News:

In case of emergency, please visit our Lifeboat Forum, Spare Goggles.

Main Menu

The 2d Art Thread

Started by Andy_W, September 28, 2007, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy_W

As there has been much confusion on where to post drawings, paintings, renders and the like. This is now the official thread for such posts. ;D

Insanity

I guess I'll break this thread in!

This is a sneak preview of the series I'm currently working on. I call it Victorian Robotopia. This one is actually a bit different from most in the series, but once I have them all complete, I will show them off here.

One of my friends is making me do a gallery show, so I'm currently working on a cyborg eye similar to the one pictured to wear at the opening.
Her Majesty, the King

Nathaniel Coats

right.
im new here to brass goggles, and ive already posted this once, but now that theres an art thread, maybe itll get noticed more.

sorry for the last one. my comps so slow, i coulndt completely finish uploading that last one.

Commissar Swoosh

If God thought The Doors were better than Cream, Jim Morrison would be able to defend his band today. Either this disproves God, or proves Clapton is the real god.

The Infernal Mr Adams

Quote from: Insanity on September 29, 2007, 02:19:04 AM
One of my friends is making me do a gallery show, so I'm currently working on a cyborg eye similar to the one pictured to wear at the opening.

Will it also involve a Sashabeard?  :P
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

Insanity

Quote from: The Infernal Mr Adams on October 02, 2007, 05:22:01 PM

It'll involve me wearing my cyborg eye to the opening!
Her Majesty, the King

The Infernal Mr Adams

Quote from: Insanity on October 03, 2007, 02:34:19 AM
Quote from: The Infernal Mr Adams on October 02, 2007, 05:22:01 PM

It'll involve me wearing my cyborg eye to the opening!

Bah!
Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--

Andy_W

Steampunk Grease Monkey

Pencil and Photoshop

zircher

Very nice, I've found my wallpaper of the week.   ;D
--
TAZ

Commander Obadiah

Oooh er, I think I've found my wallpaper for the month....

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

HAC

Ok, so its not 2d, but....
Work in Progress....
Spoiler tag used to prevent scrolling due to width.

Screengrab during construction - lit wireframe mode.

Spoiler: ShowHide

Rendered version

Spoiler: ShowHide

Still lots of stuff to add in. Doing piping is a real pain in Bryce...

Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

zircher

Quote from: HACStill lots of stuff to add in. Doing piping is a real pain in Bryce...
Holy rusted metal, Batman!  Very impressive, even for a WIP.
--
TAZ

dantes_torment

Aljo

Well, these aren't mine, but I've been holding on to them for a while, and they're pretty cool. They're supposed to be two steampunk sentai (think power rangers) characters. They're by someone who goes by the name of Tabbykat. I think she might have a Deviantart page by that name.

Insanity

You might want to be careful about posting other people's work. It's usually best to ask.
Her Majesty, the King

Major Francis Cleverly

Quote from: HAC on October 04, 2007, 12:05:04 AM
Still lots of stuff to add in. Doing piping is a real pain in Bryce...

That is VERY impressive.  I haven't done any 3d modeling for quite some time.  You might think about posting it (when done - or now - looks great as is) to the steamy backgrounds thread, I for one would have that as my background.
Nothing.

HAC

Done.... See the steamy backgrounds thread... 3 sizes posted for the taking...
Cheers
Harold
You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.

Clamps

Hi all,

Clamps here. I thought it might be nice to get some feedback on something I made a while ago.

This is my Incendiopter. It's a flying fire engine. Lift is provided by 4 steam-powered rotors, but heat is supplied to the boilers using a unique system involving a top secret heat-generation and fire-absorbing aparatus. The mechanics for this system are fully realised, but publishing information on the inner-workings would violate certain aspects of another work I'm developing.

Please feel free to comment.

Clamps.

dantes_torment

What is that iridescent green coming from the icosahedrons?

Ann Bartholemew

Quote from: dantes_torment on October 08, 2007, 04:20:10 PM

It's questions like this that make this the best forum ever.

Commander Obadiah

You know, we really should put together a list of the things people have said that have prompted one of us to say "It's questions like this that make this the best forum ever". I rather think that piece is lovely, by the way, but the texture needs some working. More brass, less creamy white!

Commander C. Obadiah
The Steampunk code: 'To delicately dismantle the system from within, if it's not too much trouble'

dantes_torment

More accurately:

Quote from: Commander Obadiah on October 09, 2007, 12:49:18 AM
You know, we really should put together a list of the things people have said that have prompted one of us to say "It's questions things like this that make this the best forum ever".

They aren't always questions. Sometimes, it's just a rather magnificent statement.

Clamps

Quote from: dantes_torment on October 08, 2007, 04:20:10 PM

They are the harpoons / anchors that hold the Incendiopter in place as it hovers near a burning building.
They are shot out at nearby buildings. Upon impact the glass icosahedrons shatter, spreading the green good across the surface. This goo is extremely stickly as long as it is saturated in pressurised steam. Once the steam is cut off (by the operators of the vehicle) the good quickly dries and turns to powder. Note the hose wrapped around the anchor cable to supply the steam to the goo.

The harpoon is then retrieved using the connected winch system and re-armed with a new payload.

These are required as the vehicle is never lands on the ground except in an emergency.

Quote from: Commander Obadiah on October 09, 2007, 12:49:18 AM
You know, we really should put together a list of the things people have said that have prompted one of us to say "It's questions like this that make this the best forum ever". I rather think that piece is lovely, by the way, but the texture needs some working. More brass, less creamy white!

Thank you very much.

Re- the paint job. I was attempting to create a vehicle that might look as though it had seen real service. It's long been my feeling that many steampunk inventions lack that "practical" feel. Sure I've lay awake at night wishing I could create stuff as good as many of the images I've seen on this and other sites, but many of them look too new. Perhaps I over-did it a little. I am nothing if not enthusiastic.

Any further questions?

Commander Obadiah

My advice is to make it less "white", and replace the almost purplish grey metal with something more "steamy". Kudos for trying something new, and I adore the idea about the docking anchors.

Commander C. Obadiah

Clamps

Quote from: Commander Obadiah on October 09, 2007, 06:19:17 AM
Kudos for trying something new, and I adore the idea about the docking anchors.

Thanks, I'll have a look at your suggestions. As far as the anchors goes, I'm glad you like it. Just wait till I'm able to reveal the core power systems for this vehicle. Quite revolutionary.

There's so much detail in these that I'm thinking of making an art-page just for the different systems onboard. For example I can reveal that there are 4 5-cylinder rotary steam-powered piston engines. One for each rotor. Each engine has 12 seperate steam lines running from the boiler. The line's pressure is equalised and delivered via a centripedally modulated steam distributor.

Clamps