scotland, or something.

Unsubtle Pete

Quote from: Mr. Boltneck on March 30, 2012, 04:33:54 AM
This isn't directly relevant to the UK, but I recently read that in San Francisco, there is a sourdough culture that's been kept in continuous use for something like 150 years.
I can't help wondering if something similar exists in the UK. Perhaps a distillers' yeast in Scotland, or something.

There's plenty of classic British breweries of Victorian age or even older, just a couple that come to mind are Batemans (1874) and Timothy Taylors (1858). Some beers are still brewed with classic techniques and equipment such as the Yorkshire Stone Square or the Burton Union System.
With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog

Captain Shipton Bellinger

Banks's Brewery have been brewing on the same site since 1875.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

Darkhound

That's nothing. Old Bushmill's Irish whiskey hasn't changed anything since 1608.
"Stupidity is a curse with which even the Gods struggle in vain. Ignorance we can fix."

yereverluvinunclebert

So we have established there is a large amount of Victorian alcohol to be drunk, that's good. I need to eat though. I don't think we had any sour dough here in the UK but that does put me in mind of Hovis, the bread.

bicyclebuilder

There is a Dutch brand from 1860, making chocolate flakes and sprinkles. De Ruijter.
We Dutch put chocolate flakes in all shapes, sizes and taste on our bread.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

yereverluvinunclebert

Sounds a bit posh to me...I don't think we can let the lower classes know there is such a thing as chocolate or there could be a revolution. Seriously though, sounds nice and I suppose it would be possible for speciality Victorian stores to stock Dutch bread, does it keep or is it fresh and likely to go off? Is it packeted?

Madasasteamfish

Guinness (the brewery was founded 1756 I think)
William Grant and sons (makers of Grants Whisky and the Famous Grouse founded in the 1870's)
Arthur Bell and Sons (another whisky distillery can't remember when exactly it was founded)

Can't think of any other foodstuffs at the moment
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

yereverluvinunclebert

More alcohol! I am going to be too drunk to eat.

More food brands:

R Whites lemonade
Idris fizzy drinks, especially the cream soda and dandelion and baldock
Fyffe's bananas

Professor Ross

Dr. Pepper was introduced in 1885. One year before Coca-Cola.
Homo sum humani nihil a me alienum puto.

yereverluvinunclebert

Dr. Pepper! I don't think we ever had that over here, and Coca cola? isn't that the cleaning fluid made potable with the addition of gas, sucrose and a significant decrease in temperature? disgusting stuff unless you want to clean copper.

yereverluvinunclebert

Walls sausages and bacon - Walls the butchers have existed for over two hundred years... Now I have some meat that isn't in tins.

And that also means I can have Walls pork pies

bicyclebuilder

Quote from: yereverluvinunclebert on March 30, 2012, 11:40:59 AM
More alcohol! I am going to be too drunk to eat.

More food brands:

R Whites lemonade
Idris fizzy drinks, especially the cream soda and dandelion and baldock
Fyffe's bananas

Your going to find more alcoholic beaverages than food. A lot of beer brands are from the victorian era.
The best way to learn is by personal experience.

yereverluvinunclebert

Brakspears Bitter - brewed in Henley-on-Thames from 1774 until relatively recently, now brewed in Witney but in the same coppers.

Cut me - and it flows from my veins.