News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The Steampunk Student Society

Started by Adelaide Blake, July 13, 2012, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pixilight

Well hello fellow students. I am a 20 year old with an associates of arts, working on a BA in philosophy and sociology. Beginning grad school for a Phd. In philosophy here shortly. Doing a terrible amount of writing. At my current location steampunk is frowned upon however I will be on to bigger and better things where people are too busy too pay any mind shortly.
Pleasure to meet all of you!

Adelaide Blake

Welcome Pixilight, good to have you on the forum :D

GOOD LUCK/CONGRATULATIONS/COMMISERATIONS to everyone doing final exams/essays/dissertations/projects and what not. I hope you have spent your time procrastinating as effectively as I have and that you all do well.
Lady of the modern era. Historian in training. Seamstress.

nellspaulding

Hi there, I'm brand new to this forum.

I'm working on a doctorate in art history, writing my diss on nineteenth-century American soldier monuments (currently working on Chapter 4 - The Spanish-American War). I got into steampunk through my interest in the Civil War and the nineteenth century, and it's a chance for me to play with the stuff that I read and write about all day. Looking forward to chatting with more people here!

Baron_Artificium

'Ello

I'm a Sophomore going to school in the Detroit Michigan. I'm one of those crazy art students, studying to be a graphic artist basicly. I have an obsession with print making anything from etching to woodblock so those are my primary mediums for my course work. I have been integrating steampunk into my art slowly as I find my own style. The great thing about being at an Art college though is I can walk around campus in full steampunk any day of the week XD

J. Wilhelm

Welcome to the thread!

You know, that's a question I never pondered.  I wasn't aware of the genre back in 2002, but it would have been interesting to see the reactions of the engineering crown in graduate school.  Mind you, at least for the graduate school of engineering, graduate students already are the "bohemians" in the crowd.  That  since we didn't get internships and the job fairs and all that jazz - our job was to present at technical conferences and write for technical journals.  

andrew craven

I was just getting into Steampunk in my last year of university back in 2008. I integrated it into my art. For me steampunk then had all the tropes I was fascinated in with fashion and dandyism. Graduating it took me another year before I got to meet other steampunks. I had great enthusiasm for my art work but as times progressed, my enthusiasm wavered and suffered. Last year I completed illustrating a steampunk book that is yet to be published properly and I am currently working on another that has been postponed due to the writer's obligations with family.
Emotionally, I feel like I am sat in a boat on a lake that has no real course, but drifts where the winds blow. Now and again I may paddle a little with my pens, but not for long. I am hoping soul gets back into pace and hopefully rock and roll some more with my oeuvre. I am tempting to go back in time like a wave in a way, and be a student again!

Baron_Artificium

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on June 03, 2013, 04:49:09 PM
Welcome to the thread!

You know, that's a question I never pondered.  I wasn't aware of the genre back in 2002, but it would have been interesting to see the reactions of the engineering crown in graduate school.  Mind you, at least for the graduate school of engineering, graduate students already are the "bohemians" in the crowd.  That  since we didn't get internships and the job fairs and all that jazz - our job was to present at technical conferences and write for technical journals.  

Dont get me wrong theres still a few people that give me funny looks but its accepted around here because of the fact that art students are more then a little crazy and theres two conventions in detroit that get alot of steampunk

lientie

I'd considered starting up a steampunk society at my uni, but it sounds like a lot of organising and commitment to run a society.. I started up an open to public steampunk group in Sheffield, but thankfully it doesn't require much organising on my part, just need to get people in the same pub at the same time and leave them to it :) (I can't plan things to save my life..)
Confabulation!

OwainLawrence

I am indeed a student. I graduated from high school this past month, and in September I will start college here in Rhode Island. I plan on getting my degree in either English or History, and then as a consequence being impoverished.  :)

NinJay

Why, hello there!

I'm some 17 year old kid still a couple years away from starting my higher education. However, I plan on going into some sort of engineering (other than civil) or computer science course. I would also like to learn about music theory, technology, and production. I will be attending school for as long as I can possibly afford to.

FenrisWolf

Just found this thread.

I'm a 'mature' student at Westminster (London) and I haven't seen or heard of any other Steampunks there. I've spoke to a few people about my Steampunk Photography Project and they seem to have heard of Steampunk, but not in to it.

So I'm guessing there are no victims subjects for me to photograph there :(

Fenris Wolf
Iconographic Capturer of Ætheric Personalities™
www.fenrisoswin.com 

Flightless Phoenix

I seem to have missed this thread. I'm an archaeology student at Uni of Birmingham, working on my PhD part-time (of the joys of self-funding) with a thesis about 19th century cemeteries. I've managed to completely avoid any and all student activities during my entire time at uni, but if there had been a steampunk society I might have been persuaded to join!

Stormcat

I'm a student trapped in Morrisville state college. It would be nice to talk to other individuals who actually know what Steampunk is.

Verwandlung

I'm a first-year student at the University of East London, and there is a Steampunk Society. I feel very happy about that.

Ada Thorold

Quote from: Verwandlung on November 26, 2013, 09:28:58 PM
I'm a first-year student at the University of East London, and there is a Steampunk Society. I feel very happy about that.

I was not aware of other university steampunk societies in London, some of us are in the process of starting one at Imperial. We should arrange joint events sometime.

~A~

Verwandlung

Quote from: Ada Thorold on November 26, 2013, 10:44:28 PM

I was not aware of other university steampunk societies in London, some of us are in the process of starting one at Imperial. We should arrange joint events sometime.

~A~

At the moment, it's just me and one other guy, so there isn't much to go on.

Mme. Ratchet

So, this thread may possibly be dead, but I figured I'd post here just in case. I am studying gunsmithing at home via the American Gunsmithing Institute. Hoping to specialize in antique gunsmithing and working on old military firearms. Also planning to study business administration at some point in time. Not sure when just yet.

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Mr. Ratchet on August 13, 2014, 05:11:49 AM
So, this thread may possibly be dead, but I figured I'd post here just in case. I am studying gunsmithing at home via the American Gunsmithing Institute. Hoping to specialize in antique gunsmithing and working on old military firearms. Also planning to study business administration at some point in time. Not sure when just yet.

I think you're going to find a couple of antique gun enthusiasts who might be inetersted in your gunsmithing abilities, most notably here down in Texas, and specifically here in Austin, like for example Mr. Arvis, of whom I haven't heard in a while.  He pops up every once in a while:

Thread on antique guns
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16489.0.html

Mme. Ratchet

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on August 15, 2014, 06:57:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ratchet on August 13, 2014, 05:11:49 AM

I think you're going to find a couple of antique gun enthusiasts who might be inetersted in your gunsmithing abilities, most notably here down in Texas, and specifically here in Austin, like for example Mr. Arvis, of whom I haven't heard in a while.  He pops up every once in a while:

Thread on antique guns
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16489.0.html

I'm already pretty good at what I do. Just short a lot of tools and machinery. I'm hoping to move down to Texas, specifically, sometime in the next few years, too! That should be interesting.

Clym Angus

ah the life of a student. I do miss it so. Although we are all students to the vast lecture hall of life and I would hope few of us ever stop learning, ( for I hear when you do, the mind becomes dogged, untenable and troublesome) there IS something magical about those few years however.

A thing of free expression. A benchmark of life that we urge to recapture.

To be paid to act like a student. Now that would be a FINE thing!

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Clym Angus on August 15, 2014, 06:42:24 PM
ah the life of a student. I do miss it so. Although we are all students to the vast lecture hall of life and I would hope few of us ever stop learning, ( for I hear when you do, the mind becomes dogged, untenable and troublesome) there IS something magical about those few years however.

I knew a maths and physics double PhD who looked like a bum, rode around campus on a recumbent bike, and started taking courses in Aerospace Engineering just for the fun of it, because he though it would be "easier."  That was a professional student.  :D

MWBailey

Quote from: Clym Angus on August 15, 2014, 06:42:24 PM

The thing that hate is those midlife exams...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Clym Angus

There is the act of learning, then the application of that learning to refine the art.
Academia, although wonderfully insular at times can be horrifically depressing.

Fighting over research grants, young guns snapping at your heels.
Young virile students that you really shouldn't be looking at but you can't help it.

I don't work well within the established lattice of education. I do like being around like minded people however that WAS fun.

NordicWrath

It was good to see one other high school student around, as well as a couple people from my side of the pond. I'm currently a Sophomore at Newman Central Catholic (Ugh) High School in Sterling, Illinois. Not a single Steampunk is to be found here, save for me. 'Tis a dull place. Cannot wait to head off and study English and Literature.

Hurricane Annie

I have been studying most of my life . I have a number of certificates , diploma and assorted papers  under my belt. Textiles, First aid,  Communication, Business, Marketing, small business management   blah blah blah

This year I intend finally embarking on a  long term goal  of a certificate in Celebrant Studies.