News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

Mornington Crescent too

Started by elShoggotho, July 24, 2012, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elShoggotho

We shall continue the 2008 Humphrey Lyttelton Memorial Game of Mornington Crescent in this thread. Latest result was a stunning roundabout victory by James Harrison, which made him chairthing and rules arbiter for the next round. Here's the relevant post fully quoted for your convenience.

Quote from: James Harrison on July 24, 2012, 05:17:03 PM
I think we'll go for the 1898 Great Central rulebook- this being the only rulebook I have to hand in which the construction of a Channel Tunnel is anticipated, and also allowing for Metropolitan Line moves to both Oxford and Nottingham, via the Brill Tramway and GC Mainline respectively.  Four tokens apiece thrown in complimentary from Sir Edward Watkin, with dinner for the winner to be held at the top of Wembley's Watkin's Tower.  Unfortunately for my wallet, the Chairperson has to pay for the champagne  :D  

You may begin!

EDIT: I forgot to link to the old thread. It's here, for your viewing pleasure. http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,14345.0.html

Vox Cerae

Ah! Then the parchment is in my tome.. so to speak.
I will use the retrovertigo clause (added to this very edition) and start anew at Island Gardens!
I must reparate: Nothing morally decent happens after midnight.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Vox Cerae on July 24, 2012, 10:50:05 PM
Ah! Then the parchment is in my tome.. so to speak.
I will use the retrovertigo clause (added to this very edition) and start anew at Island Gardens!

Kew Gardens
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

bassspine

terse, Madasasteamfish

I'll place a first pair of tokens and Turnham Green
Bwahahaha! They called me mad! MAD! But with my cross-dimensional time-fez I'll show them!!!!! hehehehe!!

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: bassspine on July 25, 2012, 06:17:13 PM
terse, Madasasteamfish

I'll place a first pair of tokens and Turnham Green

Well in my experience there are two types of people; the quick and the dead.

I'll go for Parsons Green

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Vox Cerae

In preparation for the showdown that everyone can obviously see you are trying to corner me with, I put on my hat and head to Blackfriars! A single periwinkle token is in play and a storm has started to brew.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Brew you say ???
I could do with a good cuppa!

Off to Tower Hill for a spot of tiffin.
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

Newchurch

Not too obvious, I hope:

Elephant and Castle

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

With tiffin all partaken I shall tootle off to Tooting Bec !!!
"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

Marco

This is starting to look like a risky game....hmmmm..... I like to play Farringdon station and to play the dice next round.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

What's that you say ..... play the dice !?!?!

Chairthing ..... Oh chairthing .......  Is gambling allowed during a game ???

I see in the unabridged 1908 rule set that an occasional side wager is indeed permitted but under the later 1922 rules (the Farrow and Ball chromonomical variant) that it's forbidden.

Just refresh my memory as to which rules set we're currently using for this game whilst I progress to Holland Park

James Harrison

We're currently playing using the 1898 rule book.  Gambling is allowed, but only if at least one of the players is situated on Hamstead Heath and another in Trafalgar Square, and then only on a wet Sunday afternoon if the previous Monday had been dry. (Page 695, paragraph 15, sub-paragraph 9).   

So unless all of those criteria are met Marco unfortunately can't play the dice.   
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

Vox Cerae

Quote from: James Harrison on August 07, 2012, 08:52:30 AM
We're currently playing using the 1898 rule book.  Gambling is allowed, but only if at least one of the players is situated on Hamstead Heath and another in Trafalgar Square, and then only on a wet Sunday afternoon if the previous Monday had been dry. (Page 695, paragraph 15, sub-paragraph 9).   

So unless all of those criteria are met Marco unfortunately can't play the dice.   
Ah, but until this was rewritten in the 1915 Hammond and Bros. edition, the rule was NOT area specific! As long as the player has knowledge of a location in which the criteria are met, the bet is still in play!

I, however, do not bother with such a meager trifling as betting, and move to Earl's Court. I play for the sport, you see. And winning.... well that's just right.

Marco

Aha... according to the 1987 rulebook (Page 164, paragraph 2) and never been modified, I still get my mauve token by going to Shepherd's Bush and declaring knid for the next round.   

elShoggotho

Hmmmm...
Cockfosters.
I know the implications.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Well ....... I say !!!!

Avoiding elshoggotho altogether to Elephant and Castle

Newchurch

Tentatively (I think this is a safe move)

Ravenscourt Park  Is the original Games Workshop still there?

(I have dug out Wilkinson's Commentaries, as the most definitive guide to the Great Central Rulebook (1898), but have discovered that several pages are missing from volume 3, so I'm rather in the dark for the finer points of the Boggling rules).

bassspine

I'm finding this bout a frighteningly high standard of play, but nothing ventured...

Using the Lowestoft Convention, para 2, subsection 8, and (this is where I'm a little shaky) placing a white feather at Baron's Court. Do you like the symmetry?
Bwahahaha! They called me mad! MAD! But with my cross-dimensional time-fez I'll show them!!!!! hehehehe!!

Vox Cerae

Shadwell. I had no idea I would need to do the ol' Marquis' Crusade tactic this early, but I can see I'm no longer dealing with amateurs.

Newchurch

I should not have mentioned those missing pages.

Shepherd's Bush Market, but by Hansom Cab, and accompanied by my aunt.

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

Alright then !
Tis a challenge when the game hots up.
But it shall not be said that the professor does not rise to the challenge !

I see your "aunts, rule books, tactics, feathers and puce tokens" and proceed with all haste, in a daringly jovial flit to a party held at Mansion House
Wherein I shall do a lightening quick jitterbug and collapse in that voluminous leather wingback in the corner awaiting a large G&T  ;D

Marco

I can't believe you just did that..... jitterbugging without verifying the health-hazards; what a very bold move...

I'll venture my way to Whitechapel, before I get shunt.

Madasasteamfish

Well after a brief geographical expedition (read Caravaning holiday) to deepest darkest Dorset, I'm advancing to Blackfriars

Newchurch

Parallels blocked; makes sense for the next move to  Waterloo.

Now I must say 'Featherstonhaugh'.

elShoggotho

All that jitterbuggery makes me all jittery. Nevertheless, we have to move on.

Seven Sisters

while sharing a pint of something-or-other with a friendly stranger.