News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Steampunk in the News- what the papers say...

Started by Siliconous Skumins, April 29, 2012, 12:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siliconous Skumins

Browsing the BBC news website I came across a small video item on the Whitby goth weekend, and noticed that a couple of steampunks make a quick appearance:

Anyone here /  we know?  :)

They look familiar somehow...

SS
[Server Prayer]
Spoiler: ShowHide

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Just call me Rob

That can' t be a photo from this year. It's not raining.
Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.

Argus Fairbrass

I've still never been, but I was actually quite surprised when perusing WGW photo archives, just how long (what appears to be) Steampunks have been appearing there. Like this one from 2007, but I've definitely seen far older ones still.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

A nice little thread to act as a scrapbook for all those mentions of steampunk in the mainstream newspapers and magazines, rather than have lots of other little threads pop up and then vanish.

For you edification The Guardian had its 2 page photospread for Whitby Goth Weekend entitled "Steampunk Beside The Sea". The pictures were predominantly of steampunks rather than Goths, it made it look as though we had hijacked the event.

(Which of course we had, as we have all the rayguns  ;D)
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

yaghish

There has been an article on steampunk in De Gids, 3/2012. This is the oldest Dutch magazine on literature (it was est. in 1837) and it is well-respected. Auhtor is Dirk van Weelden. Title: Opstand tegen het heden (something like "Rise against Today"). Dutchpunks who'd like to read it have to buy De Groene Amsterdammer, which has taken over De Gids.

The article offers an overview of the history of steampunk, starting with Gibsons/Sterlings The Difference Engine. It also names a Dutch commercial, that is supposed to be steampunk:

Klene - Beter dan best
Large part of the article is about issue 8 of SteamPunkMagazine and the Occupy relation.
Illustrated by steampunked cell phones as made by Ivan Mavrovic.
When there's a will, there's a dirigible to take you there

Herr Döktor

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

Well, I merged these two threads, and the final thing seems to have ended up in Metaphysical  :-\

On the other hand, I was going to suggest that Textual wasn't the best place for a steampunk news thread anyway...

Herr Döktor

Quote from: Sir Nikolas Vendigroth on April 30, 2012, 06:24:08 PM
Well, I merged these two threads, and the final thing seems to have ended up in Metaphysical  :-\

On the other hand, I was going to suggest that Textual wasn't the best place for a steampunk news thread anyway...

Hope you don't mind, Sir Nik, but I've changed the thread's title to better reflect it's contents!

;)

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

yaghish

Well, I merged these two threads
Too bad. My more generel "steampunk in the news" post doesn't match with the specific "Whitby Goth Weekend"-posts.
When there's a will, there's a dirigible to take you there

von Corax

Quote from: yaghish on May 01, 2012, 06:23:16 AM
Well, I merged these two threads
Too bad. My more generel "steampunk in the news" post doesn't match with the specific "Whitby Goth Weekend"-posts.

On the contrary, sir — the "Whitby Goth Weekend" posts fit in quite well with your more-general "Steampunk in the News" thread.

It's all a matter of perspective...
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Herbert West

Some really nice stories and photos. Just remember to steer clear of the comments section. There's always a few "normal" people who have to be rude and obnoxious.  :o
"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Capt. Dirigible

Quote from: Siliconous Skumins on April 29, 2012, 12:45:37 PM
Browsing the BBC news website I came across a small video item on the Whitby goth weekend, and noticed that a couple of steampunks make a quick appearance:

Anyone here /  we know?  :)

They look familiar somehow...

SS

I'm pretty  sure that they are Vincent and his daughter, who is called Jessica (IIRC) who were at the Watercress Line day out..

'Jessica' is the  girl fourth from the left  and Vincent is second from the right in the gold brocade coat.

A work colleague told me he saw my picture at Whitby in The Guardian. I said it couldn't have been me as I wasn't there.He said "Well it looked like you..your height, same moustache..Victorian frock coat and top hat" I had to laugh and say that description could fit  dozens of steampunks. It's like saying you thought you saw a Goth friend you knew because he had long black hair an ankle length black leather coat, skull t-shirt and New Rocks...it's practically a uniform!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Siliconous Skumins

*notices thread changes*  Hey, this is a pretty good idea! There's loads of orphaned threads on this topic, makes sense to have a dedicated place for these posts.  :)

SS
[Server Prayer]

I am a node of Server,
                      Born of flesh and blood,
                      But enhanced by the power of its web.
                      I have no use for pain or fear.
                      My scripts are a focus of my will.
                      My strength is my knowledge.
                      My weapons are my skills.
                      Information is the blood of my body.
                      I am part of the greater network.
                      I am host to the vast data of server.
                      My flesh is weak,
                      But my connection is eternal,
                      And therefore I am a god.      

[/Server Prayer] 

Mrs. Whatsit

"Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."

Mrs. Whatsit

"Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."

Mrs. Whatsit

Boston Jones

San Diego Steam seems to be infatuated with auto motives
"Countries do not exist where I am from.
The discovery of the Higgs boson led to limitless power,
the elimination of poverty and Kit-Kats for everyone.
It is a communist chocolate hellhole and I'm here to stop it ever happening."
-Eloi Cole

Delireus

This is just a little article printed by my local town's new alternative newspaper a few months ago, but it makes me laugh every time I read it. The entire newspaper that week was 1930's themed, and the vocabulary reflects the time period. Reporters came to our weekly steampunk meeting one night, asking to do an article on us, but they never really asked questions, they just came and engaged in our weekly crafts, which was making chainmail that night. I learned why they never asked anything, the article was a fake! Sort of...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  :D

Anyways, even though I was completely unprepared for the article, I just love it. I was partly worried they would make fun of us in a rude way, but the reporters consisted of a nearly 7 foot tall gentleman with a dashing handlebar mustache and a girl with purple hair, so I figured they probably 'got' the whole weirdness of our group. That's me in the bottom photo!

Kansas steampunks - http://thehypeweekly.com/2011/11/16/crack-team-of-inventors-plan-to-build-flying-tank-airship-to-combat-evildoers/

Home is where the faire is

Jedediah Solomon

Quote from: Delireus on June 20, 2012, 08:25:38 AM
...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  :D

Kansas steampunks - http://thehypeweekly.com/2011/11/16/crack-team-of-inventors-plan-to-build-flying-tank-airship-to-combat-evildoers/

Just remember, keep the flying tank on the other side of the secret sliding wall, you certainly don't want them knowing shit .....stuff like that!  Don't worry, nobody on this forum will tell, right folks?
Adventure awaits

Mrs. Whatsit

Quote from: Jedediah Solomon on June 20, 2012, 09:07:30 AM
Quote from: Delireus on June 20, 2012, 08:25:38 AM
...it was more of a blown up hoax, I guess to get people interested, but I assure you we've never had plans to build a 'flying tank' (that they knew of)  :D

Just remember, keep the flying tank on the other side of the secret sliding wall, you certainly don't want them knowing shit .....stuff like that!  Don't worry, nobody on this forum will tell, right folks?
Really great article.  It does sound like the interlopers had fun meeting you.

Delireus

Be that as it may, I must insist, we don't have any plans for anything that flies ...

It's a submarine! In the middle of Kansas, no one would ever suspect! It's so ridiculous, it's genius
Home is where the faire is

Uncle Arthur

Quote from: Delireus on June 21, 2012, 07:40:58 AM

Be that as it may, I must insist, we don't have any plans for anything that flies ...

It's a submarine! In the middle of Kansas, no one would ever suspect! It's so ridiculous, it's genius

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!

Mrs. Whatsit

Blurb about Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118030-ConTemporal-Steampunk-Con-Comes-to-Escapist-Land

Bradford, UK
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/9775119.Bradford_becomes_a_Mecca_for_Steampunk_aficionados/

I've never heard of Bradford, UK before, but there are a lot of cities in the UK that escape me.  Is it really a Mecca for Steampunk?  or did the reporter just make this up?