News:

We now have an integrated wiki. Log in to the forum, then visit https://brassgoggles.net/wiki/.

Main Menu

The dusty pelt- a room for steampunks of a furry variety

Started by septango, June 12, 2013, 10:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caledonian

Passion is like a Peatfire

MWBailey

Offensive content removed by MWBailey of my own free will. Nobody told me to do this, it was my own choice. I apologize if the post offended anyone.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

"WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!"

Caledonian

Quote from: MWBailey on November 26, 2016, 11:24:49 PM
Offensive content removed by MWBailey of my own free will. Nobody told me to do this, it was my own choice. I apologize if the post offended anyone.

The pelt isn't a very well visited place, so i doubt if anyone had seen it at all. ;)

J. Wilhelm

I concur with Caledonian. I saw the original post. I didn't see anything offensive, or which would raise eyebrows. Brassgoggles is just not a furry stronghold...

Caledonian

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on December 01, 2016, 08:01:07 PM
I concur with Caledonian. I saw the original post. I didn't see anything offensive, or which would raise eyebrows. Brassgoggles is just not a furry stronghold...

Definitely isn't. There's me, crazy lee and captain percell. And none of us are that hardcore furries, as far as i know.
Besides, the furries i do know (some of my best friends are furries) are pretty hard to offend anyway.

I'm kinda curious what that original message said now.

Clym Angus

I seem to remember back in the distant past a rather unfortunate thread involving some rather derogatory comments regarding "fox hunting" "tally ho" and shotguns. It was not one of the forums finer moments. As I recall the resulting brew ha ha spilt onto several plush forums where forces were gathered accounts were made and the fuzz started to really fly.

The thread was locked, I think the ban hammer might have been thrown around a bit and generally people learned that the subject was a bit of a Tigger trigger and as such was probably best avoided.

Peace has reined ever since.....

Kensington Locke

Quote from: Clym Angus on December 02, 2016, 01:08:57 PM
I seem to remember back in the distant past a rather unfortunate thread involving some rather derogatory comments regarding "fox hunting" "tally ho" and shotguns. It was not one of the forums finer moments. As I recall the resulting brew ha ha spilt onto several plush forums where forces were gathered accounts were made and the fuzz started to really fly.

The thread was locked, I think the ban hammer might have been thrown around a bit and generally people learned that the subject was a bit of a Tigger trigger and as such was probably best avoided.

As an outsider (not a furry, just caught my eye as activity on the forum in general), a joke about fox hunting and somebody dressed up like a fox and steampunk does tickle my dark humor funny bone.

But I reckon, in light of that one anti-furry incident that hit the news and other racial stuff along the same line, I can see now, how it could be a sensitive topic.

Good to know.  Remember folks, not everybody knows something is offensive to somebody else, or even has a clue that it would be. :)

Caledonian

Quote from: Clym Angus on December 02, 2016, 01:08:57 PM

Ah. I remember being told about that incident...

Furries seem to attract a lot of negative attention anyway.

MWBailey

I'll kinda-sorta re-post the question then...

Let me say, I don't have anything against furries; I just have serious misgivings about whether or not Brantley could actually be considered "furry," because, well... there's not a single patch of fur on him, for one thing, save for his cranial, facial and body hair in human form (the switching back and forth is somewhat of an issue as well).

Plus, my post, and the original backstory for the character in question, had some rather unsavory elements (for one, the experimental involuntary surgical origin, which could be construed as"torture" in a certain (unintended) light).

I've often thought that Brantley is a kind of "AntiMary Sue,"
Spoiler: ShowHide
(he's NOT there for everybody's benefit, he's NOT a cute pretty and lovely being in disguise [a pretty gruesome one in disguise, in fact, as only a chthuloid being could be],  he's definitely NOT there to sacrifice himself for everybody else's survival [A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. and company et al notwithstanding], and he's anything BUT a Deus Ex Machina)
in the same vein as an "antihero,"

Be that as it may, many in the past have seen him as being "the same as" a Mary Sue, so there's that bit of baggage.

The question remains, though: Is it possible that he is a "furry" character, even though he was originally human?

---------------------

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: MWBailey on December 04, 2016, 03:15:15 AM

Let me say, I don't have anything against furries; I just have serious misgivings about whether or not Brantley could actually be considered "furry," because, well... there's not a single patch of fur on him, for one thing, save for his cranial, facial and body hair in human form (the switching back and forth is somewhat of an issue as well).

Plus, my post, and the original backstory for the character in question, had some rather unsavory elements (for one, the experimental involuntary surgical origin, which could be construed as"torture" in a certain (unintended) light).

(he's NOT there for everybody's benefit, he's NOT a cute pretty and lovely being in disguise [a pretty gruesome one in disguise, in fact, as only a chthuloid being could be],  he's definitely NOT there to sacrifice himself for everybody else's survival [A.U.N.T.S.A.L.L.Y. and company et al notwithstanding], and he's anything BUT a Deus Ex Machina)

Be that as it may, many in the past have seen him as being "the same as" a Mary Sue, so there's that bit of baggage.

The question remains, though: Is it possible that he is a "furry" character, even though he was originally human?

---------------------

You mean something like devolving? Humans who revert to earlier animals? I haven't seen a "mammals only" rule among the very few furries I have seen online. I have a feeling that the definition of furry is equally fuzzy and a bit of a hairy question to tackle (punk intended  ;D).

Caledonian

---------------------

I'd say so. I've actually seen this a lot! (Mostly in fetish art, i must admit. I keep running in that damn transformation fetish)
With how broad the furry fandom can be, i don't see why this character shouldn't be furry. However by lack of fur you might want to refer to them as a scalie. Some non-furred furries prefer that term.

The main question is: do you want people to regard this character as a "furry" character. If no, you shouldn't fuss about it too much, if yes, well, the main thing is you claim it as a furry character.

A nice lad I know by the name of Dr Gravitas has a fursona that's described as a "sapient multiverse" for a species.
Make of that what you will.

Caledonian

You mean something like devolving? Humans who revert to earlier animals? I haven't seen a "mammals only" rule among the very few furries I have seen online. I have a feeling that the definition of furry is equally fuzzy and a bit of a hairy question to tackle (punk intended  ;D).
[/quote]

This isn't any less a furry than things with fur are. ;)

MWBailey

Quote from: J. Wilhelm on December 04, 2016, 06:23:25 AM

---------------------

You mean something like devolving? Humans who revert to earlier animals? I haven't seen a "mammals only" rule among the very few furries I have seen online. I have a feeling that the definition of furry is equally fuzzy and a bit of a hairy question to tackle (punk intended  ;D).

I suppose we may have to comb through the tangle and see...

J. Wilhelm

Quote from: MWBailey on December 05, 2016, 01:58:51 AM
Quote from: J. Wilhelm on December 04, 2016, 06:23:25 AM

---------------------

I suppose we may have to comb through the tangle and see...

Arguably some reptilians could also be considered to be "furry" or rather feathery...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velociraptor#/media/File:Dromaeosaurid_parade_by_durbed.jpg

John_R_Isadore

Now this is my lounge! Salutations, everyone! I notice that this posted in for quite some time. I'd just like to say that my fursona is Mr. Turnip, who is a turnip.

Clym Angus

So..... Vegetable fetish? No, I er sorry. I didn't mean that in a derogatory way. The pure idea of fetish is a needful thing or needful part of a living thing.
But this does raise some interesting questions. I don't thing we have adequate words for the areas of pleasure humanity has encompassed.

At the very least it's slapdashly catalogued.   

Caledonian

Quote from: John_R_Isadore on April 13, 2017, 07:26:33 PM
Now this is my lounge! Salutations, everyone! I notice that this posted in for quite some time. I'd just like to say that my fursona is Mr. Turnip, who is a turnip.

make hello Mister turnip! welcome to the dusty pelt! my sona is a blackface sheep, so does that make us haggis and neeps?
i knew a guy who had a bread sona so hey, nice to meet ya!

MWBailey

Quote from: Caledonian on December 04, 2016, 12:34:30 PM

You mean something like devolving? Humans who revert to earlier animals? I haven't seen a "mammals only" rule among the very few furries I have seen online. I have a feeling that the definition of furry is equally fuzzy and a bit of a hairy question to tackle (punk intended  ;D).

This isn't any less a furry than things with fur are. ;)

[/quote]

Sorry, saw this earlier, but life got all hectic and I wasn't able to get back to it at that time.

Devolving? Depends on what you mean by that. If you mean Brantley reverts to an earlier form of human ancestor or ancestral animal, no. He's the surgically-produced equivalent of a human/Old One (in the Lovecraftian sense), ore more precisely, a human/Cthuloid Martian hybrid with the dimension/time travelling abilities of a being such as Chthulhu, Cthuga or Hastur - complete with tentacles and all, albeit still roughly human-shaped and -sized (in a later RP than the one in which he originated (The Log of the HMAS Badger), he retained enough humanity, including human proportions, after transforming to be able to draw and fire his mauser and kill a priestess of a renegade reptilian order of Old Ones Worshippers who fell afoul of the very beings they claimed to worship (I did say "antihero," LOL).

The original intent of his surgical transmutation (as originally delineated in the RP Extended Steam Salon), was to artificially create a "First Ancestor" of a proposed Timelord race to rival and stand against the Gallifreyans (yeah, we borrowed pretty heavily from various fandoms in that one, LOL. I get kind of ridiculous when let myself have totally free rein...). What actually happened was the creation of a human/cthulid monster that, Frankensteinian style, rebelled against it's creators and went on a centuries-long quest to bring down the Cthuloid Martian empire - which is more or less what happened, except that it was mainly by the efforts of his companions and the Pan-Dimensional regulatory organization that he joined up with, than by Brantley himself.

There's a lot more to his lore (lol) than that, but that's basically what he is and where he came from.

I had a pic of him that I drew years ago for an avatar on a Furry Fandom website, but Danged if I can find it now. Oh well, maybe I can whip one out sometime later...

MWBailey

Quote from: John_R_Isadore on April 13, 2017, 07:26:33 PM

Interesting! And Welcome.

John_R_Isadore

make hello Mister turnip! welcome to the dusty pelt! my sona is a blackface sheep, so does that make us haggis and neeps?

[/quote]

The pleasure's mine. Haggis and neeps? Okay, I laughed. I'd suppose that does make us that.

Caledonian

Did i not even show my secundary tertiary sona design here??

Ld. D Foxworth

Ahoy,
I notice there appears to be little activity here. Understandable I guess.
In an effort to liven discussions, I introduce my steam-fursona whom I take to both steampunk and furry events equally.

Whilst I cannot speak for other areas of the globe, I (and my other steampunk-furry friends) have not had any significant problems with mixing genres here in the antipodes.

Lord Darius Foxworth
(here photographed at the Kingdom of Ironfest earlier this year)

MWBailey

I had to just go ahead and redraw it, but this is approximately what my old Furtopia avatar looked like...

http://imgur.com/a/i55zV

Caledonian

Quote from: Ld. D Foxworth on August 29, 2017, 01:33:04 AM
Ahoy,
I notice there appears to be little activity here. Understandable I guess.
In an effort to liven discussions, I introduce my steam-fursona whom I take to both steampunk and furry events equally.

Whilst I cannot speak for other areas of the globe, I (and my other steampunk-furry friends) have not had any significant problems with mixing genres here in the antipodes.

Lord Darius Foxworth
(here photographed at the Kingdom of Ironfest earlier this year)

That appears to be a broken picture. Anyways, pleasure to meet you, lord Foxworth.

Yours,
Lord Dalzell Caledon Wynde-shierre (aka SteamSheep)

Prof Marvel

Quote from: Caledonian on April 13, 2017, 08:48:07 PM

well....
there is that well known German personality

Bernd Das Brot

it statrted as a time-filler mascot for KiKa, a German kid's television station available in many parts of Europe that has no programming between 9 PM and 6 AM. Instead of showing infomercials, they show this: a 15 minute clip that loops all night with a puppet from one of their kid's shows who bitches about being on TV, argues with a disembodied voiceover, and falls down a lot.

https://youtu.be/Yp0QmLsgZi0

"Bernd das Brot (Bernd the Breadloaf). is a star on the German children's TV network KIKA. He can best be described as a German Muppet in the form of a loaf of bread, and he hosts the show with his two comrades, Chili das Schaf (Chili the Sheep) and Briegel der Busch (Briegel the Bush). It's a variety show with skits and music and lots of additional (human) actors, musicians and dancers. Bernd and his friends were, I believe, intended to appeal to children; but soon their popularity grew with teens and young adults and became a cult classic that still airs on KIKA -- at a time of night when most of the Kinder should be sound asleep."

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.kika.de/bernd-das-brot/sendereihe1210.html&prev=search
MIGRATION to Spare Goggles under way