News:

Two-Factor Authentication is now enabled. For instructions, visit the Engine Room.

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by the Hat, September 21, 2007, 11:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Hat

We have a "What are you reading" thread, but not music one. So here it is. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who listens to music for about 1/3 of his waking hours. Anyway right now I'm listening to a band called Kiss Kiss (not to be confused with Kiss). The album is called "Reality vs. the Optimist" It's a crazy CD, it reminds me a little bit of The Used; especially their song "The Bird and the Worm." Except Kiss Kiss' entire album sounds like that.

What are you all into right now?
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Vienna Fahrmann

I'm not listening to music right now, I'm listening to "hunt for Red October" on audiobook.

Vienna

Outa_Spaceman

I'm having to listen to our band's demo recordings over and over and over and over and over again during the mixing...
I never want to hear these recordings ever again...

fewterer

Dropkick Murphys.

If you haven't heard them, think "Flogging Molly went on a drinking binge with the Sex Pistols"

Bagpipes are a kick-a punk instrument.
Michael Sheldon
Captain of the Lady Greyhound
http://pd4501-066.org/

the Hat

Quote from: fewterer on September 22, 2007, 12:58:37 AM
Dropkick Murphys.

If you haven't heard them, think "Flogging Molly went on a drinking binge with the Sex Pistols"

Yes, I have heard of the Dropkicks. I am a HUGE fan of Irish punk. Have you heard of Flatfoot 56? They play stuff along the same lines.
[color=black]"Yes, ban people, the way of the future!" -Captain Minty Gearhertz[/color]

Jake of All Trades

The Black Keys, Los Straitjackets, Brendan Benson (always on my playlist!), and lately I've been stuck on His Highness Mr. Presley's A little Less Conversation.  I tend to listen to the same twenty or so songs over and over again until I can't stand them anymore, at which point a new batch is introduced and the cycle is repeated.  Neurotic, eh? ::)

Oh, and I kinda have to hear the Jack of All Trades theme song on a regular basis...

...From the halls of Montezuma, to the shores of Tripoli...
"...it's a form of fiction, and as such, while there may be times when it's considered a worthy vehicle for pointing out some of society and individual flaws - I still want a side that will let there be lighthearted adventures in the clouds, on mars, or under the sea."
--Tinkergirl

HAC

At this moment? Gregorian Chant, from a compilation CD by the monks of the Abbey of Solesmes (VERY good chant if that's your cup of tea)
After that, quite possibly some Loreena Mckennit, or maybe some Sons of the San Joaquin, all depends...
Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

fewterer

Quote from: the Hat on September 22, 2007, 01:02:22 AM
Yes, I have heard of the Dropkicks. I am a HUGE fan of Irish punk. Have you heard of Flatfoot 56? They play stuff along the same lines.

I hadn't, now I have. Found their site http://www.flatfoot56.com/main.html

They kick. And further advance my theory that bagpipes are perfect for punk.

I mean, c'mon, war-pipes were designed to annoy and scare the enemy, right? And that's pretty much what punk music is for, so as far as I'm concerned, they were made for each other. :) And as anyone who has been in an enclosed space with a set of highland pipes can tell you, there is NO other non-amplified, portable instrument that can put out anything near that kind of sound level.
Michael Sheldon

Gnome

While I'm not listening to anything at the moment (Flash Gordon on SciFi... mmm...), my playlist includes Carl Orff (Carmina Burana), Scorpions with the Berliner Philharmoniker, Yoko Kanno (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex season two soundtrack, Be Human, and several Escaflowne soundtracks), Abney Park (all three albums), Daft Punk (same), a few Outlaw Star soundtracks, the soundtrack for Paranoia Agent, some video game songs remixed... Basically, whatever strikes my fancy makes it onto my playlist.
If you insist on referring to yourself in the third person, don't be surprised if I start referring to you in the first.
SAVE THE AIR KRAKEN! Join the 11th Greenpeace Airborne division!

Flynn MacCallister

Right at this moment, I'm listening to my brother playing Dreamtheatre's Scarred on the other side of the house... a song which I find unpleasant enough when clearly audible, but through a couple of closed doors and a reasonable amount of space between, it sounds like a cat is being strangled.

I am trying to decide whether to drown it out with Stone Sour or smother it and generally make the world a better place with Polyphonic Spree. I guess I could also whip out some opera, which would really tick him off, but I'm not really in the mood for it...

Gwen Grimm

Right now I'm listening to "New Maps of Hell" by Paul Schutze..... Odd, but I love it... after that it will probably be something by Lisa Gerrard to help me fall asleep..

the Hat

Quote from: fewterer on September 22, 2007, 01:15:14 AM

I hadn't, now I have. Found their site http://www.flatfoot56.com/main.html

They kick. And further advance my theory that bagpipes are perfect for punk.

I mean, c'mon, war-pipes were designed to annoy and scare the enemy, right? And that's pretty much what punk music is for, so as far as I'm concerned, they were made for each other. :) And as anyone who has been in an enclosed space with a set of highland pipes can tell you, there is NO other non-amplified, portable instrument that can put out anything near that kind of sound level.

*laughs*  :D Very well put!

rokkitgurl

Quote from: fewterer on September 22, 2007, 12:58:37 AM
Dropkick Murphys.

Flogging Molly and Dropkick defined my teenage years!

I do like movie soundtracks though too... that's the nerdy side of me coming out...
But specifically I am listening to some Franz Ferdinand right now...
SCHLAMPE! ... Ich liebe dich!

fewterer

Getting late, more mellow mood.

Owain Phyfe, Lágrimas De Sangriá
Michael Sheldon

Vincent Théière

I listen to all sorts of music almost constantly.  But stuff I've bought recently and am getting really into right now would include
Virgin Black - Requim Mezzo Forte, just bloody amazing.
ohana - Weak Wrists
Will Glahe and his Orchestra - Strictly Oompah
The Voodoo Kreepers - Fist Full of Voodoo
that's just a start though...

And for all those that love their punk piped, check these guys out www.thegoset.com.au

AFGNCAAP

Did I hear "soundtracks"? I am a near obsessive soundtrack geek, and proud.
"An eruption!" I said. "We're in the chimney of an active volcano?"
"I think so," said the professor smiling, "and that's the best thing that could happen to us!"
-Journey to the Center of the Earth

"The way to my heart is through my chest, with a scalpel and a bone saw."
-Lady Anne

the Hat

Quote from: AFGNCAAP on September 22, 2007, 07:03:23 AM

Too true! Anything by Danny Elfman, or Hans Zimmer is amazing.

Outa_Spaceman

A programme about E.V.P. on Resonance FM (mp3 feed)...
Or it could be just static...

Maximum Humphries

Quote from: the Hat on September 22, 2007, 02:11:36 PM

speaking of danny elfman, my brother just got me the compleate Oingo Boingo, bliss...
"Ever forward, my darling wind..."

rokkitgurl

Quote from: Maximum Humphries on September 22, 2007, 02:22:31 PM

speaking of danny elfman, my brother just got me the compleate Oingo Boingo, bliss...

Oh lordy... there are 120 complete soundtracks that are currently on my ipod...
And loads of single tracks from several dozen other movies...

SCHLAMPE! ... Ich liebe dich!

oskila

Currently listening to a mix of Architecture in Helsinki, The Go! Team, Junior Senior and the Avalanches
Whoever after due and proper warning shall be heard to utter the abominable word "Frisco", which has no linguistic or other warrant, shall be deemed guilty of a High Misdemeanor, and shall pay into the Imperial Treasury as penalty the sum of twenty-five dollars. (Emperor Norton I of the US, 1872)

Vincent Théière

Quote from: Maximum Humphries on September 22, 2007, 02:22:31 PM

Your brother is the coolest!!

Drake White

Quote from: Jake of All Trades on September 22, 2007, 01:02:58 AM
...  I tend to listen to the same twenty or so songs over and over again until I can't stand them anymore, at which point a new batch is introduced and the cycle is repeated.  Neurotic, eh? ::)
Heh I'm exactly the same, if it was possible to wear out mp3's I'd be screwed.

Usually my playlist is pretty eclectic, at the moment I've got a bit of Edwin Starr, a bit of Akon, a bit of The Animals, a bit of the Rolling Stones, a bit of the Turtles, bit of Abney Park, a bit of The Kinks, fair bit of Johnny Cash, a bit of Kanye West, few bits of the Fugees, few tracks of the Scrubs soundtrack, that Rihanna one, this Shakespears Sister tracks thats burrowing into my skull, this awesome Paul Gross track (even has bagpipes), and hell there's even a Barry White in here.

cthulhu_spawn

at the moment, ENVY from japan (amazing post rock/metal, my band is playing with them in a few months)
mogwai, Cult of luna and Isis are featuring alot. plus alot of emotive crust stuff, Leadershit, madame germen. anything fast epic and heavy.

Vincent Théière

Quote from: Alexcf on September 22, 2007, 06:41:20 PM

at the moment, ENVY from japan (amazing post rock/metal, my band is playing with them in a few months)
mogwai, Cult of luna and Isis are featuring alot. plus alot of emotive crust stuff, Leadershit, madame germen. anything fast epic and heavy.

You guys and ENVY together?!  That'd be one hell of a show!