News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

Sheffield Steampunk Society Meets

Started by lientie, October 20, 2012, 12:24:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Marcus Stahlsturm

This sounds like a great idea! I'm in Leeds and I have a similar problem of not many steampunks. I will try to make it to Sheffield as often as I can though on a student budget that may not be too often   :'(
"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"

Lady Ava

Quote from: Captain Marcus Stahlsturm on February 18, 2013, 12:58:20 AM
This sounds like a great idea! I'm in Leeds and I have a similar problem of not many steampunks. I will try to make it to Sheffield as often as I can though on a student budget that may not be too often   :'(

Just a thing, there are LOADS of Leeds steampunks, they are just not very organised, perhaps you could prod them into some form of regular meet? :D
''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!

Quote from: Lady Ava on February 18, 2013, 03:42:08 PM
Just a thing, there are LOADS of Leeds steampunks, they are just not very organised, perhaps you could prod them into some form of regular meet? :D

I would if I could find them but since theyre pretty disorganised its rather hard to find them. Do you know when the next Leeds steampunk market is on?

lientie

"The dates for the next event are
Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th March 2013.
The running times of both days will be 12 til 6.
Leftbank, Cardigan Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS6 1LJ."

Taken from the facebook event page, although I imagine there's a thread on here somewhere about it. I assumed Leeds had fairly regular meets actually, there being so many steampunks there.. It's definitely worth starting up a thing to gather them all! That's what I've been doing here, I don't so much organise the group as tell people a time and a place to be to find steampunks :P

Saying that, you're very welcome down for any of our weekly meets if you can make it :)
Confabulation!

lientie

Oh also someone mentioned on facebook, apparently there's going to be some refurbishment going on at The Old Queen's Head that will result in :
Dining Area shut from 25th Feb to 1st March
Whole of Pub shut from 4th March to 8th of March

So will have to find a new base for the Thursday 7th..
Confabulation!

Quote from: lientie on February 18, 2013, 09:42:20 PM
The dates for the next event are
Saturday and Sunday 9th and 10th March 2013.
The running times of both days will be 12 til 6.
Leftbank, Cardigan Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS6 1LJ
Thanks  :)
Quote from: lientie on February 18, 2013, 09:42:20 PM
I assumed Leeds had fairly regular meets actually, there being so many steampunks there.. It's definitely worth starting up a thing to gather them all!
Started one up today but I haven't got any replies so far. There isn't even a steampunk society at the uni and you only need 4 people to start one.

Madasasteamfish

Quote from: Captain Marcus Stahlsturm on February 18, 2013, 10:06:28 PM)
Started one up today but I haven't got any replies so far. There isn't even a steampunk society at the uni and you only need 4 people to start one.

I know, I speak from experience when I say that's really annoying.

Although it is quite odd you've not encountered the Yorkshire Steam Coalition since they're largely based in Leeds I believe.
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Now that you mention it, I have heard of them. Thanks for the lead and I'll check them out.

I wont be able to come this week (Thursday is it?) but next week both me and the girlfriend will pay you guys a visit  :)

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

My I suggest the Sheffield Tap? No food (or Crabbies!) but a wonderful selection of beers, and sublime surroundings. The micro brewery is open now so you have the backdrop of large copper vessels.

The conversion is nicely done, it is the old First Class dining room. Especially handy for those coming in from Leeds or Manchester.
Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!

lientie

The Sheffield Tap is fantastic, although it always seems to be packed and maybe not the best for finding people..I wonder if you can book tables there..
One of the more hidden away pubs might be better, have you tried any of the ones down by the cathedral?
Confabulation!

lientie

Wait, no Crabbies?? And yet they have like 200 different kinds of beer O.o
Confabulation!

Madasasteamfish

As nice and convenient as the Tap is, the lack of food (beyond basic bar snacks) may cause a problem for those of us (like myself) who come straight from work and don't have any other chance to get food. The museum is quite nice and does quite good food (even if the choice of drinks is limited slightly more than the Sheffield Tap).

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

lientie

Yeah, the museum could be good, pretty central too. Might even see that ghost :P
Confabulation!

DreamHazard

Quote from: lientie on February 18, 2013, 11:15:47 PM
Yeah, the museum could be good, pretty central too. Might even see that ghost :P

Well YOU might... It haunts the ladies', remember?

Also I'm coming down this Thursday so I'll see everyone there :)

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

The Tap has extended which makes it less of a crush.

lientie

Quote from: DreamHazard on February 18, 2013, 11:24:31 PM

Good point, forgot about that >.>

Quote from: Mr Peter Harrow, Esq on February 18, 2013, 11:54:43 PM

I did wonder about that, saw a bit of the extension when I was last over.. I'll go check it out briefly this Thursday on the way to the meet, see how busy it gets on a weekday evening :)
Confabulation!

DreamHazard

Quote from: lientie on February 19, 2013, 12:30:53 AM

I did wonder about that, saw a bit of the extension when I was last over.. I'll go check it out briefly this Thursday on the way to the meet, see how busy it gets on a weekday evening :)

you can meet me in there off the train, I get in at about 2 :D

lientie

Quote from: DreamHazard on February 19, 2013, 12:39:53 AM
Quote from: lientie on February 19, 2013, 12:30:53 AM

you can meet me in there off the train, I get in at about 2 :D

OK :) It's a shame you can't walk in to it straight from the platform anymore, I liked that
Confabulation!

Madasasteamfish

You can still, unless they've changed it in the past week or so.

DreamHazard

It depends on the time I think. Sometimes they block access from the platform, I haven't noticed any pattern on when they decide to do this.

Clockwork Seer

Quote from: DreamHazard on February 19, 2013, 02:01:18 PM
It depends on the time I think. Sometimes they block access from the platform, I haven't noticed any pattern on when they decide to do this.

Mostly tends to be of an evening (around rush hour) or when they're on a "We'd like to have ticket barriers here but the council won't let us so we're going to be obnoxious about ticket checking" panic.

(New BG account, can't remember which name/mail/anything I used previously. Bah.)

Are these meets still at the Old Queen's Head on Thursdays?

lientie

Yep, will be this week, it's only on the 7th that it'll be somewhere different
Confabulation!

Mr Peter Harrow, Esq

We can discuss where this week, The Old Queens Head is undergoing renovation for 3 days, including the 7th.

Quote from: lientie on February 24, 2013, 04:48:34 PM
Yep, will be this week, it's only on the 7th that it'll be somewhere different
Then I will see you at The Old Queen's Head on Thursday  :)