News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The Deco Lounge: A club for dieselpunk aficionados and personas

Started by Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz, December 07, 2012, 06:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

I've tried to come up with an awesome, descriptive, thematic sounding introduction for this thread for ages. No matter how hard I try though, I can't get it to sound the way I want it to. I imagine this place to be an appropriately themed club where us dieselpunk people can socialize and chat. You may come in as your persona (as I will) if you have one, but also feel free to come in as yourself.

J. Wilhelm

How about "Club Ziggurat" ?  Dieselpunk aficionados will catch on to the reference back to Fritz Lang's (1927) and Osamu Tezuka's (1949)  versions of "Metropolis," (multiple references, actually Ziggurat / Tower of Babel), and encapsulates the progressive industrialist ideology (and fears thereof) of that Diesel period...

...Or "Cafe Americain" as a reference to the upscale nightclub and gambling den owned by Humphrey Bogart's character Rick Blaine in "Casablanca"?

Also, on other news, I don't do much on Dieselpunk, but I have this unfulfilled project about an alternative WWII scenario involving the Allies and Latin America against the Axis and Argentina in a rather protracted war maybe even including threat of nuclear war; Rather that explaining it in detail I'll leave the link(s) here, and whoever wants to pull from this thread(s) you are welcome to do so...  I started by touching on the fashion and music for the backdrop to some novel/movie on that subject...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33506.msg727727.html#msg727727
http://steampunk.mexico-foro.com/t423p15-que-opinan-de-dieselpunk (you may have to translate this page using Google, or better yet, just ask me).

Also look at the discourse by Ms. Cordelia Forward on the difference between Dieselpunk proper, and "Decopunk," a term I coined for her request of having an art-deco based fantasy as opposed to a bellicose / WWII dominated subject.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33506.msg727727.html

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on December 08, 2012, 03:53:50 AM
How about "Club Ziggurat" ?  Dieselpunk aficionados will catch on to the reference back to Fritz Lang's (1927) and Osamu Tezuka's (1949)  versions of "Metropolis," (multiple references, actually Ziggurat / Tower of Babel), and encapsulates the progressive industrialist ideology (and fears thereof) of that Diesel period...

Also, on other news, I don't do much on Dieselpunk, but I have this unfulfilled project about an alternative WWII scenario involving the Allies and Latin America against the Axis and Argentina in a rather protracted war maybe even including threat of nuclear war; Rather that explaining it in detail I'll leave the link(s) here, and whoever wants to pull from this thread(s) you are welcome to do so...  I started by touching on th efashion and music for the backdrop to some novel/movie on that subject...

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33506.msg727727.html#msg727727
http://steampunk.mexico-foro.com/t423p15-que-opinan-de-dieselpunk (you may have to translate this page using Google, or better yet, just ask me).

Also look at the discourse by Ms. Cordelia Forward on the difference between Dieselpunk proper, and "Decopunk," a term I coined for her request of having an art-deco based fantasy as opposed to a bellicose / WWII dominated subject.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,33506.msg727727.html

I meant to include both what you call "Deco-Punk" and "Dieselpunk". Although I tend to lean a bit towards "Deco-Punk" due to my love of the pulp adventure genre and the Art Deco aesthetic, I can also enjoy darker more WWII-oriented "Dieselpunk".

J. Wilhelm

There is a lot of material, an almost unfair advantage for Dieselpunk.  The people who raised me (grandparents) were a 1942 generation couple.  I got to live for 17 years listening to all their stories, and feel well acquinted with the style and music.  But to be honest I didn't exploit it because I guess Victoriana seemed more "exotic" to me.  My guess is that I can push myself a lot harder toward dieselpunk and be able to get a lot of direct material.  I have boxes full of family history dating to the period and just to give you an idea, the two pots that I use to cook my daily chow are 1930's aluminium  art deco pots that used to belong to my French great-grandmother back in New York, before they moved to Mexico at the start of WWII.

This lady over here, Ms. Anna Marin-Levi:

JR Murray

I started something similar to this on another Dieselpunk site, but it never took off. Dieselpunk don't use personas, according to them. Any hoo, I quite like the name I came up with, though possibly not right for a lounge. The Scrooched on Hooch Speakeasy.
Cheers!

Atterton

The other place also has rather few members compared to this place, keep that in mind.
Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.

MWBailey

*MW Brantley steps out of the oven and traipses through the kitchen and into the main lounge*

Don't mind me, just switching universes.

*disappears into a niche beside the jukebox*
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Demetrius Rust

*opens a portal, pokes head out and sniffs* "Do I detect the delightful aroma of kerosene? I do so love the smell of diesel in the early evening..." *pulls head back into portal, which closes*

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: Atterton on December 09, 2012, 03:10:59 PM
The other place also has rather few members compared to this place, keep that in mind.

But this place is aces, see? Best in the Apple. This lounge is for real Dieselpunks.

A place you can blow your wig and get some booze, I say. And with a little butter and egg, maybe we can get a real canary to sing in this joint too!

*in my best gumshoe dialect* http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/slang.html

*loud music starts playing*

What did you say? *I scream* I can't hear you!  The music's too loud~  Some Benny fella and his band from up north!

"SING, SING, SING" BY BENNY GOODMAN

Mercury Wells

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.

J. Wilhelm

*you can hear the second band rehearsing in the backroom -Glenn Miller and his Orchestra*

*Glenn Miller's band enter the stage*

(Glenn Miller made some appearances in movies the video below shows him and hos band)

Glenn Miller - Chattanooga Choo Choo - Sun Valley Serenade (1941) HQ

If you don't try, you'll never know if you like it. Your loss if you don't.

I heard Miller and his band are going to play for the troops!

Glenn Miller - In The Mood

Anyhow, I was thinking of going back to ballroom dancing.  I know how to swing (jitterbug), which is is good for both Big Band and Rock n' Roll.  Who knows? A perfect excuse to Diesel-up every now and then - as in weekly  ;) (mind you I learned to dance that before I got into Steampunk and before I even knew about Dieselpunk).

hexidecima

Quote from: JR Murray on December 09, 2012, 11:16:29 AM
I started something similar to this on another Dieselpunk site, but it never took off. Dieselpunk don't use personas, according to them. Any hoo, I quite like the name I came up with, though possibly not right for a lounge. The Scrooched on Hooch Speakeasy.

hmmmph, this dieselpunk does like to play with personas.  Della Vadas, second generation American, adventuress.   

handy list of names: http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1920s.html 

http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/decades/names1910s.html

J. Wilhelm

*The music quiets down, some couples begin to slow dance to the music, smoke fills the dance floor*

Welcome aboard! Pleased to meet you Ms.Vadas. *lays down a glass of Scotch on the rocks on the table* I'm Will Dunn, and over there is Kapitan Fritz... What brings you to this joint?  *pulls chair*  Can I get you somethin'? *signals bartender*

Glenn Miller - Perfidia (1941)

hexidecima

A Pink Lady, if you please.  Just back from Venezuela.  I much appreciate a cold drink and a band that knows how to kick out.   

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

Nathan Kowalski enters the lounge.

"Well, this place sure looks quite a bit ritzier than Doyle's. Not my usual joint, but I guess I'll give it a shot. The crowd looks friendly enough." he says out loud.

"Maybe this is the place I'll have to suck-up to another rich benefactor twice my age" he thought to himself.

But that thought dissapears when he overhears Ms. Della Vadas. "Mind telling me what you were up to in Venezuela?" he says to her.

hexidecima

She smiles archly as she fits another cigarette into a silver holder.  "Following a fool who first thought the oil fields were the path to riches and then decided that the tepuis were far more interesting with their stories of treasure.  At least I had some good fun climbing for a bit, until he met his end thanks to an ill placed piton."  Lighting the cigarette, she blows out a small stream of smoke.  "It's a curious place, interesting weather and people.  At least there isn't quite so much sabre rattling down there."

FYI, interesting weather in Venezuela :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catatumbo_lightning
tepuis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tepuis

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

"Interesting. I've been on quite a few wild goose chases myself, actually my flying boat is called the "Wild Goose Chase". Most recently I've heard T.E. Lawrence is organizing an expedition by dirigible to find Iram of The Pillars in the Rub' al Khali. I'm considering joining him, or perhaps launching my own expedition to find it myself." He pulls out a crude map and several scraps of a very old looking Arabic manuscript. "Its a long shot, but I have some Bedouin contacts in the region who may be of some assistance. Care to join me?"

"Its times like this when I feel the need to question my sanity." Nathan thought to himself.

hexidecima

"Arabia, eh? Well, at least they have the sense to allow their women to wear pants even if they insist on the veil. I'm not familiar with Iram of the Pillars, though it sounds delightfully like one of the cities in the pulps."   She lifts the cocktail and takes a sip.  "Thank you, Mr. Dunn.  I've not been to Arabia.  Perhaps a change of scenery will clear my thoughts." 

"And don't be afraid, Mr. Kowalski.  I am not, as you might term it, a "helpless dame"." 

Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz

Quote from: hexidecima on December 14, 2012, 08:43:26 PM
"Arabia, eh? Well, at least they have the sense to allow their women to wear pants even if they insist on the veil. I'm not familiar with Iram of the Pillars, though it sounds delightfully like one of the cities in the pulps."   She lifts the cocktail and takes a sip.  "Thank you, Mr. Dunn.  I've not been to Arabia.  Perhaps a change of scenery will clear my thoughts." 

"And don't be afraid, Mr. Kowalski.  I am not, as you might term it, a "helpless dame"." 

"Well I'm happy to hear you're not a "helpless dame". I never got along with those types." said Nathan. "Iram of The Pillars is mentioned in the Quran, and also in the 1001 Arabian Nights. If I'm not mistaken, it was supposedly was an extraordinarily wealthy city but got a little to greedy and sinful, so it was destroyed by God and burried beneath the sands forever. It is not at all unlike the Greek Atlantis."

(OOC note: I am trying really hard to avoid a religious discussion so please forgive me for bringing up the word "God", I don't intend to start any kind of discussion about religious beliefs at all. I also apologize for any factual errors or inaccuracies.)

hexidecima

Quote from: Zeppelin Kapitan Fritz on December 14, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
     "Well I'm happy to hear you're not a "helpless dame". I never got along with those types." said Nathan. "Iram of The Pillars is mentioned in the Quran, and also in the 1001 Arabian Nights. If I'm not mistaken, it was supposedly was an extraordinarily wealthy city but got a little to greedy and sinful, so it was destroyed by God and burried beneath the sands forever. It is not at all unlike the Greek Atlantis."

(OOC note: I am trying really hard to avoid a religious discussion so please forgive me for bringing up the word "God", I don't intend to start any kind of discussion about religious beliefs at all. I also apologize for any factual errors or inaccuracies.)

"So anything remaining of that "extraordinary wealth"?  And from what I've experienced, the natives don't like when "them feriners"... amazing how many times I've heard that phrase in all sorts of languages... go poking about their local sites."  Another drag on the holder wreathed her face in a smoky glow. "Now, for a share, I can help pay my way.  Simon was free with the gifts and his grandmama had no problem with him giving me some of her old stuff.  It was just Mother that had problems with him keeping time with a butcher's daughter.  I can hock these for a fair amount."  What might have been rhinestones in the dim light evidently are more than that and so might the glistening in her eyes at the mention of her past.

OCC: Iram also figures in some Cthullu mythos stories.  Bodes well doesn't it?  :)
Vadas is pronounced "Vadash", good Hungarian last name  :)   

J. Wilhelm

*Will take the last puff of smoke from his cigarette, blowing the smoke upwards and unceremoniously squashes it in the ashtray.  Benny goodman and orchestra are back again, playing softly in the background*

I don't know. It seems to me there are a lot of rumors, and the place is not exactly friendly.

Oh don't look at me like that! *Grins to a very surprised Nathan* I know where Sir Lawrence is headed, thanks to the old boys at Iraq Petroleum Company, and the oil concession treaty signed last year by the Sultan of Muscat.  Lawrence is going to the province of Dhofar in Northern Oman, where the geologists have been studying some interesting rock formations.  

* Will stares at the ceiling*

Now, it just happens I have taken my flying boat running errands for the petroleum company for the last three years. Right to the coasts of Dhofar, and let just say for argument sake, that Lawrences' expedition is on target, and Dhofar is the place where these ruins could be found.  Do you know if this expedition is something Lawrence's party has arranged for with the Sultan? *condescendingly looks at Nathan*

Beautiful area, Dhofar *turns to Della and gestures with his hands*  It really surprised me the first time I saw it.  It is actually a green patch of land contrasting the desert, thanks to the annual monsoons.

*turns to Nathan* How do you plan to go past the local wali (governor) without being found out?  Without the right connections you're likely to find a couple of locals throwing lead at ya....  An airship is a mighty big target.

Unless, of course... you got help from King George. *sneering smile* Mind you, the Sultanate of Oman is not British territory, but they are controlled by the crown.  I imagine Sir Lawrence has all that fixed real smooth through the Sultanate. *grabs a second cigarette from his shirt pocket*

"bartender, Scotch; and give it to me neat this time, hold the city juice"

Benny Goodman - Moonglow (1936)

hexidecima

J. Wilhelm

**You'll forgive me if I put words in your mouths; I need to borrow your personas for just a second to follow the thread in the story ;D**

"MOONLIGHT SERENADE" BY GLENN MILLER

*Will pulls out a deck of photographs and hands them to Della*

"Color photographs,"  retorted Della.

Yes I love German technology but I hate the Germans, what can I say?  The camera came courtesy of the Petroleum Company.  The sharpest photos I ever saw. *His hands free, Will lights his cigarette using the candle on the bar, and takes a puff with his right hand, then points at the images with the same hand*

These are some shots I took from the air around of the Dohar coast.  See how green that place is?  At least until the dry season when all the vegetation dies, but every year it's the same.  I used to be an engineer with Douglas Aircraft, but since the company came into hard times I turned as a freelance aviator to  make ends meet.  Now I carry special equipment for the petroleum Company.  I do this every year, right after the Monsoons.

*she continues looking at photos and passing some to Nathan*

And this is me with my boat plane * I point to a photograph*

"Was this shot on a dock? I don' see the engines...  no propellers," *asks Della*

No.  See those pods above the wing? Those which look like floaters with large holes on them? Those are Turboreactive engines. [1]

"The new British engines?" *replied "Nathan, raising his eyebrows at the photo*

Yes, it's the new type of engine developed by the British Whittle Company.  Turboroc Mk. I. American made under license by General Electric. The large holes gulp air which is then compressed, ignited and passed through a turbine.  The hot exhaust is the passed through a nozzle. Think of them as air-breathing rockets.

"Bet it goes fast" *muttered Nathan* "How did you get your hands on these? Aren't these just for the military?" *grimacing at the photo* "...Your plane has a really long wing span."

*Will takes a second puff of smoke and the bartender places the glass of Scotch on the bar.

Thanks. *blows smoke* Put it on my tab.

Fast, but gulp fuel like rum for drunken sailors.  They do have an advantage, they work really well at altitude and high speeds and impart no torque on the aircraft.  That's why I need the long wing. I need to fly high and carry a lot of fuel. I have to fly very high with an oxygen mask, because that's the only way to make the engines efficient.

I got connections with Mr. Howard Hughes, see?  You know him, from Houston, the fidgety fella, remember? *looking at Nathan*  He made them available to me as a return for a very, very special favor I did for him once.   *Wincing while turning to Della*

*more raised eyebrows*

The British made them available for military production on both sides of the Atlantic, right after the Germans released their Heinkel engines. With all the talk of war and such.  Looks like the US is aligning with England,  at least on the supply side if things break loose.

If things get hot and the drumbeats turn into war, I'm thinking of going over to work for him (Hughes)...  I know what you're thinking.  "Why aren't you doing that already?  It's because I get a lot of money from the Petroleum Company.  They pay an awful lot for transportation.  But if war breaks out, I don't know if I might be safe continuing that line of work.  That's where Hughes Aircraft comes in.

Spoiler: ShowHide
[1] Well it is Dieselpunk   ;D

hexidecima

"I suspect if you are a pilot, you might not have a lot of say in the matter who you work for or where if war comes. Unless Mr. Hughes can pull strings for that too."  Della looked closer at the photos. "So, can these engines be fitted to a zepplin?" 

J. Wilhelm

That depends. You see, with hydrogen to float you around, you may not want the hot engine exhaust anywhere near the gas bags.  It's about 6100 degrees Fahrenheit.

*drinks some Scotch*