News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

"The Antipodean Steampunk Show" - Artisan, QLD 2012 and onwards

Started by maduncle, May 22, 2012, 03:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maduncle

Well folks, I thought I would jump in and start the thread on this fabulous exhibtion planned for later in the year. There have been murmurs and whispers about BG for some time on 'something happenning' so now we can run a real proper thread on it and share.

Linky thing to the gallery:  http://www.artisan.org.au/index.php/gallery/2012-gallery-program

More linky stuff: http://antipodeanleague.org/blog/2012/05/20/contemporary-touring-initiative-awards-50k-to-the-antipodean-steampunk-show/

I have been privy to this event for some months now along with a few other Australian steampunk folk, and it is going to be amazing.

Best bit is that they are still after more work to exhibit - so if you have something or can make something to show, drop an email to info@artisan.org.au

I will definitely be there for the opening!
"Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown"

maduncle

Well well well well well well well well well...

I have packed up my four pieces for transport to Brisbane, organised the printing of special postcards with professional photos of the works on display for personal selective distribution during opening night proceedings, and now I need to organise a flight, accommodation and speech notes.

I am very much looking forward to being part of Australia's first ever national touring steampunk exhibition.

rod-on

Congratulations, I'm sure you will be the highlight of the show..... But when will we see it in Melbourne, and will you be speaking at the opening here?

NicholasTheRed

Damn, I'll only be in Australia until Oct 10th so I'm going to miss out on it.

steelhips

Hi maduncle,

Thanks for starting this thread - I have two sculptures and several jewellery pieces in the show.  Unfortunately, I can't afford to go to the opening (damnation!) but would love to hear how it all looks! I might be able to attend while the show is touring over the next year. 

So I'm definitely there in spirit!  Have a great night...

Michelle aka steelhips

von Explaino

maduncle

Quote from: von Explaino on October 17, 2012, 12:19:21 AM
I have RSVPed for the opening. Getting excited...

Splendid!

I bought trousers today, specifically for the event.

I felt it best to be wearing trousers when I speak, so as not to upstage the minister.

grimnir

Kindest regards, Raven

maduncle

Quote from: grimnir on October 17, 2012, 09:57:20 AM
Sounds interesting, will try to get to it!

You see?

I mention trousers and folk get interested.

I hope you make it along to the show.

Senior Engineer

I had the pleasure in being at the Brisbane Artisan gallery opening of 'Antipodean Steampunk' tonight, and the double pleasure of hearing Mad Uncles's address to the assembled gathering, Bravo Sir, Bravo.

The Brisbane Steampunk fraternity was well represented, good show.

Saluatations
Senior Engineer

Just as we had overcome a bad situation, one of the crew said, 'it could be worse'. Then lo and behold it did get worse.

Stacy

I'm so disappointed that I missed it. I had every intention of going, but time did not permit.  :-[

maduncle

Quote from: Stacy on October 25, 2012, 09:39:50 AM
I'm so disappointed that I missed it. I had every intention of going, but time did not permit.  :-[

It's still on...

von Explaino

For those who want to see what they missed at the opening (or play find-the-steampunker): The making of The Antipodean Steampunk Show

rod-on

Yarra Ranges Regional Museum, VIC in 2014!!!!!!

Surly, in Victoria could have done better than 1 showing in a 'regional' gallery and in 2014 at that!!

I'm not only disappointed, I"m shocked!

The exhibits (sigh) will truly be vintage by the time we get to see them I guess.

Fairley B. Strange

Well I might be able to make the Yarra Ranges by then.

Its also made the frontpage on ABC News online with a range of still photos.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/steampunk-exhibition/4379110
Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

maduncle

Quote from: Fairley B. Strange on November 20, 2012, 01:40:26 PM
Well I might be able to make the Yarra Ranges by then.

Its also made the frontpage on ABC News online with a range of still photos.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/steampunk-exhibition/4379110

What?

I distinctly remember doing a whole lot of ROTFLMAO ing when told during the interview that I am considered 'the father of steampunk in Australia' - they cut that bit out!

Fairley B. Strange

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.

Stacy

I do believe it's time to start counting down the days for the next show at my local gallery.
I'm very excited indeed.

Ipswich Art Gallery 9 Feb - 14 Apr

maduncle

Quote from: Stacy on January 20, 2013, 03:14:48 AM
I do believe it's time to start counting down the days for the next show at my local gallery.
I'm very excited indeed.

Lovely.

I do believe it visits Ipswich twice this year, the second time it will coincide with another event...

steelhips

I'm very excited indeed.

I've sent my assemblage/sculptures all over the world without issue.  The two pieces I have in this show were both damaged in transit from WA to QLD!  The larger one was even double boxed by professional packers -I was livid!  The lovely curators have fixed them but I'm still wondering if they look okay.  The show doesn't get close to me until Bunbury 2015.  Any report will be appreciated.

steelhips aka Michelle Murray

Stacy

Quote from: maduncle on January 20, 2013, 08:06:42 AM
I do believe it visits Ipswich twice this year, the second time it will coincide with another event...

Right you are, the second one later in the year I am very excited about as it is at the rail workshop museum amongst all the lovely old steam engines I hope.

Dear Steelhips, I shall pay extra attention to seek out your artwork and report of anything ill about its appearance.

maduncle

Quote from: steelhips on January 20, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
I'm very excited indeed.

I've sent my assemblage/sculptures all over the world without issue.  The two pieces I have in this show were both damaged in transit from WA to QLD!  The larger one was even double boxed by professional packers -I was livid!  The lovely curators have fixed them but I'm still wondering if they look okay.  The show doesn't get close to me until Bunbury 2015.  Any report will be appreciated.

Michelle, I had a very close look at your work on the opening night (as I love your work and can stare at it for hours) and it all looked absolutely spot on.

Cheers,

Cliff

steelhips

Quote from: maduncle on January 21, 2013, 10:18:59 AM
Quote from: steelhips on January 20, 2013, 10:09:49 AM
I'm very excited indeed.

Michelle, I had a very close look at your work on the opening night (as I love your work and can stare at it for hours) and it all looked absolutely spot on.

Cheers,

Cliff

Thank you so much Cliff!  And thanks Stacy - I hope you love the show

Stacy

I thought it might be a nice quiet morning to visit the show again, but when I turned up there was some school groups going through for a look. It was actually really great to see how excited the children got while looking at the various pieces, made my visit that much more enjoyable.

maduncle

Quote from: Stacy on March 01, 2013, 02:02:09 AM
I thought it might be a nice quiet morning to visit the show again, but when I turned up there was some school groups going through for a look. It was actually really great to see how excited the children got while looking at the various pieces, made my visit that much more enjoyable.

Ah that's good to hear - we will assimilate the little ones.