News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

Abandoned

Started by selectedgrub, September 15, 2012, 07:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

selectedgrub

Nice. Anymore?

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

Arabella Periscope

Military housing looks much the same everywhere.  Who can name that paint color?  It is supposed to be neutral, inoffensive, yet it screams cheap government project, institution, school, hospital, insane asylum, prison.  The desolate aspect was there before it was abandoned, I suspect.  Some abandoned buildings seem to invite restoration, even factories and missile silos, but not these!
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Captain

Quote from: Arabella Periscope on December 08, 2013, 09:54:21 PM
Military housing looks much the same everywhere.  Who can name that paint color?  It is supposed to be neutral, inoffensive, yet it screams cheap government project, institution, school, hospital, insane asylum, prison.  The desolate aspect was there before it was abandoned, I suspect.  Some abandoned buildings seem to invite restoration, even factories and missile silos, but not these!

What brought the old Naval base on Adak to mind was an in-law returning from a recent caribou(reindeer) hunt there.  Alaska Airlines still flies there and the hunters have converted a barracks into a base camp.  Still it is pretty close to the end of the earth.  Notice how close Amchitka island is?  In the 1980s my Division was offered the "opportunity" to train there:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amchitka  We graciously thanked the Navy and Pentagon civilians for the kind offer but had to pass. 

Nearly half the town of Haines was Fort Seward.  It was an unusually nice 19th century Army base.

One of the buildings next to the Chapel is now a retirement home.  I gave a lady a ride back from the Thai restaurant there a few months ago and she told me that the largest building is going up for auction possibly next spring(?)

It is just being used for personal storage now but the community is hoping that a hotelier will fix it up.  Haines is an eccentric community even by Alaskan standards but it is one of the few towns connected to the outside world by a road.  It could probably be very steamy but who would you show it off to? 
-Karl

Arabella Periscope

That is a lovely, end-of-the-world little place.  It would be nice to fix it up in Steampunk style and, if one could afford it, have Christmas up there with family and friends.  Be snowed in with lots of supplies and fuel as if at the North Pole.
Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: Arabella Periscope on December 09, 2013, 05:29:39 AM
That is a lovely, end-of-the-world little place.  It would be nice to fix it up in Steampunk style and, if one could afford it, have Christmas up there with family and friends.  Be snowed in with lots of supplies and fuel as if at the North Pole.

Just don't invite Jack Nicholson and Shelly Duval  :o

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

selectedgrub

Prof Thadeus Q. Wychlock

"In a world whose only quarrel with instant gratification is that it takes too long, we are practitioners of a dying art: patience."

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

Captain

-Karl

selectedgrub

Quote from: Captain
Some of these theme parks are open and several are abandoned: 

Something extra haunting about abandoned adventure parks.
The cries of joy, screams of delight and laughter all gone.

selectedgrub

Couple of local derelicts.

and one the state hiway stole the traffic.
Remembering when we went for ice creams as kids.

Soon it will be wild.
I will go back in 5years.

Hurricane Annie

Quote from: selectedgrub on September 03, 2014, 07:12:12 AM
Couple of local derelicts.

and one the state hiway stole the traffic.
Remembering when we went for ice creams as kids.

Soon it will be wild.
I will go back in 5years.

I remember the castle.  I never had the pleasure of going in though.

Captain

The abandoned Williams Grove amusement park in Pennsylvania: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE9OlnQJ_4I

-Karl

Drew P

How's it look now, today?
Never ask 'Why?'
Always ask 'Why not!?'

Captain

Quote from: Drew P on January 04, 2015, 02:14:24 PM
How's it look now, today?

Apparently the YouTube video above is recent.  Also, it appears to be for sale:

Description: 35 Acre Amusement Park for sale. Consisting of the following rides, buildings and concessions. The major rides are as follows: CP Huntingdon Train, Mack Disco Star, Mack Music Express, Mack Bumper Cars, Mack Fun House, 3,000 Foot Wooden Coaster with PTC cars, Tilt-A-Whirl, Eyerly Monster, 48-piece Merry-Go-Round, Dark Ride, Swing Ride, Twister, Show Boat, Paratrooper. The Kiddie Rides include Convoy, Whip, Dreamn, Kid Coaster, Motorcycles, Helicopters, Antique Cars, 3 Story Play Port. Water Park includes 2 150' Chutes with pool. The park concessions has 15 Paddle boats with docks, 18 hole mini-golf, 300' Go Cart Track, Lazer Storm arena, 300 seat bingo hall, Full Size Arcade, 6 Games of chance, Gift Shop, 2000 seat PlayHaus Theater, 8 concession stands, 1 concession Chinese TRailer, catering facility for 5000 people. Buildings on the grounds include 2 offices, 7 houses, 7 pavillions, 1 Magic Pavillion, 3 bay Maintenace Shop, Full size church. Owners house is 4 bedroom, 2 bath English Tudor, fully furnished. Managers house is a 4 bedroom, 2 bath ranch, fully furnished. Owls nest is a fishing lodge with 6 bedrooms on Yellow Breeches Creek, plenty of beds and full kitchen. This Amusement park has many amenities such as a 2 acre lake with fresh water spring, easy access of PA Turnpike and Rts. 15, 81, and 83 coming from Baltimore MD, Washington D.C. and Philadelphia Pa. Park being sold at $3,000,000.00

"All I want to know is....the "Holy Church of Lazer Tag" is included!!!! "

And if you want to know the "quality" woodie you'd be buying, check out the POV here:
http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=19986
-Karl

chironex

No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

Captain

-Karl

Alexis Voltaire

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~