News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Steampunk Student Society

Started by Adelaide Blake, July 13, 2012, 11:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adelaide Blake

A society for all those in some form of education. Come in, take a break, and share all the lessons you've learnt and anecdotes you've collected, any tips for student steampunks and where and what you study, or at least pretend to.
Lady of the modern era. Historian in training. Seamstress.

Delireus

I'm a student at Kansas State University getting my BA in technical theatre, emphasizing in prop building. This will be my last semester, I'll graduate this December. I'm very fortunate to have many theatre professors who are steampunks as well. For my final in my special props class last semester, we had to build ray guns from scratch, using only found objects (or things found in the scene shop, but dumpster diving was also required). Extra credit if it fired! Mine did, it was a form of a cork pop gun. In a costume crafts class, we had to build an accessory, also out of only found materials (though second hand shops were allowed in this class) and I built my first pair of goggles.

Last year in September, I founded a steampunk student organization at my campus. It's open to anyone though, not just students, and we have about 30 members, though roughly 10 show up at every meeting, held weekly. To be honest, with a job, theatre productions and rehearsals, and classes, I sadly slacked off in my club duties so it hasn't been what I wanted it to be recently, but this coming year I hope to give it the attention it needs!

One lesson I learned is that you never know how many steampunks there are out there unless you look. I felt like I was taking a big risk in starting a steampunk club at my university, in the middle of Kansas, but at our first meeting we had 30 people come! I was amazed. I feel like if I have regular attendees of stressed out students who have a million other things to be doing on Thursday nights, any town can support a steampunk club.
Home is where the faire is

J. Wilhelm

Dear ladies:

I'm sorry to see that only two people have answered you call;  while I'm a bit past college age, I can assure you that more Brassgoggles members must also be students, given the median age.  I shall bump this thread accordingly...

Also. I may not be a student any more but I consider myself one at heart (1997 BS 1999 MSc Aerospace Engineering , 2002 MSc Mechanical Engineering Univ. of Texas at Austin)

At your service,
J. Wilhelm

Matthias Gladstone

There are, but I didn't see it.
I'm studying naval architecture at the University of Southampton. I run the Steampunk society here (Krakensoc). There wasn't much of a presence here last year, but I founded the society with help from a few friends and we now have 40 members on the books and 5-7 people turning up to our regular socials, and we're hoping that the fresher's fayre will bring in more people at the end of September.
-Matt
Southampton University Steampunk Society:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/184948814914233/

Madasasteamfish

You guys aren't the only ones. Unfortunately I'm nearly at the end of my course, but I did help found the Steampunk and Neo-Victorian society whilst at hull university. I'll let the other group members know this is here.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Lady Ava

When I first found Steampunk I was a civil engineering student. My days were spent drawing bridges and applying for planning permission for fictional houses and buildings.
As of tomorrow however, I will be a brand new student of Fashion and Costume. This is entirely down to steampunk.

I've learned that to get ahead, stay quiet and get on with things. Remember the swan, calm above water but working furiously when no-one is watching!
''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!

The Sammy

I can weigh in with Psychology here.
~Longeye~

Ada Thorold

Another student here, I am just about to start my PhD in computer science at Imperial College. Just finishing up at Birmingham. I was hoping to find a society at imperial but there doesn't seem to be one on the books.

~A~

von Corax

In the final stages of stalking a Comp Sci degree at University of Western Ontario.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5845 km from Reading

Adelaide Blake

Lovely to hear of steampunk presences on campuses, Imperial has a few steampunk enthusiasts I know of from friends who go there, there might be potential? And I didn't realise degrees informed so many people's finding of steampunk....I'm last year history.

And apologies for my absence. Food poisoning.

Auguste van Ardenhat

Signing in from South Africa here. Seems we  lack much of a Steampunk scene here at all, let alone a university one. At present I find myself finishing a degree in Anthropology and Archaeology at the University of South Africa after having sojourned in the fields of graphic design and landscape architecture.
Auguste van Ardenhat; Artist, Gentleman and Scholar.

Ada Thorold

Hmm... I shall have to keep my eye out for these other steampunks.

~A~

The Corsair

I'm a student a The University of Auckland (which is odd, because there's about 4 universities in this city). I'm studying Commerce and Arts and neither is going well... Commerce for lack of trying and Arts for lack of actually taking any papers. Still, I left school a year early (which nobody expected me to be able to do) and have officially managed one semester (again, doing the impossible :P )
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Phineas B. Catteri

Oh education, why can I not be rid of you?!??!

So, of the 22 years I have graced this planet, 17 of them have been spent in educational facilities. 17!!!!

Anyway, at the moment I am studying to be a nurse. Yes, yes, bring on the Murse jokes, I guarantee I have heard them all. This will be my second-last year pursuing higher education......I hope. But regardless, I love what I do, and getting to observe awesome surgeries is bloody kick-ass.

Adelaide Blake

Mr Catteri, I sympathise completely, such a long time we spend in education!! Although as this is my last year, I can see why some would want to spend so long in education considering the job prospects in this country at the moment. Oh well. And if I may say, an admirable profession you have chosen, I always think so of my murse friends  :)
And to the Corsair, I hope you continue to achieve the impossible

Madasasteamfish

I know your pain Phineas. I'm on the verge of completing my Masters degree and am seriously considering doing a phd on a similar subject (18th Century British Privateering, dry yes, but interesting to me). And I can take solace from the fact that my subject isn't as dry or weird as some people's work).
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Mephisto

I realise this thread has been quiet for a long time, but its a brilliant idea.
So, here goes.
I'm a second-year student hailing from the Australian National University. I am studying the Arts - more specifically English and History. Sadly, there seems to be a distinct lack of Steampunk around campus but with the new year hopefully more steam-minded individuals will appear.

Captain Marcus Stahlsturm

Why hello there

I'm in my first year of doing an English degree at the University of Leeds and I've found the best way to get through uni is the same as what every other English student does: brag about how easy we have it and tease geologists
"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"

Adelaide Blake

Hello new Steam Students :D

My questions are these: Have university and steampunk mixed for you? When I sit in the coffee shop reading internal devices I know I get a few knowing glances, as do the Victorian Officer Gentleman with the Amazing Moustache and President of Creative Writing when they walk around campus.  And what are your plans after university? I just got onto a conversion course for Law in Oxford :D

They haven't blended very well at all actually. At least nobody gives me a second glance when I'm in my finest steampunk gear or makes "funny" remarks about how I'm dressed at uni, unlike college where all people could do was stare and ask questions (which I was ok with to be honest. After all it's not everyday you see a man in a long coat, goggles and waistcoat without looking in the mirror). I'm fine with it apart from I'm not allowed to redecorate my accommodation. For a few months I've been drifting away from the steamy world until a week or so ago when I suddenly realised I had much more fun as part of the steampunk society. After university I plan on building an airship and stealing Big Ben (the bell)

Nathaniel Flood Harwick

Being a video game development student plays quite nicely with steampunk. All of my classmates are well aware of steampunk and very accepting of it as subculture. The only negative experience was when we had too design a gun for art class and our teacher said "No steampunk guns." :(
Too many ideas, not enough time.

Matthias Gladstone

Quote from: Adelaide Blake on February 19, 2013, 11:21:04 AM
Hello new Steam Students :D

My questions are these: Have university and steampunk mixed for you? When I sit in the coffee shop reading internal devices I know I get a few knowing glances, as do the Victorian Officer Gentleman with the Amazing Moustache and President of Creative Writing when they walk around campus.  And what are your plans after university? I just got onto a conversion course for Law in Oxford :D

No-one's got a sodding clue down here, I still spend half of my time trying to explain who we are and what we do to people when we go out on events (excepting the people in the society and a minority who are'nt, of course)
We do get agro every now and then, usually in the students union bar and usually from hipsters. 99.99% of people are ok though, simply curious.

Adelaide Blake

Marcus- will you be attending the Leeds Steampunk Fair?

Nathaniel -  I'm happy to hear steampunk is so prolifent that your teachers are having to curtail your activities

Matthias - Where abouts are you? I find things are always a little worse around bars and things. But from the sound of it you have a society?

I definitely will be. Sadly my girlfriend can't make it though as she is seeing her parents in Hull that weekend

Matthias Gladstone

Quote from: Adelaide Blake on March 01, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
Marcus- will you be attending the Leeds Steampunk Fair?

Nathaniel -  I'm happy to hear steampunk is so prolifent that your teachers are having to curtail your activities

Matthias - Where abouts are you? I find things are always a little worse around bars and things. But from the sound of it you have a society?

Yes, I run the Southampton University Steampunk Society (Krakensoc). Bars do tend to be worse.
-Matt