News:

For Forum status and technical updates, follow @vonCorax on Twitter X, and @vonCorax@mastodon.social on Mastodon.

Main Menu

The Tradewind: OOC and Sign-up

Started by Cassandra Sheffield, May 26, 2013, 04:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What should the airship be named?

80 Days
Tradewind
Following Sea
Aurora
Providence
Other (Please specify)

Cassandra Sheffield

I'm new, so I'm not entirely sure how to get this started, but I have an idea for an RP. It would take place on an airship (name to be decided later) that is probably going to more like a flying ship than a zeppelin. It is captained by youngish Amelia "Amy" Haralson. She loves her very-nearly-piece-of-junk ship as much as she loves adventure itself. (Perhaps even more.) Amy is not always on the legal side of things, however, and has manage to make a remarkable number of enemies in her relatively short time as a captain. The plot would be pretty free; we'd essentially just go where the wind takes us, so to speak, as Amy tries to deliver a possibly illegal cargo to her client in a city half the world away. So, any takers? (Suggestions for plot details and improvement, or anything else for that matter, are welcome. If you have an idea, please fire away!)
It's hard to unwind when people around you insist on stressing you out.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

Alexis Voltaire

Voted for Following Sea, I like the name.

Generally RP's on here start out with a recruitment page asking for people to join in and post character profiles.  (A tip here, if you hit modify on your original post you can change the title of the thread.) Once you feel you have enough people you can start up the game thread.

One suggestion about plots is to use short plots in a series or episode type format, instead of one long novel-style story arc. Episode RP's have become pretty popular on here and it seems games of this type last longer and are easier to manage. If you would like help with plots I can share some info via PM.

~-- Purveyour of Useless Facts, Strange Advice, Plots --~

The Corsair

Not too keen on wooden boats that fly...

Anyway, I'll put in a vote later and if this gets some momentum I might sign up. It's been a while since I've done an RP here.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

MWBailey

I've got a few irons in the fire at the moment, but this looks like it could be interesting.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

The Narrator

Would the world that this RP is played out in be a parallel earth,
for the purpose of choosing a history for characters?
Place of birth, nationality that kind of thing.

Also, do we know what city or nation we will be starting in? 

The Narrator

Oh, and I think I like The Tradewinds for the ships name.
With the "s" on it, imho. ;)

Cassandra Sheffield

Thank you all for taking an interest! I didn't think people would really care, as my "plot" was so vague...
@The Narrator: It will probably be in a parallel earth setting. I'm not sure where we would start- most likely at some city or other dropping off/picking up cargo. (Maybe Shanghai or some well-known trade city where interesting things are likely to happen. New York City or London?)

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight. Or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight. Or if he bothers me. Or if there's a woman. Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly when I'm gettin' paid." -Jayne Cobb (Firefly)

The Narrator

Oakly Vanderpool,

Born to a wealthy southern family of French Dutch descent, and raised in
and now resides in the city of New Orleans. Vanderpool retains
his gentlemanly southern manners and mellifluous deep southern accent.

Vanderpool studied Anthropology at Harvard University and received a
dual Doctor of Philosophy degree in Classics and Philosophy from Oxford
University.

Vanderpool is a withdrawn man, but can be remarkably polite, charming
or dangerous when need be. Well-learned in many subjects, he converses
easily with doctors, scientists, and intellectuals. He is the master of his
own mind when difficult circumstances demand a fresh view of the situation.

Vanderpool appreciates the finer things in life, including expensive cuisine
and wines. His interests include Bonsai trees and classical music
(though he detests opera). He is also an expert martial artist. He spent a year
in Tibet studying the deep meditative arts. Vanderpool is fluent in French,
Dutch, Italian, Latin, Greek, and Cantonese, and semi-fluent in Mandarin.
He also has some knowledge of Japanese.

Vanderpool's build is described as tall and thin, and he boasts a strong torso
with lean muscle. Vanderpool has silver-colored eyes, and long brown hair.
He typically dresses in a trade mark yellow, hand-tailored, Italian suit
regardless of weather conditions. His demeanor is that of someone taking in
even the smallest details.

He carries a revolver, a five-shot .45 Colt Anaconda double-action revolver.
And a sword cane as well as a variety of hidden tools.

icon to the left is Vanderpool

Cassandra Sheffield

Wow. Very detailed. ;D Welcome aboard the Tradewind, as vote decrees she'll be called. On the topic of opinions, there was an earlier comment about a dislike for "flying boat"-type airships; if others feel this way, it could be more of a zeppelin-type ship. Any thoughts/preferences? (Oh, and I'll post an 'official' character sheet for Amy soon.)

zanlia copperwire

Wiress Copperplate at your service
She is an 151 year old automaton from Denmark. She runs off of Pockey Sticks. Her specialties are combat.. Really if you wanna know more about her, look at  my story under the Textual part. Should be somewhere in the first 3 pages. Its uner "Zanlia Copperwires Story" and yeah.. She has mellowed down and she now resides in New Orleans because of the musical heritage. She also has a silve steam powered snake as her partner in crime an she loves to live dangerously. She has new upgrades that will come later in the story but now spikes come out of the top of her hands and she has two large spikes that come out of her arms. She wears a black corset dress that has a burlesque style skirt along with the hat described in the story and black boots that have a silver snake etched into them that has rubys as eyes.
An automaton which runs on Pockey Sticks?! Who has heard of such a thing?! If you dont beleive me, just look at this automaton. It runs on Pockey Sticks.

Cassandra Sheffield

Nice! Welcome to the Tradewind, Miss Copperplate! (I like the bit about running on Pockey Sticks- those are so yummy. :))

The Corsair

Might be good to give us a year of some sort (assuming this is set in an alternate universe)

Name: Logan Donald Scott

History: Logan was born in London. His family moved to Edinburgh when he was 2 and he has lived there ever since. His family was wealthy and he was afforded a wonderful education but he chose not to continue his studies to the tertiary level initially, opting instead to find work here and there. Eventually he wound up being a medical assistant at a local practice that was notorious for its groundbreaking medical procedures. He chose then to attend a school of medicine so as to become a doctor while still working part-time as an assistant. In his final year of study he found out that the practice's procedures were so revolutionary because of massive experimentation carried out subjects, some of whom were live. The revelation shocked him into leaving the city and eventually the country.

It's an admittedly weak backstory, but I might develop it as we go.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Cassandra Sheffield

I think the backstory is fairly detailed, actually. :) Welcome aboard, Mr. Scott! On the Tradewind, it is very likely that we will need your medical expertise. As to a year... how about 1910? It seems to quite an interesting year. (1874 and 1895 are cool too, though. Any preferences?)

Cassandra Sheffield

Sorry for the double post, but here is some more plot information, and Amy's profile. (I decided to take Ms. Voltaire's advice and do this RP in an episode format, so here goes.)

Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood"
This episode starts after Amy crash lands her airship outside of London. She goes into the city for despairs and a crew. The problem, after she gets a crew together, is that some folk in town want to keep the Tradewind permanently grounded. It could be Amy's enemies, her father's, or simply some mean-spirited relations. Who knows?

Name: Amelia Haralson (goes by Amy)

Occupation: Airship Captain and transporter of goods, legal and non.

History: Amy was born in Boston, Massachusetts. Her family moved often, however. Her older brother joined the US Air Force when Amy was about 8 years old. She tried to join too, but they wouldn't take her, for obvious reasons. She studied flight and air travel (among other things) for years, saving up for an airship. Several years ago, Amy's mother died, and Amy's father moved her and her younger sister to London so he could continue traveling. There, Amy got a job and continued saving until she finally bought an airship from a faintly suspicious cabbie. She began to travel across Europe, making friends (and enemies) by her reckless and impulsive nature, and establishing herself as a willing transport. She crashed the Tradewind outside of London on her way to Paris.

Appearance:
Amy has a slim build, but she is also below average height, resulting in most people ignoring her. She has waist-length blond hair which is usually braided and/or tucked into her cap, upon which sits a pair of flight goggles. She wears a button-up shirt, vest, trousers, and boots. Her eyes are hazel. She always carries a compass and her dueling rapier. (She learned swordplay at a young age.) She is left-handed.

The Narrator

Just to be clear,
Is the ship sitting in some farmers plot.
Or is it in the airship yards outside of the city of London?

I was also thinking that Vanderpool would be more of a semi permanent  passenger then crew.
I have as explanation for him being aboard, it would be part of my first post.

If that's ok?

Cassandra Sheffield

Um, I was thinking it crashed in a meadow or something. As to your status as a passenger, that's perfectly fine.

I will put up the starting post in a little while, just so you all know. :)

Cassandra Sheffield

The first post is up! (Tradewind, Episode 1: "It's In My Blood") Anyone can introduce their characters at any time or place- from London to the Sinkiang to a potatoesack in the Tradewind's hold. :)

steamcowboy92

Name: Druss

History: Born in Texas to mixed parents, Druss learned to fight from an early age to protect himself from the local bullies, eventually having to flee after he shot one of them in the back late one night with his fathers pistol. Traveled from mining camp to mining camp hiring out as a willing shootist and gambler. Spent several years as a Camp Deputy before he was relieved of his duty due to excessive force.

Appearance. Tall, very stocky, short hair, grey eyes, scar running from ear to chin, black pinstriped pants, wine colored silk shirt, black vest, matching frock jacket, tall black boots, flat brimmed gamblers hat,

Gear: Converted Colt Walker in .45 long worn on a Bridgeport rig on right hip, S&W New Model Number Three chambered in 44-40 in a shoulder rig. Punch knife, buckle blade, custom knuckleduster, Apache, sawed off 8 guage.
I will kill you however I can , wherever I can, with whatever I have. You will regret ever making me decide to take action. -William W. Johnstone.

The Narrator

I am sorry,
Because of some unexpected real life "stuff" I will be unable to join in right now.
I hope to clear things up in a week or so.
If their is still an opening in the story for additional players I would love to rejoin you then.
If not, I certainly will understand.
Again sorry.
O.V.

Cassandra Sheffield

@steamcowboy92: Welcome aboard!
@The Narrator: Sorry to hear that- I hope your "stuff" turns out all right. (And of course you can rejoin later.)

Dr. Madd

Dr. Melvin Quinine Madd

Born in Tranquility, Tennessee in 1829, Madd is a master of poisons, living weapons, such as Army ants. Is wanted by the Yankee authorities in the US due to his feeding alligators in the Deep South the bodies of dead union soldiers, so the gators would associate the yankee uniforms with food. He keeps a number of jungle animals, mostly reptiles, amphibians, insects, centipedes and spiders, Dresses in a pith helmet, khakis, mutton chops- looks like me.

is a master of numerous pre-gunpowder weapons, especially the blowgun, which he keeps supplies with curare laden darts.

Rumor has it he's spent a little TOO much time among the natives, to the extant that he shrinks heads and engages in cannibalism.

Gear: Blowgun, wasp's nest bomb, khukri, back pack, ball python, blowgun darts, shrunken head

Appearance: Rotund, clad in khakis and a pith helmet, mutton chops, dark hair, rubberized black boots, rubberized gloves.

Madd also has been experimenting with rubber.
What do we want? Decapitations!

Cassandra Sheffield

Welcome to the Tradewind, Dr. Madd. *ahem* I do hope that while aboard my ship, you will refrain from any, er, native practices. It would be quite an insult to our cook.

Dr. Madd

Take a look at my entrance into the story. You said illegal cargo, how about a stolen jaguar from ye olde London zoo?
What do we want? Decapitations!

Cassandra Sheffield

Well, that's going to make for a bit of excitement. Sounds good to me.

MWBailey

I'm not sure how much or how often I'll be able to contribute, but here goes:

Name:Rafael Storm

Occupation: Mercenary, formerly of the Marauder Mercenary Corporation

History: Born in the Big Thicket area of Eastern Texas. Joined Confederate military as an Air Marine, joined up with MMC after the war along with many other former Confederate soldiers. Fought on contract in the African conflicts (Boer War, and Matabele Rebellion, The War of the Golden Stool, Anglo-Aro War, Bambatha Rebellion), The Tibet Affair, and most recently the second of the Mellian campaigns against the Riffian Tribes. Came back to London  aboard the Spanish airfrigate Mariposa.

Appearance: Tall, rangy, grey on temples, aquiline features. Brown Eyes and hair, though it's dusted with grey now.

Wears blue-gray uniform trousers; cavalry-style boots with airship cleats on soles and heels; bullet-resistant ringmail-reinforced collared lapel vest; white or grey  broadcloth shirt with green-and-tan batik keffieh-style scarf worn ascot-fashion; wide-brimmed, rolled-edge palmleaf hat; grey-blue uniform watch coat with extra-wide collar and double-breasted lapels and closure.

Gear: Heavily-modifed .44 cal. Colt Paterson revolver in fast-draw rig on right hip; large, thick-bladed panawal khukri in traditional sheath with both chakcham and utility knife on left hip; fife in scabbard case in right boot; Arkansas Toothpick style  knife in boot sheath in left boot; large-bore Coach-type blunderbuss; Possibles bag with airman's envelope repair kit, percussion caps, powder flask, shot for both pistol and blunderbuss, and three spare pop-in cylinders for the Paterson, as well as a small tin of hardtack and a flask of high-proof, barely-drinkable alcohol, and standard firestrike kit and tinderbox; wood-framed cowhide backpack with standard campaign items including change of "uniform" and small clothes, toilet kit, 2-quart flapjack style canteen, etc., also extra powder and shot, as well as several small grenades; bedroll' firewood; tomahawk axe, oilcloth tarp, sixteen ells of medium sisal rope

Disposition: relatively congenial, but has violent and serious streaks a mile wide.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"