News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The definitive goggles thread volume 2

Started by Stella Gaslight, June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stella Gaslight

I will start this off with my favorite goggels.

They make useing my dremmel less scary.

EDIT: For completeness, here's a link back to Volume I of this thread.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Calvin Sinclair

Quote from: Stella Gaslight on June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Tasty goggles!
Always on the run!

walkthebassline

Quote from: Stella Gaslight on June 22, 2012, 03:58:28 AM

Those are awesome!
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

Stella Gaslight

Thank you both.  They are very functional too fir doing detail work.  I have also glued holographic sun glass lenses to them with super glue when I needed steamy sunglasses and the extra lens just pops off after a little time in the freezer and leaves the perfect clear glass behind.
I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight

Andifferous

Just finished these up last night, this time going for as much authentic material as possible; real leather and real brass. the only thing I deliberately didn't go for authentic with was the lenses, which are made of Lexan rather than glass, mostly for safety reasons.

They fit pretty comfortably, might switch the lexan out for a pair of sunglass lenses if I can find the right size and shape.

ktara

Here's a site with some lenses, about 2/3 of the way down the page.  They'd be fine for US people, but shipping to just Canada is ridiculous, I can only imagine other countrys' shipping costs.

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/store/eyewear.php?__utma=1.247310261.1338891080.1343194841.1343277949.5&__utmb=1.2.10.1343277949&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1338891080.1.1.utmgclid=CMuP9vjttrACFUQaQgodp2qv6g

Delireus

Quote from: Andifferous on July 09, 2012, 02:18:44 AM
Just finished these up last night, this time going for as much authentic material as possible; real leather and real brass. the only thing I deliberately didn't go for authentic with was the lenses, which are made of Lexan rather than glass, mostly for safety reasons.

Those are very nice! I have a question for you, or for anyone who may know (which I have a feeling is a lot of people, I'm very much below average when it comes to knowledge in the tools area)

How did you make the holes in the brass? I have some brass...things (the woman at the antique store told me they were from an oil lamp) that I need to drill 5 holes into, about a 1/8th wide, and the brass bits are about as thick as a dime. I've used a drill press once to drill through brass tubing, but I do not have access to one right now. Would a hand held drill work, with those drill bits used for metal, possibly? This may be crazy simple, but...I'm just terrible when it comes to tools.

Anywho, like I said, lovely goggles!
Home is where the faire is

Andifferous

Quote from: Delireus on July 26, 2012, 08:00:49 AM
Quote from: Andifferous on July 09, 2012, 02:18:44 AM

Those are very nice! I have a question for you, or for anyone who may know (which I have a feeling is a lot of people, I'm very much below average when it comes to knowledge in the tools area)

How did you make the holes in the brass? I have some brass...things (the woman at the antique store told me they were from an oil lamp) that I need to drill 5 holes into, about a 1/8th wide, and the brass bits are about as thick as a dime. I've used a drill press once to drill through brass tubing, but I do not have access to one right now. Would a hand held drill work, with those drill bits used for metal, possibly? This may be crazy simple, but...I'm just terrible when it comes to tools.

Anywho, like I said, lovely goggles!

Personally I went for very thin brass, about cardstock thickness, but yours doesn't seem too much thicker than that. I used a fine point drill bit and a hand-held Dremel to make the holes; It just took a little patience and a steady hand and it all worked just fine.

Delireus

Quote from: Andifferous on July 27, 2012, 09:13:53 AM
Personally I went for very thin brass, about cardstock thickness, but yours doesn't seem too much thicker than that. I used a fine point drill bit and a hand-held Dremel to make the holes; It just took a little patience and a steady hand and it all worked just fine.

It just so happens that I have both of those things :). Thanks a lot for the tip!

Andifferous

Just finished up another pair of goggles. I believe I may be improving at this.

Aluminum, faux leather and a little bit of brass. Comfortable and easy to see through. Would have used real leather but none was on hand. Even gotten a couple requests for paid commissions on these.

Otto Von Pifka

these are handy items to start a hole with, much easier to control and not walk.

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-center-drill-countersink-set-with-60-angled-tip-42280.html

also, whenever possible, make a dimple for starting the drill, so it won't walk.

brass is soft enough to use something as simple as a nail to dent it.

Uncle Arthur

I can't operate without my spring loaded center punch. One of the best inventions  I can think of. For thin metals be SURE you fasten down your work piece bfore drilling. A razor sharp brass propeller is NO fun. I often use just a hand cranked drill in brass or aluminum.
If at first you don't succeed , CHEAT!

James Harrison

This is going to be a loooong post (because mine are a work-in-progress....)

I prefer 'smaller' goggles.  Not in terms of lens size, more in terms of bulk.  What I am aiming for with this pair is a suggestion of a pair of Edwardian driving goggles (think along the lines of those worn by Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law in A Game of Shadows).  

I've made goggles in the past, which have suffered in the first instance because they were a pair of modded swimming goggles and in the second because, although I used sunglass lenses, I then used card for the cups.  So this time I've decided to use proper materials....

I began by buying a pair of cheap 'John Lennon' style sunglasses, and removing the temple arms, which were held in place by screws and easily taken away:

Spoiler: ShowHide

I then cut out a template from some thin card stock:

Before transferring the form to fine aluminium mesh:

I then offered up the mesh to the lens, to check for size.

This mesh has sharp edges; I don't want to scratch the lenses or put my eyes out with the stuff.  So I had a cast around and found some foam, but it was too thick.  So I cut off a length of the stuff and then halved the thickness.

I used UHU glue to attach these strips to the mesh.

I cut a couple of slits into the foam to allow for the remnants of the bridge and the temple arms, and then test-fitted again.

I then cut some more foam, but left it at full thickness, to attach around the mesh where it meets my face.  This was again UHU'd to the mesh, which I then rolled up and glued into the cup shape.

I then UHU-d the lenses into the cups.  I kept as much of the structure of the original glasses as possible, partly to make the whole thing that bit easier to build and partly because it reflects the lighter nature of construction I am looking for.  This is the current state of affairs:

The next steps are going to be to add extensions to the back of the foam, so it meets my face properly, then fit leather over it before adding a strap.

~Addendum~

I've thought of a better way of joining the lenses to the mesh- so have removed half of the foam....

~Later~

I'll edit this post, rather than double-post:

I removed all of the foam eventually... then started by adding papier-mache around the top edge of the mesh, before gluing the lenses down onto this paper mass.

I then started thinking about how neat a fit I'd need around my face.  The mesh was cut to the wrong shape, so I cut a little off of it (bringing it closer to my face) and then added the bits that were missing (this would be, around the sides) out of the card templates I'd originally made. 

An advantage of using card is that it is a fairly forgiving material- so it will bend or form itself, a little, to the shape of the eye sockets.  When I was reasonably happy with the fit, I added an aluminium foil coating. 

I've now ordered some leather off-cuts on ebay, to neaten up the joint between the cups and the lenses, and provide a comfortable edge to the fitting of the cups.  Now to look for a strap....

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Delireus

I've finally finished two pairs of goggles for my boyfriend and I. I've made 3 or 4 pairs before, using fake leather and glue, but this time I wanted something with more substance, something sturdy. I've been dabbling in leather work for a few months and I'm in a metalsmithing class in college, so I've got access to a lot of great tools.

I found these bug glasses at a thrift store and my boyfriend liked the fractal lenses. So, we painted them and I wrapped them in green suede leather, attaching that with brass cap nuts. The straps are attached with these little hinges I found and small rivets. On all of my goggles, I like to use purse clasps (I don't know their 'real' name) and a byzantine chain to match whatever outfit I'll be wearing. Since my boyfriend's outfit is mostly green and black, I used green and brass chainmail rings. I also added a loupe with this green steampunk monocle I bought years ago. So, tadaa!

I should mention that we had just gotten back from a renaissance festival and both hats and goggles are SUPER dusty, so sorry

For mine, I found these two brass oil lamp ring things at an antique store about 2 years ago, and I've been using them in various forms of goggles since then. I drilled holes with a drill press for the cap nuts to attach the leather. A camera lens fit perfectly into one ring, and some plumbing parts and a door eye peep fit into the other. I've got a seamstress persona going on, so I used a fabric tape measure as the straps, which I attached to the leather eye piece with a gear concho, which has a larger brass gear over that. I then used the purse straps again, with a button, and red and brass byzantine chain. The red lens in the camera lens can be changed out for either a green, yellow, or blue one as well. Finally, I bent a piece of brass plate for the nose piece! They match my outfit, I love them!

Once again, pardon the dust!

ramonwmq

Very nice goggles indeed Miss Delireus. I myself is very anxious to start tinkering my own goggles.
(hopes that "I myself" is good grammar)  :(
"One person's crazyness is another person's reality."
- Tim Burton -

walkthebassline

Quote from: ramonwmq on September 26, 2012, 03:46:49 PM
Very nice goggles indeed Miss Delireus. I myself is very anxious to start tinkering my own goggles.
(hopes that "I myself" is good grammar)  :(

Technically speaking, I believe "I myself am" would be good grammar.

/threadjack

:P   ;D
"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins

ramonwmq

Quote from: walkthebassline on September 26, 2012, 05:24:03 PM
(hopes that "I myself" is good grammar)  :(

Technically speaking, I believe "I myself am" would be good grammar.

/threadjack

:P   ;D

Thank you Sir, for pointing that out (still learning :))
"One person's crazyness is another person's reality."
- Tim Burton -

Delireus

(hopes that "I myself" is good grammar)  :(

Thank you so much! Do post your own photos once you start on them, I'm sure they'll be great!  ;D

elShoggotho

Some old creations in a new light. All of them for sale, see Trading.
Massive brass goggles: ShowHide

Massive brass monogoggle: ShowHide

Industrial monogoggle prototype: ShowHide

All of them, arranged for aesthetics: ShowHide

elShoggotho

New batch! Boiler room goggles for the whole crew.

Professor Elliott

Finished these today. Made from an old pair of Dolland of London binoculars...

Maets

You have been busy.  Another great build.

Herbert West

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes

Drew P

Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

D.Oakes

Great work Professor Elliot!

I have been goggle binge for the past 48 hours.....

These first two are for an "Apocalypse Party" on Friday.  (and both are made from leather and parts found at a mom and pop plumbing store...they buy out a lot of hardware stores so have a ton of odds and ends for great prices)  

My goggles:

My fiance's goggles:  (she is going for a kind of Faery/Airship Pirate thing....so they have an insect feel to them)

Then riding the goggle high...I made a pair for my shop. (mine and these both have Soviet gas mask lenses)  The strap is adjusted with a button system similar to some early modern military field gear.

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler